Wasn't killing more elder dragons a bad thing?

Zola.6197

@Sajuuk Khar.1509 said:

@"Bast.7253" said:I don't know about the Krait though. .I mean, what makes the Tengu weapons more advanced? The style? The metallic nature of it? I don't think Krait have access to too many smelting forges at the bottom of the ocean. lol Then again I guess you always have Largos who don't seem to have a problem. I think it's just a difference of culture. Krait seem to lean more towards mysticism and magic and most of the Tengu I've seen in Guild Wars 2 at least seem to lean towards typical warrior/bowman/assassin type combat styles.

And can we really deduct that those other races are primitive just because they put less emphasis on decoration and how showy they are?Everything makes the Tengu weapons mode advanced. Look at the Krait axe for instance.
The krait axe is just a giant slab of obviously crude metal with some sharped edges literally strapped to a handle. On the other hand the Tengu axe
Is an obviously refined and worked piece of metal attached to the handle by something other then a strap. It shows clearly more advanced metal working skills.

This has nothing to do with culture, but the obvious difference in crafting ability. The same is true in other areas. Krait live in literally cobbled together, rickety, shipwreck, masses, with little in the way of complex structures, or homes, or even really rooms. The Tengu built the wall. Its like comparing the Kodan, who were able to make their floating iceberg sanctuaries with complex architecture on par with that of other races like the human, and the Quaggan, Grawl, or Hylek, who all live in small lean-tos, or communal family huts.

There is a very clear difference in the level of development of races like the Tengu, Kodan, and Dredge, to that of the Grawl, Krait, Hylek, Quaggans, Ogres, Harpies, etc.

I just don't know if that kind of logic applies in a fantasy setting though. You're assuming the Krait couldn't make better weapons if they WANTED to. And in the ocean depths do they really need anything intricately designed? Whether it has a handle or not if it does the job, it does the job. For all we know the Krait origins could be monolithic undersea structures made of carved stone. But even if they aren't and they all choose to live in caves/coral reefs, it doesn't mean they're incapable of building something more. There just isn't much need. Outside of the Deep Sea Dragon but it's an Elder Dragon.

I get where you're coming from because in real life that's a sign of one civilization being more advanced than another, but in a game filled with varying levels of sentient humanoid species with different needs in habitat, I don't think you can really apply that same logic. The tengu carved a massive decorative wall surrounding their city but that mean they're more advanced, it just means they have a culture more similar to humans in desiring architecture with more aesthetic.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Sajuuk Khar.1509 said:

@"Teratus.2859" said:The same could be said for Tengu and especially Skritt too really.

But I don't think their technology should limit them.The bigger issue with Hylek mechanically is that their main contributing strength is Alchemy and the Dwarves already kinda filled that role.That said I could still they could contribute by having a CC alchemy skill give em a decent AoE chill or immob or something to help keep enemies grouped up.

That and the larger Nuhoch allies can also stomp and knock down enemies as well, it would make them a good ally to have even if their technology is primitive.For the Tengu? Not really. The Dominion of Winds wall is a feat of crafting, and architecture, far beyond the likes of the tribal species like Grawl, Hylek, Quaggan, Ogres, Harpies, etc.

You can see this in their weapons also. The Grawl, Kylek, Krait, and Orge, weapon sets all look distinctly primitive, and crude. Whereas the Tengu weapons look fairly advanced.

Speaking more from a magic/technology perspective, the Tengu haven't really displayed the same kinds of advanced magical and technological proficiency that would put them on the level of the main races as well as some of the others like Exalted and Dwarves.

I agree the Tengu are not on the same level as Grawl and Ogres etc but they're not quite as high as others either which would make them by definition more "primitive"But a strong argument can be made as well that the reason we've never seen better examples of their magical and technological prowess is because they have actively hidden it from other races.. which is a very believable scenario.So Tengu as far as we've seen don't quite seem on the same level as some of the more advanced races we have in Gw2.. but they're definitely not as primitive as some other races are.

It comes down to that same question.. "What can they offer?"Well from what we know, the Tengu can offer their skills as weaponsmiths and their skills as archers.. but we already have plenty of allies that can do this as well.Tengu weapons maybe finely crafted but are they better than Exalted Weapons?, Crystal Bloom Weapons?.. can't really say.

@Sajuuk Khar.1509 said:You can see this in their weapons also. The Grawl, Kylek, Krait, and Orge, weapon sets all look distinctly primitive, and crude. Whereas the Tengu weapons look fairly advanced.

I'd disagree about hylek weapons. Those look like fine crafted metals, just like tengu weapons. And the krait were capable of building the Tower of Nightmares through carpentry and forges, so I'd disagree with them being primitive too - you don't build a massive tower through slavery by being primitive. I'd say the crudeness comes from the fact that they use slaves, which aren't prone to care for quality.

@Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

@Sajuuk Khar.1509 said:You can see this in their weapons also. The Grawl, Kylek, Krait, and Orge, weapon sets all look distinctly primitive, and crude. Whereas the Tengu weapons look fairly advanced.

I'd disagree about hylek weapons. Those look like fine crafted metals, just like tengu weapons. And the krait were capable of building the Tower of Nightmares through carpentry and forges, so I'd disagree with them being primitive too - you don't build a massive tower through slavery by being primitive. I'd say the crudeness comes from the fact that they use slaves, which aren't prone to care for quality.

Tower was a combined effort alongside a Nightmare Court faction.

@The Greyhawk.9107 said:

@"Sajuuk Khar.1509" said:You can see this in their weapons also. The Grawl, Kylek, Krait, and Orge, weapon sets all look distinctly primitive, and crude. Whereas the Tengu weapons look fairly advanced.

Tower was a combined effort alongside a Nightmare Court faction.

I'm aware. Nightmare Court handled the plants, but the krait handled the construction. That was the combined effort. In the preview, it was established the krait (not NC) were cutting down the wood and "building something".

• 2 weeks later...

@Dawdler.8521 said:

@Gombie.3860 said:I think you should save judgement until it's concluded.

Maybe something bad doesn't happen and that's the future setting? /Shrug

But if jormag and prime die then aurene gets all the power right?Heh, I thought the setup for a possible GW3 has been obvious since the doric drm - an alternate scenario (compared to EoD) where Jormag wins, the world gets frozen and then our players wakes up centuries later to a new Tyria. The story even makes it more interesting when they start to argue the state of the frozen.

Naw lets see one where The player character from up guild wars 1 stop the Searing of Ascalon from ever happening. I created a plot of what could happen and to the events of the game story what changes and what dose not.