Crafting is a mess — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Crafting is a mess

It's been said before, but after seeing it for myself I'm going to say it again. I was going to start crafting ascended gear, but going through the sheer amount of chancy, and difficult to get junk - it's just making my head spin. I don't know if having dyslexia is part of the issue, but it doesn't help with how many steps is needed. After awhile it all runs together, and turns into gibberish.
I've given up on trying to do raids. And as for fractals, after my last experience I'm staying away from those. I'm not sure what to do now.

Comments

• Rasimir.6239Rasimir.6239 Member ✭✭✭

What kind of gear do you intend to craft? Weapon? Armor? Which crafting disciplin? If you can give us a few more specifics I'm sure we (as in: the forum community) can talk you through the first few steps to get you on the way. Once you've tried for yourself it gets a lot easier!

• @Pifil.5193 said:
    I'd advise you to go to gw2efficiency.com, there's a crafting tab there where you can type in what you want to make and it gives you a step by step guide to make it.

Here's the link:
    https://gw2efficiency.com/crafting/calculator
    This resource was instrumental in my decision to craft my first legendary item; it just made everything so clear in a handy to-do list.
    That whole site is brilliant, by the way.
    If you've never come across it before, I'd really recommend setting up an account with your API and having an explore. They even host a monthly lottery.
    ~TG

• I'm on the fence here.

On the one hand, I agree that sometimes trying to get the mats, the sub sub sub recipe, the sub sub recipe, the sun recipe and finally find you need the top level recipe as well... Or, everything in reverse... is somewhat frustrating.

On the other hand, I like to make my own discoveries and get that "Aha! THAT'S where I get it!" feeling.

I have no solution other than a completely different approach. Maybe look to EQ2? I dunno.

• The worst part of crafting is the lack of understanding why items require certain mats in their numbers (other than to jack the prices).
    I would rather have items be gated to quests/mini-stories to prove worthiness to make such pieces of artwork.

"That's what" -- She

• of crafting a Morda> @Flatley.1620 said:

I'm on the fence here.

On the one hand, I agree that sometimes trying to get the mats, the sub sub sub recipe, the sub sub recipe, the sun recipe and finally find you need the top level recipe as well... Or, everything in reverse... is somewhat frustrating.

On the other hand, I like to make my own discoveries and get that "Aha! THAT'S where I get it!" feeling.

I have no solution other than a completely different approach. Maybe look to EQ2? I dunno.

Crafting by drilling down sub-recipes, that's only if you're lucky. I crafted a Mordant Sickle yesterday, and needed to switch to another craft to make me some Pulsing Brandsparks. Luckily I have weaponsmith and armorsmith on the same character.

• @Game of Bones.8975 said:
    The worst part of crafting is the lack of understanding why items require certain mats in their numbers (other than to jack the prices).
    I would rather have items be gated to quests/mini-stories to prove worthiness to make such pieces of artwork.

In all honesty, I'm against gating - of ANY kind. I may be in tge minority but this would make me give ip crafting altogether. ;). Just a personal viewpoint mind.

• @Flatley.1620 said:

@Game of Bones.8975 said:
    The worst part of crafting is the lack of understanding why items require certain mats in their numbers (other than to jack the prices).

In all honesty, I'm against gating - of ANY kind. I may be in tge minority but this would make me give ip crafting altogether. ;). Just a personal viewpoint mind.

OK, what if I said they were **linked **to quests/mini-stories?
    I know gating has a bad connotation with time-gating and only being able to craft one item per time period.
    I hope you weren't complaining about the language used, but because you didn't add any constructive criticism I have no reason to believe otherwise. Generally speaking quests and story content isn't limited to once per day per account.

"That's what" -- She

• To OP, if your feeling overwhelmed by the amount of steps then break it down, pick 1 component and focus on that and have a goal to progress it a little bit every play session without worrying about the overall project - the build up feels much less painful that way and it avoids the frustration.

"Any path that narrows future possibilities may become a lethal trap. Humans do not thread their way through a maze; they scan a vast horizon filled with unique opportunities." - The Spacing Guild Handbook.

Beware the meta!

• Einlanzer.1627Einlanzer.1627 Member ✭✭✭✭

Yeah, it's....... not great.

• Blude.6812Blude.6812 Member ✭✭✭

on the side the entire crafting menu needs a complete revamp, refinement should be at the top--always!
    I have used this help too http://gw2crafts.net/

• There's definitely a lot of QOL tweaks that could still be implemented, perhaps I'm an idiot but I've always wanted a collapse all option for the category tabs.

• setdog.1592setdog.1592 Member ✭✭
    edited September 28, 2017

crafting was complex at first, but now after leveling armorsmith, weaponsmith, leatherworking, huntsman, and artficer to 500, i think its pretty great and one the more interesting aspects of this game. once you understand how discoveries work its pretty easy

i wish they would do more with the whole crafting component of the game, because there are alot of recipes i have access to that in all likelihood will never get used.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.