Hard Mode, Heroic Mode, Ect...

Dyfinz.2348

@zombyturtle.5980 said:They dont want to do harm mode maps because it splits the playerbase in 2 and they want to create a sense of community. Also challenging open world content wasnt recieved well in HOT so its pretty unlikely they will spend money making any more difficult content outside of instances. (we already have challenge modes in fractals story)

Sense of community lol. More like afk-trains of people just zerging mobs.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Ohoni.6057 said:

@TheRandomGuy.7246 said:But the most of the content in gw2 is "push button, get loot". Majority of the content are easy events and bosses. A lot of people never saw their trait panel or used a build. So yes. You will have to unlock everything for everyone on their first login because this is how low the bar is.

If you insist on that position then there is no reasonable basis for discussion.

If you truly believe that "most of the content in gw2 is "push button, get loot"," and that sort of content is not what you want in a game, then why are you even here trying to mess it up for everyone that does enjoy this game? I would counter that there is a wide gulf between most GW2 content and "push button, get loot",

While the game definitely isn't all about pushing one button and get loot, recently there has been more and more threads asking for anet to remove or modify things from the game that was considered too hard or not worth the effort for reward. It definitely contributes in the general feeling that people don't want to have to do much to get the final rewards.

The argument "why are you even here" works both ways, this is a thread presenting an idea about how to offer more end game content, which many of us enjoy. And this turned into a "should challenging content even reward unique skins".

@STIHL.2489 said:Where some people fuss that it is wrong for everyone to get a trophy, while playing a game who's loot system is specifically designed around the idea that everyone gets a trophy.> @Ohoni.6057 said:

@TheRandomGuy.7246 said:But the most of the content in gw2 is "push button, get loot". Majority of the content are easy events and bosses. A lot of people never saw their trait panel or used a build. So yes. You will have to unlock everything for everyone on their first login because this is how low the bar is.

If you insist on that position then there is no reasonable basis for discussion.

If you truly believe that "most of the content in gw2 is "push button, get loot"," and that sort of content is not what you want in a game, then why are you even here trying to mess it up for everyone that does enjoy this game? I would counter that there is a wide gulf between most GW2 content and "push button, get loot",

I never said that I don't want it in the game. Just stating the fact. Majority of the content is really easy. And your "silent majority" is very unskilled. So for your idea to work and not lock people out stuff and force them to do content they don't like (like it is now) you must give all rewards to everyone on login. Or well I guess you can give everything for doing any event in open world since everyone is able to do that.

@STIHL.2489 said:Look.. really, if you think the Bar is that low here, maybe you are just too awesome for this game, perhaps you might want to play a game that sets the bar a little higher with thrilling rides, and not full incompetent fartles fussing and fuming about who gets to ride the unicorn on the merry-go-round, and enjoying our Free Candy for no effort game.

We are talking about majority here. That does not mean that game has no content for "elitists". Its just not that good and released not that frequently.

Do the hyper casual types just whine more and whine louder than the average player or hardcore player whenever they encounter a speed bump? Every MMORPG that started with challenging content eventually folded and made everything easier with each expansion in the hopes to retain the lowest denominator of gamer. But clearly there is a large player base out there that enjoys challenging and meaningful content. As one of these players I don't want "hard" content to be limited only to final tier raids and end game dungeons. (until the next expansion nerfs em and moves the difficulty to the next tier) Are these players just not vocal and play regardless or just quit and move on? There is obviously a market niche when games like original sin, dark souls and darkest dungeon have a large player base. Or the amount of old UO players who play on old school player run servers. Why is this segment of the population always marginalized in MMORPG'S?

@Soulmancer.4715 said:Do the hyper casual types just whine more and whine louder than the average player or hardcore player whenever they encounter a speed bump? Every MMORPG that started with challenging content eventually folded and made everything easier with each expansion in the hopes to retain the lowest denominator of gamer. But clearly there is a large player base out there that enjoys challenging and meaningful content. As one of these players I don't want "hard" content to be limited only to final tier raids and end game dungeons. (until the next expansion nerfs em and moves the difficulty to the next tier) Are these players just not vocal and play regardless or just quit and move on? There is obviously a market niche when games like original sin, dark souls and darkest dungeon have a large player base. Or the amount of old UO players who play on old school player run servers. Why is this segment of the population always marginalized in MMORPG'S?

Because they want to cater to everyone and usually the ones lower than dark soul tier are usually the quick spenders.I've seen enough games, not just this one, where at times...? You would see someone with the flashiest stuff or maybe some of the rare or special gear and a ton of shop items.They spend their money mostly on looks and then play the game however and usually horrible than a newbie to the game.You might see someone with legendary gear on and can't survive 1-on-1 in let's say PvP. And it's not going to be because they're not into PvP, but because they just don't know what they're doing.

Even in this game, as people stated many times, there's multiple ways on buying a level 80 boost. Whether the item itself in the gem store or just getting one expansion. Now, there's waypoint unlockers. At times there's the other quality of life items like infinite gathering tools and permanent tickets to certain locations like that mistlock area and so on and so on.I'm not saying only the casual groups buy these things... of course not, but they are the ones that usually buy them more than the usual "hardcore" player.These are the same types of people who spend $500+ on those mobile games. I mean seriously...

@Deihnyx.6318 said:While the game definitely isn't all about pushing one button and get loot, recently there has been more and more threads asking for anet to remove or modify things from the game that was considered too hard or not worth the effort for reward. It definitely contributes in the general feeling that people don't want to have to do much to get the final rewards.

I think it's just a general disagreement as to what each player finds "hard," and more importantly what they find "fun." To some, most of the game is already "too easy." To others, they find most of the game exactly the right amount of engagement they are looking for, and find those more difficult areas of the game to be "not fun" because it is more frustrating than they come to GW2 for. I feel like most of the people who play GW2 are looking for a more casual experience than the "hardcore" players would enjoy. They don't want no challenge, which is the strawman put forth by the more hardcore crowd, but they do want a more moderate challenge, something that they are unlikely to fail so long as they are reasonably paying attention and responding to what's happening.

Insulting player who want that is not going to solve anything, because there are far more of them than there are of you, and they matter more, so the question is, how best to coexist with them.

The issue is, I don't think anyone genuinely has a problem with the game including difficult content, but plenty of players don't want to participate in it. Ever. And they don't want to feel locked out of all sorts of cool rewards just because they have no interest in that associated content. That's why I've always pushed for alternative paths, so that no player is forced into the hobson's choice of "spend a lot of time NOT having fun in the game" OR "never get that thing you wanted." The game can do better than that.

The argument "why are you even here" works both ways, this is a thread presenting an idea about how to offer more end game content, which many of us enjoy. And this turned into a "should challenging content even reward unique skins".

But this is all part of the same game. Think of it like launch PvP, in launch PvP, you could earn various skins via PvP, and for a pure PvE player, that was fine, because those skins ONLY applied to PvP, and if a player ONLY played PvE, he would never interact with those players or their PvP rewards. Then they ruined that whole system by allowing PvP rewards to be used in other game modes. But basically the same thing applies to hard mode content and rewards, like it or not, they are a part of the same game that the casuals play. If cool new things are added that ONLY hard mode players can get access to, then that is taking away from the play experience of the casuals, because if the hard mode didn't exist at all, then those items would be available through some more casual method. I mean, if Raids never existed, then players would be able to get the Envoy armor through some other process, like with Legendary weapons.

So no, you cannot have discussions about a hard mode in GW2 in a vacuum that does not include how it would impact more casual players. Anything added to the game has to be something that ALL players can be satisfied with, not just something that gives to a small group at the expense of everyone else.

@TheRandomGuy.7246 said:So for your idea to work and not lock people out stuff and force them to do content they don't like (like it is now) you must give all rewards to everyone on login.

No, again, that is unhelpful hyperbole.

@Soulmancer.4715 said:There is obviously a market niche when games like original sin, dark souls and darkest dungeon have a large player base. Or the amount of old UO players who play on old school player run servers. Why is this segment of the population always marginalized in MMORPG'S?

Because MMOs are much more expensive to build and maintain than relatively simple single player games, so building content focused on niche audiences tends to be counterproductive. Pretty much every MMO that set out to be "super hardcorz" crashed and burned pretty rapidly.

@Ohoni.6057 said:

@Soulmancer.4715 said:There is obviously a market niche when games like original sin, dark souls and darkest dungeon have a large player base. Or the amount of old UO players who play on old school player run servers. Why is this segment of the population always marginalized in MMORPG'S?

Because MMOs are much more expensive to build and maintain than relatively simple single player games, so building content focused on niche audiences tends to be counterproductive. Pretty much every MMO that set out to be "super hardcorz" crashed and burned pretty rapidly.

While I am not disagreeing with you, there is another option to consider, that maybe the "hard core" players don't want a hardcore game, because then they would just be average to the rest of the population, as such they come to easy mode games, to gorge their egos and fuss it's too easy.

@STIHL.2489 said:

@Ohoni.6057 said:

While I am not disagreeing with you, there is another option to consider, that maybe the "hard core" players don't want a hardcore game, because then they would just be average to the rest of the population, as such they come to easy mode games, to gorge their egos and fuss it's too easy.

This opinion does as much of a disservice to the so-called hardcore as the opinion that so-called casuals want rewards for doing nothing does to those casuals.

@IndigoSundown.5419 said:

@STIHL.2489 said:

@Ohoni.6057 said:

This opinion does as much of a disservice to the so-called hardcore as the opinion that so-called casuals want rewards for doing nothing does to those casuals.

I'm open, so tell me whats your theory as to why some people come to a mainly casual game, and then fuss that it's too easy while putting down the people who think that its already plenty challenging?

Lay it on me.. because, everything I can come up with, is not anymore flattering then what I just said.. maybe you have something good, an I'm willing to listen to it.

@STIHL.2489 said:

@Ohoni.6057 said:

To a point, but it IS true that the hardcore games tend to die fast. This recent

made that point, that if you have a game that favors "wolves" over "sheep," eventually it's just all wolves, and wolves apparently don't enjoy that as much as one might think. This si obviously a more direct threat to an open world PvP game, but it's an existential threat to even a PvE game, as you don't want the casuals to feel disheartened, to feel that there are worthwhile goals in front of them, but so far away that they cannot be reached.

@STIHL.2489 said:

I'm open, so tell me whats your theory as to why some people come to a mainly casual game, and then fuss that it's too easy while putting down the people who think that its already plenty challenging?

Lay it on me.. because, everything I can come up with, is not anymore flattering then what I just said.. maybe you have something good, an I'm willing to listen to it.

I don't know about the put-downs. I don't condone those, by either side (and they do flow both ways). I also don't know why someone would come to a "mainly casual game" and complain it's too easy.

I do know why someone might come to GW2 and want more challenge. Before launch, ANet spoke of explorable dungeons as the game's "raids." Shortly after launch, ANet began introducing a series of mob armies, all harder than the core armies. They spoke of raid content as harder than anything people have seen in GW2 before. There is a long history of ANet wanting to appeal to those who love challenge. That's why someone who wants challenge might buy the game. They believed ANet.

Now, why do they complain? Probably because they don't find the supposed challenging content challenging. More likely, because PvE challenge rarely persists.

Being highly skilled at action-style combat requires knowledge, a good connection, a good computer and good reflexes. Most GW2 content is aimed more at the average range as far as computer and reflexes go. Aim content at the high end of the continuum on those two factors and you alienate way too many people. So, ANet has gone more and more to content that challenges player knowledge like boss mechanics, and knowledge of profession/build/rotation.

The problem with knowledge-based PvE challenge, though, is the learning effect. Once the mechanics and best tactics are learned, the challenge can disappear. If you look at the reactions to the release of things that are initially lauded as being the salvation of the challenge-starved, those reactions tend to change from "thank you" to "too easy" over time. And not necessarily a long time.

In some ways, the complaining hardcore are just as frustrated with some aspects of the game as the complaining casual -- albeit about different things.

@Ohoni.6057 said:

Stuff. If anyone cares they can look above.

To a point, but it IS true that the hardcore games tend to die fast. This recent
made that point, that if you have a game that favors "wolves" over "sheep," eventually it's just all wolves, and wolves apparently don't enjoy that as much as one might think. This si obviously a more direct threat to an open world PvP game, but it's an existential threat to even a PvE game, as you don't want the casuals to feel disheartened, to feel that there are worthwhile goals in front of them, but so far away that they cannot be reached.

I'd be the last to say that there are not people who like to prey upon the weak, especially in a setting where any consequences are trivial. I also know that there are people who want something for nothing. That does not mean that painting everyone in a broad demographic with the same brush is accurate or fair. Ideally, the games that do the best will be those which appeal across demographics. Given the limitations that video game technology currently has, this means that all demographics may have to accept that in games that go for a broader appeal, not everything is likely to be "for them."

To get back to the topic, creating a "hard mode" version of core maps, the big question is "Does Anet want to revisit Core maps anyway?"When was the last time they released a patch that made tweaks to the Core Tyria zones?Keep in mind that old zones were created using old tools, and it's quite possible the creators of those tools do not work for the company anymore.Therefore, updating old content is really hard, this includes personal story, dungeons and of course core open world maps.Instead of asking for core tyria maps to be upgraded and new modes for them added, why not go and see the expansion zones instead?With Living World Season 2 and onward, they made it clear they want more challenging/interesting mobs so keep core tyria for what it is, a leveling playground, and go have fun on later zones if you are looking for interesting mechanics.

@IndigoSundown.5419 said:I do know why someone might come to GW2 and want more challenge. Before launch, ANet spoke of explorable dungeons as the game's "raids." Shortly after launch, ANet began introducing a series of mob armies, all harder than the core armies. They spoke of raid content as harder than anything people have seen in GW2 before. There is a long history of ANet wanting to appeal to those who love challenge. That's why someone who wants challenge might buy the game. They believed ANet.

Now, why do they complain? Probably because they don't find the supposed challenging content challenging. More likely, because PvE challenge rarely persists.

But the thing is, if the game's been a constant disappointment to those seeking ever more difficult challenges, and yet HAS appealed to the audiences that do not want that sort of challenge, then wouldn't it be in ANet's best interests to just be the game they are, to accept that the community loves them for who they are and that they don't have to "sexy it up" for some other audience?

Given the limitations that video game technology currently has, this means that all demographics may have to accept that in games that go for a broader appeal, not everything is likely to be "for them."

That breaks down when you're talking rewards though. People want the rewards they want. If a player wants a reward, then that reward IS, absolutely incontrovertibly, "for them." If the content that is arbitrarily associated with that reward is definitely not "for them," then you've created a completely unnecessary conflict. To avoid these sorts of conflicts, it is best to structure the rewards in such a way that there are always options that are available to all players, so that all players can reasonably work towards the goals they want, without having to spend significant amounts of time engaging in content that they do not enjoy.

It's ok to have content that is "not for everyone," so long as there is no reason whatsoever, for that "everyone" to ever go into it.

@Ohoni.6057 said:But the thing is, if the game's been a constant disappointment to those seeking ever more difficult challenges, and yet HAS appealed to the audiences that do not want that sort of challenge, then wouldn't it be in ANet's best interests to just be the game they are, to accept that the community loves them for who they are and that they don't have to "sexy it up" for some other audience?

Think of it this way:The game was advertised to have challenge content, even content that Raiders in other games would enjoy, would be in this one.A lot of players found the game way too easy on many fronts. The game started losing players rapidly.What did you expect? That the company would continue to allow the game to decline? Until nobody was playing anymore?

Of course they added new types of content to try to keep their playerbase happy, to cater to as many people as possible.Ascended as gear tier was added for that specific purpose, players found getting max gear way too fast and easy and Arenanet themselves said that it was a reason for low player retention (they would have data to support that right?) so they added Ascended gear to keep players interested, to increase the "challenge" in getting the end-game gear.The very first release they added to the game, the original Shadow of the Mad King, featured a place packed with mobs of a difficulty higher than most zones (the labyrinth without a huge blob), bosses that are more interesting to fight than the champions outside.The trend continued, Fractals, the dreaded Karka, Molten Facility dungeon and so on.

@maddoctor.2738 said:The game was advertised to have challenge content, even content that Raiders in other games would enjoy, would be in this one.A lot of players found the game way too easy on many fronts. The game started losing players rapidly.What did you expect? That the company would continue to allow the game to decline? Until nobody was playing anymore?

I would argue that the "this game is too easy" complainers mostly checked out within the first six months or so. Raids and HoT didn't come out for another two years. I doubt there were that many people who stuck out Season 2 and then if HoT hadn't been announced with raids they would have been like "that's it, I am OUT of here!"

Obviously the game lost some players early on (as any MMO tends to do), but it held on to a lot more, and those players spent 3+ years playing a game that was mostly not all that hard, and enjoying that it was not that hard. It was a feature to them, not a bug, an escape from all those other awful MMOs with their hardcore raiding scenes and the sort of toxic communities that GW2 has only fairly recently come to enjoy. The only sad thing is that ANet apparently did not love the same game that we loved, hey didn't love their creation for what it was like we did, because they've kept trying to stick pins in it every since it was born.

Now like I said, it's fine if they want to add harder content, but they need to finally recognize that a lot of their players do not want that content, so if they provide it, they need to not try to encourage players in there who have no interest in being there. They need to stop bribing players in with cool and exclusive items, and just let the players who want to do it, do it, and the players who don't want to do it, don't have to and won't miss out on anything.

There is a way they could accomplish this that would ensure some level of map coordination, build in a minimal reward and make the maps more alive all at the same time.

Right now, most open world bosses and event chains are designed for pugs - meaning they do not require any coordination whatsoever to complete.

If they added these bosses and events in as guild missions - and allowed guilds to trigger them at times other than their natural occurrence (similar to how the guild event flag works now), they could implement special challenge versions of the fight that do require varying levels of coordination. By tying them to guild activities, they would guarantee two things - that someone is actually "leading" the event and that at least a core group will be coordinating with one another. The slight reward would be guild influence and commendations (same as it is for missions now - with some possible new guild skins to help drive it forward.

This would further benefit those not in guilds - or pugs on a given map - by giving them access to fights and experiences that normally wouldn't be taking place - and by giving them access to the semi organization that comes with having a guild commander and core group on a map.

I know that the guild content team no longer exists at Anet, but I still think this would be a worthy endeavor that would benefit everyone in the game - while enabling the development of more challenging open world content (that assumes a higher level of coordination is present).

• 2 years later...

@moony.5780 said:After playing GW1 again...i really really miss hardmode in GW2 :( I love running around in the old GW2 maps...but i wish i could at least choose to be 5 lvl below instead of 2 lvl above. It would already be enough for me to have then +50% more Magic find for that debuff :)

Well, necromancers are pretty easy mode in the old GW2 maps.

@"Blaeys.3102" said:There is a way they could accomplish this that would ensure some level of map coordination, build in a minimal reward and make the maps more alive all at the same time.

Right now, most open world bosses and event chains are designed for pugs - meaning they do not require any coordination whatsoever to complete.

If they added these bosses and events in as guild missions - and allowed guilds to trigger them at times other than their natural occurrence (similar to how the guild event flag works now), they could implement special challenge versions of the fight that do require varying levels of coordination. By tying them to guild activities, they would guarantee two things - that someone is actually "leading" the event and that at least a core group will be coordinating with one another. The slight reward would be guild influence and commendations (same as it is for missions now - with some possible new guild skins to help drive it forward.

This would further benefit those not in guilds - or pugs on a given map - by giving them access to fights and experiences that normally wouldn't be taking place - and by giving them access to the semi organization that comes with having a guild commander and core group on a map.

I know that the guild content team no longer exists at Anet, but I still think this would be a worthy endeavor that would benefit everyone in the game - while enabling the development of more challenging open world content (that assumes a higher level of coordination is present).

I kind of like this idea. It would introduce some more challenging options without actually splitting the map population (that is already way to small on many maps). It would also give a reason to old players to revisit core maps, breathing some new life into them (much needed when thinking about retaining new players - we don't want those to get a feeling that the game is dead, and quit due to it well before getting to the most recent LS maps and seeing that yes, people are still there)

@Raknar.4735 said:

@moony.5780 said:After playing GW1 again...i really really miss hardmode in GW2 :( I love running around in the old GW2 maps...but i wish i could at least choose to be 5 lvl below instead of 2 lvl above. It would already be enough for me to have then +50% more Magic find for that debuff :)

Considering this thread is almost 3 years old the person you respond to seem to be a nice necro =)

@Linken.6345 said:

Considering this thread is almost 3 years old the person you respond to seem to be a nice necro =)

Exactly :p

@"moony.5780" said:After playing GW1 again...i really really miss hardmode in GW2 :( I love running around in the old GW2 maps...but i wish i could at least choose to be 5 lvl below instead of 2 lvl above. It would already be enough for me to have then +50% more Magic find for that debuff :)

Since hard mode ala GW1 will never happen (it would split the player base), I like the idea of choosing to be downscaled by 5 levels or so as a workaround. As compensation for this "hard mode", just give all the events a reward chest (like HoT and onward) and I'm in. Sorry, but +50% MF is not good enough for me.

I also think the development costs for that would be rather low.

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@"Blaeys.3102" said:There is a way they could accomplish this that would ensure some level of map coordination, build in a minimal reward and make the maps more alive all at the same time.

I kind of like this idea. It would introduce some more challenging options without actually splitting the map population (that is already way to small on many maps). It would also give a reason to old players to revisit core maps, breathing some new life into them (much needed when thinking about retaining new players - we don't want those to get a feeling that the game is dead, and quit due to it well before getting to the most recent LS maps and seeing that yes, people are still there)

Not sure why this thread from 2017 is suddenly active again, but my stance on the matter remains the same. The key to content in open world requiring difficulty lies with the guilds in the game - and the easiest way to incentivize those guilds to coordinate more would be through a revamp of the guild mission system - which would, in turn, allow for more and more difficult content in open world.

It won't happen - Anet has already declared anything remotely related to guild missions dead in the water - but it would be a great addition to the game that would enhance the experience for everyone (not just people in guilds).