Tankers in WvW: sadly they rule the game and sabotage my fun in WvW

manu.7539

Many of the forum warriors here don't remember actually enjoying this part of the game, or flat refuse to.

BP was linked with Henge during this time and there was quite a bit of controversy when we hit t1. Bg and sos focused each other fairly hard while we pulled out a 2nd place, but only from a good bit of work while we had some moderately strong guilds/leads pushing for us to lose. Making it into the 3rd week of t1 many of those changed their minds and jumped back in because they wanted to play, and as we got to the last 2 weeks of the link sos and bg definitely had diminished presence preparing for new links.

Overall I also was personally happy to win t1 in the final week.

@Dinas Dragonbane.2978 said:Many of the forum warriors here don't remember actually enjoying this part of the game, or flat refuse to.

What does that have to do with anything? People gain experience and grow. It was fun when they first experienced it. Then they leave when something becomes stale. None of that has any bearing on the scoring mechanics that favor numbers and coverage.

@Chaba.5410 said:

@Dinas Dragonbane.2978 said:Many of the forum warriors here don't remember actually enjoying this part of the game, or flat refuse to.

What does that have to do with anything? People gain experience and grow. It was fun when they first experienced it. Then they leave when something becomes stale. None of that has any bearing on the scoring mechanics that favor numbers and coverage.

Unfortunately bored players arent all leaving as u say! They stay and impose their own bored point of view to new players. Imagine being new to WvW... playing with such toxic peoples asking to lose?

There are definitely people that stick around just to complain and are in WvW daily. The format of WvW (3 way fight over objectives with the combat style of the game) isn't really matched by any other game currently out imo. Yet, it never quite lived up to the potential many felt it could have had if it had been shown more attention over the years. So it's a love/hate relationship basically that many have with certain mechanics etc. The tiers certainly make up a part of that, as well as the scoring system in general.

Don't get me wrong though, just because I understand people feeling let down or disappointed (myself included), I do agree that there are times where it just gets old hearing it day in and day out. But people like company, even if it's in misery.

What even- how does one "win" T1 when there's nothing to win??????

The only way to build reputation for you feats, is by joining or making a guild and be A ) a good Open Field guild or B ) a good Fighting guild.

Many guilds (at least in EU) carry their servers. Pugs alone can't. The solution? Join a guild. That's it lol. Perhaps I missed a point to all this, but I ain't gonna read through 3 pages of what I believe is "tactics/coverage/fun" debates..

@"Grand Marshal.4098" said:What even- how does one "win" T1 when there's nothing to win??????

The only way to build reputation for you feats, is by joining or making a guild and be A ) a good Open Field guild or B ) a good Fighting guild.

Many guilds (at least in EU) carry their servers. Pugs alone can't. The solution? Join a guild. That's it lol. Perhaps I missed a point to all this, but I ain't gonna read through 3 pages of what I believe is "tactics/coverage/fun" debates..

Many of the reputations are built on fighting when you see NPC's and running when you see Player Characters. Do that enough times and you've successfully made the game so unfun people don't bother to play it with you. What an artform "war" is. Keep taking that red BL link when the commander puts it in team chat. You gunna win so hard oh man it's glory.

@manu.7539 said:

Unfortunately bored players arent all leaving as u say! They stay and impose their own bored point of view to new players. Imagine being new to WvW... playing with such toxic peoples asking to lose?

Nobody made you show up late.And we definitely dont need to repeat the mistakes of the past on account of your tardiness.

@lilcoffeebean.3149 said:

@lilcoffeebean.3149 said:I don't know what all the hub bub is about. Since release I've had the 'privilege' of being in Tier 1 through 6 over the years.

There were differences between all of these tiers, but it largely revolved around player numbers and coverages. This meant typically in T1 you got faster call outs, larger roaming groups and larger zergs, but outside that it's the same tactics, the same coordination, the same builds etc (though the lower you go the more willing they seem to be to experiment). And it's been this way for a number of years now from what I've seen. Granted servers have garnered reputations for various things (fighting, siege etc), but sitting in T1 now, I certainly don't feel like I've missed anything in the time I was out of it.

It's the exact same thing, just on a larger scale. I literally see no other difference currently. Certainly not this 'coordination' that sets it apart from the rest.

Yeah, lets say its "about' the same thing. I've played wvw 4 years and I only remember 3 servers winning T1 in NA: BG, SoS and... HoD! I can be wrong but thats what I remember. I know many dont care but to me that's something cool! We are like David vs Goliath (BG)
+
Godzilla (SoS) and "WE DID IT"!

Ok Goliath was missing this time but 1st time we won BG was on the game. We pushed BG out of T1 (with alot of dblteaming :p) and the week after we won vs SoS.

You can beat numbers and coverage by strategy and cooperation, that's the lesson of the HoD story ;)

Then your memory just isn't that good. Dragonbrand, Maguuma, and SBI, are just a few that have won T1 in the last year, let alone going back 4 years. But, I do understand the feeling of winning against one of the 'established' T1 servers. Yet, I do not see this strategy that HoD employs that somehow sets the server apart. To me, after a week, it's just like any other server, but the coverage in EST (JQ is beefy here too), PST, and EU for HoD is significantly better than what SoS can manage. Then SoS dominates OCX and JQ/SoS compete for SEA. That's all I've really seen, but there's not any strategy in that. Majority of the day WvW is a K-train and not much else, it's just which server is leading that K-train changes. This is easily seen firsthand and through the stats themselves.

I tried to check what u said, even made a post on it without results. So where did u got these infos? If it was from gw2stat.com then u were probably wrong coz the site determine winners with the warscore instead of the victory points. Even medals, it doesnt like they are necessary given to those in T1. We won T1 the 2 last weeks.. no medals and worst, gw2stat.com say we were 2nd for one of these weeks!

@LetoII.3782 said:

Nobody made you show up late.And we definitely dont need to repeat the mistakes of the past on account of your tardiness.

U think ur talking in the name of every veterans of the game but are u so sure? I still see the majority trying their best to win or to compete. The problem is that a careless minority is good enough to ruin the competivity of a server. I dont understand this stubbornness of tankers, figthing for objectives is still fighting afterall!

@"Grand Marshal.4098" said:What even- how does one "win" T1 when there's nothing to win??????

Sure if u dont care about winning then pugs are useless but if u do care then pugs have a nice role to play. Good scouts and roamers can change the result of a fight/match so they are as important than zergs/blobs as long as they are in a server playing to win.

Since you have good scouts and I assume defenders to help those scouts out, the secret to BG winning is taking and holding an enemy keep on their borderlands for as long as possible. You're currently 3rd in the matchup, but I have faith you all can pull out the victory still with this secret information. Try and break the extra keeps they have like the bay on sos bl and you'll pull ahead!

P.S I'm totally not on IoJ linked to SoS trying to con you into breaking that waypointed keep while we're in our weak and vulnerable time zones from eu-ocx.

@manu.7539 said:

U think ur talking in the name of every veterans of the game but are u so sure? I still see the majority trying their best to win or to compete. The problem is that a careless minority is good enough to ruin the competivity of a server. I dont understand this stubbornness of tankers, figthing for objectives is still fighting afterall!

You have the perspective of one server.And by your own admission, far from an accord even there.

@manu.7539 said:

@lilcoffeebean.3149 said:I don't know what all the hub bub is about. Since release I've had the 'privilege' of being in Tier 1 through 6 over the years.

There were differences between all of these tiers, but it largely revolved around player numbers and coverages. This meant typically in T1 you got faster call outs, larger roaming groups and larger zergs, but outside that it's the same tactics, the same coordination, the same builds etc (though the lower you go the more willing they seem to be to experiment). And it's been this way for a number of years now from what I've seen. Granted servers have garnered reputations for various things (fighting, siege etc), but sitting in T1 now, I certainly don't feel like I've missed anything in the time I was out of it.

It's the exact same thing, just on a larger scale. I literally see no other difference currently. Certainly not this 'coordination' that sets it apart from the rest.

Yeah, lets say its "about' the same thing. I've played wvw 4 years and I only remember 3 servers winning T1 in NA: BG, SoS and... HoD! I can be wrong but thats what I remember. I know many dont care but to me that's something cool! We are like David vs Goliath (BG)
+
Godzilla (SoS) and "WE DID IT"!

Ok Goliath was missing this time but 1st time we won BG was on the game. We pushed BG out of T1 (with alot of dblteaming :p) and the week after we won vs SoS.

You can beat numbers and coverage by strategy and cooperation, that's the lesson of the HoD story ;)

Then your memory just isn't that good. Dragonbrand, Maguuma, and SBI, are just a few that have won T1 in the last year, let alone going back 4 years. But, I do understand the feeling of winning against one of the 'established' T1 servers. Yet, I do not see this strategy that HoD employs that somehow sets the server apart. To me, after a week, it's just like any other server, but the coverage in EST (JQ is beefy here too), PST, and EU for HoD is significantly better than what SoS can manage. Then SoS dominates OCX and JQ/SoS compete for SEA. That's all I've really seen, but there's not any strategy in that. Majority of the day WvW is a K-train and not much else, it's just which server is leading that K-train changes. This is easily seen firsthand and through the stats themselves.

I tried to check what u said, even made a post on it without results. So where did u got these infos? If it was from gw2stat.com then u were probably wrong coz the site determine winners with the warscore instead of the victory points. Even medals, it doesnt like they are necessary given to those in T1. We won T1 the 2 last weeks.. no medals and worst, gw2stat.com say we were 2nd for one of these weeks!

Ya, it's a bit of a pain and really should be more streamlined because as you said the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd are meaningless cause it's based off warscore. The only way I know how to do it is take what week you're interested in and click view match for the week after that. Then you an see on the graph what colour each server actually was. Based on last week you'll get the winner being green, second place being blue and the first place winner of T2 being red. For whatever reason though, the graph loading is pretty hit or miss. Sometimes it loads, sometimes it doesn't. XD

So for example, if I wanted to know who won week 8 (arbitrary number) I'd open week 9 and see on the graph who was the green server. In that example, the green side was SoS, meaning they won week 8. This holds true only from the '1 up, 1 down' system being implemented ofc so 2017ish.

@Chaba.5410 said:

This was a response to Manu's comment about the negativity seeming like jealousy, NOT about scoring mechanics that favor numbers and coverage. These forums have been stale for years but people aren't leaving these it seems, apparently the one true future of the mode and the forums are constant negativity.

@Dinas Dragonbane.2978 said:

This was a response to Manu's comment about the negativity seeming like jealousy, NOT about scoring mechanics that favor numbers and coverage. These forums have been stale for years but people aren't leaving these it seems, apparently the one true future of the mode and the forums are constant negativity.

Trust me fam. We haven't forgotten what it's like to have fun. In fact, everyone was quite excited being put against you guys.Unfortunately BP will likely be T1 again. Enjoy being T3.

And I actually mean enjoy. Honestly the pugs from those other tiers are a lot more skilled.

@LetoII.3782 said:

They also see a bunch of revenue from server transfers come in every time certain servers are open, why would they want to block their cash flow?

It's an unfortunate consequence of the free-to-play business model.Design decisions are influenced by things other than making a fun game.

but if the game is not fun they wont have players for to milk :( i bet that's why gw2 is a pve game only as in they are the easy crowd to milk :( anything else related to pvp is just bescause a mmo w/o it would be pretty bad.

@lilcoffeebean.3149 said:

@XenesisII.1540 said:HoD tanking again?

Nah, just getting beat straight up. PPT isn't covering the staggering amount of deaths and miniscule amount of kills. I could describe the carnage but it'd require an r-rating for intense graphic violence.

Haha, true, there is still some tanking probably but as I expected AR and BP are destroying us!

@manu.7539 said:I'm a nomal person and like many others I play a competitive game with the hope to win. There is no other sane way to play a game in team than doing your best. Sadly some players are ruining my team anytime we have a chance to reach T1 (and even T2 sometimes). We actually have a team that could win (we are actually in t1 since 2 weeks) but obviously some guilds and players are tanking. This is so frustrating for those doing their best to make a good use of that rare opportunity to win in T1. I feel like the tankers are stealing my money and hard work to reach and win T1. So yeah, guess I'm done trying to win after this week. Bored to waste tactics, time and money in an insane game ruled by losers :(

anet made it this way on purpose. they allowed bg to do this for months even tho they knew they were doing it so bg could stack the server cuz at the time most devs were on bg server and bg was the server everybody went to cuz anet kept buzzing them up to everybody. they also do it for nothing else then money. it all boils down to money. you all use your cc's to buy gems to xfer. youre shooting yourselves in the foot. but then again sheeple would never see this

@TheOneWhoSighs.7513 said:

Trust me fam. We haven't forgotten what it's like to have fun. In fact, everyone was quite excited being put against you guys.Unfortunately BP will likely be T1 again. Enjoy being T3.

And I actually mean enjoy. Honestly the pugs from those other tiers are a lot more skilled.

I hope u guys will give it a try and win T1 as you can. To me AR+BP is the strongest link atm. If u guys dont tank u can rule T1. And I dont mind about going T3! T1 for so long was nice but a bit exhausting! :#