Story Instances Cause the game to drop Connection, usually at the end of the story?

Why does this seem to happen 2-4 times with every story instance yet never happens while not in an instance? If this is the user experience (there's apparently dozens of threads on this exact issue when you google this error) I might need to contact my CC and tell them to reverse the charge since you've sold me a broken game.

"the game client lost its connection to the server please wait a few minutes before restarting the client and trying again. code=7:11:3:191:101"

I am experiencing the same issues. Story Journal: Sparking the Flame will crash to the character select screen. Played through the story instance 3 times, where the client crashed at different intervals during the instance. I tried to play through it a 4th time with another player in the party and still experienced the same client crash.

https://instagram.com/p/BagAkazFPji/

I've been having the same issue with the last half dozen or so story missions on my Ranger. I've been trying to finish up "My Story" before moving on to PoF content.

As soon as I'm done running the repair on the client I'll post where I was in the story when I first encountered these frustrating crashes.

E: After lookin at the wiki, it was pretty much every quest in Chapter 8 that had it happen in. Including the Vigil line of quests.E2: And it just bloody happened again towards the end of the Path of Fire intro quests. Was about to help save the village when the first mate was going to give me something and poof disconnected...

I've tried all the tricks posted in the dozens of other threads - repair the client, append the client port to the short cut as a parameter, port forwarding for the three ports in FAQ to my now static ip.

The only thing that has given me a somewhat stable experience so far is I switch from high appearance to high performance when entering every story instance. I have a pretty high end PC that has no problems running this game on high appearance, but for whatever reason letting it run on high performance seems to let the instance stories play out without disconnecting me .... at least for the last 10 or so stories I've gone through so far.

@Jasmine.8195 said:I've tried all the tricks posted in the dozens of other threads - repair the client, append the client port to the short cut as a parameter, port forwarding for the three ports in FAQ to my now static ip.

The only thing that has given me a somewhat stable experience so far is I switch from high appearance to high performance when entering every story instance. I have a pretty high end PC that has no problems running this game on high appearance, but for whatever reason letting it run on high performance seems to let the instance stories play out without disconnecting me .... at least for the last 10 or so stories I've gone through so far.

I discovered setting my pc to "performance" over "appearance" fixes a lot of things with GW2, as well as other games too. It also seems to help with running movies as well. So I always set my graphics for performance over appearances. Been doing this for the past two years with great success once I figured out it worked.

• 2 months later...

I know complaining here will will have no effect whatsoever on ARENANET but after almost completing two separate stories TWICE in a row EACH, and LOSING ALL MY PROGRESS, one PoF and another in the original game I am just so fed up. I NEVER get disconnected playing the normal game it is just in the kitten stories. I have no idea what to do. WHY oh why does it choose stores to disconnect.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

A bit late but I can confirm that switching to high performance did allow me to complete the first quest in Path of Fire (Sparking the Flame). My connection was dropped by the client twice at the same point, just after you talk to the dude with the injured leg and his sister for the first time.

It would be pretty slick if you could set a custom graphics setting so that you could simply switch between performance when faced with more graphic intensive content and the custom setup when putzing around or grinding; does something like that exist in the form of a mod?

Would be even better if they just fixed it but here we are _(--)_/

Yep, same problem here. Had to redo a story instance 3 times in a row but still experiencing crashes. And is the same error code: 7:11:3:191:101. I really don't know what else to do. Lowering the graphics still does it. Wrote a ticket to Anet and I hope to see a reply soon and get this thing fixed.

• 2 years later...

I had the game completely crash on me two times straight during the last boss fight of LW4 Episode 1.

By the third try, I set the graphics settings to “Best Performance” and it fixed things.

Now I play story instances with “Best Performance” with a few tweaks to make it bearable to look at.(Subsample -> Native, SMAA Low, Shaders Medium, Postprocessing Low)

Why lowering graphics settings can solve problems:

For those unfamiliar with the software/hardware underlying computers: Graphics takes a lot of mathematical power to compute where all those things go. We’re talking a LOT of Trigonometry, Calculus, algorithms, data structures, and all kinds of math just to bend light a certain way, decide if things collide, make any visual look good, et cetera.

That boss fight I mentioned in the post above had a lot of blaring lights and mechanics. It took a lot out of my old device’s GPU. One stray floating point number (it’s a type of data that’s like a decimal but not really) gone wrong (or a loop or algorithm that didn’t resolve properly) can mess up the calculations and return errors.

Setting graphics settings to as low as possible means there’s less of this computing going on - i.e. less of a chance for your own CPU and GPU to struggle with what to display.

• 1 year later...
On 10/20/2017 at 9:47 PM, Jasmine.8195 said:

Why does this seem to happen 2-4 times with every story instance yet never happens while not in an instance?

It usually happens whenever there is a trigger to the final story step in the instance, often when a cinematic is supposed to play, but not always.

It's a bug people (including myself) have been complaining about for years, which is why they introduced checkpoints so you won't have to replay the whole instance. Still very annoying and frustrating, though.

P.S. I hope they will introduce checkpoints in next year's SAB as well, as complete level runs get nullified that way.

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

It usually happens whenever there is a trigger to the final story step in the instance, often when a cinematic is supposed to play, but not always.

It's a bug people (including myself) have been complaining about for years, which is why they introduced checkpoints so you won't have to replay the whole instance. Still very annoying and frustrating, though.

P.S. I hope they will introduce checkpoints in next year's SAB as well, as complete level runs get nullified that way.

Checkpoints don't seem to help on the disconnects my group has experienced. If one of us disconnects we need to start the whole instance over. (If there is a way for the disconnected person to rejoin, that would be great, but their progress seems to be reset when they log back on.)

• Confused 1

33 minutes ago, Tanek.5983 said:

Checkpoints don't seem to help on the disconnects my group has experienced. If one of us disconnects we need to start the whole instance over. (If there is a way for the disconnected person to rejoin, that would be great, but their progress seems to be reset when they log back on.)

Oh, sorry to hear that. 😐 Fortunately, the story can be solo'd, so I've never had to deal with this particular problem.

• 4 months later...

September 2022, game release on Steam, THOUSANDS of new players, and STILL HAVE TO DEAL WITH THIS YEARS OLD BUG. This is utterly ridiculous. Checkpoints do not work, it sends you back to the beginning of the freaking long instance. And if they created checkpoints specifically to work around this bug, why not expend the time and energy on FIXING IT instead?  It ONLY happens at the end of a convo with quest trigger/quest giver. It is NOT connectivity on player end. It is NOT due to our devices being unable to handle the high end graphics settings. Most of us having this issue have NO crashes on MUCH more graphically demanding games. Just OWN it and FIX it kitten. I have limited playtime and I am NOT going to waste it on repeating the same instance over and over. So very glad I did not buy the most recent expansion. Just disgusted right now going through these threads and seeing how long this has been ruining the experience for so many.

EDIT: it's EVERY SINGLE Vigil mission.so far, but only maybe 1 in 5 of the instanced missions before Vigil.

Edited by BrujoHo.8259
  • Haha 2

59 minutes ago, BrujoHo.8259 said:

September 2022, game release on Steam, THOUSANDS of new players, and STILL HAVE TO DEAL WITH THIS YEARS OLD BUG. This is utterly ridiculous. Checkpoints do not work, it sends you back to the beginning of the freaking long instance. And if they created checkpoints specifically to work around this bug, why not expend the time and energy on FIXING IT instead?  It ONLY happens at the end of a convo with quest trigger/quest giver. It is NOT connectivity on player end. It is NOT due to our devices being unable to handle the high end graphics settings. Most of us having this issue have NO crashes on MUCH more graphically demanding games. Just OWN it and FIX it kitten. I have limited playtime and I am NOT going to waste it on repeating the same instance over and over. So very glad I did not buy the most recent expansion. Just disgusted right now going through these threads and seeing how long this has been ruining the experience for so many.

EDIT: it's EVERY SINGLE Vigil mission.so far, but only maybe 1 in 5 of the instanced missions before Vigil.

See thread 'Storyline Disconnects - Merged' for tips/tricks/workarounds and Dev response(s) for this issue.

Good luck.