Halloween race achievement only for POF - not fair — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Halloween race achievement only for POF - not fair

The Halloween achievement that says to complete the race in under 2 minutes is only achievable to people who bought POF and has mounts!!! - not fair ANET! its an event for everyone so every should be able to complete this achievement with relatively the same difficulty!! Is there an admin here??
(even tried it with thief and bow with the right skills and its not possible...)

Comments

  • Randulf.7614Randulf.7614 Member ✭✭✭✭

    The achievement itself is aimed specifically at PoF players though and isn't compulsory. The race itself is completable without mounts of course.

    There are reports of players completing it in under 2mins however with the mount (I have no evidence to back up that claim however)

    What sleep is here? What dreams there are in the unctuous coiling of the snakes mortal shuffling. weapon in my hand. My hand the arcing deathblow at the end of all things. The horror. The horror. I embrace it. . .

  • completed the race with the thief but not under 2 minutes.. and its an holiday's achievement, its suppose to for everyone with relatively the same difficulty!! I dont have to pay to be able to finish the race in under 2 minutes

  • TexZero.7910TexZero.7910 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @ItaiF.2084 said:
    completed the race with the thief but not under 2 minutes.. and its an holiday's achievement, its suppose to for everyone with relatively the same difficulty!! I dont have to pay to be able to finish the race in under 2 minutes

    It's a new part of the festival. You still have 100% access to the core festival as it was released years ago.
    If you want the mount aspects then pay for the expansion with the mounts.

  • Ayumi Spender.1082Ayumi Spender.1082 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Randulf.7614 said:
    The achievement itself is aimed specifically at PoF players though and isn't compulsory. The race itself is completable without mounts of course.

    There are reports of players completing it in under 2mins however with the mount (I have no evidence to back up that claim however)

    Yeah I've heard of that.
    While I never seen it, I would say that's your best option.
    While not fair, I would say that's the way it is... and this case? Some of these things will never change.

    Still remember getting into the game and seeing people gliding to certain vistas or items when I had to take the long way. IF it's true people can beat this thing without mounts, I would say that's your best option at it. Struggle will exist until you get those "quality of life" items like the Glider and Mounts.

  • Whenever people complain about things like this, I always think about a public event scenario where children and adults can both participate. The children are not adults yet, ergo they should not be allowed to participate in any activity involving alcohol consumption (based on laws in the USA). Is this scenario unfair and should the children be able to consume alcohol because the adults can as well? They need to meet the requirements to participate.

    Note: This is not to compare the non-POF to children, just the limitations of children's freedoms.

  • DearlyMe.5320DearlyMe.5320 Member ✭✭✭

    I'm sure the achievement will be back when you have access to the mounts. It's one achievement and one event. You don't need it for anything but the daily and that gives you a choice out of five total to do three. You're not always going to be able to do absolutely everything you want. What about those who joined around Halloween and don't have the time to level a character to enjoy the labyrinth? Staying on those maps that spawn the doors is a very slow process to get candy.

    I can't finish the Mad Memorial because my tailoring is too low to make the boots. Too low to grind it out before Halloween ends and that's something that hasn't been seen since 2012, I'm told. Just how it goes.

    Mains :: Gwenyna (Sylvari Chronomancer) and Nyniendha (Sylvari Reaper)
    7 Sylvari | 7 Asura | 3 Norn | 3 Human | 4 Charr
    https://dearlyme.tumblr.com/

  • The race is an event designed for mount owners, and sadly for you, POF (and a level 80 character) are a prerequisite for owning a mount. I'm glad that ANet added this and gliding to the labyrinth this year, and I don't see why players shouldn't have to meet the requirements to participate.
    Remember that there are alternative ways to gain the rewards, so you're only really missing out on some achievement points.

  • Bloodstealer.5978Bloodstealer.5978 Member ✭✭✭✭

    What's the betting we would be seeing the same complaint flipped if the race wasn't to allow mounts... can't win either way.

    I am surprised no one has complained they can't use their mounts to get to the top of the clock tower yet :)

    Life is what YOU make it... NOT what others tell you!

  • are you all serious?? so let them rent mounts only for the race... im not complaning i dont have a mount, im saying its not fair i need to pay to do an holiday content.
    they can also not make me do this achievement to gain the back piece, give me another one, a possible one... and remember - with relatively the same difficulty!! maybe I dont have the money and just saying buy POF is very childish of you all... The game needs to be equal to everyone (not same content, but equal!!)

  • From what I understand, said holiday content is doable without a mount, but don't expect to beat those who purchased an expansion where mounts were exclusively introduced as a new feature. If anything, it could be a marketing incentive used to attract people into buying the expansion for those mounts themselves. This is a business to be ran, and those who have not paid for additional services from that business shouldn't be expecting the same from those who have. That's a mindset of entitlement.

  • Shirlias.8104Shirlias.8104 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 4, 2017

    Some players complain though they don't support the game by buying at least expansions.

    Not fair

  • Dashiva.6149Dashiva.6149 Member ✭✭✭

    I am a firm believer that Halloween and Wintersday should be equally enjoyed by all players, no matter what content they have unlocked for their account. Having a festival activity limited to a certain subgroup of player causes unnecessary tension within the community (at least it has among my friends).

    We know that there is a system in place for players to borrow mounts temporarily. If that feature had been implemented into the race event it could have worked as a demo that might have been a incentive for player to aquire PoF, Instead of feeling "locked out".

  • Aira.7360Aira.7360 Member ✭✭

    The archivement is for pof. I mean Its funny, its just like, u are going to mart and just have enough money to buy mineral water but u see other people can buy isotonic, then u said to the cashier this is not fair

  • KidRoleplay.3615KidRoleplay.3615 Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 4, 2017

    Not that I have any real passion on this topic whatsoever (I'm about to go to sleep as a matter of fact), but I still see it as expecting to be able to use a feature that wasn't purchased. Halloween and Wintersday are core elements, just as Fractal of the Mists is a core element and dungeons are core elements. It'd be like expecting to play through them with elite specializations just because you can enter them with only the core product.

    For what it's worth, even the feature of temporary mounts is a Path of Fire feature you pay for. It seems just seeing the mounts is what the company is banking on as being the incentive for a consumer's purchase. And the opportunity for equal enjoyment is pure subjectivity; there's always those who are impossible to please.

  • Ayumi Spender.1082Ayumi Spender.1082 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @ItaiF.2084 said:
    are you all serious?? so let them rent mounts only for the race... im not complaning i dont have a mount, im saying its not fair i need to pay to do an holiday content.
    they can also not make me do this achievement to gain the back piece, give me another one, a possible one... and remember - with relatively the same difficulty!! maybe I dont have the money and just saying buy POF is very childish of you all... The game needs to be equal to everyone (not same content, but equal!!)

    It's equal as you can still get the ghost backpack if you unlock all lunatic skins.
    Which you can get without that race.

  • Vayne.8563Vayne.8563 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @ItaiF.2084 said:
    are you all serious?? so let them rent mounts only for the race... im not complaning i dont have a mount, im saying its not fair i need to pay to do an holiday content.
    they can also not make me do this achievement to gain the back piece, give me another one, a possible one... and remember - with relatively the same difficulty!! maybe I dont have the money and just saying buy POF is very childish of you all... The game needs to be equal to everyone (not same content, but equal!!)

    I see your problem. You think you need to do the race in under two minutes to get the back piece. This isn't true. You can finish the collection you need to get the back piece by buying the recipe from a vendor for candy corn cobs and then crafting it. It's more expensive, but free to play players can do it too.

  • Ellisande.5218Ellisande.5218 Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 6, 2017

    @Ayumi Spender.1082 said:

    @ItaiF.2084 said:
    are you all serious?? so let them rent mounts only for the race... im not complaning i dont have a mount, im saying its not fair i need to pay to do an holiday content.
    they can also not make me do this achievement to gain the back piece, give me another one, a possible one... and remember - with relatively the same difficulty!! maybe I dont have the money and just saying buy POF is very childish of you all... The game needs to be equal to everyone (not same content, but equal!!)

    It's equal as you can still get the ghost backpack if you unlock all lunatic skins.
    Which you can get without that race.

    Which you can't do without the race as 1 of the 6 skins is only rewarded from the race.

    The back piece should not be tied to something that players who own PoF can't do nor to the fing stupid as kitten Clock Tower that not everyone can do. The crafting alternative is not a viable alternative as it is stupidly expensive and not everyone can afford to craft the other pieces. A viable alternative would be killing 50 mobs.

  • @ItaiF.2084 said:
    The Halloween achievement that says to complete the race in under 2 minutes is only achievable to people who bought POF and has mounts!!! - not fair ANET! its an event for everyone so every should be able to complete this achievement with relatively the same difficulty!! Is there an admin here??
    (even tried it with thief and bow with the right skills and its not possible...)

    Why not just work at McDonalds for 3-4 hours and buy POF

  • Kheldorn.5123Kheldorn.5123 Member ✭✭✭✭

    This is a b2p game. Racing was added with PoF, it never was part of a core halloween. You can complete every activity during Halloween, you don't need this achievemement, it doesn't block your progress in any way.

    I think this game needs even more things like this race to push expansion sales and stop people leeching on outdated accounts.

  • Haleydawn.3764Haleydawn.3764 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 6, 2017

    @Ellisande.5218 said:

    Which you can't do without the race as 1 of the 6 skins is only rewarded from the race.

    The back piece should not be tied to something that players who own PoF can't do nor to the fing stupid as kitten Clock Tower that not everyone can do. The crafting alternative is not a viable alternative as it is stupidly expensive and not everyone can afford to craft the other pieces. A viable alternative would be killing 50 mobs.

    Wrong. You can craft all 18 pieces for the ghostly back pack. That is your alternative whether you like it or not. The 6 boxes from achievements are free, you will still need to craft 12 other pieces for Complete Superstition. So what is 1 more piece? This complaint is ridiculous.
    I crafted the boot item, for Complete Ignition, because I can’t do the clock tower. Nothing is locked behind the expansion other than the race itself.

    Support the game, buy the expansion. Otherwise don’t complain, games adapt and add more features/dlc all the time, and time is not free. You want what other people have? Buy the expansion.

    Better get a wriggle on.

  • Ayumi Spender.1082Ayumi Spender.1082 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Ellisande.5218 said:

    @Ayumi Spender.1082 said:

    @ItaiF.2084 said:
    are you all serious?? so let them rent mounts only for the race... im not complaning i dont have a mount, im saying its not fair i need to pay to do an holiday content.
    they can also not make me do this achievement to gain the back piece, give me another one, a possible one... and remember - with relatively the same difficulty!! maybe I dont have the money and just saying buy POF is very childish of you all... The game needs to be equal to everyone (not same content, but equal!!)

    It's equal as you can still get the ghost backpack if you unlock all lunatic skins.
    Which you can get without that race.

    Which you can't do without the race as 1 of the 6 skins is only rewarded from the race.

    The back piece should not be tied to something that players who own PoF can't do nor to the fing stupid as kitten Clock Tower that not everyone can do. The crafting alternative is not a viable alternative as it is stupidly expensive and not everyone can afford to craft the other pieces. A viable alternative would be killing 50 mobs.

    Um... the backpack you need all 18 pieces. The chest only gives 6. May I ask how were you planning on getting the other 12?
    You would still have to make them.
    I did get all 6 chests and unlocked the medium one as I assume that would've been the most expensive with the insignia being leather based and then medium armour itself is leather... and so on and so forth.
    Either way, the way I see it is you would have to make 13 pieces of armour instead of 12 because you can't do the race somehow.

  • costepj.5120costepj.5120 Member ✭✭✭

    I have PoF and still end up running for half the race because I've been knocked off my mount by Steve or his cronies!

    So long and thanks for all the Skritt

  • Ayumi Spender.1082Ayumi Spender.1082 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @costepj.5120 said:
    I have PoF and still end up running for half the race because I've been knocked off my mount by Steve or his cronies!

    Using the wrong mount then.
    I do it many times with just me on the map and completed it just fine.

  • costepj.5120costepj.5120 Member ✭✭✭

    I find the first ones through rile up the mobs who then take it out on the following pack. I've had more joy on quieter maps :)

    So long and thanks for all the Skritt

  • Zedek.8932Zedek.8932 Member ✭✭✭

    Why does my copy of Sonic 1 for the Master System looks, sounds and plays worse than the MegaDrive/Genesis version when people bought the new SEGA console and the game have a better-looking, nice sounding and better controllable game than me?

    Excelsior, my name is Zedexx; Asuran Deadeye and assassin.
    The Hunter / 2x Darksteel Pistols / 2x Whisper's Secret Daggers and my Springer. That's all I need and trust.
    "We [Asura] are the concentrated magnificence!"

  • There's was a good amount of material you could do, the race was the only one you needed PoF for. It would have been a mistake for Anet not to include mounts in the event especially when they had new skins for them to sell. It's just a part of the gaming cycle, they still have to drum up funds to pay people to make and sustain content.

  • Ellisande.5218Ellisande.5218 Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 7, 2017

    @Haleydawn.3764 said:

    @Ellisande.5218 said:

    Which you can't do without the race as 1 of the 6 skins is only rewarded from the race.

    The back piece should not be tied to something that players who own PoF can't do nor to the fing stupid as kitten Clock Tower that not everyone can do. The crafting alternative is not a viable alternative as it is stupidly expensive and not everyone can afford to craft the other pieces. A viable alternative would be killing 50 mobs.

    Wrong. You can craft all 18 pieces for the ghostly back pack. That is your alternative whether you like it or not. The 6 boxes from achievements are free, you will still need to craft 12 other pieces for Complete Superstition. So what is 1 more piece? This complaint is ridiculous.
    I crafted the boot item, for Complete Ignition, because I can’t do the clock tower. Nothing is locked behind the expansion other than the race itself.

    Support the game, buy the expansion. Otherwise don’t complain, games adapt and add more features/dlc all the time, and time is not free. You want what other people have? Buy the expansion.

    You are the one who is wrong. Crafting those pieces requires a ridiculous amount of materials. So many materials that even after all the grinding I did this holiday I still didn't have enough to craft one single piece. So crafting is not an alternative when you cannot acquire enough of the mats needed to craft the item via your own grinding.

    Getting the boxes from the achievements takes most people an hour or less per achievement. The amount of grinding needed to get enough mats for just one craft is in the multiple tens of hours. That simply isn't an equivalent nor is it viable. Anyone who says that crafting is an alternative is either a no lifer or an Anet apologist.

    For the record I own all the expansions and did get all the parts via doing the achievements, including spending 16+ hours on the jumping puzzle to just to get the one success I needed for the achievement.

    There is no justifiable reason why the achievement was tied to the race nor any justifiable reason why another achievement was tied to the clock tower, especially when no viable alternatives were made available. And as I already stated, a craft that takes too long to grind the mats for is not a viable alternative. A safety catch all would be a viable alternative. For instance, fail to finish the race in 2 minutes 20 times and you earn the achievement. Fail to make it to the top of the tower 20 times and you get the achievement. Those would both be viable and fair alternatives. The crafting route is neither viable nor fair.

  • Ayumi Spender.1082Ayumi Spender.1082 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Ellisande.5218 said:

    @Haleydawn.3764 said:

    @Ellisande.5218 said:

    Which you can't do without the race as 1 of the 6 skins is only rewarded from the race.

    The back piece should not be tied to something that players who own PoF can't do nor to the fing stupid as kitten Clock Tower that not everyone can do. The crafting alternative is not a viable alternative as it is stupidly expensive and not everyone can afford to craft the other pieces. A viable alternative would be killing 50 mobs.

    Wrong. You can craft all 18 pieces for the ghostly back pack. That is your alternative whether you like it or not. The 6 boxes from achievements are free, you will still need to craft 12 other pieces for Complete Superstition. So what is 1 more piece? This complaint is ridiculous.
    I crafted the boot item, for Complete Ignition, because I can’t do the clock tower. Nothing is locked behind the expansion other than the race itself.

    Support the game, buy the expansion. Otherwise don’t complain, games adapt and add more features/dlc all the time, and time is not free. You want what other people have? Buy the expansion.

    You are the one who is wrong. Crafting those pieces requires a ridiculous amount of materials. So many materials that even after all the grinding I did this holiday I still didn't have enough to craft one single piece. So crafting is not an alternative when you cannot acquire enough of the mats needed to craft the item via your own grinding.

    Getting the boxes from the achievements takes most people an hour or less per achievement. The amount of grinding needed to get enough mats for just one craft is in the multiple tens of hours. That simply isn't an equivalent nor is it viable. Anyone who says that crafting is an alternative is either a no lifer or an Anet apologist.

    For the record I own all the expansions and did get all the parts via doing the achievements, including spending 16+ hours on the jumping puzzle to just to get the one success I needed for the achievement.

    There is no justifiable reason why the achievement was tied to the race nor any justifiable reason why another achievement was tied to the clock tower, especially when no viable alternatives were made available. And as I already stated, a craft that takes too long to grind the mats for is not a viable alternative. A safety catch all would be a viable alternative. For instance, fail to finish the race in 2 minutes 20 times and you earn the achievement. Fail to make it to the top of the tower 20 times and you get the achievement. Those would both be viable and fair alternatives. The crafting route is neither viable nor fair.

    I didn't even play the labyrinth all that much and I found the way to get all of them.
    And no, I'm super poor. I don't do those fractals or raids or whatever else people do for money.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.