A necessary improvement in preparation for the Legendary Armory

@Ayrilana.1396 said:It still doesn’t matter whether the content is abandoned or not.

Maybe it doesn't matter to you, but it does matter when we consider the purpose you claimed those rewards have.

Legendaries tied to specific game modes are there to drive players to play them.Driving players to a specific mode is important to devs only if they still care about the content being played. If they abandoned said content, it means they no longer care about it. Thus, that original purpose suddenly becomes meaningless. It basically no longer exists.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:It still doesn’t matter whether the content is abandoned or not.

Maybe it doesn't matter to you, but it does matter when we consider the purpose you claimed those rewards have.

Legendaries tied to specific game modes are there to drive players to play them.Driving players to a specific mode is important to devs only if they still care about the content being played. If they abandoned said content, it means they no longer care about it. Thus, that original purpose suddenly becomes meaningless. It basically no longer exists.

Exactly my point, thank you...not arguing about whether it is too hard or whether anyone's unwillingness to play such modes is valid or not, but why continue to drive players to those modes that the devs no longer support...what is the purpose behind that? For devs to let that part of their game stagnate, like a swimming pool that never gets chlorine treatments or filtration, and yet continue to push people into the green water to reach the other side where there's a nice martini lunch waiting instead of letting them walk around the pool...that's just kitten. Clean the pool already, entice people to jump in!

@Astralporing.1957 said:

By all means provide evidence (i.e. facts) that WvW is abandoned. Even then, it still doesn't matter as I've stated multiple times. Look at core Tyria, HoT, PoF, or any of the previous living story seasons. Have those been abandoned by Anet? Do you see them adding new content to them? Do you see them fixing bugs?

@Astralporing.1957 said:

I think “neglected” is more accurate than “abandoned.”

Personally, I do not think forcing players to play multiple game modes in the same game is EVER a good idea. For the vast majority of games, solo/pve game modes and competitive/pvp game modes offer vastly different types of experiences. Whatever experiences a player enjoys in one game mode may not exist at all in other game modes. That's why so many players do not play multiple game modes in the same game.

A player who enjoys multiple game modes can enjoy multiple modes just fine without rewards forcing them to play multiple modes. However, for players who do not enjoy other modes because those do not have what they like about the game, being forced to those other modes for rewards will only lead to a bad experience.

If Anet wants players to try different game modes, entice players to TRY these modes. Do not forcefully LOCK players in for exclusive rewards. And brushing off that nobody NEEDS legendaries is foolish, especially for a game genre where in-game rewards is so important. That's like telling players to quit the game because nobody NEEDS to play this game.

As for different difficulties in the same mode, I love it when games have multiple ways of obtaining stuff. A quick but challenging way, and a slow but easy way. For example, if it takes raiders 2 months to get legendary armors, give open world players easier ways to obtain the same armors in 4 months.

@BlueJin.4127 said:

@"Ayrilana.1396" said:It still doesn’t matter whether the content is abandoned or not.

Personally, I do not think forcing players to play multiple game modes in the same game is ever a good idea. For the vast majority of games, solo/pve game modes and competitive/pvp game modes offer vastly different types of experiences. Whatever experiences a player enjoys in one game mode may not exist at all in other game modes. That's why so many players do not play multiple game modes in the same game.

A player who enjoys multiple game modes can enjoy multiple modes just fine without rewards forcing them to play multiple modes. However, for players who do not enjoy other modes because those do not have what they like about the game, being forced to those other modes for rewards will only lead to a bad experience.

If Anet wants players to try different game modes, entice players to TRY these modes. Do not forcefully LOCK players in for exclusive rewards. And brushing off that nobody NEEDS legendaries is foolish, especially for a game genre where in-game rewards is so important. That's like telling players to quit the game because nobody NEEDS to play this game.

The enticement is already there, Legendary items. You see, this thread isn't about "fixing" that, it's about removing it. It's about "I want this, but I don't want to do that to get it, so we need to get an alternative way to do it". Since the gear isn't needed for anything, nobody's forced to do anything. I won't have to do anything I don't want, because all the gear I need to play the game can be obtained w/out ever looking at that content. I can get all the ascended jewelry I need by simply logging in every day. Weapons might be cool to get, but I don't need them. The same can be said for armor.

@BlueJin.4127 said:

@"Ayrilana.1396" said:It still doesn’t matter whether the content is abandoned or not.

I think “neglected” is more accurate than “abandoned.”Yes. I mentioned "abandoned" in the context of dungeons, which @"Ayrilana.1396" brought up. WvW is indeed more in the "heavily neglected" category. The original point however still stands.

In fact, in the context of WvW, devs once flat said (after the 3 "WvW season" special events, which were done in order to induce more players into the mode) that them pushing players into WvW has in all of those cases resulted in overall drop of player population in this content after a while.

The truth is, players forced into the mode don't stay after they've obtained what they came for, but while they are stil there, they usually manage to create a lot of tensions with the players "native" to that mode, who as a result do not really want to see too many newcomers at all. They also often manage to disrupt the state of the mode to the degree where it negatively impacts enjoyment of others.

Create a situation where too many players in a certain mode are there only for rewards, but don't care about the content itself, and it starts negatively impacting those that do like it, pushing them away. And if the rewards are too good, and those that are there for them start to outnumber those that genuinely like the content, the mode starts dying, because the players that truly care about it end up leaving.

It happened more than once in WvW. It happened (and to an even much greater degree) to SPvP. It keeps creating tensions in raids. And while raids still manage to defend agains that invasion due to difficulty barrier, and the (fully justified) gatekeeping the raid community adopted very fast, i'm certain that the overall effect there is also a net negative.

I see many posts that are just a lot of words for "I want cheaper legendaries". Its all the same, all the Gob, raids for armor or MC scarcity complaints.Noone is forcing anyone to play anything. There is no content locked behind legendaries but the weapon or armor itself. The path to them is fine, people are crafting them for 8 years. If anything they are easier to get than ever in the past.

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@"robertthebard.8150" said:So they're going to add this to the Cash Shop, or otherwise monetize it? Won't that make the game P2W then? If not, it's not going to add significantly to their bottom line, because all the people that want this, are playing now.

How did adding legendary armor to raids add to their bottom line? How did adding it to SPvP did the same? How did introducing second generation of legendary weapons add to their bottom line? Notice, none of those were added to cash shop and monetized, and all of those were offered for people that were already playing.So, how adding an open world legendary armor would be different from those?

And, again, why are you so dead set against it, if it's only because "it's unnecessary"?

Why is raid selling allowed on the lfg while posting about home instance farming is not allowed? Its very simple, the gold from raid selling come from gems to gold, raid selling promotes buying gems. Legendary gear makes anet $ by making people play the game while making it cost alot of resources and then they can sell short cuts, either official ones like buying tons of materials off the tp, or unofficial ones like buying boss kills.

@"BlueJin.4127" said:If Anet wants players to try different game modes, entice players to TRY these modes. Do not forcefully LOCK players in for exclusive rewards. And brushing off that nobody NEEDS legendaries is foolish, especially for a game genre where in-game rewards is so important. That's like telling players to quit the game because nobody NEEDS to play this game.

but nobody needs, equipament tab made legendaries near useless. equip and farm 3 ascedends sets is really far easier and less costly than a legendary armor.

the only reason now is looks, but pvp/wvw dont have "exclusive looks" for legendary.

@Shadowmoon.7986 said:

@"robertthebard.8150" said:So they're going to add this to the Cash Shop, or otherwise monetize it? Won't that make the game P2W then? If not, it's not going to add significantly to their bottom line, because all the people that want this, are playing now.

How did adding legendary armor to raids add to their bottom line? How did adding it to SPvP did the same? How did introducing second generation of legendary weapons add to their bottom line? Notice, none of those were added to cash shop and monetized, and all of those were offered for people that were already playing.So, how adding an open world legendary armor would be different from those?

And, again, why are you so dead set against it, if it's only because "it's unnecessary"?

Why is raid selling allowed on the lfg while posting about home instance farming is not allowed? Its very simple, the gold from raid selling come from gems to gold, raid selling promotes buying gems. Legendary gear makes anet $ by making people play the game while making it cost alot of resources and then they can sell short cuts, either official ones like buying tons of materials off the tp, or unofficial ones like buying boss kills.

Do you have evidence that backs up where the gold players spend to buy raids comes from? Or is this just you making a guess. Please enlighten me with your facts.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

Do you have evidence that backs up where the gold players spend to buy raids comes from? Or is this just you making a guess. Please enlighten me with your facts.

I do not know anyone who buys raids, but i do know whales exist. Teapot interviewed a whale who spent $1000 on gems to gold to buy trick or treat bags to get bloodstone dust to make ascended armor.To be honest the gold for raid buying has to come from somewhere, and as long as gem to gold is the highest gold payout, there is probably a good chance alot of it is coming from there. Same as server transfer in wvw.

@Shadowmoon.7986 said:

I do not know anyone who buys raids, but i do know whales exist. Teapot interviewed a whale who spent $1000 on gems to gold to buy trick or treat bags to get bloodstone dust to make ascended armor.To be honest the gold for raid buying has to come from somewhere, and as long as gem to gold is the highest gold payout, there is probably a good chance alot of it is coming from there. Same as server transfer in wvw.

All of that is based entirely on a guess with nothing but circumstantial evidence to back it. Just because there exists a methods to buy gold in the game; doesn't mean that this is where the gold for raid buys are coming from. Furthermore, this doesn't mean that raid sellings are allowed on the TP for this reason as those type of listings were allowed in GW1. There are numerous ways to earn gold in this game and the majority of the richest players in the game have done so without using their credit card to obtain that wealth.

@Shadowmoon.7986 said:

I seen post about looking for full home or home instance tips welcome all the time on lfg.So were did you get the idea it was not allowed?

@Linken.6345 said:

I seen post about looking for full home or home instance tips welcome all the time on lfg.So were did you get the idea it was not allowed?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/cutai0/sharing_full_home_instance/Now my understanding dornsinger no longer works for the company, but i still do not want to risk a 3 day ban for "lfg abuse"

@Shadowmoon.7986 said:

Now my understanding dornsinger no longer works for the company, but i still do not want to risk a 3 day ban for "lfg abuse"

From one of the top comments in that Reddit thread

the reasoning dornsinger gave... last week or so in a thread, is that the LFG is supposed to be used to form groups with the purpose of clearing content

This is one thing that I chose not to bring up in my previous post.

@Shadowmoon.7986 said:

Now my understanding dornsinger no longer works for the company, but i still do not want to risk a 3 day ban for "lfg abuse"

Only one in the reddit thread keep insisting that its lfg abuse and that they were banned for itThey probabely did something else wrong and are useing this to cover it up.

@Astralporing.1957 said:

I think “neglected” is more accurate than “abandoned.”Yes. I mentioned "abandoned" in the context of dungeons, which @"Ayrilana.1396" brought up. WvW is indeed more in the "heavily neglected" category. The original point however still stands.

In fact, in the context of WvW, devs once flat said (after the 3 "WvW season" special events, which were done in order to induce more players into the mode) that them pushing players into WvW has in all of those cases resulted in overall
drop
of player population in this content after a while.

The truth is, players forced into the mode don't stay after they've obtained what they came for, but while they are stil there, they usually manage to create a lot of tensions with the players "native" to that mode, who as a result do
not
really want to see too many newcomers at all. They also often manage to disrupt the state of the mode to the degree where it negatively impacts enjoyment of others.

Create a situation where too many players in a certain mode are there only for rewards, but don't care about the content itself, and it starts negatively impacting those that
do
like it, pushing them away. And if the rewards are too good, and those that are there for them start to outnumber those that genuinely like the content, the mode starts dying, because the players that truly care about it end up leaving.

It happened more than once in WvW. It happened (and to an even much greater degree) to SPvP. It keeps creating tensions in raids. And while raids still manage to defend agains that invasion due to difficulty barrier, and the (fully justified) gatekeeping the raid community adopted very fast, i'm certain that the overall effect there is also a net negative.

What specific wvw events are you talking about

@BlueJin.4127 said:

Personally, I do not think forcing players to play multiple game modes in the same game is EVER a good idea. For the vast majority of games, solo/pve game modes and competitive/pvp game modes offer vastly different types of experiences. Whatever experiences a player enjoys in one game mode may not exist at all in other game modes. That's why so many players do not play multiple game modes in the same game.

As for different difficulties in the same mode, I love it when games have multiple ways of obtaining stuff. A quick but challenging way, and a slow but easy way. For example, if it takes raiders 2 months to get legendary armors, give open world players easier ways to obtain the same armors in 4 months.

What is the difference between forced and enticed to you.

@"yann.1946" said:

What specific wvw events are you talking aboutWvW seasons. Specifically, WvW Season 1, Spring 2014 Tournament and Fall 2014 Tournament.The reason why we haven;t got more of those is because, according to devs, even if those three were meant to bring more people in to the mode (and did it in spades when they were up - but only when they were up), in the end they helped in significantly reducing WvW population.

Turns out, if you entice players to certain content with rewards, you don't actually make them more interested in that content itself (or care about it in any way). So, if you bring in too many of them, you change the nature of the mode itself, to the point where the original players start feeling uncomfortable in there.

@mindcircus.1506 said:

@"Veprovina.4876" said:But... It's not like open world doesn't have its own legendaries (Vision, Aurora), so since the point is thatI think you also forgot the 37 openworld legendary weapons :) ? there is none in pvp/wvw/raids/fractals

If you're talking weapons, that's not 100% accurate: I think you could only claim that Gen1 are actually "open world" Gen 2 require stabilized dark energy balls, which require matrices from fractals (in the very least). Also, the first 4 Gen2 legendaries also require particular fractals.

Maybe 2.5 gen are not openworld but 2.0gen are 100% openworld, they are composed like gen1 of 3-4 long collection with only openworld stuffs in it.Really.... how are you getting your Gift of Battle in Open World?What about all the fractals?

Late but you can farm Open World and then buy matrices. Gift of Battle is not skippable but it's not hard either

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@"yann.1946" said:

What specific wvw events are you talking aboutWvW seasons. Specifically,
and
.The reason why we haven;t got more of those is because, according to devs, even if those three were meant to bring more people in to the mode (and did it in spades when they were up - but
only
when they were up), in the end they helped in significantly
reducing
WvW population.

Do you have a source?

Turns out, if you entice players to certain content with rewards, you don't actually make them more interested in that content itself (or care about it in any way). So, if you bring in too many of them, you change the nature of the mode itself, to the point where the original players start feeling uncomfortable in there.

Assuming that the original players have left in the past for that reason.

@lockhart.6048 said:

@"Veprovina.4876" said:But... It's not like open world doesn't have its own legendaries (Vision, Aurora), so since the point is thatI think you also forgot the 37 openworld legendary weapons :) ? there is none in pvp/wvw/raids/fractals

If you're talking weapons, that's not 100% accurate: I think you could only claim that Gen1 are actually "open world" Gen 2 require stabilized dark energy balls, which require matrices from fractals (in the very least). Also, the first 4 Gen2 legendaries also require particular fractals.

Maybe 2.5 gen are not openworld but 2.0gen are 100% openworld, they are composed like gen1 of 3-4 long collection with only openworld stuffs in it.Really.... how are you getting your Gift of Battle in Open World?What about all the fractals?

Late but you can farm Open World and then buy matrices. Gift of Battle is not skippable but it's not hard eitherRegarding Fractals I was referring to the collection peices, not the matricies. All Gen2 collections require 2-3 fractals if I am not mistaken.