Tankers in WvW: sadly they rule the game and sabotage my fun in WvW

manu.7539

@manu.7539 said:

@Dinas Dragonbane.2978 said:Many of the forum warriors here don't remember actually enjoying this part of the game, or flat refuse to.

What does that have to do with anything? People gain experience and grow. It was fun when they first experienced it. Then they leave when something becomes stale. None of that has any bearing on the scoring mechanics that favor numbers and coverage.

This was a response to Manu's comment about the negativity seeming like jealousy, NOT about scoring mechanics that favor numbers and coverage. These forums have been stale for years but people aren't leaving these it seems, apparently the one true future of the mode and the forums are constant negativity.

Trust me fam. We haven't forgotten what it's like to have fun. In fact, everyone was quite excited being put against you guys.Unfortunately BP will likely be T1 again. Enjoy being T3.

And I actually mean enjoy. Honestly the pugs from those other tiers are a lot more skilled.

I hope u guys will give it a try and win T1 as you can. To me AR+BP is the strongest link atm. If u guys dont tank u can rule T1. And I dont mind about going T3! T1 for so long was nice but a bit exhausting! :#

"exhausting" is why veterans of the game eventually accept that coverage is what matters in winning. Playing more, and feeling more stress to overcome coverage gaps is what inevitably leads to tanking. It's pretty ironic that you're happy to be dropping tiers after lamenting how those who want to drop tiers are ruining the game for you.

@Hackuuna.4085 said:

@Dinas Dragonbane.2978 said:Many of the forum warriors here don't remember actually enjoying this part of the game, or flat refuse to.

What does that have to do with anything? People gain experience and grow. It was fun when they first experienced it. Then they leave when something becomes stale. None of that has any bearing on the scoring mechanics that favor numbers and coverage.

This was a response to Manu's comment about the negativity seeming like jealousy, NOT about scoring mechanics that favor numbers and coverage. These forums have been stale for years but people aren't leaving these it seems, apparently the one true future of the mode and the forums are constant negativity.

Trust me fam. We haven't forgotten what it's like to have fun. In fact, everyone was quite excited being put against you guys.Unfortunately BP will likely be T1 again. Enjoy being T3.

And I actually mean enjoy. Honestly the pugs from those other tiers are a lot more skilled.

I hope u guys will give it a try and win T1 as you can. To me AR+BP is the strongest link atm. If u guys dont tank u can rule T1. And I dont mind about going T3! T1 for so long was nice but a bit exhausting! :#

"exhausting" is why veterans of the game eventually accept that coverage is what matters in winning. Playing more, and feeling more stress to overcome coverage gaps is what inevitably leads to tanking. It's pretty ironic that you're happy to be dropping tiers after lamenting how those who want to drop tiers are ruining the game for you.

I'm not saying that I am tanking or agree with tanking! Sounds that you have too much imagination! I was mad at last link because I had a feeling that we could win and we did finally. We also did it with SBI, we were lucky but mission is done already :p

Atm I dont feel like we're going to win again with SBI. I dont see us able to beat FC or AR so I'll not get mad and push my server in a lost cause, that's it, now dont think I'm happy! I'm just realistic about this link.

What I find genuinely funny about this thread is the health of WvW is much more dependent on people like Manu continuing to actually give a shit about winning matchups. All these people dumping on him are the type to religiously watch the l33t streamers and stand around outside SMC stroking their ego and tying their self-worth to the fact that they're able to win most of their 1v1's in an almost decade old game. Those people provide literally ZERO value to a game mode like WvW. Games with open world PvP NEED population. Including population that lives for objectives because that spawns the rest of the PK'ing in the game.

I haven't joined a raid in literally years. I only roam and I could give a shit about PPT but I also acknowledge that people like Manu are absolutely VITAL to the continued existence of WvW and if everyone like him quit then it'd be a miserable barren wasteland. Also kudos for actually caring about "Winning" despite there being no fancy rewards and it not fitting in the narrow definition of the elite gamer gods.

i really don't see your logic @"LieToMe.7806" ... and try to use less swearwords, it makes some sentences barely making sense. "continuing to actually give a kitten about winning matchups" the OP is giving a lot of effort to win matchups, from the posts he made in here. "not giving a shoot" would be sth else in my defintion.

i have no idea which streamers u talk about. and nobody seriously camps SM as serious fighting guild. that's only the roamers or uncoordinated pugs, bc they'd just ganked by other pugs outside, easy calculation. Wvw fighting guilds don't care a bit about winning or losing 1v1s. most 1v1s are some roamerclass engaging some zergclass from behind anyways lol.you also calculated yourself to providing zero value to Wvw? well, yeah.

the really big issue is not few people caring about objectives. its okay if 15-20/70 people care for objectives, but more than that on a single map are a disadvantage during heavy populated times and renders the bigger groups incapable of moving maps. then teamchat cries happen about either "no content" or "no help, guild elitists" etc

Wvw is an absolute miserable barren wasteland even yet. gets literally worth with every passing month. people wait for the expansion and are tired of playing. the biggest GvG guild/s on EU of KILL/LAYS don't even know more than 5 other active guilds bc they get literally no content or challenge since several months. guess even those 100 players only stay active bc they play as a habit. easy bag train, u get used to it with active strong guilds.

@kamikharzeeh.8016 said:Wvw is an absolute miserable barren wasteland even yet. gets literally worth with every passing month. people wait for the expansion and are tired of playing. the biggest GvG guild/s on EU of KILL/LAYS don't even know more than 5 other active guilds bc they get literally no content or challenge since several months. guess even those 100 players only stay active bc they play as a habit. easy bag train, u get used to it with active strong guilds.

Which isnt a problem with WvW, but the effect of 8+ years of guilds rising and falling and players condensing into new guilds under the very limited amount of more or less ambitious commanders.

But of course guilds regardless of it being 3 man, 25 man or 100+ man will never admit they are stacked because they are always the poor underdogs fighting the masses of the evil clouding proletariat.

@LieToMe.7806 said:What I find genuinely funny about this thread is the health of WvW is much more dependent on people like Manu continuing to actually give a kitten about winning matchups. All these people dumping on him are the type to religiously watch the l33t streamers and stand around outside SMC stroking their ego and tying their self-worth to the fact that they're able to win most of their 1v1's in an almost decade old game. Those people provide literally ZERO value to a game mode like WvW. Games with open world PvP NEED population. Including population that lives for objectives because that spawns the rest of the PK'ing in the game.

You know what made people give a shit about winning match ups?

Servers not being linked, actually having an identity, and thus having a rivalry. Kinda like AR/BP has with HoD at this point. Rivalries were the fun of WvW. To be invested in your server over another one, was the fun of WvW IN ALL TIERS.

You see it as everyone shitting on Manu. I see it as some of the most fun I've seen people have in this game in ages, and it's very reminiscent of the early days.

No one's talking about 1v1s. No one's talking about SMC. Everyone's talking about how they don't give a crap about winning Tier 1 because it's not fun to be in Tier 1. There's no rivalry with SoS or BG. There was never time & a chance to develop rivalry between these servers, because every couple of months BOOP, the servers at the top are changed.

It's more common for rivalries to form with the server you were linked to, than with the servers you're fighting. Pretty shitty when you think about it.

@"LieToMe.7806" said:What I find genuinely funny about this thread is the health of WvW is much more dependent on people like Manu continuing to actually give a kitten about winning matchups. All these people dumping on him are the type to religiously watch the l33t streamers and stand around outside SMC stroking their ego and tying their self-worth to the fact that they're able to win most of their 1v1's in an almost decade old game. Those people provide literally ZERO value to a game mode like WvW. Games with open world PvP NEED population. Including population that lives for objectives because that spawns the rest of the PK'ing in the game.

I haven't joined a raid in literally years. I only roam and I could give a kitten about PPT but I also acknowledge that people like Manu are absolutely VITAL to the continued existence of WvW and if everyone like him quit then it'd be a miserable barren wasteland. Also kudos for actually caring about "Winning" despite there being no fancy rewards and it not fitting in the narrow definition of the elite gamer gods.

Nah. You don't get to make a strawman argument with your assumptions about the people "dumping on him" to declare that the extreme opposite of that position is vital to the game. And then to go say that objectives are for spawning the rest of the PK is highly ironic when the opposite of your strawman is the player who goes out of their way to earn score to by avoiding PK.

What's vital in an open world PvP game mode is the player who provides PvP content. I get the sense that you haven't actually seen how out of the way some groups will go to avoid PK. The scoring system rewards that behavior more than it awards using objectives to PK.

@"Dawdler.8521" now u're getting over your head tho - a 3 man guild cannot be stacked really :D outside of very few examples, i don't know guilds with more than 25-30 ppl, as said. (guilds where the "stacking strong players" comes into usage i mean). then again, there's not even that many of these type of player left in Wvw / gw2 that u can really talk about stacking. most only log in at resets, WSR is a unique server in that regards. and it's rather the exception than the law imho

yeah the commander part is a point. not one that is solveable tho, i guess? not a lot of people have the option to shout into a microphone like a rapper, have great web and hardware, so they can command stuff in good way. those are the ones wanted tho.

it's not only guilds fighting huge clouds. also huge clouds + small guilds (the 10 pepe comps) fight the 25-30 sized (or lately rather only 15-20ish) fighting guilds often.

and even when i pug, i hate these supercloudy fights big time. if there's not at least one opentag, it's only plain chaos. i don't know how people can possibly enjoy this.

agreeing with @TheOneWhoSighs.7513 there - the rivalry part would make this more interesting, it does not exist really tho. the few raiding guilds know each other, but that's about it. basically, those all hate each other passionately (or nearly all). since those guilds decrease heavily in numbers, the overall competition doesn't exist anymore.

the game seems to become more faceless, guess especially since in this lockdown-time the players would need more encouragement to play. world around us is a bit more stressful than usually, so the tolerance for the ingame drama and randoms gets lowered, while also encouraged (by having more time to play in most countries and more passive stress at least)

then again, exactly this rivalry part will need a lot of time to rebuild. it's gone for now, and won't be reborn over night. it will all depend on what the expansion brings, i assume. which makes the load of expectations towards that even heavier, the longer it takes till its release.

@"ASP.8093" said:Blaming the link system for some perceived loss of "server pride" is just nostalgia goggles, imo.

The old system involved just as much bandwagonning as the current system, but all of it was laced with incredibly toxic "politics," too.

There were many server rivalries that ended due to that bandwagoning well before server linking as well.

@"ASP.8093" said:Blaming the link system for some perceived loss of "server pride" is just nostalgia goggles, imo.

The old system involved just as much bandwagonning as the current system, but all of it was laced with incredibly toxic "politics," too.

I'm aware. Server linking just magnified the problem. Any server linked with BG soars in population, just to plummet the next link. On top of that, more organic users from that server join the bandwagon.

Server linking was a band-aid on the player population problem, but another stab wound for the bandwagon problem.

It was a flimsy fix by ANet that was only an accelerant for the population bleed long term.

The old system involved just as much bandwagoning as the current system, but all of it was laced with incredibly toxic "politics," too.i'm not playing long enough to call it nostalgia issues. links and the need to transfer time and again just cause disruption amongst established player groups. even worse imo if u become used to one link. then you get a load full of strangers again in 4 months (after a doublelinktime). desolation in 2019 when i started even had the same link for a lot of time as far as i remember, cannot phrase even how confused i was when we all of a sudden had other ppl around. this toxicity of the link system was known amongst the dev, they even announced it as temporary solution initially. and hinted in late 2016 that sth else comes to replace it. and in 2017 mentioned alliances first time. and yet we are not past this step #allianceswhen

@TheOneWhoSighs.7513 yeah, and in EU that issue is basically triple the size due to the higher population.

@"ArchonWing.9480" while that is not incorrect, there should be ingame ways to do something against the casual "sieging up keeps and hide a zoneblob of 60 ppl inside it, who won't fight without borderlands bloodlustbuff + keep guild buff"

that's just all outdated mechanics fault imo.

@kamikharzeeh.8016 said:

The old system involved just as much bandwagoning as the current system, but all of it was laced with incredibly toxic "politics," too.i'm not playing long enough to call it nostalgia issues. links and the need to transfer time and again just cause disruption amongst established player groups. even worse imo if u become used to one link. then you get a load full of strangers again in 4 months (after a doublelinktime). desolation in 2019 when i started even had the same link for a lot of time as far as i remember, cannot phrase even how confused i was when we all of a sudden had other ppl around. this toxicity of the link system was known amongst the dev, they even announced it as temporary solution initially. and hinted in late 2016 that sth else comes to replace it. and in 2017 mentioned alliances first time. and yet we are not past this step #allianceswhen

"The need to transfer time and again" isn't caused by the link system, it's caused by people who are using links to make up for the primary server being perma-Full and treating the links as nothing more than an extension of the primary server. That's literally players pushing as hard against the system as possible because they don't like the results it creates.

And, like, I sympathize on an individual level when we're talking about a handful of people just trying to play with their friends. But the bigger groups moving around are choosing to damage the game mode so they can pretend to be part of one big fat bloated server instead of accepting that the links can just have their own identity and learning to enjoy the ride — once you learn to do that, I think the slow automatic churn is exactly what WvW needs, a bit of variation over time that doesn't rely on people quitting the game or starting a bunch of Server Drama.

@"ASP.8093"what else is the link than an addition to the host? the roles aren't carved in stone, but it is exactly that. u have a cup of water, and with another cup u have two cups of water. u have more water therefore? i see no other view possible on this.u cannot expect players to not use the maximum boundaries that a system allows. systems that are kinda abusable are just having a weak point that needs to be improved.

nobody talks bad about people playing with their friends. but i doubt most people have more than six irl friends that they play gw2-Wvw with. a mode with mass-pvp is always a social concept as well naturally.

__a link-host relationship is always sort of balance. very few links are far smaller than their hosts. quite some links even carry their host server in some regards. link is not a set term, as host isn't.

the only "bad" blobs are ONLY those, who specifically run when no one else can field one due to having no numbers, since it's just uncecessary and somewhat annoying then. we talk about 1am, 2am+ having 40+ groups here, when they fight against mostly 10 ppl, often the 40ish group even has superior bloodlust :P or some servers that somehow have random blobs at 6-9am

• all time numbers gmt+1 time in EU zone.

but with old damage, it would not been too crazy to just blast them away with some solid bombs. what shall i say, i defended a keep against 15 with 3 only, or another one with 15 pugs against 40~... but with current damage nerfs + targetcaps, it's like throwing wet noodles on them and praying to the critgods to make em pop faster than they can rally or click their dmg buttons. usually its just not possibly anymore. they crippled our tools, but still force us to build the pyramid or ded in the sands (=quitting gw2).

so, blobs that run during prime time or during ~1pm till 11pm are absolutely legit, because during these times 99% of the servers that i know are or would be able to field blobs as well. if they have however 40+ cloudy classes and/or builds on their map, they obviously are not competitive anymore. then it is indeed the players fault, and indeed they sort of harm the gamemode in that way.they may not notice this tho, otherwise they'd just relog on a zergbuild, if they don't run one on another template yet.

the real server drama was anyways exported into the discords. there's where the real politics and drama get's negotiated. this is not done via ingame PM nor map or teamchat, that'd be horrible to everyone :D

@ASP.8093 said:

@ASP.8093 said:Blaming the link system for some perceived loss of "server pride" is just nostalgia goggles, imo.

"The need to transfer time and again" isn't caused by the link system, it's caused by people who are using links to make up for the primary server being perma-Full and treating the links as nothing more than an extension of the primary server. That's literally players pushing as hard against the system as possible because they don't like the results it creates.

And, like, I sympathize on an individual level when we're talking about a handful of people just trying to play with their friends. But the bigger groups moving around are
choosing to damage the game mode
so they can pretend to be part of one big fat bloated server instead of accepting that the links can just have their own identity and learning to enjoy the ride — once you learn to do that, I think the slow automatic churn is exactly what WvW needs, a bit of variation over time that doesn't rely on people quitting the game or starting a bunch of Server Drama.

Yeah, so you're asking people to not be people. If you take the human out of the equation, then there's a billion solutions.

But uhh, hate to tell you this. But you really are taking the human out of the equation at this point. By slowly churning it, people get exhausted by the whole ridiculous system and just straight up quit. People aren't bots, they're going to damn well do what they want and you can't stop them. The link system is just magnifying that human element.

As for server drama. I dare say that's half the fun? As much as people like to pretend they don't like drama, they sure as hell get invested in it easily.

@TheOneWhoSighs.7513 said:Yeah, so you're asking people to not be people. If you take the human out of the equation, then there's a billion solutions.

Lol, no, I'm just saying that most of the complaints about server identity, the cost of transfers, all that stuff are specific to the people causing the problem in the first place. People locusting from link to link are complaining about how much that experience sucks even though half the reason it sucks is that they keep touching the hot stove on purpose, while insisting Anet only put the stove there so they could make more money.

@"Susy.7529" said:What is "tanking" in WvW?

tanking can mean a bulky class or build, that soaks up damage and outheals it. that's what some bulky classes can do, and bulky zergs surely do, if the other one doesn't concetrate their bombs (stacked AoE dmg).

the other term of "tanking", doesn't really exist. it's a made up up term that would effectively only exist, if Wvw was a competitive mode, where u win something by winning the ppt (points per tick) ranking. just, this isn't the case, ergo there is no competition, ergo there's no real tanking.

people in Wvw organized via discords, usually the most active players are having discord and gw2mist.com accounts as well. so u get overviews and means of communication amongst guilds, player distribution and fairly precise kill/death ratings.

in these discords, sometimes u want to get specific servers for next weeks matchup. therefore u can manipulate the matchups by just not taking a keep (= not killing the keep lord, moving out again or waiting for more defenders to fight instead of capping it)

some people also just log into their alt accounts for a week or two if they don't like the links, or if they don't want to play the respective matchups. others just play less due to real life, since u can decide your working times in some job or as student.

this kinda behaviour is confusingly called tanking here.

originally within the gaming area, the term tanking would mean to completely stop playing for a limited time to get an easier matchup in a highly competitive environment, in reality this concept isn't adaptable towards gw2's Wvw mode, bc there obviously is neither set teams nor existing rewards for those wins.

like, if the matchups would reward gold amounts for a weeks first place in ppt, people could tank for easy matchups one week if they are sure that they cannot win the current matchup, then farm a #1 place the next week against someone they could out-ppt. i'm honestly even a bit fine with not having this kind of reward system, since that would make the pretty bad overall system of Wvw even more problematic. but this basically explains the idea that the OP had in his head when writing about tanking. guess OP gets imaginary gold.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/14/2021 at 2:35 PM, kamikharzeeh.8016 said:

Wvw is an absolute miserable barren wasteland even yet. gets literally worth with every passing month. people wait for the expansion and are tired of playing. the biggest GvG guild/s on EU of KILL/LAYS don't even know more than 5 other active guilds bc they get literally no content or challenge since several months. guess even those 100 players only stay active bc they play as a habit. easy bag train, u get used to it with active strong guilds.

GvG guilds provide little to nothing to the game. They even refuse to play it. All they do is sitting on a part of a map, fight the same other guild 20 times and log off. They can't even keep their server in tier 4 without a link that plays the game for them.
They are the first to leave because it's boring and no content, while the rest of the population tries to play objectives or random pugmanders try to lead people that are not on fotm builds and still provide content.

With GvG guilds leaving nothing is lost. I'd even say they are the first to complain and to leave anyway while the rest can enjoy a 10v13 in a tower or a 5v4 in roaming etc.

• Like 3

if u really think that, u are just too new to understand how the format works.

guilds are the core of any server. two fighting guilds leaving are 20-30*2 players usually that are lost to the server. heavy impact, plus u lose at least two common opentags.

it's sad that people are ignorant enough to not see the value and value loss in this. well, they notice it when opentags lack or are taken over by not great performing others. the content the pugmanders provide is often not too great, because the suicide the whole squad in like half of all encounters.

so if u really think guilds only sit on the GvG spot, that's heavily wrong. u gvg only during guildraids for usually less than 40 minutes in total, while the usual running time are 2-3 hours there.

the ppt commanders of old times apparently even gone on voice for ppt... and beat easily a lot of todays comms, i had the honor to watch that yet. a guy with 15 people and few pugs around, on a greatsword firebrand just roflstomped on red border through some ppt voice comm with 40 people. big fun, but shows what the quality difference in a lead can make.

there's quite some newbie guild as well these days, who need yet about 2-3 years to become good. that's just natural, and those aren't that very effective first. but they can improve.

as pug or ppter only, there is barely any room to improve unless u do a ton of self-critizism, which ain't normal for most i feel. a group notices better who does what wrong and especially in fighting guilds with more experienced players around, it is easier and more direct to communicate.  and by the way, most won't even realize how often a guild saves your precious ppt. it's pretty often, bc u cannot beat bigger enemy groups with cloud formation and siege alone.

alone the dynamic skill flow, active blasting, positioning , kiting, the time when to keep the advantage and full ram through a enemy group, the timing when to stop chasing, the calls for a stealthing group... only a few things that a central in the gamemode and a puggroup or cloud just cannot provide.

Yaddayadda, war stories from the time when we all had PVT armor aren't relevant, are they?

I have eyes, and I see what is happening right now and that's what we are discussing.

Example from the mentioned guilds?

1) Claim a borderland, fight for two hours at the south camp sentry, log off. Do this 3-4 times a week.
I never saw any of their tags full public which is ok for me, because it's their commander and their rules.

2) fight 50v50 in EotM

The rest of the server sits in a tier 3 sm, sieged from bottom to top and leaves that zone as far as the buff and siege reaches.

If a re-link comes they end up with alone or with a low population server, so they transfer off, because they need to be carried hard to not get stuck in tier 5.

And this is the #1 problem in WvW right, players destroying servers and links by transfering around because they want to force everyone else playing what they want. If that doesn't work they quit the game. Take one look at NA and what happened to Fort Aspenwood or Maguuma. The "big fight servers" that completely destroyed themselves.

That's why I highly respect servers like Gandara, that train their pugs, teach them to do things in small groups and refuse to please other people over their own agenda. That's why I respect KISS more than LAYS, because KISS plays the game. They know how to siege, how to de-siege, how to deny supply and how to take a keep without trying to farm pugs for hours. They are not lost when they end up without a ppt link.

What do you think will happen at the next re-link? WSR gets linked to something like RoS (which lost around (confirmed) 200 players) and WSR suddenly has to play the game? They will transfer off to a medium server that is linked to Deso, FoW or PS.