What entertains you in GW2/keeps you playing? — Guild Wars 2 Forums

What entertains you in GW2/keeps you playing?

I'm just curious to hear from others. I am essentially done with PoF. Have all the mounts and classes now. I am already feeling that pull towards other MMOs which always happens to me in GW2. What do you guys do to keep the game fun? I usually find myself just hopping around LA. Even right now with the halloween event.. It's not fun. It's just an alternative grind to SW. I know when I play WoW I can easily find a group in raids which seems impossible here without 800 LI and full clear experience, I can do a plethora of quests that have pretty good rewards. Here I just find myself... Yearning to do something, but I can't think of anything. I have my ascended armor. I do my daily fractals..

What keeps you guys going? I need a little inspiration here :) I'm not trying to make a comparison post, bc both games are different and I love both.

Answers

• Sylent.3165Sylent.3165 Member ✭✭✭

It doesn't, I move on to other games inbetween living world.

However if they made a map similar to SW that was good rewards I'd be all over it

• Veprovina.4876Veprovina.4876 Member ✭✭✭

I set a project for myself, something in game i want and then i just play the content i need to get it. In the meantime to break the monotony, i do something different, maybe do a VB or AB meta, help some newbies with starting fractals, go play PoF maps, find some cool events or complete the maps.

There's tons of stuff to do in this game, and not only that, there's various game modes to do. Tired of PvE? Try some WvW, you might like it. WvW not your cup of tea? PvP maybe. Also, you're probably not bored with the game, you're probably just burned out a bit which means you need to take a break or you're going to start hating it. You don't need to play GW2 every day.

The game is fun. If you had fun so far that means you enjoy the game and are capable of having fun with it. If you're not having fun anymore, it just means you need a break.

• I'm a completionist. So I'm going after all the achievements and playing through all of the content. Looking at the game from my perspective, I'm always logging back in because there is just so much to do.
    I also really like the combat and the quality of life.

• ^ Sames. A completionist here. So many achievements/collections to finish, even in PoF.
    Gearing up weapons/armours for all nine toons, one of each class.
    Getting the look right for each toon - that's the difficult part, figuring out who they are.
    Mapping the world on each toon.
    Unlocking all the elites.
    Working towards the griffon.
    Maybe crafting that first legendary....

Yeah, there's enough to keep me busy for years. But if you've run out of things you find fun, play something else for a while. If you feel like coming back, you will.

• I have alts of every class. I like to mix and match skills to create new builds. Takes a while. Is also why I play secret world legends, as that allows me to make up my own builds by combining primary/secondary. It's just what I like to do is all.

Click on your name up top. Click the little icon with the down arrow for preferences. Click Signature Settings to the right.

• sephiroth.4217sephiroth.4217 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 23, 2017

Build crafting and the combat system..
    I also love how you can make 1 class into 5 or more subset classes which probably comes under build crafting. (refer to sig in regards to ele)
    Not being locked into a playstyle just because I chose a class but having freedom to use that class in a variety of roles.
    The lack of grind needed to have a level 80 (I have 27) fully geared up.
    PvP/WvW.
    Running around the game in first person mode with graphics turned up high playing a P/P thief.. (anet could almost make this game another genre by adding arms/weapon to the side of the screen while in first person mode)

Not to brag, but I put together a puzzle in 4 days and the box said 2-4 years.
    Please allow team queue with rewards again at our own discretion

• MrRay.3027MrRay.3027 Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 23, 2017

Gathering gold for my first legendary right now. I do that through every kind of content: HOT, POF, SW, Fractals, even did some dungeons for the fun of it. If I get bored with that, I go into wvw and have some fun there. Tweaking my "fashion". These are just the things that ocuppy my time right now, but there are plenty more. I've had my pvp craze (when I did only pvp) and wvw craze. I like that the game lets me, very easily, choose what I want to do. And also I've played other MMOs inbetween.
    As someone said above, you've probably just been hardcoring a casual MMO and you're burned out.

• DearlyMe.5320DearlyMe.5320 Member ✭✭✭

I want to do, collect, and experience everything. This includes having a separate character set up for each elite specialization. Plus, I'm closing in one my sixth month in the game, so still lots to do even without all those characters left to max out. Normally I'd have burnt myself out long ago on any other game. The world is large and varied enough that it keeps everything feeling fresh just by switching between characters or maps.

Mains :: Gwenyna (Sylvari Chronomancer) and Nyniendha (Sylvari Reaper)
    7 Sylvari | 7 Asura | 3 Norn | 3 Human | 3 Charr
    https://dearlyme.tumblr.com/

• Fantasy.5321Fantasy.5321 Member ✭✭✭

Open world content, combat, my guild/friends, updates (story, new items, etc).

• I keep making plans on doing certain things like a legendary (I already have the precursor dropped from a trash mob) or any number of other things and since I have what we term as SOS (shiny object syndrome) so I keep getting distracted and going a new direction. Then after a few I go back then the SOS kicks in. So much to do and so much to complete. Always astounds me when I hear about people that are bored BUT then again no one is exactly like anyone else so I can kinda understand being bored.

• Dashiva.6149Dashiva.6149 Member ✭✭✭

The living story has been great for keeping me invested in the game, allowing me to return with regular intervals. And with PoF a bunch of my irl friends made a return to the game which has been great fun seeing them discover all content that has been added.

I really enjoy chasing achievment no matter how large of small because there is just so many of them with great variety.
    Beyond that I like leveling alts and enjoying the beautiful enviroments.

Finally, the Fashion Wars is a thing that I have spent way too much time and gold on than I'm afraid to admit!

• Blodeuyn.2751Blodeuyn.2751 Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 23, 2017

The only thing that keeps me here is WvW. Sadly, with the mess that it is, I am not sure how long that will last.

Blodeuyn Tylwyth
    Quaggan OP [QOP], League of Extraordinary Siegers [LEXS]
    I'm battling cancer again. Highly aggressive salivary gland carcinoma. They can take my facial nerve, but they can never take my freedom!

• ProtoGunner.4953ProtoGunner.4953 Member ✭✭✭✭

I don't. I haven't even finished the expansion yet. I will do but at the moment I am busy with other games. The expansion isn't really long term imho. There is not much to do besides completing the maps and do the story. The rest is - as usual - tedious achievement stuff. It's a bit of a shame be cause at the beginning I was really astonished by the sheer greatness of the map design. They are great actually, but there is nothing to do. Ironically they told us that this expansion is about content. Where the heck is your content? I mean there is not a single dungeon, no raid, no new game mode, no new race nor anything else to do.

• Ayakaru.6583Ayakaru.6583 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 23, 2017

Well, inbetween story, seasonals and pvp-seasons i either hunt achievements or play other games..
    Still gotta do witcher 3.. but this time of year probably has halloween, s4.1 and then wintersday

To defeat the dragons, see the good in them.
    Zhaitan reunites lost ones, primordus creates fertile land, mordremoth spreads the green, and jormag..
    ..jormag? Who's that?

• blambidy.3216blambidy.3216 Member ✭✭✭

Hmmmm depends on what I want to achieve. I think I like to complete everything. I always set a goal what I want then I move on and do something different. I first did story for characters. 500 to all crafting. Then for 3 classes I got both elites. However for the 6 characters I have I want to get all. Now what keeps me going is things that are fun to me. For the past 2 years IV played. Iv never done fractals so now IV been doing fractals and having a blast. The reason why. Well because I'm on the griffon gold grind. And the fact that you get gold from fractals is two birds in 1 stone. Have fun killing mobs and getting the booty. What is better than that? Nothing jk. I also do PvP that keeps me going. Also I want to get all masteries for hot. Since I've finished POF story. I don't want to be that behind so I've been doing that too. I think when people say they are bored is because you need a goal. When you find the goal and start it, You will have fun and then not realise you been playing for few hours. If I could I would raid too but each time I'm in a new guild that does raiding, they are ether rude. Or they just don't talk to me. Which I hate so I stick to my first guild. And we do missions, story. Fractals. Dungeons, wvw. Depends what you want to do. Do what you feel and have fun. There's too many things to do in this game to not know how to keep the flame going.

• Goettel.4389Goettel.4389 Member ✭✭✭

WoW player here too, from vanilla to Legion. I recently grew bored with grinding instances for iLevel in Legion and came back to GW2 late in HoT.
    What keeps me playing GW2 right now are events, whether it's HoT metas, SW cash grind or alting (and currently ofc Mad Lab grinds, which I love). PoF is sadly lacking in the event department right now, but I do enjoy slowly checking off achievements there more than in either Tyria or HoT. Alting is something I usually hate but love in GW2, because even the lowbie zones are alive with people doing events. That open (dare I say living) world vibe is what keeps me here, together with the excellent combat.

What is really boils down to though is that I greatly enjoy the actual gameplay i.e. combat. Most classes/elites offer a unique take on the combat, almost making it feel like I'm playing a different game on different alts.

Seeing you have PoF finished & one of each class.... maybe you're burned out :-) If and when I am, I simply go play something else. MMO-wise though, there's no game I'd rather play.

• Legendaries. Currently working on the Ad Infinitum collections and looking to finish the legendary armor collections sometime in the near future.

• Carighan.6758Carighan.6758 Member ✭✭✭✭

The open world, just running around, spending time chatting to friends online while running into things randomly and following along.

It's the perfect social type of getaway game, which distances itself from the more involved, mechanics-heavy and isolating "proper" RPGs I could play.

• Embered.5089Embered.5089 Member ✭✭✭

Well, I did the PoF story so slowly, that I took like maybe a month to complete it. And I'm still doing PoF map completion >.>
    I have alts, but I really only play on my main. So when my main is all caught up with the story and map completion and masteries, I usually follow achievements. And I'll get distracted while doing achievements and hop into events or talk with guildmates in a spiraling chat, and soon enough I'll look at the clock and be like "oh time for bed."
    But the key is that I don't have 8 hours a day to play. I have... real-life stuff to do, so I only get a couple of hours in gw2, usually. Days when I have more than that, I don't usually spend all on gw2. I watch Netflix or something instead

• WvW, even in the poor state it is now.

• Zoria.1392Zoria.1392 Member ✭✭
    edited October 23, 2017

Raiding, Living story, holiday events , any of the thousands of achievements, dungeons, jumping puzzles, adventure games, activity games, exploration, map clears, dailies, WvW, fractals, challenge modes, gearing and playing alts and legendary crafting, Of all the MMOs I've played, this one has the most to do.

• If I am being completely honest with myself... so I can live in the past.
    Thats probably why UI and game changes kitten me off so much.

But to answer, only PvP and PEOPLE keep me here. Love the game world, the style, etc... but never bothered with Personal Story because I dont care about Tyria. I dont want a peace with Charr. Im noy buying what Jennah has to sell(I absolutely LOATHE ALL NAMED/MAIN NPCS EXCEPT CANACH.

So for me, I live a quiet life in Queensdale picking berries and fighting bandits. Sometimes bears. Sometimes I da.. oh wait, used to dance for cows.

Currently have 5 precursors in bank. No intention to make. Gave away 11 pres in my gw2 lifetime.

No raids.

Story is donkey.

The true gem of this game is the background noise, the enviroment. Little things.

And festivals. Except SAB. I hate that kitten esthetically.

Pls bring back joobalee.

• Aye.8392Aye.8392 Member ✭✭

If I don't have a particular goal in mind (and I never HAVE to have a particular goal in mind) I just go kill things and take their stuff. Good fun.

• jheryn.8390jheryn.8390 Member ✭✭✭

Completing achievements.
    Hanging out with my guild friends on TS.
    Living World

There are so many things that keep me playing. I set goals for things I want to do. Most of the time it is PvE achievements or collections and once in a while it is WvW goals. i.e. finishing the Legacy Armor Track.

There are so many things to do in the game, that it is nearly impossible for a normal player to get them all done.

The game is really what you make of it. Some people rip through story content as quickly as possible and after they are done think, "There's nothing left to do." The game is much more than that.

• Dreamy Lu.3865Dreamy Lu.3865 Member ✭✭✭

For me, the question is rather: How is it possible to have nothing left to do? I mean, when you see the amount of achievements, is that really possible to reach the status "Everything done"?

I am playing since GW2 beta. I still have loads of things undone from original Tyria and generally from all storylines and related areas after that. I started with WvW only recently and am not farther than rank 342. I still have 50 levels ahead of me in Fractals. I still miss paths in several dungeons. As for the achievements I have ongoing, or the ones that I have not even started yet... The list is too long, I will not bother you with it.

So, it is true that I am a rather slow player. There are several reasons for that. Main ones are that I like to take my time at things and that I have a real life with highest priority. Due to this - same than in GW before - I have to set priorities and generally tend to do what I like and postpone the rest, that unfortunately cumulate pretty rapidly... LOL

Is all this sufficient to explain? I am not sure. My impression is - I may be wrong - that when someone says: "I have nothing left to do", it means probably "I have nothing left, that I find interesting".

But well, I can be entirely wrong. Maybe that there are players who can be so good and fast - to my eyes - that they have all done everywhere? Then, WOW! In that case, it means that I am really a very slow player and sort of an exception with my tons of undone things for which I never find enough time. Personally, I am glad to be like that, because it prevents me from reaching a status where I do not know what to do anymore. It is the opposite: I never have time enough to do all what I would like to. That keeps me always motivated and excited at progressing. :)

I'm out of my mind, feel free to leave a message...

• I'm a solo GW2 player that completed nearly all activities at one point or another except the raid. I like to play a number of games so I Have these on-off periods with GW2, but always come back to GW2 eventually. Currently what keeps me going is the achievements or more specifically the achievement rewards.

When I was in a guild it was fun just to play the game with people, especially when you have guildies or friends to work towards something together.

I am slowly getting burned out again though because I've been playing non-stop since PoE released and am still going probably until I deck out my scourge in ascended and complete the story with him like my Firebrand. One of the Cons of being a solo player, you end up playing in waves when new content comes out.

GW2 is a free game that lets you choose what you want to do. It kind of pushes you to explore and find a purpose for you work on your own terms. Its different from other MMOs where your hand-guided by quests and tasks which itself isn't a bad thing. The point is some people like it one way the others another.

• dusanyu.4057dusanyu.4057 Member ✭✭✭

if you are creative, you can allays find something to do

• Alatar.7364Alatar.7364 Member ✭✭✭✭

My Guild... and PvP

~ I Aear cân ven na mar

• Rennie.6750Rennie.6750 Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 23, 2017

I have a few objectives, a short term one (today is increasing my fractal level and getting the final tier of gold rewards in wvw, or at least try to), stuff that I want to do this month (getting vipers ascended accessories for my character) and long term goals (getting top tier wvw rewards, crafting a legendary weapon). Long an short term goals are related to game mechanics I enjoy, stuff to do this month is often a chore because it's a MMO and you have to eat tons of kitten on a daily basis to achieve some meta goals you set up for yourself, and you have to do it one day anyway.

Overall I love the combat mechanics. What's built around this (instanced content, crafting, events) really varies in quality but at least there's always some sort of pvp to keep me entertained. Funnily enough this game has some of the best instanced content, and some of the worst kitten i've ever seen, all of this condensed in fractals if that's your thing.

• Shirlias.8104Shirlias.8104 Member ✭✭✭✭

As Sylent wrote

@Sylent.3165 said:
    It doesn't, I move on to other games inbetween living world.

However if they made a map similar to SW that was good rewards I'd be all over it

though i don't give a cat about farming like sw.
    I just log with my main, enjoy story ( and related achievements ) and exploration, then i am done till ls or maybe seasonals.

Btw, currently i tend to login, if do, daily login apar, for WvW ( i was used to spvp but i am out from it since PoF release ).

• Aeolus.3615Aeolus.3615 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 23, 2017

The players on my server who i usually find on WvW we've spent most time outmaned being try harders.

• Fallesafe.5932Fallesafe.5932 Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 24, 2017

@Justin.5231 said:
    I'm just curious to hear from others. I am essentially done with PoF. Have all the mounts and classes now. I am already feeling that pull towards other MMOs which always happens to me in GW2. What do you guys do to keep the game fun? I usually find myself just hopping around LA. Even right now with the halloween event.. It's not fun. It's just an alternative grind to SW. I know when I play WoW I can easily find a group in raids which seems impossible here without 800 LI and full clear experience, I can do a plethora of quests that have pretty good rewards. Here I just find myself... Yearning to do something, but I can't think of anything. I have my ascended armor. I do my daily fractals..

What keeps you guys going? I need a little inspiration here :) I'm not trying to make a comparison post, bc both games are different and I love both.

Absolutely nothing right now. This game lost its pop the minute I maxed all my stats/gear, and realized I would never get another thing I wanted as long as I played. I enjoy helping new people get started in fractals, or helping random people with their quests/achievements.

Otherwise, I'm flopping around like a fish in the sand, and kinda pathetically hanging on for the sake of my investment. But there's nothing to do (and no reason to do it). I'm bored.

• i love the hearts and open world Tyria (except orr and maguma)
    in most places, there is even more immersion, than in azeroth
    this is where the strength of this game is , everything else is standard, or subpar to other games
    430mio hearts in 5 years = 235.600 every day= 9800 every hour
    this was their finest hour

• Fashion ofc. Need my scantily clad female human toons. Where are the bikinis and rollerskates on the gemstore.

• Makai.3429Makai.3429 Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 24, 2017

Mentoring and helping out new players when I can. Beyond that, there's nothing much else for me to do since most of my GW1 friends scattered to the winds years ago, and I'm burnt out on playing the game alone.

Off to play games that reward strategy and thought. Farewell, Watch the Floor Simulator.

• TheOrlyFactor.8341TheOrlyFactor.8341 Member ✭✭✭✭

Achievement hunting, occasionally farming, occasional daily's, crafting stories for my 15 characters, and role playing when I have role playing partners (which I don't have at the moment so I'm not role playing at this moment in time).

When I do get tired of GW2 I'll take a break for a bit and play some classic Doom. <3

Asura fanatic.
    World's largest Zojja fan.
    Illconceived Was Na fanboy.

• PvP, Open World, Dungeons, Fractals, Trying to level up mastery levels, chatting to friends. :)

• SkyShroud.2865SkyShroud.2865 Member ✭✭✭✭

gw2 just happened to be the best valued mmorpg now for me
    if a title with a better value come out, i won't hesitate to move to it

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International PvX Guild
    Henge of Denravi Server
    www.gw2time.com

--

Explanations of WvW Structures & Populations Issues

• Lysander Freeman.4186Lysander Freeman.4186 Member ✭✭
    edited October 24, 2017

I just don't like change and GW2 provides enough opportunity that I don't need to learn a whole new game system to experience different activities.

More full explanation... GW2 has a very user-friendly and for-the-most-part-intuitive system that I don't have to work hard at to play half-decently. It has enough different gameplay types and mechanics that I can do one thing for a while (PoF PvE for example) and then when I tire of that I can do something else that uses the same base play system but provides a different experience (WvW). If I feel especially motivated I can gear up, fine tune the build, and brace for chat abuse and go into solo-Q PvP-land (which is not my strong suit but I feel I do "OK" with). Or, if I have a lot of time on my hands to gear and build my character and I'm willing to sit through some long planning sessions, I might do a raid boss. I'm considering doing some of the (edit - "Adventures") soon - haven't done the Griffon activities or many of the PoF races. Some stuff is easy to quick join in and play. Those things are great for someone with a busy family schedule and want to sit back and enjoy a little of "me" time.

• Dog.1472Dog.1472 Member ✭✭

Asura. Best race in any video game ever.

“Please, you can look down on people without having to be physically above them.
    As an asura, I do this all the time.”

• TheOrlyFactor.8341TheOrlyFactor.8341 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Dog.1472 said:
    Asura. Best race in any video game ever.

Amen brother.

Asura fanatic.
    World's largest Zojja fan.
    Illconceived Was Na fanboy.

• Cuddy.6247Cuddy.6247 Member ✭✭✭

What entertains me now is Balthazar. I'm still not big on many of the classes - I only play two guardians. But what keeps me coming back currently is working on armour and jewelry for Grieving stats, since they're apparently impossible to find.

• I love my charr warrior. I like fashion wars. Luckily there are plenty of collections to unlock skins :D

• The reason why I'm playing the game right now is because I'm sick as hell. Have been for about a year now. Doctors here are terrible and have no idea what is wrong. I figured if I'm going to be largely immobile and in terrible pain most of the time, I might as well grind out some gold and loot while I wait to get better.

"Self awareness is knowing when you're sitting at the throne of ignorance." --Leo G.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.