So, how about them Hyenas?

Durzlla.6295

Anet, can we please get that very nice looking healthy Hyena model for our loveable laughing "canine" friends? I'm tired of walking around with the most malnourished looking pet in the game when I run with a Hyena, couldn't be too much to ask to just, swap the model for the juvenile Hyena with the POF Hyena skins.

Or at the very least create a second Juvenile Hyena using the new model so we can choose which one to take...

Anyone else in agreement?

I do agree the model needs to be changed, as Ranger it is my duty to take care of my pets, no way they should look so unhealthy!

While we're on the subject of hyenas,

I believe the spawned Hyena Ally should stay when entering beastmode - why should entering beastmode effectively cancel a pet unique skill?

(Also lets not forget that hyenas have unique stats compared to other canine pets - they have half the power values!)

@Fluffball.8307 said:Hyenas are more closely related to cats. Main priority should be getting them moved from the canine family to the feline family.

Yeah this has been brought up in the past and really don't think/remember if the devs answered to that, but I wouldn't prioritise it ahaha

I mean it is closer to cats but it does share some traits with canine but I get what you mean - its more cat than it is dog.

Moving from canine to felone would also drastically change hyena's skills: the auto attack and the 2 family skills, so we'd lose both an extra hard CC and an extra soft CC

What I find funny is that most if not all hostile wolves use a skill that calls an ally, they simply could've made different breeds of juvenile wolves, one with an ally calling howl and the other with the fear-inducing terrifying owl

Best solution would be to create new canine with ally summon skill (double cripple and double knockdown!) and move hyena to feline and keep its ally summoning skill (double bleeds and vuln!)

@Durzlla.6295 said:Or at the very least create a second Juvenile Hyena using the new model so we can choose which one to take...

I'd be down with this. A Juvenile Spotted Hyena with normal power stats with a Howl that taunts. An alternative could be to "Charm" a Spotted Hyena, but it just swaps the skin and profile image of the Hyena. If a player wants to use the original Hyena skin/pic, they just re-charm a core Juvenile Hyena. Though, I prefer getting another Hyena (with normal stats).

@ProtoMarcus.7649 said:I do agree the model needs to be changed, as Ranger it is my duty to take care of my pets, no way they should look so unhealthy!

While we're on the subject of hyenas,

I believe the spawned Hyena Ally should stay when entering beastmode - why should entering beastmode effectively cancel a pet unique skill?

(Also lets not forget that hyenas have unique stats compared to other canine pets - they have half the power values!)

Yes, this bugged me a lot, like THE perk of using the Hyena is having the two bodies for the extra CC, and soulbeast just kinda negates that.

@Fluffball.8307 said:Hyenas are more closely related to cats. Main priority should be getting them moved from the canine family to the feline family.

They may be closer related to cats than dogs genetically, but they are pack animals, and they behave/hunt closer to dogs do, so i'd argue that giving them feline skills would be very strange, if you want to really split hairs the Hyena is mostly closely related to otters and mongooses and as such should have completely different skills than both canines and felines if we're deciding their skills on a purely genetic level.

@ProtoMarcus.7649 said:I do agree the model needs to be changed, as Ranger it is my duty to take care of my pets, no way they should look so unhealthy!

I am very much in agreement with the OP, and ProtoMarcus drives the point home. I love hyenas, and it makes me sad that the one my asura ranger cares for... doesn't look cared for. Like... at all. :cry:

If the old Hyena model can't be updated, it would be a nice alternative to be able to charm the new hyenas. They're just too awesome to ignore!

Just to set the record straight. Hyenas are not members of the dog or cat families. Instead, they are so unique that they have a family all their own, Hyaenidae. There are four members of the Hyaenidae family: the striped hyena, the “giggly” spotted hyena, the brown hyena, and the aardwolf (it's a hyena, not a wolf).

@Fluffball.8307 said:

if you want to really split hairs

I don't want split hairs, even though t is extremely annoying that hyenas are canines.

They effectively behave like canines and fill the same niche as wolves do on other continents so it's not really that big of a deal.

Calling the Smokescale a "saurian" is much more rustling.

Also the "Raptor" mount being an Allosaurus with a dragon head...

@MidnightX.6294 said:You find the hyena ugly? Have you ever looked at the Siamoth? Thats one ugly thing, i dare to choose it just because of the look.

I don't find the OG Hyena model ugly, I find it diseased and malnourished, it looks like it would belong to a necro or an abusive owner.

And I think the Siamoths are fine... don't gotta be hating on my little ecto piggie

@Durzlla.6295 said:if you want to really split hairs the Hyena is mostly closely related to otters and mongooses and as such should have completely different skills than both canines and felines if we're deciding their skills on a purely genetic level.

I sooooooo want a pet otter!

@Durzlla.6295 said:

@MidnightX.6294 said:You find the hyena ugly? Have you ever looked at the Siamoth? Thats one ugly thing, i dare to choose it just because of the look.

I don't find the OG Hyena model ugly, I find it diseased and malnourished, it looks like it would belong to a necro or an abusive owner.

And I think the Siamoths are fine... don't gotta be hating on my little ecto piggie

You know how sometimes pets and their owners look-a-like? Maybe that's the idea with the hyena model too as rangers were pretty much abused by everyone else!

@FrouFrou.4958 said:

@Durzlla.6295 said:

You know how sometimes pets and their owners look-a-like? Maybe that's the idea with the hyena model too as rangers were pretty much abused by everyone else!

I always thought it was because they were meant to be our Empathetic Bond slaves back when it was a trait i'd expect to see for necromancers.

@Durzlla.6295 said:

@FrouFrou.4958 said:

@Durzlla.6295 said:

I always thought it was because they were meant to be our Empathetic Bond slaves back when it was a trait i'd expect to see for necromancers.

Now there is a trait change for EB, when the pet dies from all the conditions, it explodes and applies those condis to nearby foes LOL :D

@Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582 said:

@Durzlla.6295 said:

@FrouFrou.4958 said:

@Durzlla.6295 said:

Now there is a trait change for EB, when the pet dies from all the conditions, it explodes and applies those condis to nearby foes LOL :D

lol i refuse to stand behind such a trait for rangers

@Durzlla.6295 said:

@Durzlla.6295 said:

@FrouFrou.4958 said:

@Durzlla.6295 said:

lol i refuse to stand behind such a trait for rangers

It was just a joke, making EB like Death Nova.

• 1 year later...

+1 on getting a healthy hyena option. I've been running a hyena pet since my hunter in WoW, and when I switched over to GW2 several years ago, I was so happy to see hyena as a pet option for my ranger... Until I actually saw the poor thing. Now that there's a healthy looking spotted hyena skin in the game, can't we just get some juveniles?

+1 too on getting a healthy Hyena skin but.... They shall really adress the ability of hyena and give it back half of the power canine type from 974 to 1868. And the hyena that is summoned shall have the same stats as our proper hyena and get bonus from skills that interact with it (weapon attack, the new shou...command and even the bonus traits from Beastmastery traitline ) . Because actually the summoned hyena is nearly pointless for damage and only usefull for a Knock down of 2 sec with a CD of 30sec for a summoned hyena who live only 40 sec...

@Gabrya.6297 said:+1 too on getting a healthy Hyena skin but.... They shall really adress the ability of hyena and give it back half of the power canine type from 974 to 1868. And the hyena that is summoned shall have the same stats as our proper hyena and get bonus from skills that interact with it (weapon attack, the new shou...command and even the bonus traits from Beastmastery traitline ) . Because actually the summoned hyena is nearly pointless for damage and only usefull for a Knock down of 2 sec with a CD of 30sec for a summoned hyena who live only 40 sec...

The hyena was nerfed to being half power so that when it’s out the hyena does as much damage as canines, and when it’s out in any scenario it can be buffed (IE Warhorn ranger or spirits) the hyena doesn’t immediately outperform every other pet we have.

Granted this was also back in the glory days of no limit to how many hyenas you could have out since there was no duration, it was just a “until it died or you left combat.” Sort of thing.

I do think at this point in time though they should lower the CD on the hyena summon to like 20s, but add a hard cap to the number of hyenas we can have out, cause currently we can get 3 for a brief like 4s period when traited appropriately. This would allow the Hyena to be useable, instead of just dead in the water.