Please let us exchange GoE for GoB and vice versa

@Veprovina.4876 said:

@"Mungo Zen.9364" said:That said, why would a WvW player advocate for someone who doesn't like the game mode to force themselves to play it? It isn't like it is making WvW better for anyone.

It's more along the lines of "Anet is not going to change a thing so we might as well help you through it with tips and tricks".Cause it's been a while since Anet got WvW some attention, and at this point, if they just remove GoB as a requirement and change it to a PvE acquisition (which it largely is already), WvW players would be pissed AF because that would basically mean Anet gave up on the mode. Especially if WvW players wouldn't be given an alternative to get their GoE through WvW only.

So since no one can for years nudge Anet to do anything about WvW except minor things, people rather tell others to just do WvW and get their GoB as intended.Plus, there's always a chance someone might go in with an open mind instead of "i hate WvW cause i was bored running camps" and actively try the mode out, join a squad, join a discord/TS and follow commander, roam and kill people, join a fight squad etc... That's infinitely more interesting than flipping camps.

But people that go in with the mentality of "i hate WvW" get told to flip camps because they're not open to anything else. And fair enough, they don't need to be, or maybe have extreme issues like OP that prevent them from even trying (though i still think OP can overcome this), and they get told the same. Is it boring? Yes, very. But that's all you get if you don't actually want to try the mode. It's also disingenuous from people to then judge how boring WvW is without doing even 5% of what it has to offer.

So it's a complicated layered issue.

It doesn't appear complicated. Anet has created a path to attaining GoB that creates friction within WvW community. WvW is not as appealing to the broader player base and players have found the most efficient ways to farm it. This puts different types of players with different motivations in WvW and those players are not all in synch. Anet has done little to nothing to prevent or modify this behaviour by the players (in fact, one could argue has encouraged it).

If I were to offer a solution to improving this situation I would add recurring WvW weekends were you can earn awards at an increased rate. Perhaps these could happen 2-4 times a year and are a time when all those players who need a GoB can come together and wreck WvW for a weekend. Or put another way, these weekends could incentivize non-WvW players to come and try it out, give guilds a day to recruit and train, and if it doesn't stick, that is okay, the player has had a chance to experience the mode and get the thing they wanted.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Mungo Zen.9364 said:It doesn't appear complicated. Anet has created a path to attaining GoB that creates friction within WvW community. WvW is not as appealing to the broader player base and players have found the most efficient ways to farm it. This puts different types of players with different motivations in WvW and those players are not all in synch. Anet has done little to nothing to prevent or modify this behaviour by the players (in fact, one could argue has encouraged it).Do all players in PvE have the same motivation?.... is everyone in my strike group there for the same reason?

I wouldn't mind.

We're also running under the assumption that map completion is something all pvers like... don't think that's the case.

But shouldn't it go 2 gift of exploration = 1 gift of battle? You get 2 for doing the maps.

Actually it should be 2 for 1 either way. You should exchange these things at a loss since you are bypassing something.

@Mungo Zen.9364 said:

@Mungo Zen.9364 said:That said, why would a WvW player advocate for someone who doesn't like the game mode to force themselves to play it? It isn't like it is making WvW better for anyone.

It's more along the lines of "Anet is not going to change a thing so we might as well help you through it with tips and tricks".Cause it's been a while since Anet got WvW some attention, and at this point, if they just remove GoB as a requirement and change it to a PvE acquisition (which it largely is already), WvW players would be pissed AF because that would basically mean Anet gave up on the mode. Especially if WvW players wouldn't be given an alternative to get their GoE through WvW only.

So since no one can for years nudge Anet to do anything about WvW except minor things, people rather tell others to just do WvW and get their GoB as intended.Plus, there's always a chance someone might go in with an open mind instead of "i hate WvW cause i was bored running camps" and actively try the mode out, join a squad, join a discord/TS and follow commander, roam and kill people, join a fight squad etc... That's infinitely more interesting than flipping camps.

But people that go in with the mentality of "i hate WvW" get told to flip camps because they're not open to anything else. And fair enough, they don't need to be, or maybe have extreme issues like OP that prevent them from even trying (though i still think OP can overcome this), and they get told the same. Is it boring? Yes, very. But that's all you get if you don't actually want to try the mode. It's also disingenuous from people to then judge how boring WvW is without doing even 5% of what it has to offer.

So it's a complicated layered issue.

It doesn't appear complicated. Anet has created a path to attaining GoB that creates friction within WvW community. WvW is not as appealing to the broader player base and players have found the most efficient ways to farm it. This puts different types of players with different motivations in WvW and those players are not all in synch. Anet has done little to nothing to prevent or modify this behaviour by the players (in fact, one could argue has encouraged it).

If I were to offer a solution to improving this situation I would add recurring WvW weekends were you can earn awards at an increased rate. Perhaps these could happen 2-4 times a year and are a time when all those players who need a GoB can come together and wreck WvW for a weekend. Or put another way, these weekends could incentivize non-WvW players to come and try it out, give guilds a day to recruit and train, and if it doesn't stick, that is okay, the player has had a chance to experience the mode and get the thing they wanted.

They did something like that when the Warclaw came out, that's what got me into WvW in the first place. I wanted to earn the mount, there were tons of people there and it was easy to follow the crowd. I think that's a great idea!

@mindcircus.1506 said:

@Mungo Zen.9364 said:It doesn't appear complicated. Anet has created a path to attaining GoB that creates friction within WvW community. WvW is not as appealing to the broader player base and players have found the most efficient ways to farm it. This puts different types of players with different motivations in WvW and those players are not all in synch. Anet has done little to nothing to prevent or modify this behaviour by the players (in fact, one could argue has encouraged it).Do all players in PvE have the same motivation?.... is everyone in my strike group there for the same reason?No. But when that reason impacts the way those players are playing to the degree where the tensions it creates within the community get above certain level, it becomes a problem.At least with strikes there's not much most players would want from them, so when problems crept up, many of those that had it stopped complaining after a time and simply ignored that content from now on.

@Kaliwenda.3428 said:They did something like that when the Warclaw came out, that's what got me into WvW in the first place. I wanted to earn the mount, there were tons of people there and it was easy to follow the crowd. I think that's a great idea!I don't know about other servers, but on mine that resulted in a sudden influx of PvE players into WvW, that pushed actual WvWers out (due to hogging queues) - and when that wave of PvE players finally obtained their Warclaws and went away, the WvW population went down for at least several weeks. I'm not even sure if it ever fully recovered - there was quite a number of veteran WvWers that ended up pretty disgusted by this, and some did end up leaving (i don;t know how permanently). I sincerely doubt the overall impact on WvW population from this was positive at all.

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@Mungo Zen.9364 said:It doesn't appear complicated. Anet has created a path to attaining GoB that creates friction within WvW community. WvW is not as appealing to the broader player base and players have found the most efficient ways to farm it. This puts different types of players with different motivations in WvW and those players are not all in synch. Anet has done little to nothing to prevent or modify this behaviour by the players (in fact, one could argue has encouraged it).Do all players in PvE have the same motivation?.... is everyone in my strike group there for the same reason?No. But when that reason impacts the way those players are playing to the degree where the tensions it creates within the community get above certain level, it becomes a problem.At least with strikes there's not much most players would want from them, so when problems crept up, many of those that had it stopped complaining after a time and simply ignored that content from now on.There have been far more posts on this forum over the past year by PvE players (and specifically Strike players) complaining about the friction caused by differing motivations for accessing the content than there have been WvW players ticked off at PvE players in their game mode.Every complaint about LI requirements as only one example.

@mindcircus.1506 said:There have been far more posts on this forum over the past year by PvE players (and specifically Strike players) complaining about the friction caused by differing motivations for accessing the content than there have been WvW players ticked off at PvE players in their game mode.Every complaint about LI requirements as only one example.True. There's way more PvE players than WvW ones, after all. Besides, WvW player complains can be heard mostly on map, guild and discord chats, there's far less of it on forums - and even then it's mostly in the WvW subforum where noone else sees it.

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@mindcircus.1506 said:There have been far more posts on this forum over the past year by PvE players (and specifically Strike players) complaining about the friction caused by differing motivations for accessing the content than there have been WvW players ticked off at PvE players in their game mode.Every complaint about LI requirements as only one example.True. There's way more PvE players than WvW ones, after all. Besides, WvW player complains can be heard mostly on map, guild and discord chats, there's far less of it on forums - and even then it's mostly in the WvW subforum where noone else sees it.

The bulk of the complaints I hear about it in map and team chat is usually in response to a player saying something along this line in team chat: “Is there a Tag somewhere so I can get this GoB done. I hate this mode”

So, even I will step up to troll that fool.

Someone coming on and actually asking for help with get many polite whispers about following along etc.

All goes back to entitlement.

Does that mean there isn’t the idiot that will troll anyone? Nope. But if THATs enough to push someone out then....

@Strider Pj.2193 said:

@"mindcircus.1506" said:There have been far more posts on this forum over the past year by PvE players (and specifically Strike players) complaining about the friction caused by differing motivations for accessing the content than there have been WvW players ticked off at PvE players in their game mode.Every complaint about LI requirements as only one example.True. There's way more PvE players than WvW ones, after all. Besides, WvW player complains can be heard mostly on map, guild and discord chats, there's far less of it on forums - and even then it's mostly in the WvW subforum where noone else sees it.

The bulk of the complaints I hear about it in map and team chat is usually in response to a player saying something along this line in team chat: “Is there a Tag somewhere so I can get this GoB done. I hate this mode”That's GoB. Have you been listening to what was happening shortly after Warclaw release though? Because i do remember, and it wasn't pretty.

GoB players currently do not create big enough saturation for WvW players to warrant voicing their displeasure. This happens generally only where's more of them on the map at the same time. But when that happens, the reactions can be very nasty - even if said PvE players don't say anything. All that is necessary is for them to be visible enough.

Notice, also, that when WvW players do speak up, it's not like their opinion about PvE visitors gets any worse at this point. They just voice at this moment what they've always thought.

If you want to see what happens when proportions shift even more, however, just look at the state of SPvP.

Also, no, people that go in WvW for GoB (and for GoB alone) are not going to "be respectful" because they don't care about that content at all. They care only about the reward they are after, and their only interest in the rest of WVW is in it not standing in their way towards that reward. That's unfortunately completely normal, and a fully expected reaction to the method used to pull them into the content. That difference in goals is absolutely certain to create friction and toxicity.

That's why the rewards that are meant to make people interested in the content should be buried very shallowly - to give them the chance to get interested, but to let them leave as fast as possible if they won't get interested.

That saying, GoB is actually not bad in that regard, seeing as it doesn't require all that much effort.

@Astralporing.1957 said:

The bulk of the complaints I hear about it in map and team chat is usually in response to a player saying something along this line in team chat: “Is there a Tag somewhere so I can get this GoB done. I hate this mode”That's now. Have you been listening to what was happening shortly after Warclaw release? Because i do remember, and it wasn't pretty.

I DO remember it. I remember quite well for that week on our server, multiple tags were very open to helping people get their mounts. It was quite cool actually.

Again, there were exceptions and normally it went along with how it was approached.

GoB players currently do not create big enough saturation for WvW players to warrant voicing their displeasure. This happens generally only where's more of them on the map at the same time. But when that happens, the reactions can be very nasty - even if said PvE players don't say anything. All that is necessary is for them to be visible enough. Notice, also, that when WvW players do speak up, it's not like their opinion about PvE visitors gets any worse at this point. They just voice at this moment what they've always thought.

Only an occasional vocal twit. And again, it’s all in the approach.

@Strider Pj.2193 said:

@"Astralporing.1957" said:That's now. Have you been listening to what was happening shortly after Warclaw release? Because i do remember, and it wasn't pretty.

I DO remember it. I remember quite well for that week on our server, multiple tags were very open to helping people get their mounts. It was quite cool actually.Might be server difference. I don;t remember who we've been matched against then, but i do remember that there were at least 3 big guilds that did nothing except hunting for all the PvE players for almost whole week. And while on our server there were people inviting new players, there were also those being very loud at telling the "PvE noobs" to gtfo. And even some of those helping were doing that so the PvE players will get their mount faster (and thus leave faster) - and weren't exactly hiding it. General attitude at that time was "what the kitten, Anet, why would you do that to us".

Only an occasional vocal twit. And again, it’s all in the approach.There's a lot of those "occasional twits" around. You can practically always depend on at least one being present and making a long rant about it. And generally not being countered by others at all - because many of those other players do agree with the rants, they just don't want to speak up about it.

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@Astralporing.1957 said:That's now. Have you been listening to what was happening shortly after Warclaw release? Because i do remember, and it wasn't pretty.

I DO remember it. I remember quite well for that week on our server, multiple tags were very open to helping people get their mounts. It was quite cool actually.Might be server difference. I don;t remember who we've been matched against then, but i do remember that there were at least 3 big guilds that did nothing except hunting for all the PvE players for almost whole week. And while on our server there were people inviting new players, there were also those being very loud at telling the "PvE noobs" to gtfo. And even some of those helping were doing that so the PvE players will get their mount faster (and thus leave faster) - and weren't exactly hiding it. General attitude at that time was "what the kitten, Anet, why would you do that to us".That's quite a story....but that's not what I recall about the warclaw and it's effect on WvW at all.Sure there were some sweaty tryhards getting bent out of shape about the queue times, but they are there every friday night on reset telling people to get off the BL so their guild can get on.I also recall this issue lasted a grand total of a week and a half.What I recall most about the influx of players at the time is how our guild picked up a good dozen new members, many of whom ended up joining our regular guild runs on a permanent basis afterwards. People who ended up chilling with us regularly on "wvw night" long after they had their mount. People we met in the game mode who ordinarily wouldnt have been there... who were greeted in a fun and friendly manner and who hung out to have fun with what I think were some super cool people.I remember making a few new friends who I am still in contact and play with several times a week.They didn't love WvW or anything, but they did enjoy just hanging out and clapping some cheeks with new friends.

Call it a "server difference" if you like , but I am more inclined to think this is actually about perception and the energy a person gives out coming back to them.

@mindcircus.1506 said:

@Astralporing.1957 said:That's now. Have you been listening to what was happening shortly after Warclaw release? Because i do remember, and it wasn't pretty.

I DO remember it. I remember quite well for that week on our server, multiple tags were very open to helping people get their mounts. It was quite cool actually.Might be server difference. I don;t remember who we've been matched against then, but i do remember that there were at least 3 big guilds that did nothing except hunting for all the PvE players for almost whole week. And while on our server there were people inviting new players, there were also those being very loud at telling the "PvE noobs" to gtfo. And even some of those helping were doing that so the PvE players will get their mount faster (and thus leave faster) - and weren't exactly hiding it. General attitude at that time was "what the kitten, Anet, why would you do that to us".That's quite a story....but that's not what I recall about the warclaw and it's effect on WvW at all.Sure there were some sweaty tryhards getting bent out of shape about the queue times, but they are there every friday night on reset telling people to get off the BL so their guild can get on.I also recall this issue lasted a grand total of a week and a half.What I recall most about the influx of players at the time is how our guild picked up a good dozen new members, many of whom ended up joining our regular guild runs on a permanent basis afterwards. People who ended up chilling with us regularly on "wvw night" long after they had their mount. People we met in the game mode who ordinarily wouldnt have been there... who were greeted in a fun and friendly manner and who hung out to have fun with what I think were some super cool people.I remember making a few new friends who I am still in contact and play with several times a week.They didn't love WvW or anything, but they did enjoy just hanging out and clapping some cheeks with new friends.

Call it a "server difference" if you like , but I am more inclined to think this is actually about perception and the energy a person gives out coming back to them.

You guys think warclaw was bad for queues? Wait till you hear about when skirmish tickets and legendary backpack were introduced, queues of 70+ for 2 weeks till the hype died down and actual wvwers ragequit

I think the idea is solid to be honest.I play both modes and enjoy both modes.

The fact map completion give 2 GoE isn't "giving a free GoB" with it to be honest and this is why:In the time it takes me to do a full Map Completion on a new character, I can easely complete the GoB reward track multiple times.So time investment into getting 1 GoE and 1 GoB would not be THAT far off if you choose either only the WvW way, and trade a GoE or do the PvE way and trade a GoB

I do understand the reservations though, but for pure PvE-ers and pure WvW-ers it would be a nice compromise.

Finally a purpose for the 48 GoB sitting in my bank lol

@"Tuna Bandit.3786" said:I think the idea is solid to be honest.I play both modes and enjoy both modes.

The fact map completion give 2 GoE isn't "giving a free GoB" with it to be honest and this is why:In the time it takes me to do a full Map Completion on a new character, I can easely complete the GoB reward track multiple times.So time investment into getting 1 GoE and 1 GoB would not be THAT far off if you choose either only the WvW way, and trade a GoE or do the PvE way and trade a GoBDo you really think a 4 hour GoE is a good idea?Because the OP's suggestion even at a 2 to 1 trade means a GoE is now 8 hours max. As someone who has world completed 12 times I can tell you that it would be a bit if a struggle to do it in twice that time.It just makes actual World Completion a waste of time and sends every low-effort player off to WvW.The devs implement it and the next round of threads go like this:"It's so unfair that a player can go to WvW and get their GoE in 8 hours. Anet needs to lower the amount of World Completion needed to get my GoE...Please award me with one when I reach 50%!!!!!"

@"yoni.7015" said:I am against this idea. You should have to play all game modes to craft a legendary.I too thought for a long time that I would not enjoy WvW, but about a year and a half ago I gave it a try and now I really enjoy it and spend most of my ingame time in WvW.

And for every one of you, there's one of me. In the almost 9 years that I'm playing this game, I've obtained 17 GoB's for my legendaries (and still working on some, in my own sweet time; no rush here). And you know how I feel about WvW now compared to 9 years ago? Still the same. I find it completely boring and uninteresting, but I do it because there's something I need from it. I wouldn't have set foot in WvW at all if I didn't need GoB's. I did 4 world completions back in the day when WvW was still a part of that process. I'm close to rank 500, so I've played quite a lot of WvW.

I see this argument a lot. "Just try it, you might like it". Yeah, and they might not, which is just as likely. I personally feel exchanging GoE's for GoB's (and vice versa) is a decent idea. I have 23 GoE's right now, more than I'll ever need to make the legendaries I want. If I could exchange 1 of them for 1 or 2 GoB's (they do take a lot less time and effort than world completion, after all) I would gladly take that option. After all this time it's pretty certain I will not start to like WvW, so if they want to collect souls for that game mode they'll need to find other, more efficient ways to achieve that goal. Which is not going to happen, because we all know that WvW is the worry child of ANet (and PvP too). They just don't know what to do with it, or it's not high on their list of priorities. Which is understandable, because this game is mainly a PvE game. The vast majority of content can be found there. Besides, if they really wanted people to play all game modes to make legendaries, they would've made Shards of Glory accountbound and not tradeable.

@"mindcircus.1506" said:Do you really think a 4 hour GoE is a good idea?Because the OP's suggestion even at a 2 to 1 trade means a GoE is now 8 hours max. As someone who has world completed 12 times I can tell you that it would be a bit if a struggle to do it in twice that time.It just makes actual World Completion a waste of time and sends every low-effort player off to WvW.The devs implement it and the next round of threads go like this:"It's so unfair that a player can go to WvW and get their GoE in 8 hours. Anet needs to lower the amount of World Completion needed to get my GoE...Please award me with one when I reach 50%!!!!!"You can always tweak exchange rates so they're always highly inefficient. So, for example, you could buy one GoB for two GoEs, but to buy one GoE you would need to spend 5 (or even more) GoBs. Then, basically, you would always be encouraged to do it the original way, but you would have an alternative if it turned out you really can't stand the content.

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@"Infusion.7149" said:You're forgetting something incredibly major. GoE is limited by character slots unless you delete characters.Doesn't matter if you're just going for one-two occasional legendaries. And if you plan on making way more, you will have to dedicate a slot to world completing at some point anyway.

Sure, and you can tweak as much as you want and make very convoluted systems and exchanges, which brings this full circle:"Why change a perfectly fine system?"

As is right now, GoB can be acquired without almost ANY pvp interaction over a period of a few weeks in dailies alone. If a player spends some minor time in WvW, it goes even faster and can be done in a few days. Mathematically we know that a GoB takes between 6-8 hours of WvW without ANY potions depending on how many buffs are used (and for player who do a few minutes per day combined with dailies, this drops to sub 4 hours easy spent on the mode).

The downside, players who are not open minded or absolutely unable to try a different game mode are locked out of legendary gear. The upside, some occasional player might actually enjoy the content and the design has broadened their appeal of what the game offers.

My opinion on this: there is a point in time at which catering to special interests just ends. This is one of them. If a player can't put in the effort to get their GoB at 4-8 hours WvW, they don't get the legendary item. It is that simple.

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@"Infusion.7149" said:You're forgetting something incredibly major. GoE is limited by character slots unless you delete characters.Doesn't matter if you're just going for one-two occasional legendaries. And if you plan on making way more, you will have to dedicate a slot to world completing at some point anyway.

The comment wasn't directed at your post but the point still holds. I was more focused on the GoB to GoE conversion , which unleashes an unlimited amounts of GoE.

If you're trying to balance off someone making one or two occasional legendaries then the trade-in "recipe" should be something akin to birthday gift item (mini Jennah or Birthday Card) + 3 GoBs at a minimum. That way you'd have a timegate.

The original post is about GoE which is from Core Tyria , not anything for gen 2 legendaries which aren't on the TP. It might seem a good idea to someone on initial thought but if you walk around and everyone has legendary weapons then I'm not sure what the aim is. It would be better if the general playerbase had easier access to ascended weapons (strikes did this , Illuminated Boreal weapons, Heroic Dragonsblood weapons, Stellar weapons, etc) instead. Catering to the luxury of legendaries is not exactly a priority if new player acquisition is an overarching goal.

When you see someone with the Twilight greatsword, do you even stop?

@"Infusion.7149" said:The comment wasn't directed at your post but the point still holds. I was more focused on the GoB to GoE conversion , which unleashes an unlimited amounts of GoE.You already can generate an unlimited amout of GoEs. All you need to do is to reserve a character spot to this end.

If you're trying to balance off someone making one or two occasional legendaries then the trade-in "recipe" should be something akin to birthday gift item (mini Jennah or Birthday Card) + 3 GoBs at a minimum. That way you'd have a timegate.Then, instead of doing GoB into GoE coversion, you can use something that is timegated - i.e. somehow base it on the final diamond chest, for example (the non-repeatable one)

@"Infusion.7149" said:When you see someone with the Twilight greatsword, do you even stop?No, but then i didn't do that in the first year of the game (when they were much rarer) either.

I don't care about visual "prestige factor" of other players. I might take notice if they dress well, in a coherent and well thought out way, but it has absolutely nothing to do with how pricey their gear is. I rate their looks on their quality, not their price and amount of shiny glows.

This thread has taught me two things:

1. People don’t understand psychology.
  2. My spare GoE that’s been sitting on my account for ~8 years is apparently really friggin’ valuable.

@OP: while I also think they should enable people to “play their way” and pay a conversion cost to buy items from different game modes, the reality is that it won’t happen. So, instead, you’ve gotten some good suggestions on ways to “PvE” your way through WvW. I’ll add a few more general suggestions:

1. Do you have any friends who will join you in WvW? People get less anxious when they’re in company.
  2. Try to reframe your view of your character when playing WvW. People who play mostly PvE (or us old-timey pen-and-paper gamers) sometimes invest emotionally in our characters, and taking them into situations that “don’t make sense” for them can feel jarring. More so when you’re suddenly getting pounced and murdered before your brain even processes you’re being attacked. One way to fix this (that GW2 is actually ideal for) is to entirely change your character’s appearance for different game modes. Go all black! Go flamboyant! Wear a giant face-covering helmet and just forget you’re even playing your character. That way, when you get mulched it’s just some weird fever dream.
  3. Just roll over and die. Don’t fight back; you’ll probably lose anyway, and the flurry of panic and adrenaline will just reinforce your discomfort for WvW. Instead, treat WvW like you’re playing Tenchu: your job is to remain hidden from enemies as long as possible, and once they see you, you’ve failed your mission. Die, respawn, and try again.

Hopefully some of that works for you - at least long enough to get your stuff for your legendary.

Now if you’ll excuse me, I need to go figure out how to find a certain dark-hued market and see a guy about a map.

@"Dao Jones.6720" said:

1. My spare GoE that’s been sitting on my account for ~8 years is apparently really friggin’ valuable.

I've been slowly crafting tradable legendaries for the purpose of "cashing out" Gifts of Exploration and Mystic Clovers (you get some directly from reward tracks). It's a good way to make some gold if you hate conventional farming.