What's with the Beetle Saddle?

Buzzbugs.1236

@Drakortha.6974 said:I cannot stand this attitude players have about everything needing to be "Work" to get. It's supposed to be a game and a way to unwind and have fun. I don't care about all this prestige and showing off my achievements I am so tired of this attitude taking over what is one of my favorite online games. I've been playing GW2 since day 1 so it's frustrating to see it move in this direction. I don't want achievements and collections, I want good and accessible content. Locking MAIN content behind "Work" is not fun. Stop doing it ArenaNet!!!!

If you gave me the Roller Beetle near the beginning or mid-way through the story, exploring that zone would have been twice as fun and unique the first time I played through it, and it would have been memorable. That's the way Guild Wars 2 was supposed to be.

Just because something takes work to get doesn't make it any more prestigious!

I'm so tired of it!

It's fine you don't like it, but I do and I hope they continue the practice. I enjoy the collections because they are;

• often well themed
  • sometimes have a mini story attached to them
  • encourage visiting or revisiting other content - this is key because the content would dry up otherwise
  • the tasks to me are fun and not like work

From Anet's point of view, they need to keep content relevant and this seems to be showing it works for them and the population at large.

Like I said it's not for everyone, but there is plenty of support for them. In fact there have been plenty of calls for utilising the collections more since they tend to be less grindy than a lot of other methods Anet have used

@Drakortha.6974 said:That's the way Guild Wars 2 was supposed to be.

I don't agree that this is the case. Whilst collections haven't existed since launch, they are very much in the spirit of the game in terms of driving people to playing various contents and compliment it well - especially for prestige mounts like the griffon, beetle and skyscale. ANd the best bit, is you can mostly do them at your lesiure which is very much in the spirit of GW2 (griffon perhaps an exception due to the amount of group based content)

Even the skimmer gets a collection if you want it to go underwater

@"Drakortha.6974" said:I cannot stand this attitude players have about everything needing to be "Work" to get. It's supposed to be a game and a way to unwind and have fun. I don't care about all this prestige and showing off my achievements I am so tired of this attitude taking over what is one of my favorite online games. I've been playing GW2 since day 1 so it's frustrating to see it move in this direction. I don't want achievements and collections, I want good and accessible content. Locking MAIN content behind "Work" is not fun. Stop doing it ArenaNet!!!!

If you gave me the Roller Beetle near the beginning or mid-way through the story, exploring that zone would have been twice as fun and unique the first time I played through it, and it would have been memorable. That's the way Guild Wars 2 was supposed to be.

Just because something takes work to get doesn't make it any more prestigious!

I'm so tired of it!

It's not "work", you get rewards for doing something ingame. It's how games usually work, I don't know what you're so surprised about. It's like your complaint boils down to "if I can't get something RIGHT AWAY AT THIS MOMENT then it's already too much!". It's as if you expect to launch the game, unlock everything right away just so you can log out and never actually play the game again. I don't see the point in complaints like that.

@"Drakortha.6974" said:I'm not saying everything should be obtained on autopilot!

Not everything, just "the things you want", eh? :p

You can't say that mounts are just optional content that can be ignored. What's going to happen when the End of Dragons Expansion releases and in those new maps, Anet have decided to make many of the Mastery points and other areas accessible only by a Skyscale or a Roller Beetle? Will you tell me it's optional content then?

They ARE optional content. IF anet does something like that in the future THEN you can claim it's not optional. But it is. What is this hypothetical "what if one day...?!" scenario supposed to show? It doesn't matter what it could be, it matters what it is.

The way we acquired the first 4 mounts (Jackal, etc) was perfectly well done. It wasn't grindy busy work, you completed a quest and you got the mount - so you can get on with it and enjoy the rest of the content. It's not dumbed down and worthless like you think it is!

These are the base mounts needed to progress. The rest isn't.

• Confused 1

@mindcircus.1506 said:

@"Ashantara.8731" said:You want a reward without effort. Where's the fun in that?

I was expecting this type of response.

This is Living World story content I'm not trying to get a Legendary here. It's tiresome busy work for content that should be more casual and relaxing. Where's the fun in that?Think of the skyscale as a legendary mount.It pretty much is.

I forget exactly where (and I'm not going to look it up at this particular moment), but ANet said exactly this. They referred to the skyscale specifically as a "prestige" mount on par with a legendary piece of equipment. Frankly, compared to assembling an actual piece of legendary gear, the skyscale collections are nowhere near as expensive and tedious. But more importantly, as others have mentioned, ANet isn't going to lock people out of content for not having the prestige mount.

I (and many others) found the skyscale and beetle collections worth doing. You, @Drakortha.6974 (and also many others) don't - and that's fine! You can get around and do everything just fine without these extra mounts. What I don't agree with is your characterization of these collections as being as burdensome as legendary collections. I think that's objectively incorrect, based on currency cost, time, and mechanical difficulty of the tasks involved.

@voltaicbore.8012 said:

@"Ashantara.8731" said:You want a reward without effort. Where's the fun in that?

This is Living World story content I'm not trying to get a Legendary here. It's tiresome busy work for content that should be more casual and relaxing. Where's the fun in that?Think of the skyscale as a legendary mount.It pretty much is.

I forget exactly where (and I'm not going to look it up at this particular moment), but ANet said exactly this. They referred to the skyscale specifically as a "prestige" mount on par with a legendary piece of equipment.

Probably this post.

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/77191/an-update-about-the-skyscale-acquisition

Since we began designing the skyscale, our goal was to deliver a story and experience that rivaled our other prestige mount, the griffon. Instead of putting a hard gold price on obtaining the mount, though, we instead looked at how we could preserve the feeling of investing time and effort in such a powerful mount, while lowering the barrier so more people could obtain the skyscale without breaking the bank.

@Drakortha.6974 said:I'm not saying everything should be obtained on autopilot!

You can't say that mounts are just optional content that can be ignored. What's going to happen when the End of Dragons Expansion releases and in those new maps, Anet have decided to make many of the Mastery points and other areas accessible only by a Skyscale or a Roller Beetle? Will you tell me it's optional content then?

The way we acquired the first 4 mounts (Jackal, etc) was perfectly well done. It wasn't grindy busy work, you completed a quest and you got the mount - so you can get on with it and enjoy the rest of the content. It's not dumbed down and worthless like you think it is!

They wont as proven in path of fire expansion you dont need any of heart of thorns masteries to get any of the new mastery points.Anet have given no indication to change that stance.EditYes roller beetle and skyscale is optional content you can get around with a mix of bunny, raptor and skimmer with out a problem

@voltaicbore.8012 said:

I forget exactly where (and I'm not going to look it up at this particular moment), but ANet said exactly this. They referred to the skyscale specifically as a "prestige" mount on par with a legendary piece of equipment. Frankly, compared to assembling an actual piece of legendary gear, the skyscale collections are nowhere near as expensive and tedious. But more importantly, as others have mentioned, ANet isn't going to lock people out of content for not having the prestige mount.Locked out?No...But there are a few things in Icebrood that become very difficult without a skyscale.If you have ever seen a player without a Skyscale try and keep up with Drizzlewood or Dragonfall , you realize this "optional" Prestige mount is less optional than we might be leading people to believe.While I disagree completely with the OP's attempt to steer a narrative that plays to the low effort mentality just because they don't want go through the quest, I think there is a very fine line between "optional" and "optional but needed" and I firmly believe the Skyscale crosses this line.The Skyscale collection/quest is absolutely fantastic content and one of the few times this game has offered me meaningful progression since Path of Fire.... but it is progression, and calling it optional is a misnomer. Current content is absolutely being designed with it in mind.

I'm assuming Skyscale is optimal to go from champion to champion in Dragonfall but I don't see it being by enough of a degree that they'll miss out on tagging them. I know for certain that you don't need it for Drizzlewood at all as I used Griffon exclusively on that map.

@mindcircus.1506 said:

I forget exactly where (and I'm not going to look it up at this particular moment), but ANet said exactly this. They referred to the skyscale specifically as a "prestige" mount on par with a legendary piece of equipment. Frankly, compared to assembling an actual piece of legendary gear, the skyscale collections are nowhere near as expensive and tedious. But more importantly, as others have mentioned, ANet isn't going to lock people out of content for not having the prestige mount.Locked out?No...But there are a few things in Icebrood that become very difficult without a skyscale.If you have ever seen a player without a Skyscale try and keep up with Drizzlewood or Dragonfall , you realize this "optional" Prestige mount is less optional than we might be leading people to believe.While I disagree completely with the OP's attempt to steer a narrative that plays to the low effort mentality just because they don't want go through the quest, I think there is a very fine line between "optional" and "optional but needed" and I firmly believe the Skyscale crosses this line.The Skyscale collection/quest is absolutely fantastic content and one of the few times this game has offered me meaningful progression since Path of Fire.... but it is progression, and calling it optional is a misnomer. Current content is absolutely being designed with it in mind.

Nah, there's no problem with keeping up without skyscale. Raptor/jackal are equally as fast, with the only difference and inconvenience being the fact you might sometimes swap mount to springer if you need to bypass a mount. But then again, there are also droppoints. Skyscale isn't needed to keep up and it is optional.

• Confused 1

@Linken.6345 said:

@Ashantara.8731 said:You want a reward without effort. Where's the fun in that?

The effort is excessive. And after a hard day of work in our job, we want fun, not grind and grind and grind...

Then do as much as you feel like every day until you get it (might be 6 months) you dont have to get it right now.

If it's going to take that long to get a mount, I'm just going to play a different game.

Guild Wars 2 is (or was) a game about exploration. It should take 6 months to explore everything - not 6 months to grind out for a mount needed to even begin exploring...

The priorities are so backwards!

@Drakortha.6974 said:

The effort is excessive. And after a hard day of work in our job, we want fun, not grind and grind and grind...

Then do as much as you feel like every day until you get it (might be 6 months) you dont have to get it right now.

If it's going to take that long to get a mount, I'm just going to play a different game.

Guild Wars 2 is (or was) a game about exploration. It should take 6 months to explore everything - not 6 months to grind out for a mount needed to even begin exploring...

Those are your priorities which are backwards. You do not need Skyscale to explore any part of the game. You do not need Griffon to explore any part of the game. You feeling that you need them to being exploring is you imposing your own restrictions on yourself.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

You do not need Skyscale to explore any part of the game. You do not need Griffon to explore any part of the game.

You don't need them - until you do. As noted by some of the other posters in this thread.

Exploration was GW2's most redeeming quality. If Anet want to lock some things behind collections, then by all means. Let there be collections for those who enjoy that type of content. But the reality is there are players out there who enjoy this game primarily for it's exploration aspects and when you apply "Prestige" to mounts that are required for effective exploration, you are excluding those people from what they enjoy about this game.

There is nothing prestigious about padding out content. By calling it Prestigious you are just overglorifying the time you spent completing a to-do list that anyone can do.. assuming they can tolerate the monotonous nature of it.

I don't have a single Legendary to this day and that's not due to lack of time spent in the game (Over 4k hours) but because Legendaries always presented themselves as completely optional content and I don't log into GW2 to complete check-lists but to explore and have fun. They are just skins and I never felt like I was missing out by not having them.

@Drakortha.6974 said:

You do not need Skyscale to explore any part of the game. You do not need Griffon to explore any part of the game.

You don't need them - until you do. As noted by some of the other posters in this thread.

Exploration was GW2's most redeeming quality. If Anet want to lock some things behind collections, then by all means. Let there be collections for those who enjoy that type of content. But the reality is there are players out there who enjoy this game primarily for it's exploration aspects and when you apply "Prestige" to mounts that are required for effective exploration, you are excluding those people from what they enjoy about this game.

There is nothing prestigious about padding out content. By calling it Prestigious you are just overglorifying the time you spent completing a to-do list that anyone can do.. assuming they can tolerate the monotonous nature of it.Or you know... you could just cowboy up and get a skyscale.

@mindcircus.1506 said:

There is nothing prestigious about padding out content. By calling it Prestigious you are just overglorifying the time you spent completing a to-do list that anyone can do.. assuming they can tolerate the monotonous nature of it.Or you know... you could just cowboy up and get a skyscale.

So I can just sit on it at Lion's Arch for 10 hours a day showing off my Prestige to all of the plebs? I'm not that vain thank goodness..

@Drakortha.6974 said:

So I can just sit on it at Lion's Arch for 10 hours a day showing off my Prestige to all of the plebs? I'm not that vain thank goodness..Or you can see it for what it is:Long term QoL progression of your account.But sure... if you want to look at it in an ugly way... you do you.

@mindcircus.1506 said:

So I can just sit on it at Lion's Arch for 10 hours a day showing off my Prestige to all of the plebs? I'm not that vain thank goodness..Or you can see it for what it is:Long term QoL progression of your account.But sure... if you want to look at it in an ugly way... you do you.

I do see it for what it is any time I visit a place like Lions Arch. That's the reality of these collectible items, especially skins. It's a way to show off and flaunt your achievements. Which is fine, as I've stated previously. My problem stems from this kind of content spilling over into the gameplay department. Legendaries never had an impact on gameplay but mounts do, especially if Anet are designing maps with the prestigious ones in mind.

Telling anyone that complains about it to "Cowboy up" or "Get good" is not a solution.

@Drakortha.6974 said:

Anet hasn't required HoT masteries for anything in PoF so there's no reason to expect that they'd suddenly change course and have PoF masteries required for some content in EoD. You're relying on a hypothetical based solely on your highly biased opinion simply because you were disappointed that a collection required you to do something outside of a single map.

You keep saying certain mounts are required over and over for exploration. Please provide evidence to back that up.

There is nothing prestigious about padding out content. By calling it Prestigious you are just overglorifying the time you spent completing a to-do list that anyone can do.. assuming they can tolerate the monotonous nature of it.

The prestige comes from the journey as well as what you achieved from it. If it's something which you do not like, then by all means, don't do it.

I don't have a single Legendary to this day and that's not due to lack of time spent in the game (Over 4k hours) but because Legendaries always presented themselves as completely optional content and I don't log into GW2 to complete check-lists but to explore and have fun. They are just skins and I never felt like I was missing out by not having them.

Just as you say that legendaries are optional, so are the Skyscale and Griffon mounts for exploration..

@"Drakortha.6974" said:Exploration was GW2's most redeeming quality. If Anet want to lock some things behind collections, then by all means. Let there be collections for those who enjoy that type of content. But the reality is there are players out there who enjoy this game primarily for it's exploration aspects and when you apply "Prestige" to mounts that are required for effective exploration, you are excluding those people from what they enjoy about this game.

pretty sure the only thing skyscale is required for in exploration is breaking out of the map boundaries/invisible walls.

the beetle doesn't offer anything other than it's speed vs the other terrestrial mounts (an no, those breakable walls don't count -- the stuff behind them are unremarkable, it's not like in console games where if you find this secret room, you'll get stuff that helps you kill that boss, lol no nothing like that at all in gw2) + i've seen so many people crash into walls on sharp turns or obstacles and take too long to recover that the ones running on jackal/raptor more often than not just run past them

exploration as intended in GW2 can be done with the 4 basic mounts (raptor, springer, skimmer, jackal) or by walking =)

also this:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:You keep saying certain mounts are required over and over for exploration. Please provide evidence to back that up.

@Drakortha.6974 said:

Wasn't that "someone" YOU? And all you've said (apparently still are saying?) was "what if they make it mandatory in future content?!" -the fact remains that it's not mandatory, so you have nothing to complain about in this case at this time. Nothing stays in a way of your "exploration" in current iteration of the game. It also probably never will, but if ONE DAY skyscale will for some reason become mandatory THEN you'll be free to complain that it's mandatory. Now it's not and you're still complaining pretending it's somehow locking the game up for you.

• Confused 1

@frareanselm.1925 said:

Collections are usually not grindy. At least not as I see grind which is repeating a certain task over and over. They are like quests in other games. They take you around the world performing different activities.Anyway if you don't feel like doing the whole collection at once just start it and play other stuff. You will stumble on different parts of the collection while playing the game.

@Cuks.8241 said:

Collections are usually not grindy. At least not as I see grind which is repeating a certain task over and over. They are like quests in other games. They take you around the world performing different activities.Anyway if you don't feel like doing the whole collection at once just start it and play other stuff. You will stumble on different parts of the collection while playing the game.

Well, collections are kill this boss and you get x material, do it 10 times! When I had to do it for the mistward revenant armor it felt grindy. Then do it for mounts, armors, again and again...

It was a long time ago, but I don't even remember the beetle even being that grindy! Certainly not 6 months, as mentioned above, not even 6 days. Possibly it was more than 6 hours!

This thread started with a complaint about moving off the map in which it is introduced and I don't get that. It's not like you need to spend days literally walking across the world to get the other locations and, as someone else explained, having things to gather or collect on other maps is a great way of keeping the whole world alive with people, rather than all focused on one or two maps.

@frareanselm.1925 said:

Well, collections are kill this boss and you get x material, do it 10 times! When I had to do it for the mistward revenant armor it felt grindy. Then do it for mounts, armors, again and again...

If killing a boss is somehow still "so grindy" then what would be a reasonable long "quest line" (which collections imitate) then?Skyscale collection actually forces you to take breaks, in case you still think it's somehow meant to be done "in one sitting"... It's not, it's a set of tasks, not a single task. And you don't even need to do it if you don't want to, it won't lock game progress for you. These "because I want it now!" complaints are just ridiculous.

@LucianDK.8615 said:The OP is overreacting about how long it takes.

True.

• Confused 1