If mounts were to be added to WvW, how would you prefer them to be?

MithranArkanere.8957

Add WvW only mounts related to WvW masteries.

• Move as fast as swiftness.
  • Engage skills only usable on your own territory and are WvW related (deploy siege trap, deploy stealth trap, deploy siege disable, deploy supply)
  • Each mount has its own characteristics: Charr car reduces siege dmg, dolyak increase supply capacity...

I would personally like to see mounts introduced to WvW, but without any special benefits other than not having to rely on Swiftness. Some professions and builds still struggle a bit with movement speed, not having a trait or utility that permanently increases it, and/or not having an easy way of generating the boon. Mounts could certainly help with that and not "force" the use of, e.g., Traveler runes. My vote would be; movement speed on par with Swiftness to be on a level playing field with those that runs on foot (using Swiftness), regular jumping as if "Disable Conditional Mount Movement Ability Input" were toggled on, no special mount attacks or abilities (there's a few mounts that would just not work for WvW as they'd easily break into enemy structures by going over walls), instant de-mounting if you get put into combat and the ability to use them inside enemy territory as their purpose in WvW would just be movement speed. Oh, and all damage should apply to the player character.

Maybe the Griffon could retain the ability to glide, just don't let it flap it's wings to gain height. Obviously not in enemy territory, it would need to use the same mechanics as if using a glider. If it'd be easier to just ground it from a programming perspective, then by all means ArenaNet should do that. It wouldn't be critical that it can glide, as de-mounting is quick and there is gliding available in WvW already. It'd only save a few button presses. It could however, be a costly (250 Gold) way to glide for those who haven't purchased HoT, but that have purchased PoF.

I guess they could give us an option for using a standardized unlocked mount model within WvW, perhaps a wolf re-skin using the Jackal model and animations. That could perhaps help reduce visual clutter and strain on the client for some people, should that be of concern. Without their special abilities, I don't see how mounts can break WvW maps, so I would rather want to see them sooner than later with this kind of implementation. Not having to build for Swiftness would be heavenly after 5 years of being a slave to movement speed.

@Sovereign.1093 said:dlyak mounts =)

It would be interesting to actually being able to spend some consumable or complete a nearby veteran creature event (which are utterly useless and unrelated to the mist war right now) to gain the right to grab one dolyak and ride it to another objective you control to drop the supply there.

It would have to be restricted like the Egg in the lava keep, so we don't get massive zergs of dolyaks, but maybe it could be doable.

But the dolyak rides would still have to run as slow as other dolyaks from that camp, and they would still show in the map, and a dolyak out of a normal path would be a dead giveaway that a player is there. So going alone would be dangerous, even if the camp got superspeed dolyaks.

@Malerian.8435 said:If mounts were introduced into WvW I would like to be able to get them through WvW. Do not want to waste my time in PvE.

That would have to the the case regardless. WvW abilities are separate to PvE masteries. Whatever WvW could get, raptors, dolyaks, assault rollers or otherwise would have to be earned in WvW, and trained with the Wvw mastery system.

I think the 0 ability one is a good idea. Just moving at swiftness all the time is useful, or 40% on desert bl with the shrine effect. Floating down mountains on a griffon feels like that's something that should be a part of desert bl. Especially if you're defending a keep. You could feasibly add the abilities in via tactivators, but then it gets hairy.

Another thing I'd like to add is that you shouldn't have the mount health bar, but just your normal health bar while riding it. You give up the use of your skills and defense from items and stats for the aesthetic of riding a mount at perma swiftness. Combat would take you off the mount immediately, so it would be dangerous to ride one into battle since your stats would be lower for the first set of incoming hits leading into your auto-dismount.

@katniss.6735 said:Another thing I'd like to add is that you shouldn't have the mount health bar, but just your normal health bar while riding it. You give up the use of your skills and defense from items and stats for the aesthetic of riding a mount at perma swiftness. Combat would take you off the mount immediately, so it would be dangerous to ride one into battle since your stats would be lower for the first set of incoming hits leading into your auto-dismount.

I'd give it a HP bar, but making it take increased damage from other players, so the attack from some random NPC won't dismount you, but the weakest autoattack from a player would. Or just outright dismount if attacked by a player. Mounts definitely can't be something a player can use to run away rom fights, only something to catch up faster with friends on the frontlines.

They should make it that you can only mount inside a tower/keep/fort you control. Once you dismount you're stuck on foot again until you re-enter your controlled areas. That way, you can use it as a means to better position yourself for the fight, but not something to remove the point of moving on foot.

@kKagari.6804 said:They should make it that you can only mount inside a tower/keep/fort you control. Once you dismount you're stuck on foot again until you re-enter your controlled areas. That way, you can use it as a means to better position yourself for the fight, but not something to remove the point of moving on foot.

Oh. There could be stables/garages on controlled objectives, like how you can test ride mounts in PoF without having the mounts. In WvW, the mounts in the controlled locations would be unusable until the first point of their ability track is enabled. They could also be added to sentry posts. If you don't have the WvW mastery, you grab the medic kit and make do with its swiftness. If you have it you grab the ride.

@MithranArkanere.8957 said:I'd give it a HP bar, but making it take increased damage from other players, so the attack from some random NPC won't dismount you, but the weakest autoattack from a player would. Or just outright dismount if attacked by a player. Mounts definitely can't be something a player can use to run away rom fights, only something to catch up faster with friends on the frontlines.They already die to a stiff breeze because they've got next to no HP, CC you when they die, and can't be used in combat.

Adding just the basic raptor to WvW would finally end the long, cruel reign of the movement speed meta by equalizing speed for everyone, and I don't know how anyone could complain about that.

This... My friends..... is called a rigged vote. You say not to comment on adding mounts to WvW but then again you want us to vote for something about mounts if they were going to be added to WvW. To understand stuff any stuff you need to follow back to its base reasons of representing itself. If the base reason that represents is NO MOUNTS in WvW. Then this sub topic wouldn't and shouldn't be voiced. You are forcing a vote to bring about awareness that you want mounts in WvW. Don't get me wrong you have the right to spin your wheels and I mainly voice this out for others to read of your hypocrisy..

@Hevoskuuri.3891 said:I believe they created the Territory system with mounts in mind, as well as gliders.

I'd prefer the mounts to be fully usable with their abilities in your controlled territories, except the attack skill should be toned down or removed entirely.

How did they create the territory system with mounts in mind? Where is the basis for this? They don't even have that system in pve.

@DemonSeed.3528 said:

@Hevoskuuri.3891 said:I believe they created the Territory system with mounts in mind, as well as gliders.

I'd prefer the mounts to be fully usable with their abilities in your controlled territories, except the attack skill should be toned down or removed entirely.

How did they create the territory system with mounts in mind? Where is the basis for this? They don't even have that system in pve.

This looks like an assumption. One that has some merit, since it was the best solution to add gliding. Without territories clearly delimiting where players can glide and preventing people to ues gliding to go over walls, it would not be possible to add gliding to WvW. I would definitely be against gliding without territories.

Now most people I've seen talking about it in-game agree that gliding within controlled territories is better than both not having gliding and having it everywhere. Specially around the east side of Desert borderlands.

Since territories were successful in properly limiting gliding in WvW, and since they got added before the expansion that added mounts, some people think they will also try mounts in WvW.

That's one of the reasons I started this thread. So people talked about how they'd prefer them to work in WvW in the hypothetical case they added them to WvW as a test to see if they can be added without impacting the game in an overly negative manner. Like they did with gliding. Preferably without knee-jerk reactions jumping to say no without talking about it or giving it a try. Many people won't stop to think that mounts in WvW would have to be different in many ways to PvE ones. Even gliding is different, in PvE the evade also makes your invisible, in WvW it doesn't do that, it's just an evade.

• 1 year later...

@MithranArkanere.8957 said:

@DemonSeed.3528 said:

This looks like an assumption. One that has some merit, since it was the best solution to add gliding. Without territories clearly delimiting where players can glide and preventing people to ues gliding to go over walls, it would not be possible to add gliding to WvW. I would definitely be against gliding without territories.

Now most people I've seen talking about it in-game agree that gliding within controlled territories is better than both not having gliding and having it everywhere. Specially around the east side of Desert borderlands.

Since territories were successful in properly limiting gliding in WvW, and since they got added before the expansion that added mounts, some people think they will also try mounts in WvW.

That's one of the reasons I started this thread. So people talked about how they'd prefer them to work in WvW in the hypothetical case they added them to WvW as a test to see if they can be added without impacting the game in an overly negative manner. Like they did with gliding. Preferably without knee-jerk reactions jumping to say no without talking about it or giving it a try. Many people won't stop to think that mounts in WvW would have to be different in many ways to PvE ones. Even gliding is different, in PvE the evade also makes your invisible, in WvW it doesn't do that, it's just an evade.

Looks like you guys hit things on the nail from 2 years ago.And today we are all benefiting from the introduction of mounts in WvW.

I'm on the top of the world looking down on creationAnd the only explanation I can findIs the love that I've found ever since you've been aroundWarclaw's put me at the top of the world