What's with the Beetle Saddle?

Buzzbugs.1236

I've recently returned to GW2 after an almost 2 year hiatus and started on the Season 4 content. I have reached the stage where I am working to get the Beetle mount. I completed the first part of the collection but then I was surprised by a second collection I need to do which takes me out of the zone I am in. I find it disheartening that I am being forced to leave the zone I am in to complete this. It feels akin to the Legendary precursor collection fetch quests which are not particularly engaging, so why apply this sort of content to Living World? Is this a new trend for living world zones going forward? I do not remember being sent on tiresome fetch quests before..

@Drakortha.6974 said:

@Ashantara.8731 said:You want a reward without effort. Where's the fun in that?

I was expecting this type of response.

This is Living World story content I'm not trying to get a Legendary here. It's tiresome busy work for content that should be more casual and relaxing. Where's the fun in that?

It is casual and relaxing. The issue is that you're choosing to not make it that way.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

This is Living World story content I'm not trying to get a Legendary here. It's tiresome busy work for content that should be more casual and relaxing. Where's the fun in that?

It is casual and relaxing. The issue is that you're choosing to not make it that way.

That's your opinion. I don't find it casual and relaxing having to hunt things down outside of the zone I am in, sometimes with vague hints where those items might be. Having to look up where things are on Google takes me out of the game and it is not enjoyable to me.

@Vilin.8056 said:Well, since properly RIDING this mount would likely require one or two Youtube tutorials, beetle is probably not your thing, best stick with raptors then.

You can still rent Beetles in racetracks throughout Tyria.

Thanks. Knowing there's a 3rd collection after the Saddle was already the final nail for me. So I'll now just forget that content and move ahead with the story.

@Drakortha.6974 said:

That's your opinion. I don't find it casual and relaxing having to hunt things down outside of the zone I am in, sometimes with vague hints where those items might be. Having to look up where things are on Google takes me out of the game and it is not enjoyable to me.

So having to go outside of the map that you're on is the opposite of casual and relaxing? Okay. That's a new one.

@"Drakortha.6974" said:I was expecting this type of response.

Of course.

I had tons of fun doing the "scavenger hunts". Traveling the (virtual) world is the most fun part of adventuring. The only tiresome parts were those that consisted of repeated tasks that are also timegated.

And in a way, mounts are of "legendary" quality. They should not be given away just like that. It feels much more rewarding when there are collections attached to the task. After all, they make our characters' lives on Tyria so much easier; e.g., world completion has become a piece of cake thanks to mounts, as has exploring HoT. Seriously, you make it sound like mounts were just a small bonus, but they are much more than that.

Actually there had been a harder living world story content in the chapter prior to the one with the beetle. Remember the back item from the golem in Sandswept Isles? Pretty grindy achievement and even a ton more work than the beetle. ArenaNet seemed to do this to get people to still play older content.

Accept it or just do not get the beetle. As long as you do not care too much about achievements ... you might be able to do most other stuff without it. (Ask people for help if a wall needs to be broken to access a POI.)

@Drakortha.6974 said:

But it is legendary. It is an end of season mount that is tied to the legendary collection vision just like aurora was an end of season reward for season 3.

I mean, even the beetle mount asked you to step outside Kourna.

@Drakortha.6974 said:

if camping 1 map for a quest = casual for you then i believe you wouldn't want to do the quest/collections for skyscale mount -- you wouldn't find it fun, relaxing and casual-oriented.

@Drakortha.6974 said:

Good, because that's a perfectly reasonable answer ;)

You keep repeating "this is not legendary", but it has nothing to do with it. Repeating "this is not legendary" whenever you have to do anything more than just "kill that boss while in zerg" doesn't make much sense. Of course it's not legendary. And the effort to get beetle isn't anywhere near the legendary.

@Drakortha.6974 said:

Well... then don't do it. It's an idditional content that isn't needed. But as with any other type of game -you want the reward? Complete the requiremenets/content.

• Confused 1

The only annoying part of the whole thing is getting the alpha beetle in Silverwastes to spawn (it's also a champ, but 2-mannable)...everything else is perfectly doable for both mounts. (unless ofc you hate jumping puzzles, but there's always the Prototype Position Rewinder for those)

The important thing to bear in mind with any of the collections or achievements introduced in living world episodes is that they're optional. Unless it's actually required in a story step you don't have to do it to complete the story, so if it's not something that interests you and/or you don't want the end result you can simply ignore it.

There's no requirement that you complete all the masteries for each episode (including unlocking all the mounts) or that you do the meta-achievement or other collections introduced with that episode, get 100% map completion or collect all the new skins and items. (Completing the story is also optional but since that seems to be the OP's priority I'm not including it on this list.)

(If you do want to do it and need help finding out where to go or what to do I recommend going directly to the Wiki, rather than hoping a google search will bring up the right page. All the info should be there.)

@Drakortha.6974 said:

@Vilin.8056 said:Well, since properly RIDING this mount would likely require one or two Youtube tutorials, beetle is probably not your thing, best stick with raptors then.

You can still rent Beetles in racetracks throughout Tyria.

Thanks. Knowing there's a 3rd collection after the Saddle was already the final nail for me. So I'll now just forget that content and move ahead with the story.

You don't need the Roller Beetle, and the quests will always be there to come back to later. The Roller Beetle is a lot of fun and the 'busy work' of the collection is really a small step compared to other collections you may have worked on. Enjoy the game your way!

It's never going to please everyone, but I think many appreciate the collection system to give them a way of earning it through various in game activities. And it keeps zones a bit more active over time.

Collections for Living Story are very much now the norm, whether it is the huge Skyscale one, legendaries, certain weapon skins and many other achievements.

The positive outlook is that it is done once and you never even have to think about it again. The beetle is well worth the small investment of time and it can be done in small stages as and when you want to chip away at it

I cannot stand this attitude players have about everything needing to be "Work" to get. It's supposed to be a game and a way to unwind and have fun. I don't care about all this prestige and showing off my achievements I am so tired of this attitude taking over what is one of my favorite online games. I've been playing GW2 since day 1 so it's frustrating to see it move in this direction. I don't want achievements and collections, I want good and accessible content. Locking MAIN content behind "Work" is not fun. Stop doing it ArenaNet!!!!

If you gave me the Roller Beetle near the beginning or mid-way through the story, exploring that zone would have been twice as fun and unique the first time I played through it, and it would have been memorable. That's the way Guild Wars 2 was supposed to be.

Just because something takes work to get doesn't make it any more prestigious!

I'm so tired of it!

@"Drakortha.6974" said:I cannot stand this attitude players have about everything needing to be "Work" to get. It's supposed to be a game and a way to unwind and have fun. I don't care about all this prestige and showing off my achievements I am so tired of this attitude taking over what is one of my favorite online games. I've been playing GW2 since day 1 so it's frustrating to see it move in this direction. I don't want achievements and collections, I want good and accessible content. Locking MAIN content behind "Work" is not fun. Stop doing it ArenaNet!!!!

If you gave me the Roller Beetle near the beginning or mid-way through the story, exploring that zone would have been twice as fun and unique the first time I played through it, and it would have been memorable. That's the way Guild Wars 2 was supposed to be.

Just because something takes work to get doesn't make it any more prestigious!

I'm so tired of it!

Those are rewards. The content is what you’re doing to earn them which are the collections. If what’s required to earn the reward doesn’t feel worth it then simply don’t do it. Not everything needs to be dumbed down to the point that everything can be obtained on autopilot.

I'm not saying everything should be obtained on autopilot!

You can't say that mounts are just optional content that can be ignored. What's going to happen when the End of Dragons Expansion releases and in those new maps, Anet have decided to make many of the Mastery points and other areas accessible only by a Skyscale or a Roller Beetle? Will you tell me it's optional content then?

The way we acquired the first 4 mounts (Jackal, etc) was perfectly well done. It wasn't grindy busy work, you completed a quest and you got the mount - so you can get on with it and enjoy the rest of the content. It's not dumbed down and worthless like you think it is!

@Drakortha.6974 said:

This is Living World story content I'm not trying to get a Legendary here. It's tiresome busy work for content that should be more casual and relaxing. Where's the fun in that?Think of the skyscale as a legendary mount.It pretty much is.

@Drakortha.6974 said:I'm not saying everything should be obtained on autopilot!

You can't say that mounts are just optional content that can be ignored. What's going to happen when the End of Dragons Expansion releases and in those new maps, Anet have decided to make many of the Mastery points and other areas accessible only by a Skyscale or a Roller Beetle? Will you tell me it's optional content then?

The way we acquired the first 4 mounts (Jackal, etc) was perfectly well done. It wasn't grindy busy work, you completed a quest and you got the mount - so you can get on with it and enjoy the rest of the content.

They will never lock you out of content just because you don’t have a skyscale or a beetle. Worst case scenario they will make it possible to “rent” the mount. Have you played any festival ? Have you done any race in core Tyrian ?

No need to overreact.

@Drakortha.6974 said:I'm not saying everything should be obtained on autopilot!

You complaining about the beetle collection and stating that it’s “work” is what implied that. Even if you’re saying that everything shouldn’t, someone else may have a different opinion on what should be excluded. One may find the beetle collection being too much work while another may not.

Has Anet made anything in PoF require HoT masteries?

The way we acquired the first 4 mounts (Jackal, etc) was perfectly well done. It wasn't grindy busy work, you completed a quest and you got the mount - so you can get on with it and enjoy the rest of the content. It's not dumbed down and worthless like you think it is!

Compared to the collections, they are.