About Avatars - Page 2 — Guild Wars 2 Forums
Home Guild Wars 2 Discussion

About Avatars

Comments

• Neoma.3207Neoma.3207 Member ✭✭

I'm ok with what's current, I guess? But I would love to have more options for the avatar.

• edited October 4, 2017

I see a few questions, so here are a few answers:

Why upload?
    Because that fixes the problem. I'd say the process shouldn't matter, as long as everything is spiffy afterwards, right?

May I upload an avatar? Could I submit a personal avatar for you to review and approve?
    Sorry, no. That way leads to madness (huuuge time sink) and potentially to badness (inappropriate images) as well. Been there, done that in other forums, don't wanna do that again. ;)

Can I choose to not have an avatar?
    Sorry, that's not an option. Things look wonky without something in that space. Do consider that the generic pale grey dragon isn't going to pop out at anyone so if you don't choose an alternative option, the grey dragon will be placed and you'll be fine.

How many quaggan options will we get?
    Hey, I'm not telling!

Will you be adding more avatars in the future?
    Yep, that's the plan!

About Custom In-Game Images as Avatars: The technology does not exist to take snapshots of your in-game characters and port them into avatars. And given the decision that must be made by any company as far as priorities, I believe that the best use of our dev team's time is in creating game content that can be enjoyed by players. Remember, I'm "the forum person" for ArenaNet, and yet I'm saying this! Don't get me wrong. I'd love to have this spiffy new toy and that amazing new element to enhance the forum experience. But as a player, and with eyes on the main thing we do here at ArenaNet, I want -- I think we all want -- game content most of all. :3

Gaile Gray
    Communications Manager: ArenaNet
    Fansite & Guild Relations; In-Game Events; Community Showcase Live

• sorudo.9054sorudo.9054 Member ✭✭✭✭

what about adding the option to show your character?
    blizzard has this for years and i love it, would be nice for this forum as well.

the truth is harsh, my opinions are too.

• a few DOZEN new avatars?? Sweeet! Thank you!

• So why do away with letting us use our own pics? I'd prefer that to being forced to use what I don't want.

• Windu The Forbidden One.6045Windu The Forbidden One.6045 Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 3, 2017

I must admit I am a bit disappointed. When I saw the notification about this topic I hoped it was about giving us the ability to use custom avatars (like almost every other forum on the web). Or at the very least let us use our own characters as avatars. Gaile has a custom avatar, so why can't we?

• @Windu The Forbidden One.6045 said:
    I must admit I am a bit disappointed. When I saw the notification about this topic I hoped it was about giving us the ability to use custom avatars (like almost every other forum on the web). Or at the very least let us use our own characters as avatars. Gaile has a custom avatar, so why can't we?

I imagine Gaile's custom avatar is uploaded to the forum server. It would be nice if we could submit our own avatars to whoever looks over Forum Security and then they decide if the avatar is good, and then they upload it to our account to use (so no one else could use them).

@Gaile Gray.6029 Do you think my above idea would be possible?

• @AegisRunestone.8672 said:

@Windu The Forbidden One.6045 said:

I imagine Gaile's custom avatar is uploaded to the forum server. It would be nice if we could submit our own avatars to whoever looks over Forum Security and then they decide if the avatar is good, and then they upload it to our account to use (so no one else could use them).

@Gaile Gray.6029 Do you think my above idea would be possible?

I doubt it, as she just said it would be a huge time sink. Maybe....some day in the future, the distant future is my guess.

• Sorry. I should have read. :/

• There are services out there like Gravatar that I'm sure the forums could be integrated with.

I understand having to host millions of avatars isn't viable, especially because a lot of people would just log in once to change their avatar and the sum of them all would represent an unreasonable amount of data. And I also understand the moderation implications that would need to be in place to prevent offensive images.

But at least one of those 2 issues could be solved with Gravatar (not sure about moderation on their side). Server load could even be avoided through a front-end integration (just did a quick Google search about it, and there are a few integrations with jQuery out there, and jQuery is already used on the forums).

Anyway, the web team most likely thought of this and had good reasons not to implement it (moderation?) but I just wanted to make sure I suggested it. Just in case!

• Cronos.6532Cronos.6532 Member ✭✭✭

still waiting on that in-game photo booth

signature

• Ayakaru.6583Ayakaru.6583 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 4, 2017

/10 characters to short after deleting it's contents

To defeat the dragons, see the good in them.
    Zhaitan reunites lost ones, primordus creates fertile land, mordremoth spreads the green, and jormag..
    ..jormag? Who's that?

• Ayakaru.6583Ayakaru.6583 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Gaile Gray.6029 said:
    I already answered the question about custom avatars, but I can expand, if you like: There are literally tens of thousands of players (probably hundreds of thousands, but I'm giving a conservative figure) who are or have been active on our forums at one time or another. There are literally millions of game account owners who conceivably could choose to become active at any time. If even only 10% of these players wanted to upload images asking for a review and approval, we'd be buried! This is simply not a scaleable task, and it's not something that we can offer.

As to what other forums offer: I understand some forums have different technology, just as some have different security parameters. But please, comments that refer to "every other forum on the Internet..." as having something just are not true. There is very little shared by even a dozen forums across the Internet, and virtually nothing that is shared by "all" of them. So while I understand what you want, I also understand what we can offer. Custom avatars or images from within the game simply aren't on the table right now. And yes, I said "the table" and "are not" in the same sentence. =)

but can't you do something the same way warcraft does it?
    you choose a 'main character' and then from the login screen a square is placed around the head and a screenshot is taken, similar in the way you already do in the pre-LS personal story (in the chat boxes)

To defeat the dragons, see the good in them.
    Zhaitan reunites lost ones, primordus creates fertile land, mordremoth spreads the green, and jormag..
    ..jormag? Who's that?

• Juba.8406Juba.8406 Member ✭✭✭

And still nothing done to Text size and the white spaces.

• Nikal.4921Nikal.4921 Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 4, 2017

Yeah, it's not the avatars taking up space, it's too much white space everywhere. And resizable text (as in, a setting that could be saved) would be nice for those of us with large monitors and old eyes. :)

• Maulclaw.4365Maulclaw.4365 Member ✭✭✭

Wouldn't it be better to just.... allow players to pick their own icons and let their characters and originality flow? It's what most Forums do...

• @Gaile Gray.6029
    you are going about this the wrong way around. We are living in age of advanced AI with multum of options to automate processes such as image filtration. You don't have to dedicate much manpower for such tasks - that's the way it was done in 90s and early 2000s. Not today though. For example this. Also do make note that creating "safe and friendly" forum is good you are already kind of going over board with it to the point where the effect is reverse to the intent.

• I just uploaded all the avatars -- both the existing ones and a few dozen news ones. You now have more than 70 different ways to display your Guild Wars 2 Love. :)

Enjoy!

Gaile Gray

• Donari.5237Donari.5237 Member ✭✭✭✭

Hmm. Still none that really express "me" to me, though as I RL am a long haired female human this'll work for now. Thanks for the additions! Here's hoping a later QoL lets us use in-game target head-shot portraits as others have suggested many times now, for that will be a truly individual avatar.

• @Gaile Gray.6029 said:
    You're welcome! I'm already working on some possible additions in the future. :)

Can't wait to see the next batch of 5,000 avatars! =)

• Thanks @Gaile Gray.6029, more selection = more betterness!

Let's be neighbours.

• CptAurellian.9537CptAurellian.9537 Member ✭✭✭✭

Nice start with new avatars, I'm curious at the next batch.

R.I.P. Build Templates, 15.10.2019

• Yaaaaasss! =)

I love 'em! This avatar here is the closest I could get to the face and hood of my asura thief/daredevil.

Thank you SO much! :)

• eduardo.1436eduardo.1436 Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 4, 2017

Love golems! Could we get hero-Tron as an avatar too? ;)

• "Killer" selection!

Conglorcarations.

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
    “Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
    “Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”

• RoseofGilead.8907RoseofGilead.8907 Member ✭✭✭✭

I love my new avatar.

Oh look. I have a signature now.

• JustTrogdor.7892JustTrogdor.7892 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 4, 2017

Nothing fits my name better than the generic dragon. Suggestion, Rodgort avatar that only I can use. :tongue:

• Mea.5491Mea.5491 Member ✭✭✭✭

I want a Magister Sieran avatar, please and thanks.

• Doggie.3184Doggie.3184 Member ✭✭✭

Why are there no fluffy doge avatars or magical in-game character snapshot to avatar function? :>

• edited October 4, 2017

About Custom In-Game Images as Avatars: The technology does not exist to take snapshots of your in-game characters and port them into avatars. And given the decision that must be made by any company as far as priorities, I believe that the best use of our dev team's time is in creating game content that can be enjoyed by players. Remember, I'm "the forum person" for ArenaNet, and yet I'm saying this! Don't get me wrong. I'd love to have this spiffy new toy and that amazing new element to enhance the forum experience. But as a player, and with eyes on the main thing we do here at ArenaNet, I want -- I think we all want -- game content most of all. :3

I will add this to the informal FAQ I posted yesterday.

Gaile Gray

• Donari.5237Donari.5237 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 4, 2017

Aww, sadness. Then please at least keep pressing to get ever more avatars. There are so very many in-game icons for skills, objects, foods, guild emblems -- you could eventually inundate us with enough choices just from that that we'd see far fewer duplicate avatars.

• <---
    I hope there will be avatars for all the upcoming holidays, and not just Halloween.

Please, and thank you. :smile:

• Fenom.9457Fenom.9457 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 4, 2017

Can we get more generalized character art? I wanted a weaver char, but I'm a guy... (Edit to clarify I pointed that out because weaver art is female)

I'd rather keep going.. wherever the wind takes us

• Soxx.1264Soxx.1264 Member ✭✭

Canach avatar please, most of the squad is represented ... except its best member.

https://d3b4yo2b5lbfy.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/wallpapers/LastStandAtSouthsun-1920x1080.jpg

• Endelon.1042Endelon.1042 Member ✭✭✭

@Soxx.1264 said:
    Canach avatar please, most of the squad is represented ... except its best member.

https://d3b4yo2b5lbfy.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/wallpapers/LastStandAtSouthsun-1920x1080.jpg

Oh yeah definitely! We need a Canach avatar!

• @Soxx.1264 said:

Canach is my spirit animal.

• Neoma.3207Neoma.3207 Member ✭✭

@Gaile Gray.6029 said:
    About Custom In-Game Images as Avatars: The technology does not exist to take snapshots of your in-game characters and port them into avatars.

With this statement, I find myself wondering how Final Fantasy XIV and World of Warcraft do it on their community website.

• Frostfang.5109Frostfang.5109 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Neoma.3207 said:

@Gaile Gray.6029 said:
    About Custom In-Game Images as Avatars: The technology does not exist to take snapshots of your in-game characters and port them into avatars.

With this statement, I find myself wondering how Final Fantasy XIV and World of Warcraft do it on their community website.

They probably spend more money, resources and technology on useless stuff, letting game-content suffer.

• Roda.7468Roda.7468 Member ✭✭✭

@Frostfang.5109 said:

@Neoma.3207 said:

@Gaile Gray.6029 said:

They probably spend more money, resources and technology on useless stuff, letting game-content suffer.

Nope.

• Finally i can be Scarlet ;)

• Ardid.7203Ardid.7203 Member ✭✭✭✭

@TwoGhosts.6790 said:
    Just remove them altogether.
    They are a waste of screen real estate and their implementation on these forums is tokenistic at best.
    Avatars are about personal expression and identity. The opportunity for this is almost entirely absent given their implementation here.
    They are pointless and get in the way.
    ~TG

Fully agree. If we are not getting personalized avs, then is better if you remove them.

• YAAYSSS!!! Quaggan avatar! \o/

• Shirlias.8104Shirlias.8104 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 5, 2017

And now that we have got new avatars i expect some new threads.

1. Avatar should Fly
    2. Please give avatars emotes
    3. Now that i got my new avatar i have nothing else to do.
    4. Please remove new avatars!

Etc...

Jk :sweat_smile:

• I like the way you think, Shirlias! =)

Gaile Gray

• Shirlias.8104Shirlias.8104 Member ✭✭✭✭

Btw Gaile new avatars are Great but i m in love with the thief icon =)

Thanks for the upgrade!

• Kichwas.7152Kichwas.7152 Member ✭✭✭

It'd be nice if there were some Elonans in there - at least one Elonan female avatar. All we have in there is caucasians (Ascalonians). Not even any Krytans... O.o

Just say no to butt-flaps. | 光復香港 時代革命

• @Neoma.3207 said:

@Gaile Gray.6029 said:

Possibly they already had that technology since beginning, or before they had their forums. Anet didn't spend time on such feature since the original forums didn't even support avatars to begin with.

Also, as already mentioned, implementing such feature at this stage (how advanced and complex the game code must be at the moment) will demand some dev time, that would be better spent developing in-game content instead some cosmetical forum feature.

For sure I also think it would be way cool to have a portrait of our chars, but there are better priorities at the moment I believe.

P.S.: @Gaile Gray.6029: Maybe it's my browser's cache messing with me but it seems some pics are still too small and then gets blurred. For instance, this one https://us.v-cdn.net/6027239/uploads/avatarstock/nNKC59O56ED2Q.png looks blurred here and looks very small when opened directly.