@Supercluster.7159. It's a Samsung T5 250 gb.
You have to set up the Samsung first for Mac but there is a program on it that does that for you.

You then just move the 64 bit app from your Applications folder to the SSD. I have to admit, I am sure I messed up here because I ended up downloading the entire game again which took hours. I think I did copy instead of move. Maybe someone with more smarts can advise you on this :)

• Replies 980
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all!Since there could be a potential solution mentioned here about moving the GW2 app to an external SSD drive might help improve Mac 64-bit client gameplay, I want to ask all well-knowledged Mac players, or even our ANet devs, if they could explain 'in detai' of which GW2 files, especially the entire game data files, are stored 'where' in the Mac system.And also, which GW2 files needs to be moved and how, if needed. In short, how does one play GW2 64-bit entirely from an external SSD drive?BTW, I do have both the 32-bit wrapper client which is 22.07 GB in size (HUGE!), and the 64-bit native client which is 128.4 MB only. I assume the first-installed 32-bit client stores all the large game data files, but not totally sure if this would needed to be moved or not. Maybe the 64-bit app automatically looks for the game data files within the 32-bit app? I also wonder if there is a way to specify from where the 64-bit app to look for such game data files. Maybe if none, if will download everything freshly to the SSD?I have an extra SSD which I can hook up externally with USB 3.0, and thinking of testing out the differences in performance with my not-so-optimal Mac system.Any insight and useful idea would be appreciated.Thanks!

Okay, self-reply.The 32-bit wrapper client is huge because it includes the entire 'Cider' Win wrapper system included. Finder says the GW2 32-bit app is 22.07 GB, but if I peek into the app content, the 'transgaming' folder alone says 37.09 GB(!), larger than the app itself, amazingly. So, the basic game data seems NOT to be stored inside the game app, I guess.I will just copy the GW2 apps, both 32-bit & 64-bit to my external SSD, 'delete' the originals on my internal SSD, and see what happens with gameplay in the 'moved' 64-bit app.

When the 32-bit client is installed in the default location, the 64-bit client will attempt to reuse the dat (provided it can find it). Otherwise the 64-bit client will make its own dat. By default both clients store their dat in the app itself, as this is the most portable. There are various command-line/settings options which can alter where each client will store the dat. The apps themselves can generally be moved wherever you wish. There is some runtime and other internal stores kept within your user Library. I don't recommend moving those files unless you are a more advanced user.

We are investigating High Sierra issues. This may take a while though, so we appreciate your patience here.

@Jon Olson.8439 said:When the 32-bit client is installed in the default location, the 64-bit client will attempt to reuse the dat (provided it can find it). Otherwise the 64-bit client will make its own dat. By default both clients store their dat in the app itself, as this is the most portable. There are various command-line/settings options which can alter where each client will store the dat. The apps themselves can generally be moved wherever you wish. There is some runtime and other internal stores kept within your user Library. I don't recommend moving those files unless you are a more advanced user.

Thanks Jon for the clarification! Really appreciate it, and all of you on the GW2 Mac team have done so far. Please keep up the great work. You are getting there.

Just 'moved' both apps to my external SSD, and will start playing with it AFTER 17:00... ;)We'll see...

Update-ing...Just started up Gw2 64-bit app from my external drive, in hopes to play immediately. Not...It just started downloading a whole bunch of stuff, like over 450,000(!) files... I wish there is a better way to 'move' the app, so we don't need to re-download a TON of things again... Any ideas how to do this? I am also wondering where all this stuff was stored for the app at the original 'Application" folder. Is it still left there?

Waiting, and waiting, and waiting...

@DrMORO.4627 said:Update-ing...Just started up Gw2 64-bit app from my external drive, in hopes to play immediately. Not...It just started downloading a whole bunch of stuff, like over 450,000(!) files... I wish there is a better way to 'move' the app, so we don't need to re-download a TON of things again... Any ideas how to do this? I am also wondering where all this stuff was stored for the app at the original 'Application" folder. Is it still left there?

Waiting, and waiting, and waiting...

You can locate the dat in the 32-bit client, moving it into the 64-bit client's dat location. It requires a bit of surgery with the internals, but shouldn't prove too difficult to figure out.

Thanks Jon!After stopping the long download, and looking into the packages of each GW2 apps,copied 32-bit client's Gw2.dat file (37 GB !) from herefile:///Volumes/DrMORO%20240GB%20SSD/Guild%20Wars%202%2032-bit%20wrapped.app/Contents/Resources/transgaming/c_drive/GW2/Gw2.datto replace 64-bit client's Gw2.dat file herefile:///Volumes/DrMORO%20240GB%20SSD/Guild%20Wars%202%2064-bit%20native.app/Contents/Resources/Gw2.dat37 GB did take a little more than a few minutes to copy.The 64-bit app started up just as no new downloads were needed. Awesome!Time to test out the 64-bit app, 'moved' to an external SSD connected by USB 3.0, for a little bit.Maybe can update the results tomorrow.

Hi all,Just a little update.I have played GW2 64-bit off my external SDD just bit, and so far, it is playable on my system. I cannot say it has improved my performance, as I have not measured my fps in my original "Application" folder playing. (Dumb...).Yet, so far, no crashes yet. A good thing. It feels a bit better & faster, though.

One thing I did notice of my new setup is, my connection is external SSD --> SATA-to-USB 3.0 adaptor -->USB 3.0 cable --> OWC Thunderbolt Dock 2.0's USB 3.0 port --> OWC Thunderbolt Dock 2.0's Thunderbolt port --> Thunderbolt cable --> Mac. Obviously not the best route for performance...

I just ordered (off eBay) a Thunderbolt 2.0-to-eSATA & USB 3.0 adaptor plus a SATA-to-eSATA converter cable. This way, I can connect my external SSD --> SATA-to-eSATA converter cable --> Thunderbolt 2.0-to-eSATA & USB 3.0 adaptor --> OWC Thunderbolt Dock 2.0's Thunderbolt port --> Thunderbolt cable --> Mac. This should be much faster than what I have now, closer to the transfer limit with minimal bottlenecks. Also, the other advantage for this setup is, I can literally 'carry' my GW2 app almost entirely around in a portable external SSD, and play even at home on my MBP with Thunderbolt while still achieving the highest throughput I can have. No need to update app for each location, only need to do so once, to my external SSD's GW2 app.

Well, I hope. Products have not arrived just yet. I will run the "Blackmagic Disk Speed Test" I just downloaded from the Apple App store, and compare the throughput of my setup before and after my connection upgrade. We'll see...

Was on a bounty run on Vabbi yesterday and had really really bad graphic issues, can't see the champs (not only due to missing textures), my aoe circles seems to be tilted to the ground didn't even know where it was placed, shades of textures in wrong places, my eyes were hurting. After next port to a wp it was ok again.Lowest graphic settings with native rendering on an iMac late 2009

@Falseprophet.1502 said:Any idea what causes this graphic splitting? As you can see in the bottom right hand side of this screenshot you can see the stair case shadow on the otherwise flat terrain?https://imgur.com/a/akMKWThanks

This is a known issue, which I think is related to hovering or disapearing AOE fields. It basically fails to recalculate the outline of the terrain or something.

Updated today, Mac client crashed immediately after trying to go into a map. Restarted the client, it said it had to repair the data archive, so I let it do that and when it looked like it was finished GW2 crashed and brought up the bug report window, which I couldn't do anything with because it was beach balling as well. GW2 was sitting there consuming 68% of CPU until I killed it. Thankfully it seemed to be OK the next time I ran it... yikes.

The game still reads a ton off of the disc in a very short time frame. Also the map is still very annoying to use as it constantly freezes as u try to drag across it. Aside from that the client is feeling a bit better. But the zones still seem like there constantly reloading making the fps drop randomly on me alot.