The Departing

My boyfriend and I are having the same issue. We've done this mission several times. Killed the Eater of Souls and as we go to talk to Joko, BAM crash. Every. Single. Time. Repairing the game didn't fix for us. I don't know what to do at this point.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having same issue. For days before the Halloween patch, was trying. It always disconnected after Balthazar put me down for the last time. I hear Aurene cry then it just goes quiet, then poof error 7 something, and disconnects. Tried after the patch and the the Game repair when I logged out the other day. Well the first fight went great made it to the Domain of the lost. Went through all that, and then just for jiggles ran to the portal, and just as Joko was about to stop talking I assume it error 7 again and disconnected. Ive basically stopped doing the story at this point, and not really gonna do anything till someone says something. A Dev or someone says hey guys we are looking into it, and are trying to solve the issue. Totally stopping my progress, in the story. Level 80 Necro. Would be nice to hear something from the team...Thanks for reading...

I suggest to limit FPS to 30 in graphics settings and to keep doing something during dialogue sequences (running around, jumping, using skills) to keep the graphics card busy. My suspicion: it is a programming issue I also encountered in other games like ESO and Witcher 3: when the graphics card has nearly nothing to do in such sequences its usage drops significantly, but then when something should happen and in case fps are set to unlimited the card performs significantly high in less than a second. This high difference of voltage causes a gpu signal drop out for a milli- or even nanosecond and results in a disconnection (single player games would crash). In other games this can happen in dialogue sequences too or menues or inventory where the gpu usage drops to under 5% and suddenly jumps to 100%. The FPS limitation prevents the high voltage difference. And doing something keeps the gpu usage higher to prevent it even further.

Edit:These dcs I also got in every single dungeon after watching a video or in the second after other party members finished to watch them. Yesterday and after limiting fps and doing something while the others watched I got no dc in Sorrows Embrace. I dared to watch the video in Citadel of Flame right before the last boss instead of cancelling it and guess what happened - I got a dc.But I was able to finish the second PoF Story mission on two characters where I always got a dc in the dialogue sequence right before I should get the fire extinguisher.

I FINALLY got through it.

The first time I played it, I crashed at the Joko monologue. All following times I crashed after the Balthazar fight.I ran the -repair on GW2.exe and set max FPS to 30, but I still crashed after Balthazar. After that, I:

Lowered all the graphics to their lowest settingsQuit the storyRestarted the gameRestarted the story

@Lanhelin.3480 said:I suggest to limit FPS to 30 in graphics settings and to keep doing something during dialogue sequences (running around, jumping, using skills) to keep the graphics card busy.Since I kept crashing after the Balthazar fight when you’re immobile, I waved the camera around wildly, and the cutscene finally playedI waited to go talk to the judge until Nenah takes you, so I didn’t get the bug where he won’t talk to youI ran past all the white purpose birdsWhen Joko starts trying to bargain with you, I ran past up to the gate and jumped around/used skills until I could go through the gate

and I FINALLY got through. I don’t know what, if any, of the things I tried helped, but success for now.

@zeffisapirate.4528 said:Since I kept crashing after the Balthazar fight when you’re immobile, I waved the camera around wildly, and the cutscene finally played

yeah, camera rotation I forgot to mention =)

It nevertheless is strange. I don't know what data is saved on our harddiscs but I assume the whole instanced dungeons/story chapters are. And that's where the dcs occur, because we don't get dcs in any other content, be it pvp, wvw or open world. It only happens in instanced areas. It's a programming issue and ANet programmers should resolve it.

"I need your army, but I don't need you". I have not gotten past this part yet.I needed to scream when i got disconnected at that point. I really don't think the lower frame rates , rebooting of modems , laptops was the fix for the issues. Who ever got past this disconnect by doing that - got lucky. I'll try again the next time we get patched.

Joining in on the frustration here. I made it to the "Listen to Joko's offer" step yesterday and it crashed/disconnected after the "I need your army, but I don't need you" line. Figured it was a fluke with my connection (even though that's been incredibly rare with my current setup), and tried again today. This time the disconnect occurred at the end of the battle with Balthazar, after the dialogue: "I don't want to kill you", then he responds "You won't". It made it through some of the cutscene after that, so I'm not sure exactly where it cut out (I was drinking coffee and not paying close attention, since I'd already seen it before...).

I'll try some of the suggestions above and report back. If it's really a graphics-related glitch, it might be interesting (and helpful to devs?) to gather some device info here. My card is an AMD Sapphire Dual-X Radeon R9 280x... not sure what version my driver is at, but I'll plan on updating to the latest version before my next attempt.

@Yargor.5291 said:Ok , i managed it .After i got all the same Bugs like all others and nothing helped i switched the Client to the 32Bit Version and i end up "The Departing" .It seems that the 64Bit Client is buggy .

So I tried a 3rd time yesterday, after updating my graphics card driver to the latest recommended version (I was a few weeks behind). Still no luck, disconnected at the end of Balthazar fight again.

Today, as I was going to repair my client, I was reminded that there is also a 32 bit client (I've been using 64-bit since it became available). I went ahead with the repair, but ran the 32-bit client instead. Finished the story with no issues!

Might be a little premature to declare that this is "the fix", but if anyone else is tired of retrying this story and hasn't tried this, it's worth a shot!

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, switched to 32 bit client and right away was able to get through the bit with Balthazar. Then went through all that stuff in the after life and just when I was about to finally get out of there I had to listen to one more offer from Jojo boy - then client lost connection again. Are you kidding me?! At least divide those two scenarios up so that we don't have to go through the fight with Balthazar again to finish up in the afterlife part.

• 2 weeks later...

I've tried over and over and over, I cannot get past the point where balth knocks you down and you die.One time I got past that with the help of someone else being in my party (why does that make a difference?) and it instead glitched out in the afterlife. This whole story instance is screwed. And today, I am disconnecting in every story instance while trying to help my GF. I am getting ready to want a refund, the game is completely broken.I've tried repair, the 32 bit client, maxing and min'ing my graphics card, everything. It's just broken.