Please save progress inside story instances in case of lost connection!

BraKet.3570

I just spent 45 minutes inside a personal story instance ("The Departing" from PoF) only to be randomly disconnected from the server at the very last minute (while listening to an NPC's offer, censored to prevent spoilers). Just 2 more minutes and I would have finished the mission. Now I have to do everything all over again. This has happened at least 5 times since PoF was released, but previously I did not lose as much progress and I did this time. It's very frustrating, but can easily be averted by saving progress and starting from the last checkpoint if the player gets disconnected.

I understand that sometimes disconnections happen, that's just part of playing an online game. But why can't the game just save my progress so that I won't have to restart from the beginning if I get disconnected? There are already checkpoints within the instance in case of death, can't they just be saved so that resuming the story resumes from the checkpoint?

Honestly, story missions are simply not fun for me anymore. I have to do everything as quickly as possible, out of fear of being disconnected and losing my progress. I can't just stop and enjoy the story. It's making me very anxious and ruining my fun. I'm seriously considering leaving the game because of this. I have very limited time to play, and having to do this 45 minute story mission all over again is a complete waste of my time.

Thank you for your consideration.

• Like 1

Excelsior.

The question is, however, why are you being disconnected? I have a regular consumer connection via Cable and I don't disconnect "randomly", no matter to what server. I could either trace it (ask the support or search for the right instructions) and figured out the reason why I disconnected (99% package loss in a node in Scandinavia for example was the biggest trouble I had the past years). I see it so often that people in every game claim or say it's outright "normal" to disconnect. It is not. Would you stay with a phone company interrupting your calls every few minutes or power company giving you blackouts several times a day?

That aside, I am afraid of that, because the instances are severaly bugged. I reach the marker and nothing moves, or my NPC (Trahearne loves to do that) gets stuck, or Braham also did it once and I almost though he can't stand being bossed around by a midget. If some sort of saving happens, I am sure it might also save the corrupt states. Leaving the instance totally is literally like disconnecting, so I would reconnect into a buggy state all over. That's why I am pretty happy the instance is being cancelled alltogether.

OP, I share your pain. Just happened to me in both Crystalline Memories and Hallowed Ground. Finished the big fights and while doing the after-fight dialogue I get DCed. Have to do it all over again.

This is not fun.

I highly doubt it's end user connectivity issues. Too many people are seeing it and you know they don't all have the same type of connection. Also, I almost never have any disconnects except for while playing GW2.

@Zedek.8932 said:The question is, however, why are you being disconnected? I have a regular consumer connection via Cable and I don't disconnect "randomly", no matter to what server. I could either trace it (ask the support or search for the right instructions) and figured out the reason why I disconnected (99% package loss in a node in Scandinavia for example was the biggest trouble I had the past years). I see it so often that people in every game claim or say it's outright "normal" to disconnect. It is not. Would you stay with a phone company interrupting your calls every few minutes or power company giving you blackouts several times a day?

My Internet connection is fine. I most likely got disconnected simply because since PoF release the servers have been crashing frequently. However, it doesn't actually matter why I'm being disconnected or whose fault it is. Whether it's the client or the server's fault doesn't change the fact that I lost 45 minutes of my time because I couldn't resume the instance from the last checkpoint.

That aside, I am afraid of that, because the instances are severaly bugged. I reach the marker and nothing moves, or my NPC (Trahearne loves to do that) gets stuck, or Braham also did it once and I almost though he can't stand being bossed around by a midget. If some sort of saving happens, I am sure it might also save the corrupt states. Leaving the instance totally is literally like disconnecting, so I would reconnect into a buggy state all over. That's why I am pretty happy the instance is being cancelled alltogether.

The solution is very simple: when they add the "start from last checkpoint" button they should also add a "start from beginning of instance" button.

I just posted to the bugs forum. I have disconnected at the end of almost every story section, in particular soul eater twice, beast of war , although I did get credit and then tonite I soloed balthazar twice, both times I disconnected at exactly the same spot of the story where the cinematic shows him breaking up into pieces. Didn't get credit either time, wasted a ton of armor repair capsules, and it completely ruined the "fun" of the story for me. I gave up in total utter disgust because these are not short fights to solo, they take a long time. Completely wasted my entire evening and left me with a very bad taste in my mouth for Path of Fire!

I've been DCing in story instances going back to Prisoners of the Dragon in the HoT story, 2 or 3 LS3 chapters and now Night of Fires. Any relief for this condition would be appreciated.

@ Zedek

There is an internet curse floating around on message boards, "May you live in an area with a Comcast Broadband monopoly." I am the unfortunate beneficiary of said curse, so my choices are staying with the only cable connection in town or doing without cable. As to bugs in instances, while I remember a couple in the personal story, I have not seen one -- other than the frequent DCing itself, that only happens in GW2 -- in forever.

• 4 weeks later...

Crystalline Memories has become my nemesis. Over 3 characters who have completed it, over 2 accounts, I have logged a total of 8 attempts. Each time I attempted and failed to finish, I randomly disconnected just after the time that the Crystal Guardian was defeated, usually as the Glint dialogue was playing. When I go back in, I have to re-do the boss fight. Just had my second d/c on character number 4, and I'm fed up.

To say this is frustrating is a gross understatement. I have gone through a recommended client repair, no difference. Generally, I have managed to get through this mission by bringing guildies along so we power through it super fast. I can easily solo the mission, but need help to FINISH the mission? Not fun, Anet.

I have tried this at various times of the day, and have had no internet problems with any other game or software - just GW2. I get the occasional d/c in PvE, in new and old maps, but missions are where it happens almost predictably.

Please, would you at least acknowledge that there is a problem, even if you haven't been able to trace the cause yet. Just let us know that it's being looked into? I want to get back to enjoying doing story missions.

There should be a lot more checkpoints, both for people who DC and for those pursuing achievements or simply wanting to restart.

Here's where I'd like to see checkpoints:

• Right before any major puzzle, especially if there's a timer.
  • Right before any combat.
  • Immediately after the size, shape, or location of the playable area changes.
  • Immediately after any long speeches.
  • Right before any achievements have a trigger point.

So for example, right after Kormir says speechifies, after Sadizi pontificates, or even in the "victory lap" story at the end, after you are greeted by the various dignitaries. On the whole, I'd rather ANet set up too many checkpoints than too few. I don't mind if we can't reset while in the instance as long as when we return, we don't have to listen or go through all the same dialogue and same climbing or other puzzles.

This solution helped some people:

@Zakmyrr.6389 said:I've had some luck with this, but I still get disconnected sometimes.

Right click the shortcut you use to start GW2.Click "Properties", then select the Shortcut Tab, if it's not already on that tab.In the field next to "Target" you should see something like, "C:\Program Files\Guild Wars 2\Gw2-64.exe"At the end of that line, hit space and type -clientport 443.It should now look like this, "C:\Program Files\Guild Wars 2\Gw2-64.exe" -clientport 443

Now, click the "Compatibility" tab.Near the bottom, put a check in the box labeled, "Run this program as an administrator."Click Apply, then OK

You can also try -clientport 80

I found a different solution which also worked for me: go to graphics settings and limit fps to 30. Keep your graphics card busy during dialogue sequences by moving, jumping, using skills. This helped me a lot in various story missions and dungeons too where previously I always got a dc.

@Zedek.8932 said:Excelsior.

The question is, however, why are you being disconnected? I have a regular consumer connection via Cable and I don't disconnect "randomly", no matter to what server. I could either trace it (ask the support or search for the right instructions) and figured out the reason why I disconnected (99% package loss in a node in Scandinavia for example was the biggest trouble I had the past years). I see it so often that people in every game claim or say it's outright "normal" to disconnect. It is not. Would you stay with a phone company interrupting your calls every few minutes or power company giving you blackouts several times a day?

Off topic..but to answer you're question. Some people don't have access to better internet.

I have to use. What's known us "mobile broadband", it's a router with a sim card for internet service.This service various by 3-14 mb/s.

Quite often the drop in speed..kicks me out of an instance.

Weather affects it also, so I momentarily lose network connectivity fairly frequently.

There is absolutely nothing my network provider can do about this. And this is the only network available to me.

So yeah, quite contrary to black outs...but if that was your only available option. .you'd put up with it too.

I don't know why Anet doesn't have any checkpoints in some stories and doesn't have more in general. Especially since they know there are large numbers of players who have trouble DCing in the instances. The fact that they can put checkpoints in stories but often don't is frustrating and I don't understand why they do this. And often it is the most irritating stories that don't have checkpoints (how many times did I go through being hit by rocks during the initiation trying to get Fearless...). It would be silly for Anet to purposefully frustrate their players, and yet since I know they CAN add checkpoints I don't understand why they don't.

• 2 weeks later...

I receive disconnects every to every other mission only in instance storys and it's exclusively during either the talking cinematics or occasionally after choosing an option talking with a npc. These disconnects almost ALWAYS are at the end of the mission. My internet is extremely good, with also being wired, my hardware is also not the issue. These disconnects are most certainly a bug from the game. I just got into GW2 a week or two ago and found it so enjoyable that I got both the expansions to get the full experience. Unfortunately these disconnects are making the amazing story mode borderline unplayable. I pray they fix this.

this is why i don’t do story’s. i wait for an option to skip the npc talk or dialogue. so i can rush through the story. i don’t like to wait all the time. if i do the story it’s because i need an achievement or something. i completed personal story this year and bought the game at release. but had a break for a few year. i once got a disconnect at the beer drink event on a pirate ship. lost ten minutes. and had to do all over again. i have fiber glass connection 50/50. dc can happen. but if i can do a story in 10 minutes instead of 30 (with dialogues) then i start with them. but i don’t think it will ever happen because they are proud of the story they created. and that’s nice. if i understand story’s then it’s nice if it’s my mother language. story’s are english. talking to someone in english is fine but understand a story is hard and i don’t want to :)

i support the op. we had the same problem yesterday. we had a group of 5 doing mordremoth on challenge mode for the migraine achievement. when fighting mordremoth himself one of us got a dc short before the 3rd flight phase and he could not get back into the instance after login. since we where that far we finished with 4 and redo the mission today to get the kicked out person get the achievement as well. i see no reason rejoining an instance is not possible.

i think the technical possibilities for arenanet should already be there. if you enter a group and then the fractal portal in lions arch the game also recognises that the group is inside the portal instance together. so it should be possible to join a group inside a running story instance as well.

Yeah, my wife and I just had the same issue earlier, and it would be the third time it's happened to us on Season 3 story missions, and maybe the 6th time for myself.Always after the boss fights toward mission end when npcs are talking.Except this last time, when we got booted our entire internet got throttled and we're still trying to figure out what's up.So it might be both client-side and server-side? It feels like we got data-bombed and our bandwidth couldn't handle it.

I found a different solution which also worked for me: go to graphics settings and limit fps to 30. Keep your graphics card busy during dialogue sequences by moving, jumping, using skills. This helped me a lot in various story missions and dungeons too where previously I always got a dc.

i get alot of diconnects too, to me it seems to happen alot if during a dialogue in th story i chat with friends, but the moment my character doesnt move for like 5-10 secodns i get DC'd, so during a story i always move around during the chatting, this seem to help most of the time.