Can I just join Balthazar already? — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Can I just join Balthazar already?

Lagg.3960Lagg.3960 Member ✭✭

I bloody well hope that there's some kind of plot twist happening, this is beyond shameful for any warrior.

Comments

  • Rognik.2579Rognik.2579 Member ✭✭✭

    Have you paid attention to the story, and WHY Balthazar is the "bad guy" here? It has nothing to do with him being the god of war and more about his ego overriding logic.

  • Martnor.1746Martnor.1746 Member ✭✭✭

    I actually think the OP could be on to something interesting. It would have been really interesting to give the player an option to join Balthazar. This would have given us a further insight into Balthazar's point of view. Make the story seem like he is misunderstood or something and we have to help him towards a seemingly worthy/good goal. Then towards the end, if Balthazar was really meant to be evil in the story, he could have betrayed us/stabbed us in the back to make it even more... poignant. It would have been the same result in the end but it could have been fun.

  • Curennos.9307Curennos.9307 Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 24, 2017

    Balthazar was a better villain than any of the Elder Dragons ever were (which isn't saying much, but still...). I wish they hadn't killed him off so soon - I had hopes of seeing him as a raid boss.

  • Cloud Windfoot Omega.7485Cloud Windfoot Omega.7485 Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 24, 2017

    @Curennos.9307 said:
    Balthazar was a better villain than any of the Elder Dragons ever were (which isn't saying much, but still...).

    I wish they hadn't killed him off so soon - I had hopes of seeing him as a raid boss.

    jeze use a spoiler tag

  • Martnor.1746Martnor.1746 Member ✭✭✭

    @Cloud Windfoot Omega.7485 said:

    @Curennos.9307 said:
    Balthazar was a better villain than any of the Elder Dragons ever were (which isn't saying much, but still...).

    I wish they hadn't killed him off so soon - I had hopes of seeing him as a raid boss.

    jeze use a spoiler tag

    Yea that spoiled it for me there :(

  • BobbyT.7192BobbyT.7192 Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 24, 2017

    @Martnor.1746 said:

    @Cloud Windfoot Omega.7485 said:

    @Curennos.9307 said:
    Balthazar was a better villain than any of the Elder Dragons ever were (which isn't saying much, but still...).

    I wish they hadn't killed him off so soon - I had hopes of seeing him as a raid boss.

    jeze use a spoiler tag

    Yea that spoiled it for me there :(

    Always assume any thread (especially in lore) you go into post xpac release will have spoilers. Your just as to blame as the op

  • BobbyT.7192BobbyT.7192 Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 24, 2017

    Delete.........

  • @BobbyT.7192 said:

    @Martnor.1746 said:

    @Cloud Windfoot Omega.7485 said:

    @Curennos.9307 said:
    Balthazar was a better villain than any of the Elder Dragons ever were (which isn't saying much, but still...).

    I wish they hadn't killed him off so soon - I had hopes of seeing him as a raid boss.

    jeze use a spoiler tag

    Yea that spoiled it for me there :(

    Always assume any thread (especially in lore) you go into post xpac release will have spoilers.

    How about, i not expect a thread which does not pertain to spoilers to have spoilers, and when there are some people USE THE FREAKING SPOILER TAG?! That's the whole kitten point of the spoiler tag!

  • BobbyT.7192BobbyT.7192 Member ✭✭✭

    O> @Cloud Windfoot Omega.7485 said:

    @BobbyT.7192 said:

    @Martnor.1746 said:

    @Cloud Windfoot Omega.7485 said:

    @Curennos.9307 said:
    Balthazar was a better villain than any of the Elder Dragons ever were (which isn't saying much, but still...).

    I wish they hadn't killed him off so soon - I had hopes of seeing him as a raid boss.

    jeze use a spoiler tag

    Yea that spoiled it for me there :(

    Always assume any thread (especially in lore) you go into post xpac release will have spoilers.

    How about, i not expect a thread which does not pertain to spoilers to have spoilers, and when there are some people USE THE FREAKING SPOILER TAG?! That's the whole kitten point of the spoiler tag!

    Or not enter the forums at all,

  • @BobbyT.7192 said:

    @Cloud Windfoot Omega.7485 said:

    @BobbyT.7192 said:

    @Martnor.1746 said:

    @Cloud Windfoot Omega.7485 said:

    @Curennos.9307 said:
    Balthazar was a better villain than any of the Elder Dragons ever were (which isn't saying much, but still...).

    I wish they hadn't killed him off so soon - I had hopes of seeing him as a raid boss.

    jeze use a spoiler tag

    Yea that spoiled it for me there :(

    Always assume any thread (especially in lore) you go into post xpac release will have spoilers.

    How about, i not expect a thread which does not pertain to spoilers to have spoilers, and when there are some people USE THE FREAKING SPOILER TAG?! That's the whole kitten point of the spoiler tag!

    Or not enter the forums at all,

    you cannot be serious....

  • BobbyT.7192BobbyT.7192 Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 24, 2017

    @Cloud Windfoot Omega.7485 said:

    @BobbyT.7192 said:

    @Cloud Windfoot Omega.7485 said:

    @BobbyT.7192 said:

    @Martnor.1746 said:

    @Cloud Windfoot Omega.7485 said:

    @Curennos.9307 said:
    Balthazar was a better villain than any of the Elder Dragons ever were (which isn't saying much, but still...).

    I wish they hadn't killed him off so soon - I had hopes of seeing him as a raid boss.

    jeze use a spoiler tag

    Yea that spoiled it for me there :(

    Always assume any thread (especially in lore) you go into post xpac release will have spoilers.

    How about, i not expect a thread which does not pertain to spoilers to have spoilers, and when there are some people USE THE FREAKING SPOILER TAG?! That's the whole kitten point of the spoiler tag!

    Or not enter the forums at all,

    you cannot be serious....

    I don't have much sympathy for people, don't want to be spoiled, don't come into a place which people will be talking about it, tag or no tag. Maybe they should have a big spoiler tag on the lore sub forum. Would that make people feel better.

  • Rognik.2579Rognik.2579 Member ✭✭✭

    Did people really expect Balthazar not to be killed at the end of the story? I pretty much was, and I'm still stuck on The Departed. ArenaNet has never been one to let obvious bad guys stick around to Get Us Next Time. A spoiler would be saying that Kralkatorrik gets killed after they stress how bad an idea it is to kill the dragons. (No idea if this happens. I'm just making a point.) Yes, it is better to put anything like that in a spoiler tag or make it clear the thread will spoil stuff, but honestly, this isn't a shock.

  • All the end of the story showed me is that Balthazar was right and we should have joined him. Other gods abandoned us, just like those Zaishen continue to say in Crystal Oasis. That kitten about how we can't kill the dragons anymore is also proven wrong by Kralk just absorbing the massive cloud of bloodstone/godly/jormag/primordus energy that is Balth. Balth could have just easily done the reverse had his plan worked. Also, Balth only kills us because we repeatedly get in his way, he even offers to let us join him multiple times and is clearly holding back in most of our encounters. And finally, we could have just given him the spear and then he wouldn't have had to go after Aurene (who I don't really care about but in game our character does so whatever) in the first place. Rytlock seems to be the only sensible member of the party, and that's including our character. Oh, and we've likely released Joko again by killing Balth, so good job on us all around on screwing the world up even more.

  • I would've joined Balthazar in a Heartbeat and never looked back. I HATE that my Character is forced by the storyline to not only have strong antagonistic feelings towards what I consider to be his Patron God, but developing an atheistic viewpoint in general - I feel we should at least have a choice in this.