Wardrobe System for Pets

@Vavume.8065 said:I understand what the OP wants, what's so hard to understand? he wants to have a pet dog with the fear skill, which should be a thing, but unfortunately we are stuck with cookie cutter pets, having to use the ones in the current meta, with no option for custimazation, no option to be unique, no option to use whatever pet you want without handicapping yourself... although a wardrobe could solve this problem I feel a better solution would be unlocking the f2 abilitys themselves for pets, and allowing any pet in a particular family to use any f2 from within that family, quite franky that would be the ninor option for me, I would rather every pet could choose any f2 in the game, but ofc that would require a massive rework to pets. Bottom line is, its never going to happen anyway, these devs are just not up to it.

This would atleast be a start. Swapping soulbeast F3 and thus the stats also should be a thing in this case. Atleast when the F3 is usable among these pet family members.

@Ayumi Spender.1082 said:Black Widow skin in the Gem Store please!!!!I never played GW1 and I need the Black Widow!

Play GW1, you can get that game very cheap, and you earn the Black Widoe as part of linking GW1 with GW2So it will never happen that this pets becomes buyable through the Gemstore

PS: ah, Ill was faster xD, the Hall of Monuments is the way to go here yeah

@Orpheal.8263 said:

@Ayumi Spender.1082 said:Black Widow skin in the Gem Store please!!!!I never played GW1 and I need the Black Widow!

Play GW1, you can get that game very cheap, and you earn the Black Widoe as part of linking GW1 with GW2So it will never happen that this pets becomes buyable through the Gemstore

PS: ah, Ill was faster xD, the Hall of Monuments is the way to go here yeah

Wait. So all I need is to play GW1 for like let's say 1 second and I get the cute spider?

No, not 1 second rofl, you need to play it at least so long,. until you reached the Hall of Monuments in Eye of the North, so you basically need GW1 and main game, and EotN, the little expansion, and once you are in the Eye of the North, you can link both Games together, so that if you log in into GW2 with an account, that is linked to a GW1 account and you have made in GW1 enough progress within the Hall of Monument, then yo uwil lreceive a Black Widow for the Ranger as reward in GW2

https://hom.guildwars2.com/de/#page=welcome

On this Site you will see, if you type in your Character Name of one of your GW1 Characters, how far your HoM progress is to unlock the various HoM rewards you receive in GW2.Its a mixture out of Skins, Pets and Titles you receive, plus also a nice amoutn of extra AP for every earned title (50AP per title)

To earn the black Window, you need to earn in GW1 30 HoM points of 50, which is taking you quite some time you have to play first GW1, until you have those.

@Orpheal.8263 said:No, not 1 second rofl, you need to play it at least so long,. until you reached the Hall of Monuments in Eye of the North, so you basically need GW1 and main game, and EotN, the little expansion, and once you are in the Eye of the North, you can link both Games together, so that if you log in into GW2 with an account, that is linked to a GW1 account and you have made in GW1 enough progress within the Hall of Monument, then yo uwil lreceive a Black Widow for the Ranger as reward in GW2

https://hom.guildwars2.com/de/#page=welcome

On this Site you will see, if you type in your Character Name of one of your GW1 Characters, how far your HoM progress is to unlock the various HoM rewards you receive in GW2.Its a mixture out of Skins, Pets and Titles you receive, plus also a nice amoutn of extra AP for every earned title (50AP per title)

To earn the black Window, you need to earn in GW1 30 HoM points of 50, which is taking you quite some time you have to play first GW1, until you have those.

Seeing GW1 and all the expansions (at least on Steam) would be like $55 after taxes and such...... I kind of willing to just give Arenanet $60 for just that Black Widow and keep the other stuff.

@Ayumi Spender.1082 said:

@Orpheal.8263 said:No, not 1 second rofl, you need to play it at least so long,. until you reached the Hall of Monuments in Eye of the North, so you basically need GW1 and main game, and EotN, the little expansion, and once you are in the Eye of the North, you can link both Games together, so that if you log in into GW2 with an account, that is linked to a GW1 account and you have made in GW1 enough progress within the Hall of Monument, then yo uwil lreceive a Black Widow for the Ranger as reward in GW2

Seeing GW1 and all the expansions (at least on Steam) would be like $55 after taxes and such...... I kind of willing to just give Arenanet $60 for just that Black Widow and keep the other stuff.

Check with your friends if anyone else want to do HoM! GW1 was (and still is) tons of fun if you play with a closeknit group trying to perfect missions and grind vanquisher.

On Topic: I can see the appeal to want to customize pets but I see it more as dyes and pet clothing. Otherwise just swap pets; I doubt that the different skills that come with each will invalidate your build THAT much.

Pets have unique skills and most of us know what they are. You allow skins that mask abilities in PvP or WvW and the min/maxers would want skins to mask the weapon they are using.Hammer with GS skin for example. And yes, I've seen hysterical howling over things just as trivial.And just no to hats. Find your old copy of Nintendogs.

@Teofa Tsavo.9863 said:Pets have unique skills and most of us know what they are. You allow skins that mask abilities in PvP or WvW and the min/maxers would want skins to mask the weapon they are using.Hammer with GS skin for example. And yes, I've seen hysterical howling over things just as trivial.And just no to hats. Find your old copy of Nintendogs.

If they would implement it like an option to skillswap the specific abbility, then they could disable the option in PvP/WvW.

As a WvW/PvP player, I think it's an imbalancing idea to allow rangers to hide the impact of their pets behind a skin. In open world PvE, I don't really care if someone is playing with spider skills and displaying a wolf (weird imo, immersion breaking perhaps, but hardly matters). In instanced content, I want to be able to see what people are running for a variety of reasons.

However, regardless of my preferences, it's hard to imagine ANet wanting to make a substantial change to the pet engine, UI, and underlying mechanics because some people prefer the look of the wolf over some other canine. I think the OP might have more success in asking for gem store options to change pet skins. (I imagine them being sold by 'family', probably not much more different than pink vs black moa.)

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:As a WvW/PvP player, I think it's an imbalancing idea to allow rangers to hide the impact of their pets behind a skin. In open world PvE, I don't really care if someone is playing with spider skills and displaying a wolf (weird imo, immersion breaking perhaps, but hardly matters). In instanced content, I want to be able to see what people are running for a variety of reasons.

However, regardless of my preferences, it's hard to imagine ANet wanting to make a substantial change to the pet engine, UI, and underlying mechanics because some people prefer the look of the wolf over some other canine. I think the OP might have more success in asking for gem store options to change pet skins. (I imagine them being sold by 'family', probably not much more different than pink vs black moa.)

Skins shouldnt be species overlapping just be swappable inside the pet family. Or atleast swappable skills inside family. The skillswap could be disabled in PvP/WvW and everybidy would be happy.

• 1 year later...

@Mortelentus.9236 said:This idea, or something similar, for unique or rare pets was never spoken again? Personally, I love the idea of roaming the world hunting down for that special pet, even if it doesn't give any special advantage skill wise. Would certainly make me want to try a ranger even more.

Yeah this thread died pretty fast actually. Idk why.

I would even do collections that would reward players with home instance pets that rangers even could tame.And would also give other stuff.

It has a lot of potential as long as they can make it in a way that all players benefit and ranger players just get the benefit of having a new pet skin.

I mean I would even spend money on that.

@Danikat.8537 said:The only difference between a wolf and a drakehound is that the wolf's howl (F2 ability) causes fear and the drakehound's causes immobilize. All their other skills are identical and all their stats are identical. And it's the same for all the other pets - the family determines the stats and 3/4 skills and then the last skill is a variation on a theme.

They also have different pet archetypes for Soulbeast. In fact, the pet archetypes are mostly different throughout pets in the same family. And those make a big difference to your build - enough that you really don't have to be a min-maxer to care about them.

I find it weird that the appearance of Ranger pets is so closely related to their functionality, when that isn't the case armour and weapons*. I just about buy the argument about recognition in competitive modes - but in that case, why isn't it a problem that I can't tell what utility skills and second weapon set someone is using from their appearance?

*Yes, I know you can identify the weapon type from the skin (except for certain longbow/shortbow skins), but you can't tell the tier, stats or sigils.

@Tommo Chocolate.5870 said:

@Danikat.8537 said:The
only
difference between a wolf and a drakehound is that the wolf's howl (F2 ability) causes fear and the drakehound's causes immobilize. All their other skills are identical and all their stats are identical. And it's the same for all the other pets - the family determines the stats and 3/4 skills and then the last skill is a variation on a theme.

They also have different pet archetypes for Soulbeast. In fact, the pet archetypes are mostly different throughout pets in the same family. And those make a big difference to your build - enough that you really don't have to be a min-maxer to care about them.

I find it weird that the appearance of Ranger pets is so closely related to their functionality, when that isn't the case armour and weapons*. I just about buy the argument about recognition in competitive modes - but in that case, why isn't it a problem that I can't tell what utility skills and second weapon set someone is using from their appearance?

*Yes, I know you can identify the weapon type from the skin (except for certain longbow/shortbow skins), but you can't tell the tier, stats or sigils.

I think this could be easily solvable by the standard model option that is already in game.If enable it should disable the skin and show the pet as is. Although atm this isn't much of an issue because there are only a handful of pets used in competitive modes but that's rather off topic.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:As a WvW/PvP player, I think it's an imbalancing idea to allow rangers to hide the impact of their pets behind a skin. In open world PvE, I don't really care if someone is playing with spider skills and displaying a wolf (weird imo, immersion breaking perhaps, but hardly matters). In instanced content, I want to be able to see what people are running for a variety of reasons.

Have to agree here, a skin system that can be used in PvE, ok, but it would need to be auto-disabled in PvP and WvW since it might impact how you face off against another player. Would be curious to see the stats of player spread and % of rangers compared to all classes. Am an alt-a-holic and have repeats of many classes, but have 3 myself, but that's not the only class with 3 copies. ;)

For those asking “why not switch to another pet?” Have you ever played a ranger? There are only several viable pets, each with a different f2 skill. You want to use a pet because it’s useful but there are just so many pets that look cool but are useless.I would still vote no though for PvP and WvW as you wouldn’t be able to tell which pet is being used and what to expect... as awesome as it would be.

@GaijinGuy.8476 said:For those asking “why not switch to another pet?” Have you ever played a ranger? There are only several viable pets, each with a different f2 skill. You want to use a pet because it’s useful but there are just so many pets that look cool but are useless.Surely the more interesting solution to that is for ANet to do another pass at pet skills/usefulness, rather than just the cosmetic change of making some look different.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@GaijinGuy.8476 said:For those asking “why not switch to another pet?” Have you ever played a ranger? There are only several viable pets, each with a different f2 skill. You want to use a pet because it’s useful but there are just so many pets that look cool but are useless.Surely the more interesting solution to that is for ANet to do another pass at pet skills/usefulness, rather than just the cosmetic change of making some look different.

Yes, this would be much, much better.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

This would ofc be great. It is still restricted though. The more possibilities players have the better IMO.But atleast improving core pets would be a start.

One of the things I liked when I played gw1 was that my choice of pet was purely cosmetic. I didn't feel particurarly bonded with my melandru's stalker, so I picked up one of those cute little warthogs instead. Statwise, I didn't feel punished for doing so.

In Gw2, pets are chosen based on their ability rather than character theme or whatever cosmetic measure you employ to pick a pet. If this is the way Anet wants to balance the class, why not buff racial skills so we can have meta races too?

• 2 weeks later...

@TheGrimm.5624 said:

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:As a WvW/PvP player, I think it's an imbalancing idea to allow rangers to hide the impact of their pets behind a skin. In open world PvE, I don't really care if someone is playing with spider skills and displaying a wolf (weird imo, immersion breaking perhaps, but hardly matters). In instanced content, I want to be able to see what people are running for a variety of reasons.

Have to agree here, a skin system that can be used in PvE, ok, but it would need to be auto-disabled in PvP and WvW since it might impact how you face off against another player. Would be curious to see the stats of player spread and % of rangers compared to all classes. Am an alt-a-holic and have repeats of many classes, but have 3 myself, but that's not the only class with 3 copies. ;)

A skin system wouldn't necessarily hide the pet type. Just as with mounts, you can easily identify the species. Since skills vary so little between species, I don't think that would be a problem, but I honestly can't tell this for sure... And I think no ranger wants to display a spider as a wolf. Personally all I want is more options to find a pet that I can really bond with, both in terms of game-play AND efficiency.... Right now, I basically forget about efficiency because I simply cannot play with a "flower" or a "carrot" on my side....

And finally there's the uniqueness. It sure is nice to give rangers the opportunity to work (or pay) for some degree of uniqueness... Pets gated behind events (ala smokescale), rare pets that can be killed or spawn randomly, etc etc.... And ofc there's also the business (less fun) aspect of pet customization.

Bare in mind that, even though I would love it, i'm not talking about adding unique skills, or even more skill types... Just more "skins". I feel so sad when I see some fauna ingame and there's no way on earth I can tame one :)

@Mortelentus.9236 said:

@"TheGrimm.5624" said:

A skin system wouldn't necessarily hide the pet type. Just as with mounts, you can easily identify the species. Since skills vary so little between species, I don't think that would be a problem, but I honestly can't tell this for sure... And I think no ranger wants to display a spider as a wolf. Personally all I want is more options to find a pet that I can really bond with, both in terms of game-play AND efficiency.... Right now, I basically forget about efficiency because I simply cannot play with a "flower" or a "carrot" on my side....

And finally there's the uniqueness. It sure is nice to give rangers the opportunity to work (or pay) for some degree of uniqueness... Pets gated behind events (ala smokescale), rare pets that can be killed or spawn randomly, etc etc.... And ofc there's also the business (less fun) aspect of pet customization.

Bare in mind that, even though I would love it, i'm not talking about adding unique skills, or even more skill types... Just more "skins". I feel so sad when I see some fauna ingame and there's no way on earth I can tame one :)

Understand what you mean. If it doesn't mask the archtype than all good. But wouldn't want to be hit with a knockdown from a pet when I wasn't expecting it in WvW. Running with your pet hidden in WvW can already catch players by surprise now without adding more options. Good luck on the suggestion! See ya in game.