Mounts unhealthy for core player experience ?

@PookieDaWombat.6209 said:OK, so another problem with the mounts being allowed into core tyria is currently the labyrinth. I was running around in there without using my mount and found that I couldn't get to a single door closing event in there before a bunch of people got there and shut it all while i was pulling aggro to get through the maze. Basically if you don't have a mount, don't even bother since the labyrinth events aren't meant for you. Seriously. There's no point. And before people try to say boo about this, please remember that F2P players are plentiful and there could be reasons why they are F2P for now. Having an event like this basically exclude them by virtue of them not having a mount to keep up will increase the chance of them never buying the game out of frustration. It gives the impression of pay to win. Furthermore some people probably still weren't sold on the idea of getting PoF and this will further alienate them. (And no that's not just conjecture as I know a few people personally that fall into this category.)

I'm just trying to figure out why Anet allowed mounts into the place at all. They serve no purpose in there and if they are keeping them out of core story steps they could have kept them out of the labyrinth and kept new players on the same field as vets that own PoF.

Should have got there earlier. i have to adapt to new content with PoF they'll have to learn to aswell.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Tatori.7938 said:I want to end on two points:1- I am NOT free to play. Do not give me "this is what free players should deal with" crap that I've seen posted throughout this thread. I own the base game, and have Heart of Thorns and was undecided on Path of Fire until I had read some reviews first.2- I am sure as hell not going to buy the expansion pack through force tactics. I remember only buying Heart of Thorns because I could no longer participate in PvP since my class was underpowered without the expansion pack, and everyone told me "Get it for the gliders". I refuse to buy a second expansion in a row for the gimmick of "Get it for the mounts". I don't think Firebrand looks better than Dragonhunter for my play-style, and from the reviews I have read, the new maps are great once, but not re-playable.

That is just how it is adapt to new content or move on. I've only seen 1 thread about it from the start of PoF and its this one only hand full even concerned even in this one anet listens to majority not minority you'll learn that over time.

Have fun as you can see they still support and continue buy to play business model what this means is they expect you to eventually buy the game. if they change things from what they are they go against themselves. That be like a christian that didn't believe in god. It even says in that article they expect you to buy the expansions. https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/play-for-free-today/

Let me qoute this: "Guild Wars 2 remains the same game it always has been. We’re making the core game experience free because we’re confident that anyone who loves Guild Wars 2 will buy Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns." I highly doubt they have changed how they feel for PoF content.

Would have supported the defense of mounts until they added a core event to Mad King tailored to people with mounts and throwing up a middle finger to anybody without them. You know what happens when you race on foot in the labyrinth? All the mounted players finish way before you can hope to reach the three minute timer after the first finish and you have a thousand mobs between you and the goal.

@GoZero.9708 said:Would have supported the defense of mounts until they added a core event to Mad King tailored to people with mounts and throwing up a middle finger to anybody without them. You know what happens when you race on foot in the labyrinth? All the mounted players finish way before you can hope to reach the three minute timer after the first finish and you have a thousand mobs between you and the goal.

It's to entice you and give you more reason to buy into the game. not telling you to F.O. it's your perspective and instinct playing into that decision.

@TEKnowledgy.1760 said:

@GoZero.9708 said:Would have supported the defense of mounts until they added a core event to Mad King tailored to people with mounts and throwing up a middle finger to anybody without them. You know what happens when you race on foot in the labyrinth? All the mounted players finish way before you can hope to reach the three minute timer after the first finish and you have a thousand mobs between you and the goal.

It's to entice you and give you more reason to buy into the game. not telling you to F.O. it's your perspective and instinct playing into that decision.

I have Path of Fire. It's just my observation for players without it. Every time during the events there's a few death icons far behind the mount train and I can't help but feel sympathy.

@GoZero.9708 said:

@TEKnowledgy.1760 said:

I have Path of Fire. It's just my observation for players without it. Every time during the events there's a few death icons far behind the mount train and I can't help but feel sympathy.

I understand the sympathy but like ya'll acting like $30 is alot lol. Really it isn't even if you are a kid with no job or can't work $30 isn't alot of money. This isn't like I said before 1920 or some great depression. Also just stating the facts the truth anet themselves state even backing with proof. hate me all day long but truth will always be the truth.

@TEKnowledgy.1760 said:

@GoZero.9708 said:

@TEKnowledgy.1760 said:

I understand the sympathy but like ya'll acting like $30 is alot lol. Really it isn't even if you are a kid with no job or can't work $30 isn't alot of money. This isn't like I said before 1920 or some great depression. Also just stating the facts the truth anet themselves state even backing with proof. hate me all day long but truth will always be the truth.

The truth is holiday events shouldn't feel like you're being punished for not buying the shiny new thing. They're there to be silly fun stuff. Core players are already keenly aware that they're missing something by not having PoF. They don't need further reminders during the Mad King or Wintersday events. I don't mind them using them to get a lead on events but that ONE event is unfairly based on access to mounts.

@GoZero.9708 said:

@TEKnowledgy.1760 said:

@GoZero.9708 said:

@TEKnowledgy.1760 said:

The truth is holiday events shouldn't feel like you're being punished for not buying the shiny new thing. They're there to be silly fun stuff. Core players are already keenly aware that they're missing something by not having PoF. They don't need further reminders during the Mad King or Wintersday events. I don't mind them using them to get a lead on events but that ONE event is unfairly based on access to mounts.

Hey i understand your concern but I'm not anet arguing with me not really getting you any where at all just sets you up for me to say more truths take it to support if ya concerned might get more attention that way ;)

Anet's game anet's rules i don't make em i just pointing them out.

@TEKnowledgy.1760 said:

@GoZero.9708 said:

@TEKnowledgy.1760 said:

@GoZero.9708 said:

@TEKnowledgy.1760 said:

Hey i understand your concern but I'm not anet arguing with me not really getting you any where at all just sets you up for me to say more truths take it to support if ya concerned might get more attention that way ;)

I'm not arguing with you. This is a forum of discussion and we're discussing.

@GoZero.9708 said:

@TEKnowledgy.1760 said:

@GoZero.9708 said:

@TEKnowledgy.1760 said:

@GoZero.9708 said:

@TEKnowledgy.1760 said:

I'm not arguing with you. This is a forum of discussion and we're discussing.

Whats left to actually discuss at this point in the matter? Anet's business model is clear, they stand by what they say. I've never known them not to i been round anet since 2005 with gw1.

personally wish they'd return to buy to play (the entire game core included) because it would cut all this nonsense and disadvantage out then no one would expect everything to be free.

@GoZero.9708 . I'm glad you can see where players on foot are coming from. We don't expect you to demount or even turn around to help, but just being able to make it in time for the achievement and exotic armor piece would be nice. That's all we want. I was never against mounts in the core game before today also. I fully understood that those who have purchased the expansion pack should be able to use them, but this is unfair and a forceful sales tactic.

@"TEKnowledgy.1760" It feels like a F.O. when players who have chosen to wait on the expansion pack are punished during a seasonal event. Do they plan to ruin Christmas next for everyone who hasn't purchased the expansion also? I can see from your replies you're never going to side with those that do not own the expansion pack, so I'm unsure of whether explaining about someone in a position other than your own would help, but here goes. My analogy of the situation is this: Mounts can help you get to vistas and complete jumping puzzles easier, but I can still get there a lot slower. You can complete events and dailies smoother, but I can still stumble along. This Labyrinth achievement and reward is not possible for those without mounts. No alternatives. This is, and will be seen as P2W for those without the expansion pack. As for your previous comment of "Adapt or move on". That's a great attitude to have for fellow and future players. Anyone who cares about this game wants players to join and enjoy their product, but apparently to you, if they don't buy something they should leave instead of voicing their opinion. It makes me wonder why player counts and sale figures are always lower every quarter.

@Tatori.7938 said:@GoZero.9708 . I'm glad you can see where players on foot are coming from. We don't expect you to demount or even turn around to help, but just being able to make it in time for the achievement and exotic armor piece would be nice. That's all we want. I was never against mounts in the core game before today also. I fully understood that those who have purchased the expansion pack should be able to use them, but this is unfair and a forceful sales tactic.

@"TEKnowledgy.1760" It feels like a F.O. when players who have chosen to wait on the expansion pack are punished during a seasonal event. Do they plan to ruin Christmas next for everyone who hasn't purchased the expansion also? I can see from your replies you're never going to side with those that do not own the expansion pack, so I'm unsure of whether explaining about someone in a position other than your own would help, but here goes. My analogy of the situation is this: Mounts can help you get to vistas and complete jumping puzzles easier, but I can still get there a lot slower. You can complete events and dailies smoother, but I can still stumble along. This Labyrinth achievement and reward is not possible for those without mounts. No alternatives. This is, and will be seen as P2W for those without the expansion pack. As for your previous comment of "Adapt or move on". That's a great attitude to have for fellow and future players. Anyone who cares about this game wants players to join and enjoy their product, but apparently to you, if they don't buy something they should leave instead of voicing their opinion. It makes me wonder why player counts and sale figures are always lower every quarter.

refer to here I state how i truly feel on thishttps://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/10848/i-think-allowing-mounts-in-the-lab-was-a-mistake#latest

It is a different subject than core tyria as a holiday event isnt some permanent feature.this thread came long before that event did i will treat it as such. I should have from the start of replying to the other guy it was action without thought hey we all make mistakes its why didn't argue for very long because more we discussed more I realized ya know. I maybe a firm person within an argument but I still have reasoning, compassion and empathy for others.

Not to be a meany but pay to win is only valid in a competitive environment like PvP or WvW no such thing as pay to win in pve content if you want to argue that point I'll throw down make sure you bring facts to the table and not opinion though.

In my oppinion free players and HoT (so payed to play) players are in a disadvantage because currently mounted (so PoF) players are able to aoe kill event and quest mobs in 1 hit and mount back up fast and keep doing it over and over again leaving no mobs for normal and HoT players to kill, sometimes players are unable to hit even 1 mob to get at least a bronze medal at the end! These OP mount skills need to get a minimum of 60sec or more cooldown so PoF players don't kill all the mobs in an event and leave nothing for other players!

@Zordimus.5901 said:In my oppinion free players and HoT (so payed to play) players are in a disadvantage because currently mounted (so PoF) players are able to aoe kill event and quest mobs in 1 hit and mount back up fast and keep doing it over and over again leaving no mobs for normal and HoT players to kill, sometimes players are unable to hit even 1 mob to get at least a bronze medal at the end! These OP mount skills need to get a minimum of 60sec or more cooldown so PoF players don't kill all the mobs in an event and leave nothing for other players!

Ya know the funny thing I don't even use mount attack skills my warrior hits harder than my mounts do when he crits lol. No lie I sometimes depending skill I see 15K crits so ya know..... I can use dual axe skill 5 hit 20K on hot mobsMounts arnt all that though guess in hordes they could be, but what if there was hordes of warriors would you be mad about that?Next time i roll my warrior out I'll snap few screen shots on high points of my crits and up date this reply haven't messed with him since got Pof been using my ranger.

@TEKnowledgy.1760 said:

Except it has the exact opposite effect of alienating those players who are being told "this content isn't for you unless you give us more money" even though its in what can be considered core content. They are essentially saying that only people who give us more money can get this stuff associated with an event you can do with sub level 80 characters. Its a turn off, full stop. People are always on the look out for "pay to win" scenarios where only people who drop the money can benefit in game, and this is one of those times.

@PookieDaWombat.6209 said:

@TEKnowledgy.1760 said:

Except it has the exact opposite effect of alienating those players who are being told "this content isn't for you unless you give us more money" even though its in what can be considered core content. They are essentially saying that only people who give us more money can get this stuff associated with an event you can do with sub level 80 characters. Its a turn off, full stop. People are always on the look out for "pay to win" scenarios where only people who drop the money can benefit in game, and this is one of those times.

It's a bloody expansion. You want something from it, you pay for it like everyone else.They don't release expansions all the time and that is one of the biggest ways to support the game excluding gem store purchases which not everyone uses real money to get their gems.If someone doesn't want to pay for the expansion, then that is too bad and they can continue doing the ENTIRE REST OF THE LABYRINTH DESIGNED TO BE DONE ON FOOT. This game is buy to play, not free to play. The free version is a trial of the core game, if you want to access all the other things the game has to offer then you buy it. Plain and simple. If someone is turned off by having to buy the game to get a mount which is completely fair for the person who paid for it to use, then honestly they probably had no intention of buying the game anyway and they want a free ride, which isn't going to happen.

So the complaint is from people who paid nothing from the game that they didn't pay for an expansion either, and they can't complete a new event for people with the mount to have fun in?

What about the fun the mounted people get to have since they PAID? Should they not be given any fun as PAYING customers? Surely those who haven't put forth a single cent cant deny the PAYING customer fun?

Get off your high horse and spend some money.

@hellsqueen.3045 said:

@PookieDaWombat.6209 said:

@TEKnowledgy.1760 said:

It's a bloody expansion. You want something from it, you pay for it like everyone else.They don't release expansions all the time and that is one of the biggest ways to support the game excluding gem store purchases which not everyone uses real money to get their gems.If someone doesn't want to pay for the expansion, then that is too bad and they can continue doing the ENTIRE REST OF THE LABYRINTH DESIGNED TO BE DONE ON FOOT. This game is buy to play, not free to play. The free version is a trial of the core game, if you want to access all the other things the game has to offer then you buy it. Plain and simple. If someone is turned off by having to buy the game to get a mount which is completely fair for the person who paid for it to use, then honestly they probably had no intention of buying the game anyway and they want a free ride, which isn't going to happen.

Don't stress to much HQ I've provided links info facts truth reasoning. These people have no care they lust for mounts and if they cant have it they'll do every thing they can to steal that thunder away from those who paid money and support the game. If anet said hey we going back to buy to play model with all of gw2 I'd throw a party cake and beer for everyone.

I love mounts, buy the Expansion if you want them plain and simple that's what all of us did. It's one of the main reasons I purchased. Don't whine if you don't buy it the way I look at it is lots of people pay monthly service charges for a lot of other MMO's with GW & 2 it has always been purchase core and expansion to receive new content. THERE IS NO MONTHLY FEE so I wish people would just be quite already buy it if you want the mounts if not don't play.

@TEKnowledgy.1760 said:

These people have no care they lust for mounts and if they cant have it they'll do every thing they can to steal that thunder away from those who paid money and support the game.

As I've mentioned I own both HoT and PoF. Even though I'm still quite a ways from 80 I wanted to show my support for GW2. I've also stated I'm not against mounts but do believe their mount attack needs to be looked at in terms of how it scales. Having learned today that one of the Holiday achievements is centered around having a mount is disappointing. Holiday events are typically meant to be fun fluff that let players of all levels participate and enjoy themselves. It seems the race event has been stacked such that players on mounts have an insurmountable (no pun intended) advantage. That's disappointing. But worse it's also a missed opportunity. Imagine if the event were set up so all players who participated were given a mount to use during the race. Players who might be sitting on the fence would get a taste of using a mount and could have been pushed over the edge to buy PoF.

It's a shame ANet missed a golden opportunity to entice players who haven't purchased PoF to get an in-game taste of what they're missing.

This is absolute bullshit, F2P is a trial, ppl who buy xpacs get new things, things to give them an advantage, like glider and mounts, access to new armor stats… and so on.Just because some ppl decide not to buy said xpacs, should the rest of the community suffer? Should the game be held back by the ones not financially contributing to the maintenance and further development of this game?I think the only thing anet should change is setting a time limit to the free account, say max 30 days, buy the game after that or no more game time.Or get rid of F2P all together!And I also feel that during this free trial there should be greater limitations.Sorry, but this is just how I feel. F2P should never have been a thing in GW2 anyway.

@sacredninja.5236 said:This is absolute kitten, F2P is a trial, ppl who buy xpacs get new things, things to give them an advantage, like glider and mounts, access to new armor stats… and so on.Just because some ppl decide not to buy said xpacs, should the rest of the community suffer? Should the game be held back by the ones not financially contributing to the maintenance and further development of this game?I think the only thing anet should change is setting a time limit to the free account, say max 30 days, buy the game after that or no more game time.Or get rid of F2P all together!And I also feel that during this free trial there should be greater limitations.Sorry, but this is just how I feel. F2P should never have been a thing in GW2 anyway.

I started this game on F2P just before HoT came out and there were a lot of restrictions, I understood it was a free trial and I respect their choices and felt surprised that it was possible to even reach max level in their trial. I was sold once I could transmog and dye armor honestly. At the time, I wouldn't have been able to afford HoT on my own and was just lucky I had a friend who wanted to give gifts to his friends that helped him run a server for the time being when things were really out of control. He bought HoT for me and a friend and it was amazing. I got the deluxe as soon as PoF was announced because I love this game.

Trialing this game allowed me to find out:

• I loved the combat and it was friendly by not having too many action skills and friendly to my mouse-clicking crap
  • The armor is beautiful, I can get creative and make it whatever combination in whatever colours
  • Classes felt good and unique and allowed me to create characters I enjoyed with builds
  • The races were interesting and fun to experience
  • The story was lovely and just what I was looking for
  • Heart system as opposed to quests allowing me to feel like a true hero helping out
  • Casual friendly. I could dedicate time into a much more time consuming MMO but none would be as beautiful and customisable as the Guild Wars 2 experience, I don't have to grind as much compared to other games to get all that I want, but there are still goals that do require grinding and that gives me something to strive for.

If I didn't get a chance to try it, I may have just listed it under another MMO that I wouldn't enjoy because there were TOO many like that for me.

The trial is good.Trying to act like they are somehow entitled, is not.

This might not be the best example, but I somewhat see this as games with DLC.I used to be somewhat of an achievement "hunter" in certain games. As in "If I really like the game, I want to 100% it... including achievements" or "To hell with this game. I'm stopping right here."There's at times there's a middle ground of "I like this game, but not enough to 100% it" or "Some of these achievements are impossible/super hard and I will never/maybe one day do them."GW2 for me is the latter of the middle ground, but forget achievements as that's not the comparison I'm trying to make on GW2...

Let's say I bought Saints Row IV when it 1st came out and really liked it to the point I wanted to 100% it, even down to the achievements.Now... I went through all that and I finally did, but now they added DLC which now changed my 100% to maybe 80%... then they added more DLC and it drops to like 45% and so on and so forth. I could be annoyed as now they put the DLC in the way of me wanting to be a completionist in this situation. I have 2 choices:

1. I say "Well I 100% the core game so I'm done. Don't care."
  2. I say, "I really liked this game, so I think I'll buy the DLC to get the extra stuff and the achievements as well."

GW2 is pretty much doing the same thing. There ARE achievements and such that's locked behind PoF content (like the race one), but not all of the content. That, and you have ways as someone pointed out to get some of those items outside of the PoF-needed items.With that the choices are simple of just not doing the PoF parts of this event and do whatever else and the stuff you're missing to get or get PoF and play that stuff.

You also got the choice of leaving any squad/group you see that is mounting straight to the doors and nothing else. I've done this too as I've had twice where they were pretty much a mount train.Yes, I have a mount, but I'm getting carved pumpkins and candy corn nodes too. Majority of the groups I see are on foot unless people have to keep up and get on mounts, or most times they just get those nodes/pumpkins and then everyone is free and can't really fall back when everyone's on foot. You might miss let's say the first 5 or 6 doors because you went to get the other things on the map, but after that you should be fine on catching up.

I'm not fully understanding the argument, but I've seen many ways around these things and it really just sounding a bit like a mixture of anger and jealousy in having mounts allowed. The simple choice... ignore, pay, or.... the other route which I won't recommend to anyone as I'm sure people here is mature enough to not "Well I'll just quit." That last choice is the childish route and I would expect if you're sound enough to be on the game and on the boards, you're willing to have a decent discussion on the matter.

@Jaquelidor.2618 said:

@TEKnowledgy.1760 said:

These people have no care they lust for mounts and if they cant have it they'll do every thing they can to steal that thunder away from those who paid money and support the game.

As I've mentioned I own both HoT and PoF. Even though I'm still quite a ways from 80 I wanted to show my support for GW2. I've also stated I'm not against mounts but do believe their mount attack needs to be looked at in terms of how it scales. Having learned today that one of the Holiday achievements is centered around having a mount is disappointing. Holiday events are typically meant to be fun fluff that let players of all levels participate and enjoy themselves. It seems the race event has been stacked such that players on mounts have an insurmountable (no pun intended) advantage. That's disappointing. But worse it's also a missed opportunity. Imagine if the event were set up so all players who participated were given a mount to use during the race. Players who might be sitting on the fence would get a taste of using a mount and could have been pushed over the edge to buy PoF.

It's a shame ANet missed a golden opportunity to entice players who haven't purchased PoF to get an in-game taste of what they're missing.

I understand that, I've already put my voice out there on holiday stuff (theres a link above to a thread with that) just not entirely here because this is a thread came before the event as a whole and speaking more about core tyria base. Holiday is something not here all the time i believe should be kept separate from this thread. Two different subjects. It is a bit derailing to be honest. In my opinion. Why im kinda vague in reply with that guy, is i switch to that thread. Was more direct about the holiday event. I maybe a firm defender of mounts in core base tyria content, but the holiday stuff im bit more compassionate about.i maybe a rump hole when it comes to something I deeply believe in, but god did give me a good heart n soul. I am not beyond reasoning, compassion and empathy.