GW2 Game Client Opening and Closing Over and Over

So I'd been having a problem with my game client freezing during updates (it started when the client was first updated for Path of Fire and has continued since). One time I used task manager to close it before it froze, then I was able to re-open the client and it updated normally, no freezes. So tonight I was trying to do the same thing, I used task manager to close it before it froze, but now there is a new problem. Whenever I try to start the game the smaller box (before you get to the actual log in screen) will pop up for about 3-4 seconds, then it will close on its own, then it will open again on its own, and it just keeps repeating this. I've restarted the computer twice to no avail and I've tried repairing the game client but it doesn't do anything but try to launch the game and it winds up doing the same thing. I also tried deleting the entire GW2 folder and running the setup again, but it ultimately wound up at the same problem. I have no idea if I missed something and didn't fully "uninstall" the game so that may be it. Anyway I have no idea how to fix this and any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

@popcorn.7103 said:I have no idea if I missed something and didn't fully "uninstall" the game so that may be it.

%appdata%/Guild Wars 2/Local.datDocuments/Guild Wars 2/Local.dat (only exists if the other is an older version)%temp%/gw2cache*

For more information on what the launcher is trying to do, use the -log option, which saves to %appdata%/Guild Wars 2/Gw2.log

Ok, I opened up the log, and the latest error log (I assume the farther down you go the newer the info is since the date on crash logs works that way) is this:

--> Error Logs <--Patch open of 'C:\Users\User\Desktop\Guild Wars 2\Gw2-64.tmp' for write failed with error 32Opening archive 'C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\Guild Wars 2\Local.dat' failed with error 5Failed to open 'C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\Guild Wars 2\Local.dat'.

The latest crash log was almost a month ago. I assume that since it can't access the data (or run the tmp file whatever that is) it restarts and tries again thus creating the endless loop. So does that mean I need to delete the Local.dat and the Gw2-64.tmp files then run the launcher so it re-installs/downloads the files? Or do I do something else? By the way thank you for directing me to the log :)

I get to the loading screen after selecting a character and game crashes instantly and restarts the launcher. I log in again and its a repeating loop of clicking on any of my characters and crashing on the loading screen. ever since the first patch for loading Path of the Fire I've been getting either complete white screens or constant game crashes. No, it's not my video card I don't have trouble with any other massive game I play online. right now GW2 is unplayable after the last patch. It's a good thing I've already beaten the path of fire or id be a bit madder.

@DeadlyDohnut.7052 said:I get to the loading screen after selecting a character and game crashes instantly and restarts the launcher. I log in again and its a repeating loop of clicking on any of my characters and crashing on the loading screen. ever since the first patch for loading Path of the Fire I've been getting either complete white screens or constant game crashes. No, it's not my video card I don't have trouble with any other massive game I play online. right now GW2 is unplayable after the last patch. It's a good thing I've already beaten the path of fire or id be a bit madder.

Last patch might be the issue, I remember going to bed just before new build came out. And today cant even load a game.

@DeadlyDohnut.7052 said:I get to the loading screen after selecting a character and game crashes instantly and restarts the launcher. I log in again and its a repeating loop of clicking on any of my characters and crashing on the loading screen. ever since the first patch for loading Path of the Fire I've been getting either complete white screens or constant game crashes. No, it's not my video card I don't have trouble with any other massive game I play online. right now GW2 is unplayable after the last patch. It's a good thing I've already beaten the path of fire or id be a bit madder.

This has also been happening to me since yesterday.

Happened to me, too... ran a client repair (https://help.guildwars2.com/hc/en-us/articles/201863008-Repairing-the-Game-Client -- have patience takes a LONG time to run). Then I restarted the client and it patched a little and now I can login without game crashing.

Of course it could be that the patching had nothing to do with my running a client repair, and Anet simply released a patch to deal with this right now ;-)

Edit: According to twitter, Anet patched. Restart client and you should be good to go.

• 1 year later...

I've started having this issue. I can't even open the GW2 repairer, because it does the same thing. The launcher pops up, and closes, and pops up and closes repeatedly. The only way I can get it to stop, is to cancel it with the task manager. Has anyone found a fix? I'm hoping to not have to uninstall and reinstall.