The Departing

Happened to me as well. No save points for a VERY long instance. Beyond frustrating. I was thinking about getting my boyfriend and bestie to join in on the fun but there is no way I will subject them to this. Please, ANET fix your instances. New players to the franchise won't stick around with this kind of frustration.

Would like to add my own bug report to this. Played through The Departure twice in the past hour or so, both times it disconnects when talking to Joko AFTER defeating the Eater of Souls. I'm on a cliffhanger here! Please fix ASAP, thanks! The last thing in the conversation thread before the game crashes is my character saying (SPOILER!!!)....."I need your army, but I don't need you". I have not gotten past this part yet.

@Talecgosa.7326 said:Would like to add my own bug report to this. Played through The Departure twice in the past hour or so, both times it disconnects when talking to Joko AFTER defeating the Eater of Souls. I'm on a cliffhanger here! Please fix ASAP, thanks! The last thing in the conversation thread before the game crashes is my character saying (SPOILER!!!)....."I need your army, but I don't need you". I have not gotten past this part yet.

I've not had the problem, but my friend did. It disconnected him twice at this same point, give or take 10 seconds. It worked after he left the party we were in. Not sure if that's just a coincidence, or if being in a party had anything to do with it.

@Talecgosa.7326 said:Would like to add my own bug report to this. Played through The Departure twice in the past hour or so, both times it disconnects when talking to Joko AFTER defeating the Eater of Souls. I'm on a cliffhanger here! Please fix ASAP, thanks! The last thing in the conversation thread before the game crashes is my character saying (SPOILER!!!)....."I need your army, but I don't need you". I have not gotten past this part yet.

I have this too, been stuck on this story step since Friday. Very very frustrating, I have tried it multiple times per day and it always disconnects me right after this line. First there were lots of problems with instances so I thougth it was related to that, but now I even get it during offhours so it must be something else.Please I have played through that story about 16 times now, in parties and without, it always gives me this DC.

I''ll try repairing GW2 again, maybe the sound file has been damaged for Joko's next line, but I dont see why what would give a disconnect instead of a different error.

I was able to get past this on the third try. I turned all my graphics to lowest setting (not sure if this helped or not but it's one of the things I did), and as soon as I defeated the Eater of Souls I ran past Joko and up to the gate to the portal. After Joko's conversation, as soon as the prompt to open the gate came up, I spammed it and jumped through the portal. I hope this helps!

@VogonWarper.5841 said:Odd. My sequence is different.Kill eater of SoulsFreed souls cheer and helper gives a speechSee message door is open go to it.Joko speaks.get kicked out of game client.

Update - SuccessThe account having issue Vogon2,was moved over to my iMac and Vogon1 which had already completed this joins party on PC and launched the story.Vogon1 did Balthazar fightVogon1 did all the running around and killed Souleater.Vogon2 was waiting at the door, cant interact.Vogon1 moved to gate as Joko is speaking. Speech over , door is open end of story.

Day 3 of the same story. I finally made it to the Judge (2 more crashes) and killed the eater of souls. Final cut scene(I think) , I crashed again. wth. I will try jumping through the gate asap. If this doesn't work. I will go back to map completion till its fixed. I cant count how many hours I spent on this One story line....

I too, had the disconnect after defeating Eater of Souls and then talking to Joko, twice. The solution is not game data, or graphics, its a progression mechanic. Make sure when you kill the Eater of Souls that you are far enough away from Joko so that he DOESN'T speak to you. You do this because the Little girl is supposed to talk to you first and departs to recieve her reward from the Judge at which point you make ur way to the gate and that's when Joko will talk to you again. Good Luck!

@Talecgosa.7326 said:Would like to add my own bug report to this. Played through The Departure twice in the past hour or so, both times it disconnects when talking to Joko AFTER defeating > the Eater of Souls. I'm on a cliffhanger here! Please fix ASAP, thanks!

My gf and I both had the same issue repeatedly, on different accounts and on different PCs - both while in a party together and solo. I scoured the forums and came up with this list of things to try. Normally when troubleshooting, I'd try one thing at a time, but this story chapter was so tedious to re-attempt that I gave in and just did all these things at once.... and it appears to have worked. I'll list them in the order that I think is more likely to have been relevant.

Quit the chapter (The Departing) in the story journal, then re-started it. Started moving up the staircase to the gate blocking the exit portal as the Eater of Souls was nearly defeated and so that I could run to the gate immediately upon his death. The Joko dialog started and I listened to it all from the top of the staircase by the gate. I pressed "F" the instant the gate "Open" option became available and hopped through the portal and successfully completed the chapter.

Other things I did that may or may not have helped: Followed the "My Purpose" bird around the map and let each sequence play completely before moving on to the next. Rebooted my home network's router and my PC before starting the game client. Ran the game client with the "-repair" option to repair the archive. Ran it after the Sept 28th patch that came out around 7pm EDT (though patch notes don't mention "The Departing").