So, you've received your griffon mount after a lot of hard work and the painful loss of gold and maxed out the masteries for it. But how do you do all the special stuff mentioned in the masteries? I struggled at first. So, here's the info I discovered through trial and error.
Wing Flap: Key-binding is the jump key, usually the space bar
Swoop(engage ability): Key-binding is first attack key or "1" on the keyboard
Mount: Typically set as the "x" key
Mount Ability 1: Bound to the "v" key and used to pull griffon into a dive
Mount Ability 2: Bound to the "c" key and used to pull the griffon up into a climb
Soaring Rescue: You can now mount the griffon midair. While in the air, use the mount hotkey to hop onto the griffon.
Aerial Prowess: Use Swoop to dive towards the ground and engage foes below you, or enter the dive state using movement ability 1. When you gain substantial diving speed, use movement ability 2 or the backwards-movement key bind to carry your momentum upwards.
Getting the timing down will take practice, so find an easy-to-get-to high vantage point to practice these abilities.
Aerial Finesse: Wing Flap can now be used while diving and pulling up to gain a burst of speed in your movement direction.
Places to practice:
Little to no money needed for these areas to waypoint to a higher elevation
- Rata Sum (Just avoid the jail cell areas)
- The Crown Pavilion in Divinity's Reach
- The Black Citadel, right outside the Asura Gate
- Gendarran Fields if you have the Captain's Airship Pass
- If you want to test your moves, any of the Griffon Master/Expert Adventures in the Crystal Desert, gives option to send you back to beginning if you land or die
- Guild Halls are also a good place to practice, especially if there are oakheart essences used to decorate the area.
Fun Areas to Fly:
These areas are less forgiving when wiping out, but are still great to check out on the griffon.
- On top Fionnghuala Scratch in Timberline Falls
- Mount Maelstrom at the volcano
- Verdant Brink at the canopy
- Tarir in Auric Basin
- Dragon's Stand
- Bloodstone Fen
- Ember Bay away from the jumping puzzle
- Bitterfrost Frontier
- Draconic Mons
- Dwayna's Reliquary in Siren's Landing
The default setup of the keys may not be the most comfortable or easy to use. I personally use alternate key-bindings to get the most enjoyment out of my griffon.
Here's some examples:
- If you don't really use strafing, the mount abilities can be set to "Q" and "E". The mount abilities will take precedent and overwrite the strafing controls while in the air.
- Swoop remains set at "1", Mount ability 1 set to "2" and Mount Ability 2 set to "3". This works well on a regular keyboard but is also my personal setup for my MMO computer mouse. It's very comfortable and I don't have to contort my hand in a weird position.