AoE Mode — Guild Wars 2 Forums
Home WvW

AoE Mode

So after the expansion WvW has just been a storm or people spamming AoEs.
Defending from walls against anything other than a small group is pretty near impossible.
Ground combat is no longer engaging. It's the equivalent of everyone ground firing rocket launchers without self/friendly damage in a FPS.

Is anyone actually enjoying the AoE zerg storm?

Comments

  • Lunarlife.5128Lunarlife.5128 Member ✭✭✭

    @michaeltm.6247 said:
    So after the expansion WvW has just been a storm or people spamming AoEs.
    Defending from walls against anything other than a small group is pretty near impossible.
    Ground combat is no longer engaging. It's the equivalent of everyone ground firing rocket launchers without self/friendly damage in a FPS.

    Is anyone actually enjoying the AoE zerg storm?

    If you place AC's in the right spots (Where they won't get AoE'd down) does have impact. About 15 of us held our own against a 40-60 person blob for a while. Granted, it would be nice to be able to defend from the walls a bit more effectively.

  • Cerby.1069Cerby.1069 Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 11, 2017

    I like the idea of being able to bite chunks out of a zerg now. I think that's really great compared to before where in the generic case one force ends up winning with 0 casualties and the other has 100% FATALITIES (more or less). People die on both sides in this meta due to the sheer power of the bombs and how they just wreck downed state like never before.

    The fact the entire fight allows the condi aoers to have continuos aoe shield of death around themselves while they chomp....chunk after chunk....kinda kills the mood though. You should be able to counter after dodging hte 1 shot kill. Atm....its dodge the 1 shot killl one after the other. Only way to counter is use ur own 1 shot kills.....which i s kinda great on paper in my book....but 90% of the rest of the combat abilities dont do the same thing. If we made everything as powerful as the trailblazer/dire spam then I don't think there'd be a problem. Or at least it would be more inline with my definition of ideal.

    Condi aoe by definition should really just be a light yet widespread crowd control tactic and a way to weed out the improperly equipped zerglings, allowing you to focus the target caps of your heavy hitting abilities on the real enemy zerglings (kinda like agony does in fractals). When it does EVERYTHIGN bettter....kinda got a problem.> @Lunarlife.5128 said:

    @michaeltm.6247 said:
    So after the expansion WvW has just been a storm or people spamming AoEs.
    Defending from walls against anything other than a small group is pretty near impossible.
    Ground combat is no longer engaging. It's the equivalent of everyone ground firing rocket launchers without self/friendly damage in a FPS.

    Is anyone actually enjoying the AoE zerg storm?

    If you place AC's in the right spots (Where they won't get AoE'd down) does have impact. About 15 of us held our own against a 40-60 person blob for a while. Granted, it would be nice to be able to defend from the walls a bit more effectively.

    Can confirm, ac are still effective en masse when the zerg is caught in a choke and doesn't care to clear them. Its extremely situational though. Some groups are running sinister and viper I notice, those are the ones that really are vulnerable to this tactic. The larger tb/dire ones still have a stupid advantage even if they fight in the ac fire. Its a chance to win though.

  • @michaeltm.6247 said:
    So after the expansion WvW has just been a storm or people spamming AoEs.
    Defending from walls against anything other than a small group is pretty near impossible.
    Ground combat is no longer engaging. It's the equivalent of everyone ground firing rocket launchers without self/friendly damage in a FPS.

    Is anyone actually enjoying the AoE zerg storm?

    No, I'm not which is why I'm currently playing ESO and Eve Online for my MMO fixes atm. Until things change and the combat becomes fun again.

    I highly doubt ANet will bother making it fun again. Because only PvP and WvW combat is suffering atm from the balance issues.

  • SkyShroud.2865SkyShroud.2865 Member ✭✭✭✭

    WvW is always about AOE.
    HOT change that due to the high sustain available for HOT spec, remember we used to run hammers train and backline ele before hot?
    POF bought back the AOE dominance but is just too overboard since the AOE include boonstripping.

    Founder & Retired Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International PvX Guild
    Henge of Denravi
    https://discord.gg/P5dj7fd

  • Justine.6351Justine.6351 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Turk.5460 said:
    No, thats why I roam. But even in small scale/roaming, with things like scourges about, you can teleport into a fight, and without being targeted or even noticed by the enemy, you have 6 stacks of torment, 4 of bleeding, and 2 of poison on you ticking for 1/3 of your health a second. But y'know...condi can't burst or anything /s

    Yep,
    And if you do roam it's 1vX tryhards who then still contribute to fights with downed skills for another 15-30 seconds.

    Rule of thumb while roaming, expect 1v3 to be 1 bad bouncy troll glass cannon + 1 skillless random aoe condi facetanker + 1 clueless runaway only brave with numbers.

    Anet buff me :-(
    Make me good at game!

  • the real problem is how most aoe cant be placed without jumping up onto the ledge having to take the time to carefully jump onto the ledge you can be pulled from to start your cast times makes it easy for enemies to react and bomb you. if you could quickly run in drop your bombs then use your escape skills to get back to recover defending walls wouldnt be so siege reliant.

  • xDudisx.5914xDudisx.5914 Member ✭✭✭

    @SkyShroud.2865 said:
    WvW is always about AOE.
    HOT change that due to the high sustain available for HOT spec, remember we used to run hammers train and backline ele before hot?
    POF bought back the AOE dominance but is just too overboard since the AOE include boonstripping.

    Looking at this way, seems like the meta just got worse with time. Make WvW great again!

  • Seffen.2875Seffen.2875 Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 12, 2017

    I really like the WvW right now. (Though i know i am pretty alone with this opinion.)

    IMO:

    The new Problem is SKILLCAP. The new specs brought a lot of Boonstrip and a lot of Aoe and a lot of Condi.
    BUT ALSO a really huge amount of condi clear, Stun breaks, movement skills and so on.

    The Point is: The Counter skills are a lot harder to time and you Need excelling movement and understanding.
    Everyone is talking about how strong spellbreaker and scourge are. But imho the big winner of this expac is the firebrand. The Utility is so overwhelming if brought to the table in the right way. If you nerf conditions you also have to nerf firebrand, otherwise conditions will turn from op to useless since he can cleanse and block them so often and much.

    Also the renegade isn't even Close to beeing explored yet. Also a class full of condi hate.

    I am really not a super pro Player. But after some time i came to the conclusion that the only ones whining about condition beeing to strong are those not beeing able to Play their classes to the fullest or not having a frontline beeing able to do so.

    Overall this will lead to a broader gap between good and bad Servers. With good Servers becoming even better and worse getting stomped even harder.

  • Aeolus.3615Aeolus.3615 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Seffen.2875 .. that is description of a vertical class design,,, buy to keep competing and not a alternative...