[Suggestion] Scouting and tagging — Guild Wars 2 Forums

[Suggestion] Scouting and tagging

Inoki.6048Inoki.6048 Member ✭✭✭

Not sure about servers I haven't been to (not a bandwagoner, only transferred once, recently), based on own experience there's a lack of scouts and havoc groups. I would propose for a universal way to scouting and offer a suggestion based on what I do which many have found useful in-game.

What I do when I roam with my DE is I tag up with a white tag (neutral colour) looking for enemy blobs. Whenever I spot a group I change the colour of my tag depending on the colour of the opposing faction (either red, green or blue) and follow them around the map to report back about enemy position, numbers, possibly roster if conditions allow it.

I see no flaw in this system since the implementation of multiple tag colours and more tag colours could be added in the near future. It would only seem reasonable for a universal system of this kind become a standard.

What say you?

Comments

  • Strider Pj.2193Strider Pj.2193 Member ✭✭✭✭

    We havoc on our server and usually PM the commander. But I like your idea, especially if your server works within that. I like the idea for a solo to do that.

  • Inoki.6048Inoki.6048 Member ✭✭✭

    @Strider Pj.2193 said:
    We havoc on our server and usually PM the commander. But I like your idea, especially if your server works within that. I like the idea for a solo to do that.

    Thank you. I also usually lock my squad so people cannot join and occasionally /m that people should not attempt to follow my tag since I only scout. This way you'd see more white tags on the map but you would also know where exactly your scouts are and the moment one pops a different colour you got enemy movement and know how to adjust.

  • Hmm, I have any idea of pretty easy solution. People should be able to tag enemy players/siege, etc, and would receive participation, exp, and reveal it on the map for others. Boom, that's it. Suddenly scouting becomes viable and desirable.

    Also, update the kitten minimap. I have no idea why cant I see position of allies that are out of sight on the map (but can enemies when they meet a sentry). Also, why not have the dots based on server color. Why are all allies green and all enemies red instead of Blure/green/red.

  • Blodeuyn.2751Blodeuyn.2751 Member ✭✭✭

    As a scout myself, I'd love to have a special tag just for scouts. Maybe an "S" or a ❤, just something not commander. I do a good job of keeping mat chat informed, but with your idea people could see me working the map.

    Blodeuyn Tylwyth
    Quaggan OP [QOP], League of Extraordinary Siegers [LEXS]
    I'm battling cancer again. Highly aggressive salivary gland carcinoma. They can take my facial nerve, but they can never take my freedom!

  • Inoki.6048Inoki.6048 Member ✭✭✭

    @Blodeuyn.2751 said:
    As a scout myself, I'd love to have a special tag just for scouts. Maybe an "S" or a ❤, just something not commander. I do a good job of keeping mat chat informed, but with your idea people could see me working the map.

    Sure, whatever variants are possible. I also thought of adding some custom tags, but I based my idea on what we currently have at disposal.

  • Strider Pj.2193Strider Pj.2193 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Blodeuyn.2751 said:
    As a scout myself, I'd love to have a special tag just for scouts. Maybe an "S" or a ❤, just something not commander. I do a good job of keeping mat chat informed, but with your idea people could see me working the map.

    Maybe the Catmander? Don't know how much it is used on your server.

  • Blodeuyn.2751Blodeuyn.2751 Member ✭✭✭

    @Strider Pj.2193 said:

    @Blodeuyn.2751 said:
    As a scout myself, I'd love to have a special tag just for scouts. Maybe an "S" or a ❤, just something not commander. I do a good job of keeping mat chat informed, but with your idea people could see me working the map.

    Maybe the Catmander? Don't know how much it is used on your server.

    Catmander is used too much on my current server, though I'm likely to change servers this Friday (looking for new home, posted in Looking For Guild). I'd really prefer something special for scouts that's not a commander tag at all. I do not want people following me. :)

    The current tags do work, but I personally do not use them. Very good idea though!

    Blodeuyn Tylwyth
    Quaggan OP [QOP], League of Extraordinary Siegers [LEXS]
    I'm battling cancer again. Highly aggressive salivary gland carcinoma. They can take my facial nerve, but they can never take my freedom!

  • Strider Pj.2193Strider Pj.2193 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Blodeuyn.2751 said:

    @Strider Pj.2193 said:

    @Blodeuyn.2751 said:
    As a scout myself, I'd love to have a special tag just for scouts. Maybe an "S" or a ❤, just something not commander. I do a good job of keeping mat chat informed, but with your idea people could see me working the map.

    Maybe the Catmander? Don't know how much it is used on your server.

    Catmander is used too much on my current server, though I'm likely to change servers this Friday (looking for new home, posted in Looking For Guild). I'd really prefer something special for scouts that's not a commander tag at all. I do not want people following me. :)

    The current tags do work, but I personally do not use them. Very good idea though!

    Ahhh. Good Luck in your search!

  • Jana.6831Jana.6831 Member ✭✭✭

    Oh my, complicated systems here - why are you guys doing that? Genuine question.
    I usually called enemies out. I didn't follow them, I mostly knew were they were headed.
    But the amount of kitten one gets for calling enemies out is mind boggeling, yes. "5 XY OW, gate 50%" Commander: "I don't care" ... Commander: "I'm not coming" ....
    Yeah, lets just discuss this out and I expect the blob to come when I call stuff out, aight? But sadly the havoc/roamers died out with the non balance and with the pips. So in theory the blob would've to come for 5.

    the gentle art of making enemies.

  • Actually yes; a scout tag would be absolutely excellent. I like this idea. Now to let the devs know this would help us tremendously, and conspire with them to let us have it without marketing hearing about it and making the S tag only being available in BL chests, or for 1800 gems, or for 300 gold + map completion or something.

  • Strider Pj.2193Strider Pj.2193 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @diamondgirl.6315 said:
    Actually yes; a scout tag would be absolutely excellent. I like this idea. Now to let the devs know this would help us tremendously, and conspire with them to let us have it without marketing hearing about it and making the S tag only being available in BL chests, or for 1800 gems, or for 300 gold + map completion or something.

    Maybe it could be like a mentor tag from PvE which I think only costs masteries?

    Make it relate to the WvW masteries?

  • DemonSeed.3528DemonSeed.3528 Member ✭✭✭✭

    A scout tag seems something nice - and maybe an icon that shows if a certain number (eg 5-10) from your server are within a certain radius on map or like a heartbeat ping to show where the action is (not spawn obviously but there may be problems with afk people - I guess that can be fixed by displaying only in enemy territories) which may help newer players know where to go when there are no comms on. This could be another way to motivate, or attract people that might not know what they are doing or where people are or just want to know where the action is. If something like this is implemented they have to also consider the clutter problem but I think it would not be too bad.

  • Strider Pj.2193Strider Pj.2193 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Ooo. Clutter. Yeah, having like 15 scout tags on a map might be a little overkill. But I guess that risk is run with commander tags now also.

  • juno.1840juno.1840 Member ✭✭✭

    I don't play a thief -- I wish I had the skillz to do so, but sadly I don't.

    That being said, I really enjoy the dynamic DJ brings to open world. It forces players to play better -- in other words, adapt.

    Seeing a glass cannon go down on my own team due to DJ always makes me laugh. The player at fault there was the out-of-position glass cannon.

    If you continue to have issues dying to DJ, then tank up a bit until you figure it out.

  • DemonSeed.3528DemonSeed.3528 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Strider Pj.2193 said:
    Ooo. Clutter. Yeah, having like 15 scout tags on a map might be a little overkill. But I guess that risk is run with commander tags now also.

    That's true - but it would also be a nice possibility to encourage more people to scout as well.

  • diamondgirl.6315diamondgirl.6315 Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 24, 2017

    @Strider Pj.2193 said:

    @diamondgirl.6315 said:
    Actually yes; a scout tag would be absolutely excellent. I like this idea. Now to let the devs know this would help us tremendously, and conspire with them to let us have it without marketing hearing about it and making the S tag only being available in BL chests, or for 1800 gems, or for 300 gold + map completion or something.

    Maybe it could be like a mentor tag from PvE which I think only costs masteries?

    Make it relate to the WvW masteries?

    I like that. Show a little time spent in wvw in order to get it. Maybe you need tier one of a few of the achievements to get it or something.

    EDIT; there are 16 WvW achievements... perhaps if a player finishes Tier 2 of 5/16 or 10/16 of the wvw achievements, they become eligible to get a scout tag, something like that? It would indicate to commanders that this person has at least seen some wvw play.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.