Using Daze on Downed State enemy players?

Justine.6351

So when going to stomp an enemy player I can interrupt some of their skills but my question is can I preemptively daze someone like an ele to block vapor form or does daze not function on them?

A side question is when do I interrupt a necromancer's fear skill? It seems like its possible to rupt too early as I still eat a fear but also even if I interrupt near the end of animation I still am feared? What is the deal with that skill?

Ty

• Confused 2

@Justine.6351 said:So when going to stomp an enemy player I can interrupt some of their skills but my question is can I preemptively daze someone like an ele to block vapor form or does daze not function on them?

A side question is when do I interrupt a necromancer's fear skill? It seems like its possible to rupt too early as I still eat a fear but also even if I interrupt near the end of animation I still am feared? What is the deal with that skill?

Ty

I dont think rupting downed people actually works, you get rupt message and they continue withthe skill anyways.the only CC that seem to matter is launch and specific knockbacks.rev has 2 as its the class played by the best and the best tend to win

• Thanks 1

@Leonidrex.5649 said:

@Justine.6351 said:So when going to stomp an enemy player I can interrupt some of their skills but my question is can I preemptively daze someone like an ele to block vapor form or does daze not function on them?

Ty

I dont think rupting downed people actually works, you get rupt message and they continue withthe skill anyways.the only CC that seem to matter is launch and specific knockbacks.rev has 2 as its the class played by the best and the best tend to win

You can interrupt players in downed state using dazed but I am not sure if dazed itself is actually applied which is wierd. Rev only has 1 downed state cc.

I can interrupt,guardian bubblewarrior hammer

I think I can interrupt?rev pushranger dazenecro fear sometimesmesmer stealth

have yet to experience blocking,engi pullele vaporformthief stealth

Hard to tell with ele because sometimes they choose to not vaporform.

• Confused 2

If you want to "interrupt" an ele from using their vapor form ONCE they're downed, use Sword #3 to keep them immobilized, I always do this in WvW and it works everytime when picking off downed. In terms of Necro fear, those types of players tend to be predictable and will just fear you right away especially if they notice you about to finish them off. So you can either Blur yourself or go in stealth. Save your dazes/interrupts for when in combat and don't waste it on people who are downed.

@"Tseison.4659" said:If you want to "interrupt" an ele from using their vapor form ONCE they're downed, use Sword #3 to keep them immobilized, I always do this in WvW and it works everytime when picking off downed. In terms of Necro fear, those types of players tend to be predictable and will just fear you right away especially if they notice you about to finish them off. So you can either Blur yourself or go in stealth. Save your dazes/interrupts for when in combat and don't waste it on people who are downed.

But I have more interrupts than defensive skills.

• Confused 2

@Justine.6351 said:

@"Tseison.4659" said:If you want to "interrupt" an ele from using their vapor form ONCE they're downed, use Sword #3 to keep them immobilized, I always do this in WvW and it works everytime when picking off downed. In terms of Necro fear, those types of players tend to be predictable and will just fear you right away especially if they notice you about to finish them off. So you can either Blur yourself or go in stealth. Save your dazes/interrupts for when in combat and don't waste it on people who are downed.

Is this for PvP/WvW?Staple skills for those areas (for me) are Blink, a Breakstun and then the other is situational and I mostly run core Mesmer so Distortion too.

@Tseison.4659 said:

@Tseison.4659 said:If you want to "interrupt" an ele from using their vapor form ONCE they're downed, use Sword #3 to keep them immobilized, I always do this in WvW and it works everytime when picking off downed. In terms of Necro fear, those types of players tend to be predictable and will just fear you right away especially if they notice you about to finish them off. So you can either Blur yourself or go in stealth. Save your dazes/interrupts for when in combat and don't waste it on people who are downed.

Is this for PvP/WvW?Staple skills for those areas (for me) are Blink, a Breakstun and then the other is situational and I mostly run core Mesmer so Distortion too.

wvwI play double mantra chrono. Don't really have space for stealth and I want to play interrupts because its interesting and different.

• Confused 2

• 10 months later...

For anyone interested, I have found that the following classes can be denied their downed state buttons by interrupting,

Warrior hammer throw (big cast time so easy to spot)

Guardian bubble (if they aren't auto attacking but have you targeted, they will turn towards your character first, interrupt)

Rev (is hard to catch compared to warrior's hammer, I usually just distortion/stealth stomp them)

Thief (can only really telestomp since their teleport and stealth seem to be instant)

Engi (while the pull can be interrupted I usually just put up reflect or stealth/distortion stomp)

Ranger (same as guardian, if I have stealth or distortion available I do that instead though because of pet)

Necro (still hit or miss, I tend to stealth/distortion stomp)

Mesmer (if they animation turn away from your character while you are stomping, interrupt them. Ty anet)

Ele (sword 3 to prevent them from moving in vapor form, cannot interrupt sadly)

• Thanks 4
  • Confused 2

On 4/8/2021 at 3:30 AM, Leonidrex.5649 said:

I dont think rupting downed people actually works, you get rupt message and they continue with the skill anyways.

This is what I always assumed was true.  That you can get the "interrupt" for the purposes of your traits/sigils/etc. but the enemy isn't actually interrupted.

2 hours ago, Justine.6351 said:

For anyone interested, I have found that the following classes can be denied their downed state buttons by interrupting

Does it actually prevent their skill from activating though?  I need to do some testing. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jables.4659 said:

This is what I always assumed was true.  That you can get the "interrupt" for the purposes of your traits/sigils/etc. but the enemy isn't actually interrupted.

Does it actually prevent their skill from activating though?  I need to do some testing. 

yes they are interrupted and the skill doesn't go off. I could do a small compilation as I have some clips of it. Certainly many mesmer examples as they are the obvious ones. The ranger and guardian ones are "tricky" to know because "maybe they were just turing to auto attack?" but yeah 90% sure those were the cc skills denied. Its just something you get to know when stomping. If they arn't immediately doing auto attacks but halfway through the stomp they are suddenly turning to use a skill on you, that is like 90% them going to cc you just out of spite or possibly an ally nearby who can try to save them.

• Confused 2

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/14/2022 at 8:51 PM, Justine.6351 said:

Been doing this more. It feels good.

I presume you were also asking if the condition daze can be applied to downstate players thus preventing them from using their downstate skills. As far as I know it's not possible, I certainly can't remember any time when I couldn't use a downstate skill except maybe when knocked back etc.
Also yes I've managed to interrupt some skills like necro fear but I'll be honest, it's more luck than skill due to quick cast and having to anticipate the skill like you would have to "anticipate steal".

• Like 1

4 hours ago, apharma.3741 said:

I presume you were also asking if the condition daze can be applied to downstate players thus preventing them from using their downstate skills. As far as I know it's not possible, I certainly can't remember any time when I couldn't use a downstate skill except maybe when knocked back etc.
Also yes I've managed to interrupt some skills like necro fear but I'll be honest, it's more luck than skill due to quick cast and having to anticipate the skill like you would have to "anticipate steal".

Yeah daze doesn't seem to apply but it still interrupts for some reason.

Most of the downedstate skills are telegraphed in some capacity. By either character turning or slower cast animation.

Mesmer has by far the easiest to interrupt downed skill and I would argue one of the more improtant ones to do so since it can reliably save them if their allies are around. I have a vid coming out soon which has some stomps with reacted interrupts (as opposed to "guessing").

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

18 hours ago, Justine.6351 said:

Yeah daze doesn't seem to apply but it still interrupts for some reason.

Most of the downedstate skills are telegraphed in some capacity. By either character turning or slower cast animation.

Mesmer has by far the easiest to interrupt downed skill and I would argue one of the more improtant ones to do so since it can reliably save them if their allies are around. I have a vid coming out soon which has some stomps with reacted interrupts (as opposed to "guessing").

Which one? The teleport or the 6K+ phantasmal rogue that randomly one shots me on glass? 😁
What's interesting is the big difference in downstate cast times and sometimes power of the skills: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/List_of_downed_skills

• 2 weeks later...

Here you can see dazes work, however I also use greatsword 5(knockback) and it does nothing on downed, not even interrupt. (however it would work on players reviving a downed state player so anyone in that situation would be knocked away from the downed player)

GS5 is a knockback but, not a launch. If it were classified as a launch, like Stomp, from Warrior, then it would work and the downed player would be launched the appropriate distance away from you.

I seem to remember dazes and launches always working on downed, and I am also sure stuns do as well. I know at least dazes work because I have locked warriors down with daze CC spam and prevented them from using their 3 and 2. Same goes with most other classes but warriors you for sure know you got them because the animation for 2 is so unique/slow lol and their 3 is the most powerful downed ability in the game IMO.

I have also interrupted Ranger's downed blind alongside their pet abilities and their pet revives too. I have even interrupted Guardian 2.

The easiest classes to test CC on when they are downed are guardians/necros because their downed 1 skill is a channel, something like 3-4secs too.

Things you can't interrupt are anything instant cast, so ele's and thieves mostly, but for those it's just a matter of bluffing them out so they use their ports first, then you stomp, or if it's a team fight just cleave them down.

Here is locking a guardian down so they can't cast their downed 2.

Edited by Waffles.5632
  • Confused 2

Daze and Stuns do not interrupt downed enemies unless it's the 4 channeling skill, which is also interrupted by damage but that one actually causes a white flash signaling CC application. 

Only surefire way to interrupt downed state enemies are Launches and Blinds (for their downstate CC) 

Not even knockbacks affect downstate btw, I've tried many times to Surge of the Mist downstated enemies but their actions go through regardless. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Yasai.3549 said:

Daze and Stuns do not interrupt downed enemies unless it's the 4 channeling skill, which is also interrupted by damage but that one actually causes a white flash signaling CC application. 

Only surefire way to interrupt downed state enemies are Launches and Blinds (for their downstate CC) 

Not even knockbacks affect downstate btw, I've tried many times to Surge of the Mist downstated enemies but their actions go through regardless. 

?

Many downed skills can be interrupted using daze.

• Confused 2