Mounts unhealthy for core player experience ?

Hi,

I played the free core game for quiet a while until I recently decided to buy HoT and PoF - since I knew I like the game. However - before buying PoF I already noticed that players with mounts have a huge advantage over F2P players that is way beyond the previous limitations and way more noticable. One could argue that free players should take it as is since they play for free. However I have a feeling that this way too noticable disadvantage will discourage players trying the game from actually upgrading to the full version because they are punished and discouraged before being able to find out how big and nice GW2 actually is.

Personally I suppose the best solution to this problem would be to have a basic mount ( slightly slower than the other mounts and with no special abilities ) available even to core players. This might also solve the no mounts in WvW problem ( unless the reasons for this are technical issues ).

Often I fail to correctly convey my point - so please be aware that my intention is not to criticize but rather to prevent GW2's playersbase to drop since we all have a more enjoyable game experience with a big enough playerbase.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The free to play player base are not at a disadvantage because there is no area in core Tyria that can't be reached without a mount. Mounts are a mechanic in PoF due to the structure of the new maps, and needing mounts to transverse the landscape and reach these areas. We've been playing GW2 for years without mounts; there is nothing mounts provide that is an advantage over anything in core Tyria. It just gives players better quality of life of not having to walk everywhere. The F2P version is more of a trial to try out the game with an indefinite time limit. I don't think anyone is meant to play GW2 for free without upgrading at some point.

There's no solution needed because what you perceive as a problem is just normal capitalism and market forces. In fact, if you look around you'll see it's such an effective methodology it's in widespread use. Look on your app/play store - there are countless games which can be played for free but offer additional perks.

You can speculate whether F2P players are discouraged by seeing paid players riding mounts but neither you nor I have the data to determine if there's any basis to this. Anet has the data, and the motivation to get it right and they don't seem to think it's a problem.

I remember when I had no expansion and I was looking for a way to reach a Vista and saw someone glide to it, used it, and then glided away.I just went "I wish I had one."NOW I DO!

Also this topic been done like 3 times before (I say 3 times as there were separate ones like this).One about the mounts unfair to Free players, one about they should make one for the core game for free players to use, and I will assume the disadvantage you mean is the "MOUNTS TOO OP IN CORE TYRIA!" topic situation.

Maybe they can add mount rental to core Tyria, 50s for 3 hours.

Basic mount, no special abilities, and the same speed as the springer mount. Basically, to make it easy, just use the springer mount with disabled jump ability, and cannonball.

Not saying they should waste time with that, but I kind of see where OP is coming from.

With everyone zooming around on mounts, it would be difficult for people without mounts to keep up. No, waypoints aren't enough, with mounts like the springer you can literally jump over walls/"mountains" that you use to have to run around, greatly reducing the time it takes to get some places.

Stuff in Core Tyria is easier with a mount (I've started doing world completion on another character recently), but all the stuff is still doable. Getting to a high up vista is still possible with very little suffering, just not as time efficient.

And I'd like to agree with the main complaint about this, but those people could just.... buy PoF.... if it's too much, just save or something. It's not like being annoyed that someone has a pre-order item that isn't obtainable in the game or anything. It's a problem that those players can solve by buying PoF.

You can make an argument for both.

Personally, Mounts have been added rather carefully without impacting the game too much. Sure they make a few POI and vistas easier to get to but people teleport to friends all the time for hard ones. One of the main complaints was that you can skip too much of the maps and events and yes you can do that, But in PVE there's really nothing affected by doing that. The players that decide to kill and explore normally get more exp and the ones looking for speed skip everything.

Mounts need to stay out of WvW as there needs to be punishment for wiping in keep defense or offense. We already have the EWP which I used several times to turn the tide of battle and had it used against me to case a keep cap failure. Also in favor a removing that and making scouting relevant again as well as players that do nothing but contest keeps. Adding faster ways to getting back in the fight just adds to stalemated fights.

I’m leaning towards nonexpansion/f2p being able to buy from the gemstore both a basic mount (PvE only) and basic glider where the basic mount is only at 33% speed and the basic glider has only half the glide distance of a regular first level glider. For one thing this will allow ANet to sell glider and backpack/glider combos in the gem store to more people. They can also sell the basic 33% speed boost mount in the gemstore to these people. If they want to upgrade to a regular glider or mount they’ll need to buy the expansion.

It's an added bonus to go faster in maps, sure, but most players who have mounts, myself included, have completed 100% core map completion with at least one character. Heck, I did it when there were no mounts, no gliders and at a time when map completion included the Mists. Suggestion: get yourself PoF and start ridin'. :)

@Kheldorn.5123 said:This is a b2p game. If free demo player wants cool stuff, he should pay for the game just like I did.

Agreed. Besides, with no monthly fees where you can play as much as you want, the decision to purchase the game is a very easy one.

Core Tyria was designed without mounts in mind. They're not disadvantaged at all. It's not like they're competing with other players, in fact the game was clearly designed was made to eliminate competition with other players for resources in open world PvE.

If the areas were redesigned to PoF area size to account for that, then there would be a point. But it's pretty much exactly the same game as it was before mounts were even introduced.

Or, and hear me out here:

Free to play trial players who enjoy the game decide to buy PoF.

That's what trials are for: to get people to buy the product. Why would you want to implement things which prevent people from buying a product? I would understand counter arguments if PoF were 50-60 bucks or more, but at 30 bucks it's not to much to ask from a free to play player to invest in a game they most likely have already plaed for multiple hours for free.

I actually don't care that people can get to stuff easier. My issue, is that they are not down levelled enough and they completely obliterate enemies in low level maps.This is makes it harder to tag enemies if you are playing a new character.

This is definitely some thing that needs fixing

Mounts definitely provide some advantages in the base game, in certain situations. For example the other day I was in Beetletun on a low level character who hadn't explored much of Queensdale. I saw in map chat that the Shadow Behemoth was starting and I was able to jump on my raptor and run all the way down there in time for the first round of portals. Without the raptor I would have gotten there about 1/2 way through, or more likely decided it's not worth it.

Likewise gliders make some things much easier. I can think of at least 1 vista where you can skip the entire intended path (which is somewhat hidden) by gliding,

But there is absolutely nothing in the base game that requires gliders or mounts, and in some cases I think you get a better experience not using them. That vista for example - you can get there faster by gliding but then you'll never discover the little hidden cave which leads to it, or figure out a way through it (aka you skip some of the content) and if it's your first time playing the game skipping things like that can be a serious detriment because then you're not learning how Anet intended the game to be navigated and how to find your way around when shortcuts aren't available.

You can play all the core tyria content and level to 80 for free if i'm not mistaken. You can't get masteries and mounts without the expansion, but if you're playing the game like we all used to when there were no expansions, then you don't need neither masteries nor mounts to enjoy the game from start to 80 because none of the content in core tyria was built around either. You can walk everywhere, and indeed, that's how people used to do it. We didn't have boosts, gliders or mounts, and we did 100% world completion.

Mounts and gliders are only necesarry in their respective expansions, and are just a neat thing to have in core tyria maps.

@Lambent.6375 said:

greatly reducing the time it takes to get some places.

THIS. Why do core players care about taking 30s more to go to a place? Theyre basically punishing themselves. If you want to be competitive in this game, as in "saving those 30s", then you should think about buying the expac.

You can go everywhere as before, nothing has changed for core players. Theres no statswise advantage of owning a mount. But as said, if you care about timing and max everything, you should buy an expac because the elite specs are for maxing out the usage too.

You cant tell everyone to walk only because you dont have a car.

@Taygus.4571 said:I actually don't care that people can get to stuff easier. My issue, is that they are not down levelled enough and they completely obliterate enemies in low level maps.This is makes it harder to tag enemies if you are playing a new character.

This is definitely some thing that needs fixing

Because people who did this with ranged attacks didn't do this from the very damn beginning before mounts.Solution is wait for those people to finish whatever they're doing and then go about your business after they dash away on a raptor.

I guess you should nerf longbows too, and thief pistols, and many other things that were pulled, knocked, killed, or obliterated before I could get a few steps towards them.One of the longest renown hearts I had to do at a low level is in Caledon Forest where you have to kill some of those Nightmare Courts that's coming to attack the small village.Anyone with range would just kill everything, which would leave me sitting there waiting until they were done.

I'm not pissed because I got it done.

Anet didn't forget about core tyria maps when they made mounts. They're pretty balanced in core maps too, the only real benefits they have there is movement speed and you can "cheat" your way to some vistas with the rabbit or something, but you can also do the vistas the proper way, tere's nothing in core tyria that you need a mount for.