(Spoiler) "Hidden" mount was a mistake and mounts in general need to be toned down.

The griffon mount needs to be removed. This is exactly the type of mount of WoW uses and it kills content. People are allowed to bypass too much by using them. Ground mounts are more prone to being attacked and stopped via things like tar traps. Flying bypasses everything and will only make future content warped in order to accommodate it. Flying effectively renders the other mounts obsolete. Why raptor jump or skimmer when you can simply fly? (The bunny and jackal are still somewhat protected as the bunny can increase vertical distance more quickly and the jackal can use sand portals.) The meager counterargument is that the griffon cannot go past its initial height. But with the bunny and griffon one can bypass a majority of the map. (reach nearby high point -> fly) Mounts and gliding may add some amount of fun but they have also succeeded in removing any challenge the z-axis provided in this game. Mounts need to be more specific to dealing with environmental challenges and less about going 100mph past everything.

• Like 2

The raptor is still much faster than the griffon and when riding the griffon above quicksand, for example, which kills you almost instantly when you fall inside it, is not safe, since you can fly for a while but as soon as there's a rise in the environment the griffon will touch the ground since pressing sb for take off consumes all endurance directly. Of course it's easier to keep flying if you are already up high, but that's basically the same as gliding.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Either you haven't played WoW or you don't have the griffon mount because this is not "exactly the type of mount WoW uses." In World of Warcraft, flying is the same thing as basically swimming in mid-air; you have full control over the X-Y-Z of your character. You can hover at any distance for any duration. The griffon is different because it just does small hops and glides unless it has great height. If it does have that altitude, the griffon does amazing things but it requires some tricky (but very fun) aerial maneuvers. As for bypassing everything... Guild Wars 2 has waypoints. You don't get faster travel than instant teleportation.

@Paralux.6714 said:The raptor is still much faster than the griffon and when riding the griffon above quicksand, for example, which kills you almost instantly when you fall inside it, is not safe, since you can fly for a while but as soon as there's a rise in the environment the griffon will touch the ground since pressing sb for take off consumes all endurance directly. Of course it's easier to keep flying if you are already up high, but that's basically the same as gliding.

The raptor by design cannot be faster as it has to deal with ground obstacles. The griffon is far faster than gliding and can take you longer distances.

Anyone can think of contrived situations where one mount may shine but in general the griffon is the best in a majority of cases a majority of the time. So unless Anet wants to keep making specific situations where another mount is optimal, the other mounts may as well not exist.

@Manimarco Devil.1790 said:

@Paralux.6714 said:The raptor is still much faster than the griffon and when riding the griffon above quicksand, for example, which kills you almost instantly when you fall inside it, is not safe, since you can fly for a while but as soon as there's a rise in the environment the griffon will touch the ground since pressing sb for take off consumes all endurance directly. Of course it's easier to keep flying if you are already up high, but that's basically the same as gliding.

The raptor by design cannot be faster as it has to deal with ground obstacles. The griffon is far faster than gliding and can take you longer distances.

Anyone can think of contrived situations where one mount
may
shine but in general the griffon is the best in a majority of cases a majority of the time. So unless Anet wants to keep making specific situations where another mount is optimal, the other mounts may as well not exist.

The raptor is much faster than the griffon when you are on the ground (which you are most of the time.) The griffon is pretty much unless on the ground, because you can't take off from the ground and end up in the sky, because of the endurance bar. The griffon is just good if you are already up high. It's not like in WoW, where you can fly straight up from the ground and stay in the air while being afk.

@Nokaru.7831 said:Either you haven't played WoW or you don't have the griffon mount because this is not "exactly the type of mount WoW uses." In World of Warcraft, flying is the same thing as basically swimming in mid-air; you have full control over the X-Y-Z of your character. You can hover at any distance for any duration. The griffon is different because it just does small hops and glides unless it has great height. If it does have that altitude, the griffon does amazing things but it requires some tricky (but very fun) aerial maneuvers. As for bypassing everything... Guild Wars 2 has waypoints. You don't get faster travel than instant teleportation.

I meant in terms of ability to skip content they are similar. And specifically skipping content by flying over it is what WoW has. The waypoint argument is ridiculous. Way points still required you to reach them. Way points can be contested. Way points were reasonable where players could only navigate terrain in a certain manner so they served as checkpoints. The new maps have even less way points and may continue to have less with the addition of mounts so griffon becomes better than "instantaneous" travel.

@Paralux.6714 said:The raptor is much faster than the griffon when you are on the ground (which you are most of the time.) The griffon is pretty much unless on the ground, because you can't take off from the ground and end up in the sky, because of the endurance bar. The griffon is just good if you are already up high. It's not like in WoW, where you can fly straight up from the ground and stay in the air while being afk.

I already addressed that. Its already becoming more common and easier to bunny to a nearby location and fly than use another mount. See: bounties where 90% of the zerg is griffon. (unless they needed to bunny to reach new higher location)

I also think raptor is still worse if you are walking uphill as the terrain prevent the raptor jump from going full distance so its only better on flat ground.

Oh look its this post again showcasing the eagle at it's best while not taking into account that even at its best (a 1% scenario) it's objectively the second slowest mount, and has the lowest base health meaning if anything remotely looks at you while riding it and has a tracking projectile you're SOL.

The raptor is by the way the fastest mount when using skills and traveling in a linear fashion. Yes its even faster than griffon unless A.) The Griffon has jumped to the highest peak possible and B.) The rider has maxed mastery. Only when both conditions are met is it "better".

The jackal is the fastest in an all purpose scenario where you may have to dodge/jump small gaps. It's run speed is the second fastest.The springer is the 3rd slowest mount, tied with the griffon. Like the griffon it excels with vertical movement. Unlike the griffon it requires constant use of terrain.The skimmer is the slowest of all the mounts, except on water/hazardous terrain.

@Manimarco Devil.1790 said:Anyone can think of contrived situations where one mount may shine but in general the griffon is the best in a majority of cases a majority of the time. So unless Anet wants to keep making specific situations where another mount is optimal, the other mounts may as well not exist.

Yet...here we are...most people still using various other mounts besides the Griffon...

Can these forums stop crying over the most ludicrous things? Really?

I think ANET did a fantastic job balancing the mounts so that they each still have their own situational uses. The only one that i can think that lags just a little behind is the skimmer, but that is only because of the lack of deep water in POF. I have the griffon, but i spend a lot more time running around on my raptor. Probably in the area of 70% raptor to 30% griffon.

In my opinion, the devs should never have allowed gliding in the rest of Tyria. We already can see, that it's used for exploiting maps, either in PvE or WvW.

Same with the mounts. They should only be usable in PoF. Otherwise it's giving unfair advantages to those having bought PoF over those who haven't."Look an event just spawned! Oh wait, it's already over because few people were there in 5secs and killed everything..."

Mounts didn't hurt WoW - I actually preferred flying and the lack of it being readily available is one of the reasons I no longer play WoW. If WoW has been hurt by anything, it's designers who forgot the original magic of the game -- it was still there in the second and third expacs, and then they thought they'd reinvent the wheel, and it hasn't been the same since.

The griffon looks really cool imo.

@Nokomis.5076 said:In my opinion, the devs should never have allowed gliding in the rest of Tyria. We already can see, that it's used for exploiting maps, either in PvE or WvW.

Same with the mounts. They should only be usable in PoF. Otherwise it's giving unfair advantages to those having bought PoF over those who haven't."Look an event just spawned! Oh wait, it's already over because few people were there in 5secs and killed everything..."

In what way...is that a bad thing? I expect a 400 horsepower car to beat a 300 horsepower car...that's how the world works. Also, the whole 'events getting zerged and completed within seconds' was addressed years ago and has never been an issue since...nor will it be.

Just like every other single MMO...if you piddle around and miss an event....then you wait for it to happen again...

Ok maybe it might seems like OP has overreacted a little bit but I totally get his point.The fact that we now have a fast almost flying mount will for sure affect development of the game.From now on maps have to be designed with this sometimes gamebreaking mount in mind.Rest of the mounts and gliding feel like they're supposed to be helping in overcome obstacles in your journey.Griphon feels like it's just avoiding and skipping them altogether.Sure, not so many people got him, but it will change in time.

@Pixlboy.5296 said:Ok maybe it might seems like OP has overreacted a little bit but I totally get his point.The fact that we now have a fast almost flying mount will for sure affect development of the game.From now on maps have to be designed with this sometimes gamebreaking mount in mind.Rest of the mounts and gliding feel like they're supposed to be helping in overcome obstacles in your journey.Griphon feels like it's just avoiding and skipping them altogether.Sure, not so many people got him, but it will change in time.

I honestly fail to see how the griffon is substantially different from gliding in what it allows you to do in the game. Gliding doesn't ruin the PoF experience; I'm not sure why the Griffon has to ruin future map experiences.

@The Revenant.4970 said:

@Nokomis.5076 said:In my opinion, the devs should never have allowed gliding in the rest of Tyria. We already can see, that it's used for exploiting maps, either in PvE or WvW.

In what way...is that a bad thing? I expect a 400 horsepower car to beat a 300 horsepower car...that's how the world works. Also, the whole 'events getting zerged and completed within seconds' was addressed years ago and has never been an issue since...nor will it be.

Just like every other single MMO...if you piddle around and miss an event....then you wait for it to happen again...

How was events being zerged/completed in seconds addressed?

When I do zone event dailies this is a common occurance.

I bet a lot of these complaints wouldn't exist if the Griffon (which isn't required for any content) didn't have a semi high cost and require effort through Collection to achieve.

The Griffon is nothing but a prestige item, has no impact on character progression or content. There might be some validity to these complaints if there is any content and game that required the griffin mount but alas there is none that requires a be doneusing any other mount

Having the all the mounts, I use them all at different times. Raptor is needed to Run fast and cover LAND quickly, Bunny I always need to Jump walls and more. Skimmer I use to move fast over WATER and Poison land. Jackal Sand ports and Large mobbed area that i want to blink through. Griffon I use to get hard to reach points, But I always use it with another mount. It does not Bypass content like people say, It gives you another way to get to a location. Some places its easier to use another mount for the same goal. Anet Balanced the mounts well. The only breaking part would be in the Core maps and even then gliding already broke 99% of it.