Official Mount Adoption Feedback Thread [merged]

@Oglaf.1074 said:

@Squee.7829 said:Is everyone just mad that they're being so blatant about it?

People are not mad about the skins being premium content, no.

People are mad because they were implemented as a form of gambling.

Had you been able to pay 400 Gems for each skin - knowing full well which skin you are getting - it would be business as usual.

Ohhh. That makes sense. Hopefully they fix that.

@Sold Out.7625 said:Amazing. It took only seconds for the people that defend companies to come out of the woodwork.

I mean what the hell, Anet needed to take a page from EA and Ubisoft, didn't they? Friggin' wonderful.

Lootboxes lootboxes lootboxes.

The dirtiest game sales practice of recent times and Anet immediately adopt it.

Anet have always had it with for example Black Lions chests its just never been as blatant as this before.

@Erasculio.2914 said:I don't think anything has changed. ArenaNet knows people are willing to accept loot boxes - the Black Lion Chests have been in the game since release, and not only you don't see people complaining about them, they also sell. A lot, based on how often ArenaNet updates them.

It was the fact players were willing to accept loot boxes that allowed ArenaNet to push the concept further with the RNG mount skins. Unless players vote with their wallets and give strong feedback about this, ArenaNet will not stop.

It has changed. Many of the items in said loot boxes could be bought and sold on the trading post. Players still had the option to pick and choose the items they wanted. But not with mounts, maybe I'll spend 80 gold to get 400 gems and get the exact mount that I wanted first try! Maybe I won't get it until the 31st try, and end up spending 800 gold.

@Danikat.8537 said:Technically it's 30 items - so it works out at 320 gems each.

It's still extremely expensive for new skins, but at least they're being clear on what the price is to get the full set.

320 gems is an extremely fair price given the amount of work mounts have taken, even more would be reasonable in my opinion.

But they're not 320 gems, it's 120 freaking dollars, to get what you want, what you are paying for. Be that 29 skins for 320 gems each and 1 you just happened to not want; or the one skin you actually wanted for an insanely overpriced $120 with 29 useless dishonestly sold hang-ons. Because spending that 120 dollars is the only way you're actually guaranteed to get what you paid that money for.

@Oglaf.1074 said:

@SkyShroud.2865 said:It is a interesting bundle, 400 gems for a single gem item while 320 (total 9600) for 30 skin.

It isn't p2w so I don't care.

Except that it is 400 Gems for a
gamble
or 9600 to
avoid the gamble

It is underhanded and dirty.

Had you been able to directly buy the skin you want for 400 Gems instead, the forums wouldn't be overflowing with hatred towards Anet like they currently are.

isn't black lion key gambling too?did you complain about it?

@Oglaf.1074 said:Actually, I'm 110% convinced that the success of games like Shadow of War - AAA-priced titles with a loot box gambling system in them - embolden Anet to expand their gambling within the Gemstore as well.

I mean, Shadow of War took crap from every single direction for their loot boxes yet the game sat pretty on Steam's Best Sellers-list.

isn't it the other way around. If you sell only bananas and a few people buy them, it doesn't mean everyone loves bananas and doesn't want oranges. I'm pretty sure if all outfits, skins, mounts, and gliders found only as RNG would be sold individually, no one would pay for the rng anymore, because no one wants to pay to maybe get their product.I don't go to the pub, say "I want a beer" and give them a fiver, only to get a glass that maybe, just maybe, has beer in it

The 'vote with your wallet' is an interesting one. It seems so simple, but, companies aren't looking for the majority to buy in the first place. So it continues. But would the target audience of the loot box gambles stay in the game if other people left and the 'world' felt emptier. So it's a 'vote with your feet' type situation. Or the threat thereof.

You guys are talking about a group of people who tried to sneak in privateer weapons and then was like "ohjhh, oh no we're not doing it like this, this is a one time thing to show you something special!".

Until I see internal memos detailing that in writing before they released it, I will not believe it was anything but backpedaling and saving face after being caught.

Are you guys legitimate like unawares that this is standard procedure? Don't be naiive.

Also Anet has done nothing wrong here. Truly we are to blame for showing them, by the numbers, that we love gambling.

STOP BLAMING ANET

@SkyShroud.2865 said:

@Oglaf.1074 said:

@SkyShroud.2865 said:It is a interesting bundle, 400 gems for a single gem item while 320 (total 9600) for 30 skin.

gamble
or 9600 to
avoid the gamble

Had you been able to directly buy the skin you want for 400 Gems instead, the forums wouldn't be overflowing with hatred towards Anet like they currently are.

Uh I would wager so? Since the blacklion chest RNG has been the most complained about aspect of this games monetization since release day. Did you not frequent the old forums?

@Erasculio.2914 said:I don't think anything has changed. ArenaNet knows people are willing to accept loot boxes - the Black Lion Chests have been in the game since release, and not only you don't see people complaining about them, they also sell. A lot, based on how often ArenaNet updates them.

It was the fact players were willing to accept loot boxes that allowed ArenaNet to push the concept further with the RNG mount skins. Unless players vote with their wallets and give strong feedback about this, ArenaNet will not stop.

In the last 5 years, there's been tons of complaints about Black lIon chests being RNG. Most of which were at launch, and sporadically over the years. It's more accepting because it's been there forever and never went away.

So yeah, nothing has changed. People still don't like RNG. Not even in Black Lion Chests.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@Ryan.9387 said:I'm not going to type an essay about this.

You are putting items into the gem store for $120 now. That is disgraceful and insulting to your player base. You should be ashamed.

30 items for US$120, not one item.(Doesn't mean you have to like it or support it, but let's try not to exaggerate.)

They said 'items' not 'item', while this is obviously worst case scenario, doesn't change the fact that you could absolutely spend that amount of money to acquire the skin you want, if unlucky.

Just make the skins tradable. This will solve everything. Then players can gamble with gems all they want, and sell the skins they don't need for gold.And all other players can get the new mount skins from TP using gold against current market prices. (Supply/demand)

Players who want to cherrypick mount skins for gems, can then just exchange gems for gold and buy the mounts from TP.

And ANet gets taxes on all currency exchanges. Everyone happy?

Things that Anet could have done to have made this somewhat acceptable ...

• Remove the randomness of buying the mount skins, 9600 gems for wanting or liking just one skin is absurd, providing players with choice is always beneficial.
  • single mount skins should be more in line with glider costs (I understand that reskinning a mount could be more work than reskinning a glider but 300 to 1000 gems seems more reasonable, unlike the 2000 gems for the reforged warhound skin)
  • I actually liked and supported the halloween bundle of skins that was for 1600 gems for 5 skins as it was great value, would have preferred seeing the new 30 skins being in bundles of this price or slightly less.
  • I really really didn't want mounts to become just like gliders, I'm fine with some cosmetics being purchasable as it helps provide variety and it gives people chances to support the game and it's developers but I want some things to be earnable in game, I want to work for things not with just money but with time and dedication ... we can currently only earn the basic glider and any glider attached to the legendary backpacks in game and now we can only earn the basic mounts in PoF.

The fact that there's no heart vendors or special merchants or anything that sells even a variant of the base mounts or additional dye channels is stupid as providing more in game rewards for people to work towards or make into ingame goals will get people to actually play your game more frequently.

That's just the thing, statistically most people are not willing to accept loot boxes, have never bought one, and will never buy one. Lootboxes are only profitable by leeching off a handful of irresponsible lifeless whales among the playerbase that spend hundreds or thousands of dollars on anything and everything, and in doing so making it profitable to leave most of the playerbase hung out to dry.

It's a business practice for those who don't give half a crap about their players, creating a community, or even making a good game, and a lot of us thought ANet was different, above that, and in running their business like a whaling ship, they're proving we were wrong.

@Oglaf.1074 said:People are not mad about the skins being premium content, no.

People are mad because they were implemented as a form of gambling.

Had you been able to pay 400 Gems for each skin - knowing full well which skin you are getting - it would be business as usual.This, right here. Anet, just sell the skins. Enough of this gambling nonsense. I won't pay for something if I can't see what I'm getting, and I sure as heck won't pay for 30 of something when I only want a few of them.

@Conncept.7638 said:

That's just the thing, statistically most people are not willing to accept loot boxes, have never bought one, and will never buy one. Lootboxes are only profitable by leeching off a handful of irresponsible lifeless whales among the playerbase that spend hundreds or thousands of dollars on anything and everything, and in doing so making it profitable to leave most of the playerbase hung out to dry.

It's a business practice for those who don't give half a crap about their players, creating a community, or even making a good game, and a lot of us thought ANet was different, above that, and in running their business like a whaling ship, they're proving we were wrong.

Hmm I would like to see where you got those statistics, because I can for an absolute fact tell you, YOU ARE WRONG.

@SkyShroud.2865 said:

@Oglaf.1074 said:

gamble
or 9600 to
avoid the gamble

Which you can do 100% for free as a decent leisure?This you can't.

+1 to the OP. I am tired of all the RNG shenanigans. While this is not as bad as some of the other RNG inherit to GW2, 9600 gems??? That's nearly $120 and more than the cost of the last two XPACK's put together....

Please don't turn into one of those to be unnamed gaming developers ANET... please.....