Upcoming Balance Update - Page 3 — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Upcoming Balance Update

Comments

• @mtpelion.4562 said:
    I really wish that ArenaNet had never tried to go for the esports thing. Just give us basic PvP deathmatches where there are no stats and a small list of premade specs for each profession. I'd find that a LOT more enjoyable. Plus all the "pro PvPers" would never have brought their "no-fun" approach to gaming here in the first place.

Casual elitism is the most hilarious thing I ever see in games. How dare they want to take the game seriously and work to improve their skill and ranking. I very much dislike mmo PvP and how literally only sPvP players are complaining about the patch timing, but this post is just outright terrible.

Permanently Embiggened

• troops.8276troops.8276 Member ✭✭✭

@ProtoGunner.4953 said:
    Why is imbalance such an issue? Just play and have fun, it's really not a big deal. If your beloved class sucks atm just play what is good atm. Man, chill or go play other games for a couple of weeks...

Maybe it's more the straw that broke the camels back. Balance changes the playstyle regardless of if one changes class or not. If the meta is not fun then all is vain. And it is after all part of a product that people paid for. "World class pvp" is how Anet describes it on the website.

• @Burnfall.9573 said:

@Reaper Alim.4176 said:

@Chaotic.9742 said:
    Glad there’s Destiny to play in the meantime...

I'm glad there is Smite, Eve Online, and ESO to play in the meantime. Made some amazing progress on my ESO account.

Warframe, Dota 2, B&S, SWTOR, LOL, Paragon-Epic Games......

FFXIV is one of the main game many of us former gw2 players are playing: always welcome to join :)
    Friendly and healthy community and environment: you will not be disappointed.

alas,

Competitive games the way to go ^*^

What's elder scrolls like from your opinion?

This is the only mmo I ever played, 5 years now and I think I'm finally hitting my limit not just with the game but the company, the community and even these forums.

I need an alternative but I do not like change.

• ProtoGunner.4953ProtoGunner.4953 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 1, 2017

Imho balance is okay, but people who constantly complain are generally just not good at the class they play. It's the same with high tier fight games like Street Fighter where the little edge you get through a small advantage doesn't make a bad player better. A horrible Ryu fighter is still worse than a pro Dan player - by a large margin.

• Lain.5179Lain.5179 Member ✭✭

Gg anet. And here I thought I would have some time to experiment with the new amulets and the new balance. Nope, this whole off season period just became a complete waste of time.
    Thanks. Stellar work as always. You made an amazing game with amazing combat and now you don't care anymore or something. Sad. This could be a big pvp game.

• I hope you guys also fix the dismount bugs for several classes like daredevils, and... I want to say firebrand, but I don't remember. But I know there are several classes that 'lose' something when they dismount.

• @Blaeys.3102 said:
    Specifically in raids, they need to do something to tone down reliance on having alacrity, quickness and 25 might stacks 100% of the time. Nerf the abilities that allow groups to accomplish this - maybe even put in debuff mechanics similar to revealed to make it impossible to achieve - and make up for it in other ways (increased damage for the lesser used professions).

No, no, no. Nerfs solve absolutely nothing without buffs in other areas to offset them. Merely reducing the effectiveness of boons and class-specific buffs affects everyone across the board equally in the worst of ways. The meta would not go away; it would just become worse and make raids needlessly more time-consuming while still being the best tactic available. The real reason raid meta is stagnant is a heavy focus on constant passive buffs in the way of druid guardians and PS warriors combined with the archaic limit of these buffs only affecting 5 players at a time. What needs to happen is having abilities buffed to effect 10 people at a time in PvE while slightly reducing the buffs the braindead passives give. This way you wouldn't need to mirror the support slots, opening up 3 more positions for DPS or hybrid support builds to fill gaps.

Just buffing the lower tier DPS builds in no way helps solve a straight-nerf problem, because boons affect EVERYONE. It's not like they'd be put in 40k territory, they'd just be brought up to par with the 32-36k crowd, which therein would lead to no net increase.

Permanently Embiggened

• Well another week with zero reason to play GW2....

• Klypto.1703Klypto.1703 Member ✭✭✭

They gonna replace the charr ghosts with ascalonian ones so they live longer. Or either have the charr ones drive in charr cars around you so you have some laughs but still not be able to use renegade lol.

• Joxer.6024Joxer.6024 Member ✭✭✭

@Cuon Alpinus.7645 said:

What needs to happen is having abilities buffed to effect 10 people at a time in PvE while slightly reducing the buffs the braindead passives give. This way you wouldn't need to mirror the support slots, opening up 3 more positions for DPS or hybrid support builds to fill gaps.

That right there! Just a simple adjustment to the abilities as mentioned and its a win for all, and like said 3 more spots! how is that not a good thing and it doesn't really offset or unbalance anything, just makes them a tad better. If only ANET could do that I reckon simple programming same as they did with banners and people happy, hopefully. :#

• Brutaly.6257Brutaly.6257 Member ✭✭✭

Will you fix underpowered weapons in this patch as well and not just utility skills/traits?

• Nemmar.8491Nemmar.8491 Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 31, 2017

Well, i want to say thank you to Gaile and the devs as well.
    I honestly had no idea when the patch was coming. So, for me this was a notice that that is next week, wich was more than i knew before. ^^

I actually returned to the game a few months ago after being a huge fan of the original GW and having a disappointing impression with GW2 at the start. But, seeing Gaile again sure brings back some fun Q&A and conga memories in old LA. :)

• Rap Tiger.1257Rap Tiger.1257 Member ✭✭
    edited October 31, 2017

I expect Arenanet to worry about delivering buff to Soulbeast and Renegade which are the classes I least see in PvP, also need to increase to 15s fullcounter f2 Spellbreaker cooldown, do good damage, apply stun, transfer conditions while Soulbeast needs to wait 10s to switch from pet and absorbs the same? Even more do not understand why Arenanet does not let us take the total attributes as it is in beastmastery or that it affects the pet in some way like in trait.

Our second line of trait is useless if we do not use protection, poison or quickness ..... seriously I hope that Arenanet next week do at least something of value, had a lot of time to balance, this game needs to take balance seriously. How many other classes do I see that are balanced.

• Vagrant.7206Vagrant.7206 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 31, 2017

@Ayumi Spender.1082 said:

@troops.8276 said:

@TheOrlyFactor.8341 said:

Wait. The balance would be just for PvP? Because I have 0 cares on the competitive part of this game.

Same. I imagine that's where a lot of this rage is coming from. Really wish it would stay in the PvP section because this part of the forums has enough of its own bitterness to contend with. :x

I know it's weird right?
    What was all ways going to be an obviously unpopular announcement with the pvp community,
    Delivered in a very unapologetic way,
    By a highly experienced mod,
    In the main forum.

I cynical person might start reading things into that....good thing there's a strong community spirit here that goes well beyond the borders of pve v pvp.

I mainly asked as the only ones I'm hearing complain are about PvP and season this and season that.
    Which is why I'm curious.

Sorry I don't know how Arenanet does these whole balance patches or what they do them around, but that's why I'm curious if it's a pvp thing or an overall thing.

Because prior to the most recent announcement, ANet generally timed their balance patches to land in the off-seasons of PvP, so competitive players had time to try out new things (or revamp old specs) before entering the season. Now that the balance patch is landing right as the season starts, they're effectively causing chaos in the PvP season. We won't even be able to seriously point out issues with the next balance patch (because there will always be issues) until halfway through to the next patch.

"Balance" as a term doesn't make too much sense outside of the competitive arena as well. In PvE, it's not a big deal to buff underperforming things or nerf overperforming things, as you're just fighting a computer without a sense of fairness. That dynamic changes when you introduce competitive gameplay, however.

The great god Lagki demands sacrifice!

• @shippage.1983 said:
    We really need more frequent, smaller patches. The off-season should be the dev's chance to test balance changes, not right as the season starts! Do they listen to player feedback?

No

• Erulogos.2591Erulogos.2591 Member ✭✭✭

Wait. The balance would be just for PvP? Because I have 0 cares on the competitive part of this game.

Well, balance seems to be an issue to players in the following order: sPvP, WvW, Raids, high end Fractals, general PvE.
    (Yes, this is a fairly broad generalization, but it holds fairly well.)
    It makes sense, balance directly impacts the fun of the game mode for sPvP (seeing class X or Y on another team and knowing you're going to get ROFLstomped no matter what is no fun,) is similar if diluted a little in the zerg ball of WvW, and acts as a barrier of entry to high end PvE (get meta or get lost.)

Personally, as long as they don't nerf my vampire spec (Reaper with tons of bleeds, 10% condi back as heals) for general PvE exploration I'll live. Though I hope my holosmith gets a little love in PvE (I like the damage, not so thrilled with the self harm and/or squishiness even in soldier gear.) But I prize sustain over 'OMG max deeps!' since I'm on my own or world bossing mostly.

@Haishao.6851 said:
    Will you be giving everyone gold so they can switch rune and armor stats every weeks as well?

A big part of why I support methodical, incremental, light-touch balancing. I've put time, gold, and sometimes money into some builds (money for cosmetics, not power, but still.) I don't want that eradicated on a whim. As it is, my gold and transmute charge supplies have been decimated since I've revisted several alts and had to respec them a bit (old zerker meta ele doesn't work so well any more, same with old zerker meta warrior.) This is a bit of why I haven't touched the new elite specs much, as they are most likely to get wrekt by balance patches over the next 3 to 6 months.

@Maugetarr.6823 said:
    Just a quick question. Would it be possible to implement sort of a rotational balancing schedule? Say every week a small balance patch is added for a single class. So we
    have classes 1-9; week 1, class 1 gets some minor buffs/nerfs to numbers (duration, stacks, cd) depending on what's under/overperforming. Week 2 class 2, week 3 class
    3, and so on. So every 9 weeks you end up with all the classes having been adjusted and you get to see how the player base has reacted to the changes, and then week 11
    you implement mechanics changes (traits, weapon skills) to all the classes if a trait proved impossible to balance through number changes. Then 2 weeks after that, at
    week 13 (effectively week 1), it starts all over again. You keep a schedule of all the classes every 3 months and can address problems that pop up faster. If something pops
    up that's game breaking on one class you can swap balancing that specific one for what was scheduled and push everything else back a week.

The big problem I see here is that many balance changes will only be balanced in context with other changes. If you nerf the overperforming damage of class A without doing so to classes B through E, or buffing F through I, it doesn't feel balanced to anyone, you just have a class that was on top of the world feeling slighted and attacked.

If I were setting a balance plan, it would be to have a big balance patch every 3 months, followed a month later by a tweak patch to adjust things that looked better on paper than they do in reality (I say a month because it takes time for the playerbase to adjust to changes, sometimes things seem OP or weak they really just need some playstyle adjustments to deal with, so you want to give time for things to settle to see what really is OP etc.)

• Ragnarox.9601Ragnarox.9601 Member ✭✭✭

I am glad so I can use my OP spellbreaker even more in wvw. Thanx.

• Maugetarr.6823Maugetarr.6823 Member ✭✭✭

@Maugetarr.6823 said:
    Just a quick question. Would it be possible to implement sort of a rotational balancing schedule? Say every week a small balance patch is added for a single class. So we
    have classes 1-9; week 1, class 1 gets some minor buffs/nerfs to numbers (duration, stacks, cd) depending on what's under/overperforming. Week 2 class 2, week 3 class
    3, and so on. So every 9 weeks you end up with all the classes having been adjusted and you get to see how the player base has reacted to the changes, and then week 11
    you implement mechanics changes (traits, weapon skills) to all the classes if a trait proved impossible to balance through number changes. Then 2 weeks after that, at
    week 13 (effectively week 1), it starts all over again. You keep a schedule of all the classes every 3 months and can address problems that pop up faster. If something pops
    up that's game breaking on one class you can swap balancing that specific one for what was scheduled and push everything else back a week.

The big problem I see here is that many balance changes will only be balanced in context with other changes. If you nerf the overperforming damage of class A without doing so to classes B through E, or buffing F through I, it doesn't feel balanced to anyone, you just have a class that was on top of the world feeling slighted and attacked.

If I were setting a balance plan, it would be to have a big balance patch every 3 months, followed a month later by a tweak patch to adjust things that looked better on paper than they do in reality (I say a month because it takes time for the playerbase to adjust to changes, sometimes things seem OP or weak they really just need some playstyle adjustments to deal with, so you want to give time for things to settle to see what really is OP etc.)

Well I can see that classes might feel attacked by it, but that's why it would rotate. It also wouldn't be strictly nerfs, but buffs as well. If something is seriously overperforming or underperfoming, it could be adjusted more quickly in relation to everything else. I can see benefits to doing large patches, but it also can cause wild swings in balance with unintended interactions. That's why I thought it would be a good idea to have minor tweaks throughout the balance period, then hopefully less drastic changes during the 11th week when everything is adjusted. Furthermore if something is thrown out of balance during the general balance patch, they get a couple of weeks to look at it and reign it back in if it is gamebreaking.

• Loosifah.4738Loosifah.4738 Member ✭✭✭

@OriOri.8724 said:
    This is disappointing. I can't believe that Anet is willing to wait so long between balance patches, especially considering the patches, when we do get them, are tiny except for a once a year patch that is decent sized (and that's it, its just decent. We haven't received a major balance patch in years). This is not acceptable ANet, not at all.

It's been 5 weeks and the last week has been full on Halloween festival. Have some patience
    Granted they are generally pretty slow about implementing balance changes; it's a brand new expansion and they've been doing a lot of break fixes lately regarding the expansion.

I would personally rather them actually look into all of the classes and get a good handle on the changes needed before they push out the balance patch. That way we don't end up with one class getting hit with major nerfs while everyone else get's buffed.

• NeroBoron.7285NeroBoron.7285 Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 31, 2017

Thanks for the info :) looking forward to it 😅

• Aeolus.3615Aeolus.3615 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 31, 2017

@Ragnarox.9601 said:
    I am glad so I can use my OP spellbreaker even more in wvw. Thanx.

Probably, or most likelly u will continue to use it after the patch, doubt they actually change that much.

• Menadena.7482Menadena.7482 Member ✭✭✭✭

@ProtoGunner.4953 said:
    Why is imbalance such an issue? Just play and have fun, it's really not a big deal. If your beloved class sucks atm just play what is good atm. Man, chill or go play other games for a couple of weeks...

Which is basically "what was your fave class before POF came out". Not only that there is no guarantee an existing one will not get broken when we get the balance changes/fixes.

New to the game? Feel free to give a yell if you need PVE help.

• Menadena.7482Menadena.7482 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Erulogos.2591 said:

Well, balance seems to be an issue to players in the following order: sPvP, WvW, Raids, high end Fractals, general PvE.
    (Yes, this is a fairly broad generalization, but it holds fairly well.)
    It makes sense, balance directly impacts the fun of the game mode for sPvP (seeing class X or Y on another team and knowing you're going to get ROFLstomped no matter what is no fun,) is similar if diluted a little in the zerg ball of WvW, and acts as a barrier of entry to high end PvE (get meta or get lost.)

Personally, as long as they don't nerf my vampire spec (Reaper with tons of bleeds, 10% condi back as heals) for general PvE exploration I'll live. Though I hope my holosmith gets a little love in PvE (I like the damage, not so thrilled with the self harm and/or squishiness even in soldier gear.) But I prize sustain over 'OMG max deeps!' since I'm on my own or world bossing mostly.

Yes, as long as they do not nerf something in PVE I am good. Fortunately they discovered they do not always need to make changes to every game mode. Where it does matter to pve though is if they fix something .... right now some of the pof elites are .... eww.

New to the game? Feel free to give a yell if you need PVE help.

• RoseofGilead.8907RoseofGilead.8907 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 31, 2017

@psizone.8437 said:
    Edit: You know what, I was careful to make sure this comment was worded well but I'd rather not get a forum infringement for being negative so I'll change it somewhat.

Management need to give the balance team time and resources to balance things and fix bugs properly and the team need to be open with their player base.

Just because people railed on you guys before doesn't mean the current player base will now, be open and give the game a chance at proper balance.

I, too, want better communication and more frequent balance patches. However, look at this thread. Half the comments are mostly reasonable and expressing their frustrations in a good way. The other half are flat out insulting and completely ridiculous. I'm pretty sure the player base now isn't any different than before (different people, same complaining seen in every gaming forum for every game).

Oh look. I have a signature now.

• Ayakaru.6583Ayakaru.6583 Member ✭✭✭✭

Everyone who is upset with the wait..
    Do you want a half-baked pie, or a properly baked pie?

To defeat the dragons, see the good in them.
    Zhaitan reunites lost ones, primordus creates fertile land, mordremoth spreads the green, and jormag..
    ..jormag? Who's that?

• Cuon Alpinus.7645Cuon Alpinus.7645 Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 31, 2017

@Ayakaru.6583 said:

Yeah, the entitlement on these forums is astounding. They've already rolled out a bugfix balance patch with Halloween right after, a large rebalancing a few weeks before the xpac, and another only a month and a half later for the next large balance patch. Not only is this for 9 classes w/ 2 specs, but they have to make changes individually to each gamemode as well, so multiply that by 3. By all means, complain about the level of quality when it actually releases, but the current timeline itself is well within reasonable restraints. The sPvP lot would be complaining just as much if they moved the season start back a week to compensate.

Permanently Embiggened

• troops.8276troops.8276 Member ✭✭✭

@Ayakaru.6583 said:

That is not it at all. You miss the point completely.

• Malafaia.8903Malafaia.8903 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Tinnel.4369 said:
    Your players take their play time and competitive play seriously, I assume this is a quality you desire of your player base. Does ANet feel that their investment in keeping the players informed, addressing glaring concerns, and having some level of sensitivity towards timing is on par?

PERFECT.

• @Darknicrofia.2604 said:

@Ayakaru.6583 said:

I'd like a pie more than once every 4 months

I'd like a balanced pie

• Xstein.2187Xstein.2187 Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 31, 2017

Mmmm 3 month old pie :s

jk, no with all honesty as others have mentioned, I don't think this is really about people being impatient. Its kind of a two fold problem. The first, and perhaps smaller problem, is that a balance patch is going to be thrown in at the very beginning of a season, giving no testing time to players. The other is that this appears to be more of a tipping point to me and a sign that things aren't working across the board. I don't know if this is the right topic to propose this, but my personal thoughts for awhile now have been that it would be better to shorten the season lengths and pack more seasons in a year. It would then hopefully still be possible for Anet to add more balance patches per year, still between seasons (Also be good if larger balance was made closer right after a season ended and another much much smaller one with only small tweaks before the next season starts).

• Eddbopkins.2630Eddbopkins.2630 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 31, 2017

The season starts on the 7th the update is on the 7th, theres no time to practice the changes for a fair competitive season. If things end up broken or even more so unbalanced theyll be a 1- 4 months for changes?? thats super discouraging and dissapointing.

Is there a reason why the developers refuse to balance any more then every 3-4 months when theres an obvious dissatisfaction amoungst its pvp player base about balance?

• Lunarlife.5128Lunarlife.5128 Member ✭✭✭

Simple +3% here -2% here would be nice as just a, "Hey we know things are messed up we're working on them this is a temp fix".

• Zedek.8932Zedek.8932 Member ✭✭✭

Let's be honest, and I am speaking out of experience: The whine on the forums will shift regarding the cahnges that will bee made.
    It's like a carrousel and it keeps spinning and spinning.

Excelsior.

Excelsior, my name is Zedexx; Asuran Deadeye and assassin.
    The Hunter / 2x Darksteel Pistols / 2x Whisper's Secret Daggers and my Springer. That's all I need and trust.
    "We [Asura] are the concentrated magnificence!"