Mounts unhealthy for core player experience ?

@ThePlayMaker.1058 said:Core player experience? You mean F2P players, aka free demo players? Listen, a business can't survive on just love and happiness from its playerbase, it needs money to survive. In a game where you pay no subscription fee, the least you can do is pull out $30 for an expac every 2 years. It's absolutely nothing. People spend more than that on parties, dinners, etc each month/week! $30 across two years = $0.04 a day. The only way Anet survives as a company is with expac sales and gem purchases from its large playerbase.

What about people who litetally only bought the core game. They are not f2p.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Cristalyan.5728 said:

@Cyninja.2954 said:

Mounts are not pay to win. They are part of the game which is
buy to play
. This has nothing to do with the free
TRIAL
people can chose to try out.

Free to play
TRIAL
(best repeat this as often as needed until it sinks in: trial trial trial) players have the ability to experience the game as it was as vanilla version. Expansions obviously enhance the game experience. By your definition every single expansion for other MMOs is pay to win. The only difference is in other MMOs you get an increased level cap and have to regear. Here since the level cap stays the same and you can even get the same gear in the core game (quality wise, some stat combinations are locked to expansions) suddenly an expansion is pay to win. Hilarious.

The entitlement in some people is strong, very strong.

Well, maybe you are new in this game so you discovered the core game as a f2p game. But, if you don't know, in the beginning the core game was not
f2p
. It was a
buy to play
. And a major selling point was that no annoying things from other games will pollute it - one of that "bad" things was the "pay to win" aspect.Now, if what you say is true, I mean: "Mounts are not pay to win. They are part of the game which is
buy to play
TRIAL
people can chose to try out.", and taking into account the fact that lot of players bought the core game (more than 11 millions according to ANet) - that means for them the core is
buy to play
- it seems that ANet gave them all some mounts. Or is not so? HM?

It seems your statement is a little bit inaccurate. The correct statement may be: "Mounts are not pay to win. They
belong to a
part of the game which is
buy to play
". Well, this is what OP said - the mounts have no place in Tyria. They belong to another part of the game.

And about your
free to play TRIAL
obsession: I have nothing against the mounts in the expansion - this is what you bought. But in Tyria ... this damages the game experience for all the players who
bought
the vanilla GW2.

@AdFinitum.1976 said:

My concern is not the disadvantages F2P have ( I played with that for quiet a while and it was enjoyable - which is not neccessarily the case anymore ) - my concern is that they won't join our precious world but instead abandon it.

The game won't sell if F2P testers abandon it. And mounts passing by would have tipped me off during my testing phase if I hadn't started playing way before.

Exactly this. I'm worried about this also.But it seems that the others are not. They
bought
the expansion to have an
advantage
over the others (but this is not pay to win). To keep this advantage they don't care about the future. Even if this is the future of the game they play.

This.Again. Everyone assumes anyone playing core is on free account. Personally, if I could, I would go back to core only. I debated looking for an old physical copy of gw2 for sale.

@Omar Aschi Popp.7496 said:

@ThePlayMaker.1058 said:Core player experience? You mean F2P players, aka free demo players? Listen, a business can't survive on just love and happiness from its playerbase, it needs money to survive. In a game where you pay no subscription fee, the least you can do is pull out $30 for an expac every 2 years. It's absolutely nothing. People spend more than that on parties, dinners, etc each month/week! $30 across two years = $0.04 a day. The only way Anet survives as a company is with expac sales and gem purchases from its large playerbase.

Excelsior.They are pay2play actually, a different thing. Also, since you get the core game with HoT, basically a great bundle deal, which is available since 2 years, I think they are paid off already with a lot of gametime and should consider either leaving or spending a few bucks on it. If they bought the actual core game, they have access to the game for over 2.5years now, up to 5 years (!). Do you think players being here for 2.5 - 5 years stay in the freebie zone that long if they find the time and money worthwile spend?

@Veprovina.4876 said:I'm going to assume you're a f2p player. Correct me if i'm wrong, this is just an assumption based on your reactions.

Unless they changed something, F2P players have the forums in read-only mode. I could be mistaken and this policy may have changed since the F2P announcement at Pax South (HOT announcement)

Theres no race to complete maps in Tyria, so theres no sense in talking about disvantage here.

I wrote a long time ago that the feeling that a novice player has in GW2 is that the game is about maps. The way the UI is presented full of views, POIs and animations when you get anywhere passes the impression of the game is a kind of Zelda or Metroid that you progress as you expand the maps.

Apparently Anet rediscovered its strength.

It seems that Anet rediscovered its strength and decided to bring this theme back with the PoF.

Basically if the newbie is trying to complete everything quickly, he will be tempted to buy expansion to buy mounts.

However, anyone who is at this stage of exploring maps hardly cares about competition and as the game does not force you to schedule or time, you just stipulate how many maps you want to complete per day.

@Zedek.8932 said:

Excelsior.They are pay2play actually, a different thing. Also, since you get the core game with HoT, basically a great bundle deal, which is available since 2 years, I think they are paid off already with a lot of gametime and should consider either leaving or spending a few bucks on it. If they bought the actual core game, they have access to the game for over 2.5years now, up to 5 years (!). Do you think players being here for 2.5 - 5 years stay in the freebie zone that long if they find the time and money worthwile spend?

If I knew then what I know now, yes. Absolutely I would stay in core.

@Cristalyan.5728 said:

@Cyninja.2954 said:

buy to play
TRIAL

Free to play
TRIAL
(best repeat this as often as needed until it sinks in: trial trial trial) players have the ability to experience the game as it was as vanilla version. Expansions obviously enhance the game experience. By your definition every single expansion for other MMOs is pay to win. The only difference is in other MMOs you get an increased level cap and have to regear. Here since the level cap stays the same and you can even get the same gear in the core game (quality wise, some stat combinations are locked to expansions) suddenly an expansion is pay to win. Hilarious.

Well, maybe you are new in this game so you discovered the core game as a f2p game. But, if you don't know, in the beginning the core game was not
f2p
. It was a
buy to play
. And a major selling point was that no annoying things from other games will pollute it - one of that "bad" things was the "pay to win" aspect.Now, if what you say is true, I mean: "Mounts are not pay to win. They are part of the game which is
buy to play
TRIAL
people can chose to try out.", and taking into account the fact that lot of players bought the core game (more than 11 millions according to ANet) - that means for them the core is
buy to play

It seems your statement is a little bit inaccurate. The correct statement may be: "Mounts are not pay to win. They
belong to a
buy to play
". Well, this is what OP said - the mounts have no place in Tyria. They belong to another part of the game.

And about your
free to play TRIAL
obsession: I have nothing against the mounts in the expansion - this is what you bought. But in Tyria ... this damages the game experience for all the players who
bought
the vanilla GW2.

@AdFinitum.1976 said:

My concern is not the disadvantages F2P have ( I played with that for quiet a while and it was enjoyable - which is not neccessarily the case anymore ) - my concern is that they won't join our precious world but instead abandon it.

The game won't sell if F2P testers abandon it. And mounts passing by would have tipped me off during my testing phase if I hadn't started playing way before.

Exactly this. I'm worried about this also.But it seems that the others are not. They
bought
the expansion to have an
advantage
over the others (but this is not pay to win). To keep this advantage they don't care about the future. Even if this is the future of the game they play.

This.Again. Everyone assumes anyone playing core is on free account. Personally, if I could, I would go back to core only. I debated looking for an old physical copy of gw2 for sale.

As I had mentioned before. Yes it is unfortunate that players who bought the game over 5 years ago are not able to use mounts. Then again, that's not something you paid for back then. You've gotten your moneys worth many times over.

If you can't afford to invest the tiny amount of money GW2 requires, you might want to move away from MMOs entirely.

I doubt that the side saying it's unfair to f2p players that they don't get gliders and/or mounts is going to win. ANet keeps metrics on all kinds of things, and I'm damned sure they keep statistics on the conversion rate of f2p players to paying customers of the expacs. They made the decision most likely because the benefits of showing f2p players "cool" gliders and mounts results in more f2p players buying their product outweighs the number of f2p players who quit. The ones who don't buy the expac after seeing these new incentives most likely wouldn't buy the game anyways.

A solution to the issue however if it IS such a big problem would be to devote a few server instances per core Tyria map to f2p accounts and shunt all the f2p players into those maps, and direct all the other players into normal maps with gliders and mount enabled. There, everyone arguing can now be happy. Let the complaints about not forcing all players to be in the same maps begin.

@Lonami.2987 said:I think the core experience should have 1 mount for everyone, a dolyak or something like that.

It would be good to let players experience mounts, and then they would buy PoF to get better ones.

Or get this, they can experience not having a mount which is the same value as having a gimpy one (read none) and if they want the shiny toys they can buy the box that contains them.

@Cyninja.2954 said:

@Cristalyan.5728 said:

@Cyninja.2954 said:

buy to play
TRIAL

Free to play
TRIAL

f2p
. It was a
buy to play
buy to play
TRIAL
buy to play

belong to a
buy to play

And about your
free to play TRIAL
bought
the vanilla GW2.

@AdFinitum.1976 said:

bought
the expansion to have an
advantage

As I had mentioned before. Yes it is unfortunate that players who bought the game over 5 years ago are not able to use mounts. Then again, that's not something you paid for back then. You've gotten your moneys worth many times over.

If you can't afford to invest the tiny amount of money GW2 requires, you might want to move away from MMOs entirely.

I never said I disagree with you.

@Cyninja.2954 said:

@Cristalyan.5728 said:

@Cyninja.2954 said:

buy to play
TRIAL

Free to play
TRIAL

f2p
. It was a
buy to play
buy to play
TRIAL
buy to play

belong to a
buy to play

And about your
free to play TRIAL
bought
the vanilla GW2.

@AdFinitum.1976 said:

bought
the expansion to have an
advantage

I never said I disagree with you.

My bad, guess I was a bit defensive there.

Let's wait and see. I doubt any of these issues are on arenanets radar anyway.

No it doesn't mean F2p .. many players still only own the original core game... you know that they bought but not everyone has the luxory of being able to afford the expacs or they require parents to afford it for them... there are all kinds of reasons why some players are forced to stay disadvantaged by this.Yes F2p trial players have no argument in my opinion that's a choice thing but it could impact their decision to become B2P however I do not believe this is the target audience this thread is aiming at.

@Tasida.4085 said:If they leave then good riddance. The turnover rate for mmo's is always high...for every person who left another takes their place. And that newcomer may like the game enough to invest. No real loss if F2P leave.

Interesting facts you put out there... you of course have proof to back that claim up or its just pie in the sky. If that was true MMO''s numers would never rise or fall... and let's be honest after month 1.. pretty much every MMO numbers slide and GW2 is no different... why do you think the F2P trials get implemented

Whenever there's a Daily Event Completer in level 1-15 zones, I refuse to use my mount(s) for the sake of the core players. Mounts attack power are just too strong in low level areas. Heck, with a level 11 character, I used the Raptor's Tail Strike in Plains of Ashford today, and still one-shotted a group of mobs.

There, you KNOW there's a problem.

I like @Lambent.6375's idea of a mount rental for people who haven't gotten to PoF yet.

@Bloodstealer.5978 said:

@Tasida.4085 said:If they leave then good riddance. The turnover rate for mmo's is always high...for every person who left another takes their place. And that newcomer may like the game enough to invest. No real loss if F2P leave.

Interesting facts you put out there... you of course have proof to back that claim up or its just pie in the sky. If that was true MMO''s numers would never rise or fall... and let's be honest after month 1.. pretty much every MMO numbers slide and GW2 is no different... why do you think the F2P trials get implemented

Actually play enough different mmo's through the years and you see exactly what I mentioned. Games stay alive because of turnover rates lol. I've quit this game numerous times since 2012 and seems to be thriving quite well each time I come back. Same for many of the others I play between breaks (all mmos). Of course newer, younger players won't see the truth of turnover rates. Some things just take time to learn like wisdom ;) No one cares who quits and who doesn't. So F2P want to quit then again good riddance. They want the toys they need to buy the xpacs etc. And those who are advocates for F2P getting free stuff, why not buy THEM the game/xpac if you're so interested? Bet there won't be any advocates then lol

All ant had to do was ensure that mounts were properly scaled in accordance with core maps but here I think it was rushed through to appease the crowd .I would be highly suprised if they just didn't see the impact it could have.The core game is the starting point and should be held sacred what comes after is how they game experience expands. If they want it to bleed back into the core then either the core game should now have some love or better controls and managemental of what is essentially a gigantic power creep patched in.On a positive ... the mounts are for me some of the best I've seen in an mmo and there animations are top draw.

@TexZero.7910 said:

@Veprovina.4876 said:I'm going to assume you're a f2p player. Correct me if i'm wrong, this is just an assumption based on your reactions.

Unless they changed something, F2P players have the forums in read-only mode. I could be mistaken and this policy may have changed since the F2P announcement at Pax South (HOT announcement)

I see, i didn't know that. Well, based on what you said then, everyone here who's complaining about pay2win bought the game when it launched. Just like everyone else who also bought the expansions. So why are people who play the game for free or bought only the core game entitled to the same things that people who also bought expansions (things that expand on the core content) have? I payed about 50€ for the game at launch, and another 50€ for both expansions. I still have the box. So i payed 100€ for Guild Wars 2 so far. And i have access to more stuff than the people who paid nothing for the game. SHOCKER!

I recently started playing again, and when i saw that i like the game again, that i'm having fun, i decided to buy HoT and PoF expansions. And i did. I didn't whine on the forums that i'm entitled to expansion packs content because i bought the game when it came out. I already had my benefits over the f2p players with the bought core game, expansions are just that, expansions.

And honestly, in the time since i went back to the game, til i bought the expansions, i never felt like it was necesarry for me to buy expansions in order to enjoy the game. I started doing fractals with core mesmer and lo and behold, i found parties, no one kicked me out because chrono was meta, and i still had fun with people.

I bought the expansions because i wanted to experience that content, not because i needed to catch up with someone who has an advantage over me. No one has an advantage with the expansions.

The most interesting thing i never see anyone complain about is elite specializations. Core players can't be elite specs, yet no one complains that they're entitled to elite specs in the game cause elite specs have an advantage over core professions. But elites aren't as visible as mounts, so no one really cares, but when they see a raptor jumping around in core tyria it's suddenly TRIGGERED!!!!!1!!!1!!!! SHINY!!!!1!!11 I'M ENTITLED TO IT!!!!1!!11 threads all over the forums.

@Tasida.4085 said:

@Bloodstealer.5978 said:

Actually play enough different mmo's through the years and you see exactly what I mentioned. Games stay alive because of turnover rates lol. I've quit this game numerous times since 2012 and seems to be thriving quite well each time I come back. Same for many of the others I play between breaks (all mmos). Of course newer, younger players won't see the truth of turnover rates. Some things just take time to learn like wisdom ;) No one cares who quits and who doesn't. So F2P want to quit then again good riddance. They want the toys they need to buy the xpacs etc. And those who are advocates for F2P getting free stuff, why not buy THEM the game/xpac if you're so interested? Bet there won't be any advocates then lol

Pretty sure I've played more than enough MMO's over the last 15+ years to know why a F2P gamemode is installed.. its to try and band aid flagging numbers and while some do take up the cause and switch over.. I would hazard a guess that it doesn't come close to filling the holes left by frustrated, bored, restless or plain old burned out players.GW1 and similarly with GW2 ANET promoted a different way of affordable gaming in its B2P model, which for many years I held in very high regards as it was new, brave and showed a willingness to back the quality of their people and product and rightly so.GW2 encompassed all of the same things but no one can argue it lost its way big time a few years back and numbers were dropping due to many factors not all game related but global pressures play a large part in it.Why do you think megaserver was brought in.. it squeezed players off empty maps into a much busier one for all methodology.. great disguise but not a fix for ailing numbers but with F2P added a little later it definitely helps keep the game feeling busy. Add in the hard push on gemstore and I genuinely feel its turned a corner.That said it still doesn't mean that the game is growing or even filling all the holes left by leavers, but then again the beauty of the GW2 model is that you can drop off the radar for a whiles and then come back without too much of a detriment hopefully.

As I said before though I don't feel that the F2P trial players have an argument in this thread, its the core game players that have supported the game that are left disadvantage to a degree with each xpac. Yes they have the option to also upgrade but for reasons specific to them they can't or haven't and this imo should of been realised and catered for when implementing things like mounts... I love them and will continue to use them, but that doesn't mean it sits well with all. Who knows though, maybe a gemstore purchase for a scaled down mount will pop up and in doing so appease everyone whilst dropping a few more coins in the games coffers to spend on another rainy day.

@TheSlothArmada.6709 said:This isnt' just an issue for F2P players, it's an issue for those who just haven't bought PoF yet.Of course I'll buy it once they fix the mac client, but my experience without having a mount is terrible,especially when I'm trying to follow a train or get to an event.

Following trains is hell!Champs are down to less then a 1/4 health by the time I catch up...if not dead already.

They've made mounts necessary ....

@Bloodstealer.5978 said:

@Tasida.4085 said:

@Bloodstealer.5978 said:

Pretty sure I've played more than enough MMO's over the last 15+ years to know why a F2P gamemode is installed.. its to try and band aid flagging numbers and while some do take up the cause and switch over.. I would hazard a guess that it doesn't come close to filling the holes left by frustrated, bored, restless or plain old burned out players.GW1 and similarly with GW2 ANET promoted a different way of affordable gaming in its B2P model, which for many years I held in very high regards as it was new, brave and showed a willingness to back the quality of their people and product and rightly so.GW2 encompassed all of the same things but no one can argue it lost its way big time a few years back and numbers were dropping due to many factors not all game related but global pressures play a large part in it.Why do you think megaserver was brought in.. it squeezed players off empty maps into a much busier one for all methodology.. great disguise but not a fix for ailing numbers but with F2P added a little later it definitely helps keep the game feeling busy. Add in the hard push on gemstore and I genuinely feel its turned a corner.That said it still doesn't mean that the game is growing or even filling all the holes left by leavers, but then again the beauty of the GW2 model is that you can drop off the radar for a whiles and then come back without too much of a detriment hopefully.

As I said before though I don't feel that the F2P trial players have an argument in this thread, its the core game players that have supported the game that are left disadvantage to a degree with each xpac. Yes they have the option to also upgrade but for reasons specific to them they can't or haven't and this imo should of been realised and catered for when implementing things like mounts... I love them and will continue to use them, but that doesn't mean it sits well with all. Who knows though, maybe a gemstore purchase for a scaled down mount will pop up and in doing so appease everyone whilst dropping a few more coins in the games coffers to spend on another rainy day.

Wow why not go back and actually read what I said. Slowly this time. I was pointing out turnover rates are always high in mmo's. It wasn't about why F2P is brought in but why it doesn't matter if F2p players stay or go. LOL. And advocates for F2P getting mounts etc is daft. If you advocate them getting everything paying customers do then by all means buy each 1 the game n xpacs out of your own pocket (advocates). Then they can have all the toys as well :)

@Tasida.4085 said:Wow why not go back and actually read what I said. Slowly this time. I was pointing out turnover rates are always high in mmo's. It wasn't about why F2P is brought in but why it doesn't matter if F2p players stay or go. LOL. And advocates for F2P getting mounts etc is daft. If you advocate them getting everything paying customers do then by all means buy each 1 the game n xpacs out of your own pocket (advocates). Then they can have all the toys as well :)

Compared to the rest of the scene options, GW2 is the most affordable, and even more so in terms of content.

The guy who introduced me to GW2 only stayed one week, I stayed 3 years. He is the parasitic type that looks for games with difficult farms, so he sells gold, he saw that he had no place for him in GW2.

@Coulter.2315 said:Mounts in Core Tyria are a massive nudge for F2P to buy PoF, this is a good thing. You cannot expect a company, which needs to employ people to make new content for you and me, to survive on the good feelings F2P players get.

This is pretty much spot on.

Objectively speaking, if I were a Free/core player again trudging around tyria, and I saw someone go whizzing by on a raptor or griffon, or fly through the air on bat wings,my first two questions would be "what is that?" and "how can I get one?"

The people that buy the expansions each acquire a qol mechanic that also advertises the worth of at least the basic expansions to the players that may be considering buying them.

I understand your concerns, OP. It is understandable that some players would like more free, but given the quality of GW2, there needs to be some motivation for at least some of us to support the game financially, even if it is depressing to free players to get outrun by expansion owners every so often in open world.