Should people still be using core builds in ranked?

Sovarica.4368

I've always played core Mesmer. mainly I like the challenge of core professions over elites. ive never really got any complaints from teammates in games I tend to get more compliments for playing well. but that down more to my awareness and tactics than the profession. I still refuse to use elites in pvp they need more draw backs to their mechanics to be balanced or the trait lines made really weak for the bonus mechanics. need core only ranked games be great see ppls skill levels without the powercreep carrying a lot of them.

@ellesee.8297 said:Find out what you enjoy most about a class, make a build that will get you the most out of it, and play it. Don't let any screeching nerd tell you otherwise. If you're good, you'll reach plat regardless of what you play. It's only when you face other good people that your build starts to matter.

Very true. This is a video game, and your own personal enjoyment should come before the perceived enjoyment of others. You should be playing first for yourself.

I currently like to play Rifle + P/P Deadeye, because it is very fun for me. At the start of every game I told my team I was not a "decap" Thief. I reached plat using my fun pew pew build, but you can bet your butt that in the case of a loss it was "Thief we lost because you didn't decap." (No, you lost because you couldn't beat the enemy, but you need someone to blame, and it can't possibly be because you fought players that were above your skill level - you're the best player you know!) But the countless times that I was showered with post-game medals (Most Damage, Kills, Defense, Offense, etc...) nobody seemed to give me praise for being effective.

@ZhouX.8742 said:core s/d acro is slowly becoming the meta of choice for thief at the upper level, too good and will be even much better when scourge and spellbreaker are toned down

I can confirm this. Spent an hour yesterday dueling against a s/d core thief, and at the end of that all I learned was that no matter what you do you lose when fighting that monster.

@Loop.8106 said:I reached top 30 on EU playing Core Hammer guard only. So yes, it's viable for ladder. No one would run them in tournaments though.

You know, I can't be mad at you for that.Looks like I found my next test build :]Been meaning to find something dps'y outside of auramancer.

@Crinn.7864 said:

@ZhouX.8742 said:core s/d acro is slowly becoming the meta of choice for thief at the upper level, too good and will be even much better when scourge and spellbreaker are toned down

I can confirm this. Spent an hour yesterday dueling against a s/d core thief, and at the end of that all I learned was that no matter what you do you lose when fighting that monster.

@Azure The Heartless.3261 said:The only core specs that have severe disadvantages at the moment are revenant and necro.

wat

There is no core Revenant.

Oh yeah you're right

I must have been in a fever dream

• 1 year later...

@Matoki.3287 said:

@"michelada.2947" said:pfff my core guardian works better without the elites, no reason to pick those with the build i have, i think it's nice that core classes still bring something to the table

Mind to share your Guard build?

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vVAQRAsd7Ol0AxuhgrQgfIO4HKbBMu7JOAmhiIXhZ4GC-jJxHQBE8JAkkyAA4kAcm9HAAThis build was before the nerf to righteous instincts, but still works pretty well, you can even turn this build into a medi guard but i'm not a fan of it . the reason why i prefer core guardian instead of other elite spec is because the core guard virtues are instant.

It'd be interesting if they made one core spec a 'Core Elite specialization', that you also can't take with other Elite specializations. Not sure if it'd work, it could make many current builds unviable, but maybe it'd add some diversity and introduce some more interesting builds. Or not. As if it'd ever happen anyway. Bshrug

Every core should work as much elites work. Elites should mean there’s stronger specialization on what that class do, sadly anet uses elites to sell game and overbuff them and puts a vertical progression on the elites overperformance ence why games end unbalanced sometimes way to much for a game that calls himself balanced.