computer flat out shutting down

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Exstazik.5847 said:Yesterday I've changed my PSU to the new one as most ppl says it's almost always PSU issue. Tested game with it today and guess what? I've got random system restart in the Deset Highlands map. So it wasn't my PSU after all. Well, i'm about to give up with it...

Sorry to hear that, but contrary to what some here would have you believe, this issue has existed in GW2 pretty much since launch and has never been nailed down to a single definitive cause. Driver version or GW2 patch sets can sometimes make it better or worse. I started having these crashes at the end of 2012, on a brand new machine. Over the years, what I've seen people report, sometimes a new PSU fixes it, sometimes new memory, sometimes a new video card, sometimes lowering over clocked settings (Which fixed it for me), sometimes changing the power management settings in Windows and/or the nVidia control panel, I've even heard people claim conflicting HD audio drivers causing it (i.e. Realtek vs nVidia). There is no consistent fix and no definitive cause, the only consistent facts most people report, is that it is almost always an nVidia equipped system and it affects GW2 exclusively and no other game or application on their system.

While I've since replaced it as my primary rig, I still have that 2012 machine (My kids are now using it) and it will still have those same crashes if I don't down clock before starting up GW2, but works fine for absolutely everything else they play.

@Exstazik.5847 said:Yesterday I've changed my PSU to the new one as most ppl says it's almost always PSU issue. Tested game with it today and guess what? I've got random system restart in the Deset Highlands map. So it wasn't my PSU after all. Well, i'm about to give up with it...

System restarts are not usually caused by a failing power supply - system shut-downs, on the other hand, can be caused by several things; but the most common cause is a failing power supply. Temperature problems, bad RAM, a failing motherboard and (yes) even a defective hard drive can cause a system to shut down.

Most likely, an error is occurring that would normally result in a bluescreen (BSOD), but your system is set to reboot when that happens. You need to change a setting so you can take a look at the error message. Make a note of the stop code and file name (if listed). This info may help you do that:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/69012-enable-disable-bsod-automatic-restart-windows-10-a.html

General info regarding GPU's:

Sometimes manufacturers make mistakes (like the recent EVGA GTX 1070's with overheating voltage regulators):

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2016/11/evga-prepares-fix-for-overheating-nvidia-gtx-1070-and-gtx-1080s/

Sometimes, a factory overclock is done incorrectly on a GPU - right from the start.

This is why I would prefer that companies stop offering overclocked graphics cards at all. In the past, I've avoided purchasing overclocked GPU's like the plague. Last time I bought a graphics card I made an exception to my rule and went for the overclocked GTX 1060. The reason I did that was because I couldn't find a non-overclocked version that had the same specs I wanted (small size, dual fans, dual DVI connections, good price). Non-overclocked graphics cards are becoming somewhat rare.

When it comes to troubleshooting particular failures - software is [often] not very useful at diagnosing hardware problems. However, if I was going to test for a graphics card failure that occurs only when running a DirectX 9 game, I would use software that runs DX9 tests - not DX10 or DX11 tests. Yes, different versions of DirectX will test different internal transistors of a GPU. This is because instruction sets are hard-coded into microprocessors.

Sometimes hardware failures can behave very strangely. This is why; if you have certain spare components handy (ALL reputable PC repair shops will), it's best to substitute parts when diagnosing failures that are difficult to nail down. Some people might spend a lot of time trying to resolve these issues because they haven't seen some of the weird failures that I have.

It's been 2 weeks since my last crash and I decided to start rolling back changes to see what triggers a crash again. I just crashed after changing the Windows Power Management back to "Balanced" a couple hours ago. I believe the issue for my system is the PCI Express Link State Power Management setting. While in "High Performance" mode the setting is turned to "off". When the Power management is set to "Balanced", the PCI Express Link State Power Management setting is set to "Moderate power savings". Believe this is the issue with Nvidia and Windows I've been hunting/cursing. A quick Googling came up with results for the two and I'm not even going to bother reading them atm. The only other difference between the power modes is High performance keeps the CPU at 100% at all times. While the Balanced setting allows the CPU to throttle to 5%.

So I created a custom Power Plan based on the high performance mode. Then going to change the Minimum processor state to 5%. So I should have the stability and CPU throttling restored. Crossing Fingers it's the fix for me. Only other change is that there was an gw2 update tonight. Which throws a wrench into what caused it but, going with the game not being the issue for now. One change at a time :)

@abomally.2694 said:

Sometimes hardware failures can behave very strangely. This is why; if you have certain spare components handy (ALL reputable PC repair shops will), it's best to substitute parts when diagnosing failures that are difficult to nail down. Some people might spend a lot of time trying to resolve these issues because they haven't seen some of the weird failures that I have.

Everything you said is correct, the trick is reliably reproducing the problem so a repair shop can actually troubleshoot it and determine whether a change actually fixed it. Like most others, outside of GW2, I've never managed to find a way to reproduce the crash at all, much less reliably, on Windows 7 or Windows 10 (Skipped 8). Even on Windows 7 it never went to a BSOD...always either

1. a hard freeze, typically with looped sound, requiring a hard reboot (Reset button won't work)...probably the most common type for me
  2. an instant reboot as if the reset button was pressed
  3. a complete shutdown that required the computer to be started twice, first restart start seems to reinitialize hardware, then the PC shuts back down after a few seconds, the second start starts up the PC. On my machine, this was the least common of the 3 types of crashes. The only other time I've seen this type of crash was when I doing tech support/development for a steel company (Small IT shop where I did all the hardware and wrote the software) and the computer case received a large static shock. Metal chair and metal desk and it would arc between them when they touched and cause the computer to immediately shut off. I ended up tethering the chair and desk together with a wire to keep them at the same potential...which also save me from getting wicked static shocks.

...and nothing ever truly useful in the Windows event logs...just a generic nVidia error. If they can't reproduce it and hardware passes their testing and it only happens in a single application, EVERY reputable shop will tell you it's the software. The last time I took it in, I left it with them for 8 days and they put it though all their testing rigs and could not reproduce the crash or find any hardware faults. Now, I don't think that it's entirely the software, but I think we can agree that ANet is doing "something" that most other developers are not that is triggering a hardware fault most other developers seem to avoid, which makes it particularly problematic to debug. So short of giving the shop your GW2 password and seeing if they can reproduce the error that way, what else can be done? It's really the only option if you can find a trustworthy tech. It's actually against the privacy policy with the shop I deal with. They weren't allowed to take my password. I offered. Even then though, the duration between crashes can vary wildly from several hours to seconds. One guy in this thread said it went away for 2 days before returning. On my machine I've seen as much as 6 consecutive hours (Basically a full evening), but that was not typical. More typical, it was between 20-120 minutes. The other issue, of course, is that if you are not under warranty, paying for the type of support required to diagnose this can get expensive fast since it requires a great deal time and baby sitting of the machine. Between gas (Since it's a 4 hour round trip for me) and paying for tech support I've spent probably $400-$500 unsuccessfully trying to get it resolved, and they're one of the largest PC tech support shops in Edmonton.

I have the same problem with GW2 restarting my computer and so I upgraded everything -- CPU, RAM, GPU, PSU, etc. even the case. I also ran diagnosis and benchmark and everything is fine. However, when I run GW2, it will crash in a specific place -- I think it was in the Maguuma map.

Then I found out that my CPU fan is failing and causing the CPU to heat up so fast that the software that supposed to monitor for heat hasn't even updated before restarting my computer. After replacing my CPU fan and added more fans to my case for ventilation, I never had the problem anymore.

Yes, I spend a lot of money upgrading the hardware and it was the CPU fan all along.

Minimum processor state> @Sir Vincent III.1286 said:

I have the same problem with GW2 restarting my computer and so I upgraded everything -- CPU, RAM, GPU, PSU, etc. even the case. I also ran diagnosis and benchmark and everything is fine. However, when I run GW2, it will crash in a specific place -- I think it was in the Maguuma map.

Then I found out that my CPU fan is failing and causing the CPU to heat up so fast that the software that supposed to monitor for heat hasn't even updated before restarting my computer. After replacing my CPU fan and added more fans to my case for ventilation, I never had the problem anymore.

Yes, I spend a lot of money upgrading the hardware and it was the CPU fan all along.

Also sounds like the cooler had/has poor contact with the CPU lid. Either that or you should have a CPU cooler with far more mass. Even without the fan, a cooler should be able to absorb the thermal load passively. Spikes occurring in less than a couple seconds shouldn't occur.

Adding more fans is great for redundancy. Try to make certain you have a continuous flow pattern throughout the case with the fans in a push-pull fashion. You can place higher flow fans on the intake side with filters. This creates positive pressure in the case and prevents the infiltration of dust from any seems, gaps, or holes. Also don't oversize the case.

I've been having a similar issue, where my computer shuts down while playing gw2, for about one month. I did the usual (this is not the first time I've had to troubleshoot a pc) tempurature checks and everything is OK (nothing above 60 celsius). I even re-installed my CPU and GPU coolers to make sure. I then proceeded to do some benchmarks (prime95, memtest, furmark) but none have been showing any sign errors.

Tonight I've managed to successfully recreate this crash (twice!) using OCCT on "power supply" mode and I suggest that you all give it a try. Something is certainly going wrong with our PSU's!

Also if you want to monitor/log tempuratures and voltages, try out speedfan.

@OllieLaSouris.9521 said:I've been having a similar issue, where my computer shuts down while playing gw2, for about one month. I did the usual (this is not the first time I've had to troubleshoot a pc) tempurature checks and everything is OK (nothing above 60 celsius). I even re-installed my CPU and GPU coolers to make sure. I then proceeded to do some benchmarks (prime95, memtest, furmark) but none have been showing any sign errors.

Tonight I've managed to successfully recreate this crash (twice!) using OCCT on "power supply" mode and I suggest that you all give it a try. Something is certainly going wrong with our PSU's!

Also if you want to monitor/log tempuratures and voltages, try out speedfan.

Does OCCT give you a log or tell you what it did or what the fault was? Have you replaced the PSU and have the GW2 crash go away? What, if any, messages in the Windows Event Log are you receiving at the time of the crash? Do those messages match between the OCCT crash and GW2 crash? I still find it peculiar that in pretty much all cases, GW2 is the only trigger. We've also had many people who've replaced their PSU and not had the problem go away, Exstazik and Sir Vincent III, just in the last few postings. I wonder if OCCT is managing to stress the PSU in to a crash, but ultimately unrelated to the GW2 problem.

Let's review -

"1. a hard freeze, typically with looped sound, requiring a hard reboot (Reset button won't work)...probably the most common type for me"

Probable causes - GPU, RAM, CPU overheating, motherboard or power supply.

The one thing that stands out to me here is that the reset button won't work. Both 'power' and 'reset' are motherboard functions. They work even if no CPU has been installed (yes, it's true, you can test it yourself). They do require a functioning power supply to work though. The reset function is usually controlled by a watchdog/reset chip on the mobo. All processors, RAM and ROM chips have a reset pin that is activated by the reset function. All RAM data and addresses are reset to zero (cleared). The same occurs with the CPU and its registers.

"2. an instant reboot as if the reset button was pressed"

This is probably the result of a BSOD - Windows will reboot unless the setting has been changed. Certainly could be a power supply issue.

"3. a complete shutdown that required the computer to be started twice, first restart start seems to reinitialize hardware, then the PC shuts back down after a few seconds, the second start starts up the PC."

A complete shutdown is usually either power supply failure OR overheating. But it can be almost ANY piece of hardware, including the motherboard or hard drive. Yes, code exists that can shut a computer down, but why would ArenaNet include it in Guild Wars2? Why would any game maker do that? If they did, this would occur for everyone that plays the game. That makes no sense at all. Since they did not do that - this is a hardware problem. There is no question about it.

A bad power supply could be the problem, or there could be other hardware that's loading down the power supply when the failure occurs. I'm leaning towards the latter in this case because of everything you've mentioned about the problem. Generally when power supplies start to fail they just get worse until they die completely.

I thought that you stated earlier that the issue starts "within a few minutes"; but later you said that you can play for hours without the issue occurring. Maybe I'm confused about which computer you're referring to (yours or the kid's).

OK - some things to try:

When the game is running - use the [plastic] back of a screwdriver to tap on the RAM. Do the same for the GPU (top). I mean, don't hammer on them but don't be too light either. If the failure happens, restart and try it again. If tapping on the RAM does it - be very careful - it can corrupt data on the hard drive. One reason it took me a long time to diagnose the physically intermittent RAM problem on my friend's computer was because I booted with Hiren's Boot CD every time, so that I could avoid potentially corrupting data on the hard drive:

hiren's boot cd download

With the machine off; I would make sure that all of the screws are tight (motherboard, power supply, etc.); all cables are tight and the GPU screw(s) is firmly tightened down - this way everything is properly grounded.

If you have heat sink compound (such as Arctic Silver), redo the CPU paste, clean all the fans and make sure they seem to be working properly.

Remove and re-seat ALL cards - GPU, RAM, network and sound cards (if you have them).

Make sure you don't run anything heavy intensive programs with GW2 I just run chrome and GW2 and that's it. I also run a cooling pad on my laptop on my desk. I had one laptop melt I could hear stuff in the laptop get loose and rattle once it stopped powering up due to gaming. Having a laptop on your lap might cause too much stress on the fan or increase heat or maybe be in a place without good airflow. Maybe it's not good to play during peak heat hours especially now that the game is more cpu intensive.

@Leamas.5803 said:Does OCCT give you a log or tell you what it did or what the fault was? Have you replaced the PSU and have the GW2 crash go away? What, if any, messages in the Windows Event Log are you receiving at the time of the crash? Do those messages match between the OCCT crash and GW2 crash? I still find it peculiar that in pretty much all cases, GW2 is the only trigger. We've also had many people who've replaced their PSU and not had the problem go away, Exstazik and Sir Vincent III, just in the last few postings. I wonder if OCCT is managing to stress the PSU in to a crash, but ultimately unrelated to the GW2 problem.

I get no errors from Windows Event Log before the crash. I get errors after the crash stating that the last shut down was unexpected, with both OCCT and GW2.I've done more testing on my current hardware (will list specs) and GPU testing with OCCT also seems cause crashes, although it takes slightly more time . edit: the gpu test also needs to be set at the highest intensity, or else no crash.

Current specs:

• i7 4790, with a zalman cnps8900 cooler
  • 4gb x 2 ddr3 1333 mushkin ram
  • nvidia gtx 760, from evga
  • Seasonic G series 650 watt
  • Gigabyte GA-Z97N wifi mini-itx motherboard
  • corsair 250D case
  • 3 SSD's, 250gb Adata sx900, 500gb Intel, 120gb Samsung evo
  • 1 tb Western Digital Caviar Green HDD

GW2 is installed on the samsung ssd (it's the only thing on it along with GW1). GW2 also used to be on the intel SSD when crashes first started. I moved it and the crashes still occur. Temps are fine and RAM was tested for about 10 hours with memtest86, no errors.

I am in the process of trying out an older video card (gtx 570) and an older PSU (corsair tx650) that I already have, I will come back with results.

update:

I crash even faster with my old gtx 570! Much faster! 5 seconds into OCCT default GPU test! (still using the seasonic PSU) Never had a problem with this card before.

2nd update:

No crashes yet using my gtx 570 and my old PSU. Seems my problem might really be the seasonic PSU. Will put my gtx 760 back in, with my corsair PSU. If the seasonic PSU truly is at fault here, I'm going to have to install a non modular PSU in my mini-ITX case...what a joy!

3rd update:

No crashes in OCCT using my old PSU and gtx 760, maxing out cpu, gpu and ram simultaneously. I'll go try GW2 using this setup.

@abomally.2694 said:I thought that you stated earlier that the issue starts "within a few minutes"; but later you said that you can play for hours without the issue occurring. Maybe I'm confused about which computer you're referring to (yours or the kid's).

This is on the old computer my kids now use, 3930k i7 processor, eVGA gtx670, 16gb RAM, Corsair Pro Series Gold AX 1200W PSU. My new PC is a 7700k i7 processor, eVGA gtx1080, 800w PSU, I think (Don't remember the make), 16gb RAM and it doesn't have this issue.

No, I said it's random. It can range from seconds to hours, like most others who have this or similar issues. In all the years owning the computer it has only ever happened in GW2. In my case it goes away if I down clock the GPU, so I use nVidia Inspector to quickly change the clocks back and forth. I played the entirety of HoT on that PC down clocked and not a single crash. We don't have to down clock for anything else the kids play, such as Garry's Mod, L4D2, Outlast, Minecraft, Roblox, Terraria, among others. I've put hundreds of hours in to Skyrim and the only crashes I've had here were due to bad mods and too many save files (And the plethora of bugs that always come with Bethesda games). Many hours in to L4D2, HL2, Alien: Isolation, Wolffenstein: The New Order, Darksiders, Bioshock Infinite, Portal 2, FFXIV, ESO and many others. Never this kind of crash. As far as games or apps go, it's unique to GW2, at least on that machine.

I don't dispute that it's hardware, but there is something VERY specific that ANet is doing that most other developers are not that is triggering a crash on said hardware, or perhaps something they're not doing that most other developers are doing to prevent it, either way, the end result is the same. Years ago, I read on the nVidia forum that one of the GTA games is/was also plagued with this issue, but I don't have any of them to test it as I don't like them. May have been the eVGA forum too, I've spent a lot of time on both over the years.

@Leamas.5803 said:eVGA gtx670

I'm going to guess it's a Superclocked or FTW version? The EVGA factory OC'ing plus Nvidia boost brings some cards up to 20-25% over clocks. Which is hitting ridiculous levels of OC'ing. Since it's EVGA, I'd download EVGA Precision and use that to tweak settings. For a 670, I'd down clock by 50mhz and bring up the voltage to 1.012. There was a bios update from EVGA for that card. You can find it on the EVGA forums. It's likely not going to help the GW2 issue though.

Have you cleaned the cache and local.dat? My wall of text above from Oct 18th has more info. Once the game creates a new Local.dat, I copy and paste the file into the same folder to create a duplicate. This way I can rename and run off duplicates and not have to worry about putting in my login info again and again.

@DeWolfe.2174 said:

@Leamas.5803 said:eVGA gtx670

I'm going to guess it's a Superclocked or FTW version? The EVGA factory OC'ing plus Nvidia boost brings some cards up to 20-25% over clocks. Which is hitting ridiculous levels of OC'ing. Since it's EVGA, I'd download EVGA Precision and use that to tweak settings. For a 670, I'd down clock by 50mhz and bring up the voltage to 1.012. There was a bios update from EVGA for that card. You can find it on the EVGA forums. It's likely not going to help the GW2 issue though.

Have you cleaned the cache and local.dat? My wall of text above from Oct 18th has more info. Once the game creates a new Local.dat, I copy and paste the file into the same folder to create a duplicate. This way I can rename and run off duplicates and not have to worry about putting in my login info again and again.

Yes, it is a SC version. As abomally pointed out, it's getting hard to find cards that are not factory overclocked, was the same then. In general, I've always had good luck with eVGA cards and have been using eVGA since the 200 series, when I switched over from ATI. I had installed BIOS updates current to about 2 years ago, which did not help. In my case the WIndows event log indicated an nVidia problem with an nvlddmkm.sys crash right before the system crash. Down clocking the GPU completely fixed the crashing, but I also went heavy and reduced the clocks by a full 15% I think. GW2 does not require a super powerful GPU and is more CPU dependent and the 3930k is more than sufficient, so it was still plenty to run the game pretty much maxed out for graphics. As for cache and dat file(s), I've gone so far as doing a full clean install of GW2, on a fresh clean install of Windows, meaning putting a clean GW2 on immediately after Windows install and updates finishes.

Hello everyone

Here is an update from my side.I return my PC to the retailer with my testing results and they could not find any problems related to my PC.I am aware any retailer docent do any real testing (From my perspective). I took contact with MSI my self and demanded that they took it in for a closer look.They could not find any problems with my PC hardware or conflicting software what-so-ever..
So now I am putting this on ArenaNets table to take a look on there program. I've now done what i can has cost me 3 weeks with support and shipping here and there.

Same here, tech ppl cannot find any problems with my PC after i've send it for diagnostic. Interesting detail that all (or almost all, as i see) people with this issue, including me, have MSI's GPUs or MSI laptops...And it's almost always 10XX series. I've played GW2 on MSI GTX980 (with factory OC) without any single problem, then on manually overclocked GTX1060 from GIGABYTE for almost a year - again without single problem. And right after i've changed it to MSI GTX1080 those issues started.

@Morfedel.4165 said:Since this last update a little earlier tonight, my desktop flat out shuts down after a minute or so of play. My laptop isnt doing this, so I suspect it has something to do with the graphics card, but still, this is awful, flat out shutting down my computer.

Whats worse, this is the second time this has happened with my computer with GW2 after an update. I can't quite recall when the last one was, but it wasnt quite that long ago (before PoF though).

I'm going to try and update my graphics driver and will update the success or failure of that, but I have to say, this is very frustrating.

gw2 has pretty high cpu use if you use a program to track you cpu temperature you can see this clearly, maybe its overheating since you comp will auto shutdown when cpu reaches a certain temperature.

@Qristus.9421 said:Hello everyone

Here is an update from my side.I return my PC to the retailer with my testing results and they could not find any problems related to my PC.I am aware any retailer docent do any real testing (From my perspective). I took contact with MSI my self and demanded that they took it in for a closer look.They could not find any problems with my PC hardware or conflicting software what-so-ever..

So now I am putting this on ArenaNets table to take a look on there program. I've now done what i can has cost me 3 weeks with support and shipping here and there.

This is a common story. I brought mine in to tech support 3 times.

@Exstazik.5847 said:Same here, tech ppl cannot find any problems with my PC after i've send it for diagnostic. Interesting detail that all (or almost all, as i see) people with this issue, including me, have MSI's GPUs or MSI laptops...And it's almost always 10XX series. I've played GW2 on MSI GTX980 (with factory OC) without any single problem, then on manually overclocked GTX1060 from GIGABYTE for almost a year - again without single problem. And right after i've changed it to MSI GTX1080 those issues started.

It's not just MSI, eVGA can be bad for it as well. You almost always see a 10xx series card because that's what's current today. I have a 670 with the same issue and it has been a problem with pretty much every generation of nVidia cards since at least the 400 series. Back 3-4 years ago when I actively trying to find a cause, rather than a band-aid, I remember seeing forum postings about this that were already years old at that point, and it's always one specific game. Apparently one of the GTA games was also notorious for this type of crash. I can say for sure, that it pretty much exclusively affects nVidia cards and for most who report it on this forum, it pretty much affects GW2 exclusively. I don't think I ever remember seeing anyone reporting this issue with an ATi card.

I did notice over the weekend that while doing the JP in Draconis Mons I was getting framerate drops and later during the same session, just standing at the bank in Rata Sum, not even moving around, I was getting a consistent 9fps...a far cry from the 100-150fps I typically get. I had to exit the game and go back to clear it up. That is with an eVGA gtx1080 that doesn't even hit 60C running GW2, liquid cooled Intel i7-7700k processor, 16gb of RAM and GW2 installed on a 6Gbps M.2 drive. Given the meager system requirement for GW2, this system should barely be working. ANet is doing something in GW2, that most other developers are not, something that's not using the hardware properly, and/or not releasing resources properly.

The higher you try to push FPS, the higher the CPU load will be. I never let a game just free spin and always have a maximum FPS set. You really won't notice if GW2 is set to 60fps but, your system will be MUCH happier for it. Even 30 fps is barely noticeable at all. If anything, I notice varying FPS more than a static lower FPS.

@DeWolfe.2174 said:The higher you try to push FPS, the higher the CPU load will be. I never let a game just free spin and always have a maximum FPS set. You really won't notice if GW2 is set to 60fps but, your system will be MUCH happier for it. Even 30 fps is barely noticeable at all. If anything, I notice varying FPS more than a static lower FPS.

That is a good point. They claim the human eye can't see beyond 24fps, which is why TV signals used to be coded this way (PAL - 24fps, NTSC - 30fps, but interlaced, so effectively about the same as PAL). I don't know how much truth there is to that, but I can say for sure, that if I'm panning quickly or doing something that requires a lot of precision, like the clock tower or Skipping Stones JPs, you really feel the difference between 30fps and 60fps. 30fps is actually quite jarring visually. Beyond 60fps, it's more about whether the hardware can keep up with the speed of the video or not. Now, this is typically more important for movies where you'll get artifacting if the hardware can't keep up. For games, unless you're doing stereoscopic rendering, most games don't have that kind of fast motion. When it comes to movies, things with a lot of fast action can require much higher frame rates/refresh rates. When buying a new TV, the movie Speed Racer is the ultimate test to see if it can keep up.

It should also be noted, as well, that there isn't a whole lot of point in having the frame rate unlimited if the refresh on your monitor is 60Hz since the monitor won't be able to render it faster than 60fps, which means the computer has to spend extra cycles to down-sample the video. 60Hz for monitors, is fairly standard, unless you specifically go looking for a monitor that with do 120Hz, or higher. Monitors that have a higher native refresh rate also tend to be quite a bit more expensive, starting at about $450cad for 27" at 1080p.

Just came back to report that i finnaly resolved my issue with random PC restarts in GW2. After all it was my GPU. Sent it for another diacnostics and they found that GPU was faulty. RMA'ed it and testing with new GPU and GW2 for 10 days and many hours now and haven't got a single crash.Too bad that i wasted some money on new PSU and even going to buy new mobo, but fortunately found real problem before making that mistake.

One lesson i've learned : my problems started right after i installed new GPU and i SHOULD suspect GPU from the beginning, instead of searching problems in other components and replacing 'em.Good luck to everyone and hope you'll resolve your issues too.