Official Mount Adoption Feedback Thread [merged]

How is the new mount adoption thingies worse than the RNG loot that have ALWAYS excisted in GW2?Haven't played the game for a while, since launch of PoF. Woke up this morning to see a Jim Sterling video on GW2 in my subs on youtube. Went to reddit and official forums, and saw the outrage. Logged into the game to see how it worked, and don't see the big problem here compared to what is already in the game. I mean don't get me wrong, I have always hated the gambling elements in GW2, but it seemed like people rarely ever cared.These new lootboxes is better than so much gambling that already exist in the game. With the 400 per random mount you are at least guaranteed to get a mount skin, and you can't get the same one twice. Compare that to lets say dye kits, where there is a big chance of only getting dyes worth a couple silver.I've known many people in the game who have burned away 100's of $ on trying to get precursors in the mystic forge , many of those were full on addicts, who couldn't stop, many of those saw they had a problem and quit the game forever before they went to far.I hate lootboxes, but i'm no saint myself. Idiot me spent 4000 PoF gems on dye kits when I was bored, to try and get that permafrost dye, only to regret it big time ofc. I bought Shadow of War even though I hate the fact that we now have lootboxes in single player games. I'm part of the problem.I hope this trend will collapse soon, but this have always been part of GW2.Guild Wars 2 is probably my favorite game of all time, but this have always been a big negative for me in this game, fail to see how these new loot boxes that are actually better than so much gambling we've already seen in the game is now somehow big news.

It would have made more sense to just add most of the skins in chives / rewards and leave Unique ones in gemstore for fair price of 400-800 gems.Pof content was lacking in actual (chive/meta) rewards anyway would have made nice bonus to shove some skins there.. or least added as reward into adventures with daily low chance or something related to that instead of the rng loot box.

guys and girls , dont forget : WE control the game .. not Anet. So We disagree with prices on the mounts ? simple , we boycot the gemstore until we get fair prices and fair choises in mount skins. Been playing since august 25th 2012. In the past 5 years spend 1000's of gems without a doubt, cause i always got what i wanted to buy. Always supported the gemstore and the game. but its simple anet . strike one... all i can say , strike one..

We get so much loot in the game, we don't even realize it.

The biggest problem ANet has is perception. Since we don't need the traditional lucky drops to play (as would be true in many, many other games), the only things that feel rewarding are those with super tiny drop rates. Those can often be acquired with gold, that accumulates from just about anything we do. That results in understandable frustration and the feeling that there aren't good drops and that everything "worthwhile" is too expensive.

The fact is that we don't need very much in GW2 to succeed, so we tend to focus on things we don't need as being paramount.

Honestly, I think it's pretty deplorable. The last thing this game needs is randomized loot boxes. It would be so much better getting at least a random skin for a selected mount.I honestly only support the microtransactions in this game because the devs haven't made it p2w in any way and they actually developed a good game but this is taking the Mickey.

I don't like the thought of RNG Mount Boxes because I am more a "you get what you see" type. At the moment I am more or less okay with the Box but it's only the beginning because new skins will be released. Either they expand the contents in it and lessen the chance to get what you want in the process or they just make more and more of those boxes and neither of those two possibilities sits very well with me. And on Top of that, they released a single skin with a price tag as high as a complete mount bundle.So it's not this box especially which is worrying me but the future of this shop model.

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:We get so much loot in the game, we don't even realize it.

The biggest problem ANet has is perception. Since we don't need the traditional lucky drops to play (as would be true in many, many other games), the only things that feel rewarding are those with super tiny drop rates. Those can often be acquired with gold, that accumulates from just about anything we do. That results in understandable frustration and the feeling that there aren't good drops and that everything "worthwhile" is too expensive.

The fact is that we don't need very much in GW2 to succeed, so we tend to focus on things we don't need as being paramount.

I mean, the quantity of loot is fine, they give plenty of loot, but if it's not stuff that people actually value then it's not really loot. I mean if at the end of the week your boss hands you a paycheck for minimum wage, and also three full garbage bags to take out to the trash, well that's a large volume of reward for your efforts, but it's not going to get you very far.

That's the issue here, there's not a whole hell of a lot of point to most of what the game offers you. It cannot even meaningfully help you earn the things that you DO want, in most cases. Maybe the solution would be more of a shift away from blue and green "trash" gear, and more towards collectible tokens that can eventually be converted into fancy and uncommon items that you actually want.

I will say that I am not a player often - I wasn't able to hit 80 on the first game due to being sick, school, and just an odd playtime that had me playing solo. Heart of thorns was not an expansion I really cared about and hated that it blocked progress till I 'skilled up'. Path of fire was the one expansion I was super surprised by and loved. I was so happy for a fresh take on mounts in a game. Now, I go away for a few weeks due to being sick and breaking my finger I come back to discover, Loot boxes.

I know I am but one person, but I refuse to play games that have those glorified legal loophole gambling boxes for a friggin game. As such, as of this moment, I am uninstalling Guild Wars 2, and will not return until I hear that these boxes were removed. It was already sketchy with the black lion crates but those keys aren't nearly as bad as this attempt and this blocks an entire segment of content from players who do not put cash into gems.

I know this means nothing, nor do I expect you to remove them as that is just the state of the gambling gaming industry. I am completely disappointed and sad that ArenaNet went the way of Warner Brothers, EA, and Ubisoft.

A sincerely disappointed fan,

Victory

P.S. - I am in no way telling people to follow me, nor am I expecting a huge "OMG VICTORY LEFT" crap storm, as I am pretty much no one. But, what I am hoping is that with one less player, maybe.... maybe Arena net will use it to snap out of this greedy attempt at gambling. Just Maybe.

To ArenaNet: I wish you the best of luck, may this move bring you massive profits and I hope you are satisfied with taking advantage of this legal-loophole gambling bubble because with this move you lost a LOT of reputation.

@Jordan.5930 said:Do you feel Guild Wars 2 is rewarding?

NO. I've started threads on this issue, and left countless replies to the effect that 'NO, GW2 is NOT REWARDING!' And it's the number one thing killing the game for me right now. It took me about six months to completely max out two characters. And now, I don't have a fucking thing to do. When people talk about "fashion wars," I want to reach through my monitor and slap the stupid out of them. SKINS AND DYES ARE UTTERLY MEANINGLESS! Why would anybody subject themselves to a year of stomach-acid, learning to raid... just to pop out, on the other side, exactly the same as they started? Or... once you've bought your ad infinitum, and endless mist's omnipotion... why would you bother running fractals with terrible PUGs for relics you have nothing to spend on??

THIS GAME IS NOT REWARDING!!! And people who would LOVE to keep playing are quitting because of it. I have nothing that I want in this game. And I'm sorry, I'm not going to play it for the "joy" of the animations, or the absurd, horribly-acted story.

@jokke.6239 said:How is the new mount adoption thingies worse than the RNG loot that have ALWAYS excisted in GW2?Haven't played the game for a while, since launch of PoF. Woke up this morning to see a Jim Sterling video on GW2 in my subs on youtube. Went to reddit and official forums, and saw the outrage. Logged into the game to see how it worked, and don't see the big problem here compared to what is already in the game. I mean don't get me wrong, I have always hated the gambling elements in GW2, but it seemed like people rarely ever cared.These new lootboxes is better than so much gambling that already exist in the game. With the 400 per random mount you are at least guaranteed to get a mount skin, and you can't get the same one twice. Compare that to lets say dye kits, where there is a big chance of only getting dyes worth a couple silver.I've known many people in the game who have burned away 100's of $ on trying to get precursors in the mystic forge , many of those were full on addicts, who couldn't stop, many of those saw they had a problem and quit the game forever before they went to far.I hate lootboxes, but i'm no saint myself. Idiot me spent 4000 PoF gems on dye kits when I was bored, to try and get that permafrost dye, only to regret it big time ofc. I bought Shadow of War even though I hate the fact that we now have lootboxes in single player games. I'm part of the problem.I hope this trend will collapse soon, but this have always been part of GW2.Guild Wars 2 is probably my favorite game of all time, but this have always been a big negative for me in this game, fail to see how these new loot boxes that are actually better than so much gambling we've already seen in the game is now somehow big news.

The big difference to dye-kits is that you can buy all the dyes via TP. You don't have to gamble for them. Also, if you do gamble for them, you can dump unwanted dyes and get some gold in return. For mount skins there is no non-gambling way to acquire them and any unwanted skin is a complete loss.The big difference to precursors is also that you can buy all MyFo-pres on the TP. And if you gamble for pres you're not even encouraged to use gems. I'm gambling for pres on a regular basis with dungeon exotics.

The only thing in GW2 that is comparable to mount skins are account bound items in BLCs. Those are relatively new and no less despicable.

@ToxicScopes.9832 said:Honestly, I think it's pretty deplorable. The last thing this game needs is randomized loot boxes. It would be so much better getting at least a random skin for a selected mount.I honestly only support the microtransactions in this game because the devs haven't made it p2w in any way and they actually developed a good game but this is taking the Mickey.

This game has had randomized loot boxes since launch. Nobody cared because they could pay other players in gold to gamble in stead of doing it themselves. Doesn't change the fact that Anet is heavily monetizing a minority of the player base at the expense of the majority's selection of ingame rewards and always has been. When people buy skins or BL items for gold they are still supporting this business practice and actively saying to anet they'd rather be nickel and dimed a skin at a time than buy larger more content rich expansions at a standard game price point.

@Ohoni.6057 said:

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:We get so much loot in the game, we don't even realize it.

The fact is that we don't
need
very much in GW2 to succeed, so we tend to focus on things we don't need as being paramount.

I mean, the
quantity
of loot is fine, they give plenty of loot, but if it's not stuff that people actually value then it's not
really
loot. I mean if at the end of the week your boss hands you a paycheck for minimum wage, and also three full garbage bags to take out to the trash, well that's a large
volume
of reward for your efforts, but it's not going to get you very far.

That's the issue here, there's not a whole hell of a lot of point to most of what the game offers you. It cannot even meaningfully help you earn the things that you DO want, in most cases. Maybe the solution would be more of a shift away from blue and green "trash" gear, and more towards collectible tokens that can eventually be converted into fancy and uncommon items that you actually want.

You did a nice job of paraphrasing what I said: the game gives a lot of loot; it can't possibly be "good" loot as other games have, because we don't need special gear to succeed; and we dismiss the coin-value of "trash" loot as different from collectible tokens.

The literal way that RIBA is profitable is by selling that trash loot. We just dismiss it because it doesn't seem special.

One way to see this:

• Other games give expensive gifts, which might be the sweater you'll never wear or the mouse you had your eye on for months.
  • ANet gives us a gift certificate, good at the TP, allowing us to get whatever the heck we want.

As with RL gifts, some people prefer the first; it's more meaningful to them. And some prefer the latter, as they always get what they want.

Note by the way: when it comes to loot, we perceive random rare stuff as better than giving us a constant stream of little stuff that we can convert at our leisure to the rare stuff. But when it comes to stuff we buy with RL cash (or gems), we're the opposite: we want fixed stuff, not random.

ANET .. please speak up if you are actually reading these . because from where I sit I think you may be hoping the furor over this is going to go away.it's not. and I am not spending another dime with you till you fix it.

Your move has now made it onto major gaming publications. if you are in the camp of any press is good press, by all means .. continue on.. If notthen you need to back this up and unwind it and find another means. This is unacceptable.

i think the choice to make it completely impossible to get the same skin twice is good, but the money put into it is far too much for something based on rng. especially given some skins are just texture changes (not a bad thing design wise, because they're all really nice imo). i don't really have suggestions on how to better it, because i'm a little naive to how the whole videogame industry works.

i had an extra £10 to spare, on top of my 400 gems from my last purchase, so i got three skins and although i wasn't upset with my skins, but i wasn't really pleased with them either, the only consolation is next time i spend on gems, i would get something different... but i don't want to keep spending money on something i'm uncertain of. with gliders, i can see what i'm getting, it's not down to rng, it's a skin or two, so spending the money on gems is comfortable, but i don't feel comfortable just dropping, say, a tenner a month on gw2 just to get things i don't want. especially if new skins are going to keep being added to the pool. the price will just keep going up! i can't afford that, even if i'd like to.

it's worse, imo, that they're account bound. that really makes it sting that little bit more. you can't even sell the ones you don't want! you just need to re-roll next payday and live with the potential disappointment of not getting the skin you want again... but at least you won't get the one you already have!

i don't like gambling, i don't like how easily i could just keep saying "just one more license, just one more license, i can get the one i want, just one more", and i think that's what people mean by predatory. people with addictive personalities and problems with gambling will be up for spending £100+, and i fall into that category of addictive personality... it's not fun knowing the only thing stopping me from wasting my money is the fact i'm worried about making rent this month. some people might not have the same self control as me, and just fire right in... it's not fair on them. it feels sleazy. please don't be that way, anet, i've supported you financially when i could, but i couldn't, in good conscience, support a company that preys on people so vulnerable, intentionally or not.

@Fallesafe.5932 said:

@Jordan.5930 said:Do you feel Guild Wars 2 is rewarding?

NO
. I've started threads on this issue, and left countless replies to the effect that 'NO, GW2 is NOT REWARDING!' And it's the number one thing killing the game for me right now. It took me about six months to completely max out two characters. And now, I don't have a kitten thing to do. When people talk about "fashion wars," I want to reach through my monitor and slap the stupid out of them. SKINS AND DYES ARE UTTERLY MEANINGLESS! Why would anybody subject themselves to a year of stomach-acid, learning to raid... just to pop out, on the other side, exactly the same as they started? Or... once you've bought your ad infinitum, and endless mist's omnipotion... why would you bother running fractals with terrible PUGs for relics you have nothing to spend on??

THIS GAME IS NOT REWARDING!!! And people who would LOVE to keep playing are quitting because of it. I have nothing that I want in this game. And I'm sorry, I'm not going to play it for the "joy" of the animations, or the absurd, horribly-acted story.

You just flat out said the game is rewarding if you got 2 characters maxed out in 6 months.I've played about a year now and ain't got Jackal-Skritt

1. Gw2 is rewarding all the time. Most of the things are shared, content made for exotic equipment, ascendeds account bound, the possibility to drop and reduce the game after a while and be still capped, useless farm which allows you to just log in in order to have fun, and much more...

I really like the totale absence of progression, and I am sure it could help in order to heal those players now addicted after years of statsfarm+subscription mmos...

1. GEM STORE is not that rewarding recently, but Since it is fashion i don't really care, though I am disappointed and eventually feel sorry for those who like shinies. I thank those who buy black Lion keys because thanks to them i was able to buy things from TP.

Please add more bundles like the Halloween one. I want to buy skins that fit with my characters, and I'm not going to buy a skin for just one mount without knowing if that theme will ever be introduced to the other mounts. I think the pricing on the Halloween bundle was good, and would have bought it if it fit any of my characters. For other players, consider adding the ability to buy just one mount from the bundle for 500-ish gems.

The reforged hound and adoption license don't give me a bundle with a theme fitting my characters, so I won't buy those. In addition, these are way too expensive! I also don't spend any money on gambling, and I'm sad that such amazing skins can't be acquired any other way. Those flame-skins would make for a nice bundle I would buy for one of my elementalists, for the same price as the Halloween bundle. Please give us the ability to get these skins without gambling. I think 1600-2000 gems for a bundle of 5 is a good price, and 500-ish for one specific mount skin. I'm not going to spend 2000 gems on just one skin, no matter how amazing it might be.

Also, consider adding mount adoption licenses as in-game rewards. Black lion keys can be acquired as a reward for personal story completion, and we can pick a dye from the dye-gamble-packs with our birthday presents. It would be nice to get a mount license as a rare drop from some events in the desert, or something like that. It would also be nice to add the skins to the wardrobe unlock system (even though that's more gambling :( ).

I don't mind buying & spending 1000+ gems for each mount skin that I really like if I can pick them individually. Honestly, I'm never going to buy gems or convert my gold for this. This is a scummy business model and I'll never support it. I really think Anet didn't give this enough critical thought. It's even ironic because they did it hoping to drain our wallets but they ended up not earning much and losing a lot of respect from the community.

When will you guys understand that no one ever wants to buy skin bundles that include every mount??? I guarantee you that almost every player has a favourite mount and one that they almost never use except for puzzles or something. Then why the heck would I want to buy a skin bundle that includes skin for every mount even though I only use one of them for 99% of the time?? Excuse me but thats just stupid if I'd waste my money for that. I know that selling skins individually wont work for Anet moneywise since they get a lot more by selling bundles, and I understand that - they are a company and like every company they have to make profit. Therefore individual skins are never going to happen. Sorry to burst your bubble guys. However more and more people are starting the get angry with the "bundle-enforcement" and Anet should definitely do something about this. But what can Anet do against this without loosing too much profit?

Here are a few Ideas:1) Drop the price for a single license to 200 Gems (this one doesnt solve the unwanted mount skins and the RNG though)2) Introduce licenses that are mount-specific so players at least get a skin for the mount they like (I highly recommend this one eventhough the RNG Factor is still given!)3) Give 1 License as a special Monthly/Challenge/Story Reward/PVP-Reward: E.g. Completing an Expansion Pack/Having Done every Daily for 30 Days straight/ Completing special Achievments that are hard to do/Finishing a lot of PVP-Rewardtracks in a short timespan etc. ( This way Players can slowly but surely work their way to licenses and can also decide to buy licenses if this seems too grindy or slow for them - however this method rewards diligent players which is a huge plus. If some people can't afford the skins let them at least grind for it.)

It's rather simple, the game doesn't feel rewarding because you play the game to earn gold and then use that gold to buy what you want from the gem store.On the other hand, if content was giving out the rewards, the game would suddenly feel rewarding again.However, the problem with the open world is you can't really have exciting, and not behind heavy RNG, rewards because if 200 players kill a world boss and they all get the reward with 50% chance, then we'll need the next reward right away. They can't possibly add a new unique and amazing reward every day.The system that allows everyone to roll for their own rewards is what is killing the rewards in the open world. Although amazing in so many other aspects, when it comes to unique world boss rewards it's simply terrible. Because when everyone is rolling, it must have a very low chance of acquisition otherwise players will get their reward in two attempts and then complain that the game is not rewarding and need their next reward.So good things in the open world have abysmal chances of getting them, to combat this fact, but I can't see an easy way around it.

Instances is another story but not gonna open that can of worms, I'll stay with the Open World.