Official Mount Adoption Feedback Thread [merged]

@Deihnyx.6318 said:I am not suggesting anything. They are hurting their own cause by starting a fight between players when it's not the point.Again, people thinking their opinion is automatically righteous are hurting. They're not trying to convince, they're generating conflict.

Not supporting the guilds for kicking people as I wouldn't like myself to get kicked from one (I was kicked from one once because I was inactive for like 3 months... which was pretty much when I got in the guild... played a bit... wasn't around for Halloween or the rest of the year until January and was kicked. I did get back into the same guild recently, though).But I can also see why they're doing. Once again, not supporting the kicking, but I can see them doing it as, "I don't want people associated with ruining this game for everyone by being selfish and buying into this scheme which down the line will not only hurt us but those that bought into it as they will do even worse practices down the line to just see how far down the hole they can go until the community as a whole goes down. And if that's the case, get the hell out of my Guild!"

Like, yeah, it's kinda bad and somewhat wrong, but I can understand the reasoning why. I don't think it's hurting their cause either though.In fact, it looks kind of back on Arenanet's part I would say.I'm considered a newbie to this game with how long I've been playing, but from the little time I've been on? From the thousands of random people I've bumped into? I don't think even 10% of my encounters online in this game been bad.

People been caring, helpful, giving advice, porting people, making HP trains, helping people with missions or quests or reviving or whatever. The community as a whole (to each other) been wonderful.The only time I saw filth is when I go into the PvP lobby when I'm going for PvP Kills for the daily or the few times I've been in WvW and... yeah... but I will blame PvP as a whole for that as I usually consider PvP not nice in general as they're competing with everyone but their mother it seems.EITHER WAY, THOUGH.... if this whole situation is kind of making conflict start happening within the game between players, while yes it's the kicker's fault... I'm still going to have to blame Arenanet partially too.None of any of this would happen. Not the kicking, not these topics, not the merging, not the videos and backlash and Jim Sterling and blah blah blah if the RNG was never put in any of this at all.People ARE looking at that Mecha Ram as "That's the price...?" But no one is pissed at it. They think it's expensive but see no problem with it. They buy it or don't, but this RNG kind of made people in GW2 on edge. That's not good.

I personally have little to no interest in mount skins. I may have spent 400 gems on 1 or 2 if they appealed to me, but certainly wouldn't spend 400 gems on something random, that's just idiotic.

So now we're at 61 pages and counting, and even if I had the time to sift through all the messages, somehow I don't think I'm going to find 1 post in here that says something like "Wow Anet, this was such a good idea! I'm glad you put random skins in the gem store behind 400 gems" or "Having random skins behind 400 gems is a much better idea than having a choice"

Anet has proven in the past that they basically make changes when:

A ) Nobody ever asked for themB ) Maybe a small % of whiny players asked for on the forums

But more importantly: Has been quick to jump the gun to make additional changes based on a small amount of whiny players that ask for them, even when the change was a horrendous idea.

So based on this, it's safe to assume Anet will be reversing this decision on the gem store to make all the mount skins purchasable directly because frankly, it's not a small amount of players whining about it this time, we have a very large amount. So, when are we expecting the change..

@Sylv.5324 said:

@Deihnyx.6318 said:

Next time start kicking people having lots of merchant express or perma bank or whatever. And see how long it lasts.

You can buy them on the TP. Being able to do the same with these skins might have averted a lot of backlash.

A rare skin would have been 1k+, the gem equivalent of... 5 mounts.Don't get blinded by this gold/gem thing.

Also being able to sell means no more guaranteed new skin... making it worse actually.

Interestingly, Anet decided to close the thread I posted this in - instead of merging it with this thread. So I'll repost here for everyones' edification:

http://www.pcgamer.com/behind-the-addictive-psychology-and-seductive-art-of-loot-boxes/

"Dr Luke Clark, director at the Center for Gambling Research at the University of British Columbia. "We know that the dopamine system, which is targeted by drugs of abuse, is also very interested in unpredictable rewards. Dopamine cells are most active when there is maximum uncertainty, and the dopamine system responds more to an uncertain reward than the same reward delivered on a predictable basis.""

Certainly Anet knew what it was doing when it implemented any of the loot boxes. This is common knowledge in the game industry.

@Deihnyx.6318 said:

@Sylv.5324 said:

@Deihnyx.6318 said:

Next time start kicking people having lots of merchant express or perma bank or whatever. And see how long it lasts.

You can buy them on the TP. Being able to do the same with these skins might have averted a lot of backlash.

A rare skin would have been 1k+, the gem equivalent of... 5 mounts.Don't get blinded by this gold/gem thing.

Also being able to sell means no more guaranteed new skin... making it worse actually.

Which goes back go the whole argument of "We should've been able to buy the ones we wanted in the 1st place".

@Fire X.5184 said:

@shale.1543 said:

@SmirkDog.3160 said:Honestly I've always felt pretty loyal to this game since I first took part in the beta, but this is one of those things that makes me shake my head and actually consider (no matter how briefly) just leaving it behind. Making skins only purchasable in the gem store, sure whatever. But making yet another loot box/gamble item that's already overpriced? Black Lion Chest Keys are 150 each. These are 400? Why?

There's ways to make money with a cash shop that aren't morally corrupt. This isn't one of them. Extremely disappointed in ANet today, and equally disappointed in anyone that falls for this trap.

I totally agree with you, I feel the same :angry:

Oooooh trust me my good sir. I have seen to many people who have fallen into this trap today in LA.

Meh... Honestly the thought of not inviting people with skins into parties/booting them from parties is kind of lingering at this point...

Wait people boot people from parties because they got the new skins?

Well that's a disgusting behaviour. And just when I thought my opinion of some people couldn't get any lower.

@Deihnyx.6318 said:

@Deihnyx.6318 said:I am not suggesting anything. They are hurting their own cause by starting a fight between players when it's not the point.Again, people thinking their opinion is automatically righteous are hurting. They're not trying to convince, they're generating conflict.

You're saying they're not at fault, but they are.... they did vote with their wallets, for a long time possibly, and here we are.

Alienate the player base does do something - and it's a direct result from ANet's actions, and those that "voted"...

Aka "people thinking their opinion is automatically righteous".My "vote" is equals to yours, if I didn't have a problem back, I don't have to automatically have one now because you just realized now that RNG is a thing.

People blamed everything they could possibly blame. Anet of course, but also gambling itself, even though so many things in this world are subject to gambling.No selling gambling things to kids? What do you of trading cards?What do you do with RNG items you get in game with gold?What do you of ecto gambling?What do you do of BLC keys?What do you of RNG loot in general?

EVERYTHING is RNG, paid or not, hidden behind "gold" (so potential irl money) or not.And yes, even if you can buy the infamous permanent bank access, given its amount, if you strictly talk gem value it's much higher than these skins, yet somehow it's still wasn't a problem back then.

So KICKING people now, because somehow now the general consensus is that players decided this one wasn't going to pass, while they let it go for years, is absolutely stupid. It's stupid, it alienates players, and that's not gonna get you what you want.

You can either be a silent guy who simply give the feedback that they won't buy mounts until they can select, or you can find people to blame.Blaming it on gambling in general or whales is simply unacceptable.

@Deihnyx.6318 said:

@Deihnyx.6318 said:

@shale.1543 said:

@SmirkDog.3160 said:Honestly I've always felt pretty loyal to this game since I first took part in the beta, but this is one of those things that makes me shake my head and actually consider (no matter how briefly) just leaving it behind. Making skins only purchasable in the gem store, sure whatever. But making yet another loot box/gamble item that's already overpriced? Black Lion Chest Keys are 150 each. These are 400? Why?

There's ways to make money with a cash shop that aren't morally corrupt. This isn't one of them. Extremely disappointed in ANet today, and equally disappointed in anyone that falls for this trap.

Oooooh trust me my good sir. I have seen to many people who have fallen into this trap today in LA.

Meh... Honestly the thought of not inviting people with skins into parties/booting them from parties is kind of lingering at this point...

Not yet - but hey that's one way to further the message.

I think people are doing that now as we speak. I herd from a friend that people are being kicked from guilds because buying the RNG loot box skins is hurting the game.

Congratulations, these people are hurting their own cause.Shame on Anet they said? Nope. Shame on these people.

Hey love hurts as they say. Sometimes you need to have some tough love to know you did something wrong.

They didn't do anything wrong for getting skins they wanted.If you want to show anet they did something that is alienating the playerbase, this is definitely the worst way of doing so, by forcing your opinion down the throat of other players.Next time start kicking people having lots of merchant express or perma bank or whatever. And see how long it lasts.

Did nothing wrong? If you spend any money on something that is this type of RNG loot box corruption, taking advantage of people's addictions and so on your not helping by giving the company who made this gambling system your money. Your part of the problem or you have a problem. But hey i'm just one guy on the net. But I know who can help in this situation. Jim take it away

I am addicted to gambling, I simply won't take the easy path and blame each and every company that uses gambling methods. If you actually open your eyes, gambling is everywhere and this mount thing is the least hurtful we've gotten in a while.

Also it's a funny thing, you basically say that these gambling addicts are victim, but somehow it's not a problem to kick these victims in the name of revolution?Which side wins? Kicking these people or considering them victims?

Also, everyone is responsible for their actions, I am responsible for my addiction as much as a smoker is responsible for his.

Well I am sorry you have a gambling problem but let me be clear. The guild kicking I don't like but the party kicking like many have been saying, some people don't like to play with people who ruin the game for others. I have seen many players in LA saying they don't care what there doing is good or bad for the game so in term why should I or anyone else care if they get kicked from a party.

Guild is one thing but party, there are more fish in the sea as they say. All this mentality of "I don't care I get skins now" is telling anet "hey guys they love this new system let's keep doing it". What is going to happen when the next RNG loot boxes is added? And the next one? And the next one? It will spiral out of control and who will suffer from this? People who have gambling problems and people like myself who love the cosmetics they make and it's all thanks to the people who told me today "I don't care".

@Palador.2170 said:...It also means that they don't care all that much about the impact of their choices on other players, or they simply don't have the best judgement. Hardly something you want in a teammate, right? It's like kicking people that refuse to have correct gear for a raid or high level fractal because they're okay with everyone else on the team taking on more of a burden due to them.

Now, with all THAT said... bad behavior is bad behavior. Being a kitten is being a kitten. Don't be a badly behaved kitten.(We have real kittens for that, and I can guarantee they're cuter.)

@Deihnyx.6318 said:

You're saying they're not at fault, but they are.... they did vote with their wallets, for a long time possibly, and here we are.

Alienate the player base does do something - and it's a direct result from ANet's actions, and those that "voted"...

Aka "people thinking their opinion is automatically righteous".My "vote" is equals to yours, if I didn't have a problem back, I don't have to automatically have one now because you just realized now that RNG is a thing.

People blamed everything they could possibly blame. Anet of course, but also gambling itself, even though so many things in this world are subject to gambling.No selling gambling things to kids? What do you of trading cards?What do you do with RNG items you get in game with gold?What do you of ecto gambling?What do you do of BLC keys?What do you of RNG loot in general?

EVERYTHING is RNG, paid or not, hidden behind "gold" (so potential irl money) or not.And yes, even if you can buy the infamous permanent bank access, given its amount, if you strictly talk gem value it's much higher than these skins, yet somehow it's still wasn't a problem back then.

So KICKING people now, because somehow now the general consensus is that players decided this one wasn't going to pass, while they let it go for years, is absolutely stupid. It's stupid, it alienates players, and that's not gonna get you what you want.

You can either be a silent guy who simply give the feedback that they won't buy mounts until they can select, or you can find people to blame.Blaming it on gambling in general or whales is simply unacceptable.

@Deihnyx.6318 said:

@Deihnyx.6318 said:

@shale.1543 said:

I think people are doing that now as we speak. I herd from a friend that people are being kicked from guilds because buying the RNG loot box skins is hurting the game.

Congratulations, these people are hurting their own cause.Shame on Anet they said? Nope. Shame on these people.

Hey love hurts as they say. Sometimes you need to have some tough love to know you did something wrong.

They didn't do anything wrong for getting skins they wanted.If you want to show anet they did something that is alienating the playerbase, this is definitely the worst way of doing so, by forcing your opinion down the throat of other players.Next time start kicking people having lots of merchant express or perma bank or whatever. And see how long it lasts.

Did nothing wrong? If you spend any money on something that is this type of RNG loot box corruption, taking advantage of people's addictions and so on your not helping by giving the company who made this gambling system your money. Your part of the problem or you have a problem. But hey i'm just one guy on the net. But I know who can help in this situation. Jim take it away

I am addicted to gambling, I simply won't take the easy path and blame each and every company that uses gambling methods. If you actually open your eyes, gambling is everywhere and this mount thing is the least hurtful we've gotten in a while.

Also it's a funny thing, you basically say that these gambling addicts are victim, but somehow it's not a problem to kick these victims in the name of revolution?Which side wins? Kicking these people or considering them victims?

Also, everyone is responsible for their actions, I am responsible for my addiction as much as a smoker is responsible for his.

The bigger the shit show gets... the better. Believe me, it's getting somewhere.

(Also recall the slip-ups that ANet has made in the past...)

@Ayumi Spender.1082 said:

@Deihnyx.6318 said:

@Sylv.5324 said:

@Deihnyx.6318 said:

Which goes back go the whole argument of "We should've been able to buy the ones we wanted in the 1st place".

Not denying that at all. I do think the way they sell outfits and gliders is good enough.Only that this current system, while perfectible, isn't nearly as bad as people want to believe. And that it's certainly over reacting and counter productive to attack other players and kick them and whatever.

It's like if you want to go against RNG premiums in general fine, that's great! but do it right, BL chests are the real lootboxes, seasonal account bound items, and mount skins. And realize that ecto gambling uses gold and people buy gems to turn into gold to play the ecto gambling.... But don't just blame other players for buying RNG stuff while having spent years being ok with them. If nobody was buying RNG stuff, there wouldn't be any in TP to buy for anyone.

@Palador.2170 said:

@Deihnyx.6318 said:They didn't do anything wrong for getting skins they wanted.That depends on your point of view.

Every person that buys into this is yet another reason for ANet to not only keep it, but do it again. This is bad for the playerbase. Hurting the playerbase hurts the game in the long run.

There's a saying I've loved from the first time I read it. "No single raindrop believes it is to blame for the flood." Everyone that buys into this is in part responsible for it.

It also means that they don't care all that much about the impact of their choices on other players, or they simply don't have the best judgement. Hardly something you want in a teammate, right? It's like kicking people that refuse to have correct gear for a raid or high level fractal because they're okay with everyone else on the team taking on more of a burden due to them.

Now, with all THAT said... bad behavior is bad behavior. Being a kitten is being a kitten. Don't be a badly behaved kitten.(We have real kittens for that, and I can guarantee they're cuter.)

The thing is, with statements like

Every person that buys into this is yet another reason for ANet to not only keep it, but do it again. This is bad for the playerbase. Hurting the playerbase hurts the game in the long run.you're making unsupported assertions based on your opinion. It is your opinion that it is bad for the playerbase. An opinion that I not only don't share, but feel is laughably obtuse.

And if you're kicking people from parties/guilds because they don't share your opinions that's like... Trump levels of wrong.

@Rashagar.8349 said:

@Palador.2170 said:

@Deihnyx.6318 said:They didn't do anything wrong for getting skins they wanted.That depends on your point of view.

Every person that buys into this is yet another reason for ANet to not only keep it, but do it again. This is bad for the playerbase. Hurting the playerbase hurts the game in the long run.

There's a saying I've loved from the first time I read it. "No single raindrop believes it is to blame for the flood." Everyone that buys into this is in part responsible for it.

It also means that they don't care all that much about the impact of their choices on other players, or they simply don't have the best judgement. Hardly something you want in a teammate, right? It's like kicking people that refuse to have correct gear for a raid or high level fractal because they're okay with everyone else on the team taking on more of a burden due to them.

Every person that buys into this is yet another reason for ANet to not only keep it, but do it again. This is bad for the playerbase. Hurting the playerbase hurts the game in the long run.you're making unsupported assertions based on your opinion. It is your opinion that it is bad for the playerbase. An opinion that I not only don't share, but feel is laughably obtuse.

And if you're kicking people from parties/guilds because they don't share your opinions that's like... Trump levels of wrong.

And adding to the fire aka paying anet for a bad system does nothing to help the game. And really...really...you had to put trump into this... >.<

@Fire X.5184 said:

@Deihnyx.6318 said:

@Deihnyx.6318 said:

@Deihnyx.6318 said:

@shale.1543 said:

Well I am sorry you have a gambling problem but let me be clear. The guild kicking I don't like but the party kicking like many have been saying, some people don't like to play with people who ruin the game for others. I have seen many players in LA saying they don't care what there doing is good or bad for the game so in term why should I or anyone else care if they get kicked from a party.

Guild is one thing but party, there are more fish in the sea as they say. All this mentality of "I don't care I get skins now" is telling anet "hey guys they love this new system let's keep doing it". What is going to happen when the next RNG loot boxes is added? And the next one? And the next one? It will spiral out of control and who will suffer from this? People who have gambling problems and people like myself who love the cosmetics they make and it's all thanks to the people who told me today "I don't care".

Well, if you can successfully delude yourself into thinking that by buying mount skins those people are ruining the game for others and are wrong to do so but your choice to ostracise them based on their gem purchases isn't ruining the game for others and you are right to do so... assuming this isn't just attention-seeking idiocy you're spouting, then I really think you would benefit from some self-reflection.

@Fire X.5184 said:

@Rashagar.8349 said:

@Palador.2170 said:

And adding to the fire aka paying anet for a bad system does nothing to help the game. And really...really...you had to put trump into this... >.<

What can I say, I thought the most bafflingly ridiculous thing I'd hear all week had come out of his mouth, but you managed to... trump him. =P

@Rashagar.8349 said:

@Deihnyx.6318 said:

@Deihnyx.6318 said:

@Deihnyx.6318 said:

@shale.1543 said:

Well, if you can successfully delude yourself into thinking that by buying mount skins those people are ruining the game for others and are wrong to do so but your choice to ostracise them based on their gem purchases isn't ruining the game for others and you are right to do so... assuming this isn't just attention-seeking idiocy you're spouting, then I really think you would benefit from some self-reflection.

You don't know how loot boxes work do you....I mean it's not like EA and Activision have had a big controversy over this all ready...oh wait! But all sarcasm aside it is a slippery slope. First it's RNG boxes for skins for mounts, then its RNG boxes for out fits, then its RNG boxes for dye's...oh wait..they already have that...then it's RNG boxes for and dare I say it, gear.

So when I and many other's feel buying the RNG loot boxes for skins will hurt gw2 you better believe it because we have seen it before and if you don't think it will hurt the game/community I implore you to look into the EA and activison controversy

@Rashagar.8349 said:

@Rashagar.8349 said:

@Palador.2170 said:

What can I say, I thought the most bafflingly ridiculous thing I'd hear all week had come out of his mouth, but you managed to... trump him. =P

I can only give you props for the pun and that's it

you're making unsupported assertions based on your opinion. It is your opinion that it is bad for the playerbase. An opinion that I not only don't share, but feel is laughably obtuse.

What support would you like? Do we need to drag someone from ANET corporate and somehow get them to admit that people who buy into the whole RNG adoption supports more of these practices? I feel it's just intuitive that these practices just keep accessibility of these in game goods out of the hands of their more general player population, who have absolutely no problem spending money if it was a more sure thing, in favor of the profits they can squeeze out of a very small player population willing to fork over a ton of money in these gambles. Do they have the freedom to? Sure. Is it also a totally shit practice that people equally have the right to call out and protest? Fuck yeah.

This. If they had just sold individual mount skins at say a typical outfit cost of 700-800ish, literally no one would have even raised an eyebrow at this. I probably would have dropped 20 dollars myself.

But don't just blame other players for buying RNG stuff while having spent years being ok with them.

Nothing else has been quite as extensively cut from general accessibility. Maybe you can't easily get the super rare skins from the blc but there are so many other good alternatives. And with dyes they're a matter of being a few shades off from the exact color you want. I'll settle for a dark grey as I wait for my pure black. There's literally no access to mount skins you may want unless you roll the dice or cough up money for the package or extra nice "limited time" jackal.

I doubt they're reading this for suggestions but... maybe change the implementation so that like every 3rd ticket you buy you get to choose the mount rather than RNG. That way people would still buy multiple skins at a time (which is what they really wanted when they designed this system) but at least SOME of the RNG would be mitigated.

As a side note, I'm really just kind of done with GW2 if they don't change this. You can say I'm overreacting all you want but I was just really looking forward to getting mount skins. I got the Ultimate edition just so that I would have some gems to get mounts, naively thinking that it would be similar to how you get gliders. I only have about 2000 gems left (spent some on inventory/bank/character slots) thinking it would be enough. Well... it would get me 5 skins which means I'd have a1/6 chance of getting a specific which is ridiculous. I'm trying here, but I just can't not feel a bit betrayed by all of this.

@Fire X.5184 said:

@Deihnyx.6318 said:

@Deihnyx.6318 said:

@Deihnyx.6318 said:

@shale.1543 said:

I don't think many people are telling you they don't care. I do care. I wish my casual friend could get back in game, get the mount he wants and have fun with it. I get it.What I don't get, nor accept, is the total overreaction on this particular topic.We HAVE to be honest here, it's less about the fact it's a new RNG and more about the fact that this time around, really a LOT more people want these skins for many reasons (cause mounts are cooler than gliders, cause it's really new, cause there's no alt skin in game) etc. And lots of these "people" aren't used to gamble for what they want, like some of us are. This doesn't mean they get to step in and call Anet (and other players) names.

I do support every person in this thread coming up with ideas to make this system better - while still making it a win for Anet. The solution HAS to be a win for Anet too, because it's in our interest as players to have a game that last for a long time.There were quite a few interesting solutions, and I'm sure they're looking at it right now.But let's be honest, involving infamous youtubers that will compare this to EA/Activision level of BS was taking it too far. Kicking people is taking it too far. The top 1 priority for Anet will be to make money, it's how it is and we have to accept it, now we just need to convince them that the way for them to make more money is by trusting all these people who calmly said they would support anet if they drop RNG... and not fighting each other.It needs to deescalate or everyone will lose.

I'm not sure what good this will do, but here are my thoughts on how to address the issues people have with this.

1. Improving In-Game Mounts: Firstly, add more dye channels to existing mounts as a short-term solution, please. This would make lots of people happy. Secondly, the next few skins that you guys create should be added to content in the game. It would be easy to take it from the 30-pack, but that doesn't seem fair to someone who bought a ticket and earned it that way with Gems/gold when it could be earned in-game.
  2. Add Specific Mounts to the TP: I can't imagine seeing all 30 mounts as specific purchases from the Gem Store at once, but I can see Limited-Time offers popping up with a few of the more fancy mounts. This suggestion is designed to give people the option to periodically have access to mounts from the 30-mount pack as single purchases. (The reason I keep on suggesting the specific purchases be limited-time is so that there is still some value left in the 30-pack.)
  3. Add more 5-mount packs from the 30-mount selection. It's too big for some of us. I thought the Spooky Mount pack was fine in size and variety. This wouldn't be a lottery version but it would be purchasing a 5-pack for a set amount of gems. It could also be rotated in the Gem Store and be limited-time.
  4. Add some of the skins (the simpler ones maybe) from the pack into Black Lion Chests as items we can sell on the Trading Post.
  5. It goes without saying that a pack as big as the 30-pack shouldn't be implimented again.

I'd probably get a few of the mounts of it had these other options for acquiring them. I also think adding more dye channels as well as a few mount skins to the base game (only 1 per mount) would make lots of people happy, especially if they were something to work towards.

@Fire X.5184 said:

@Rashagar.8349 said:

@Deihnyx.6318 said:

@Deihnyx.6318 said:

@Deihnyx.6318 said:

@shale.1543 said:

You don't know how loot boxes work do you....I mean it's not like EA and Activision have had a big controversy over this all ready...oh wait! But all sarcasm aside it is a slippery slope. First it's RNG boxes for skins for mounts, then its RNG boxes for out fits, then its RNG boxes for dye's...oh wait..they already have that...then it's RNG boxes for and dare I say it, gear.

So when I and many other's feel buying the RNG loot boxes for skins will hurt gw2 you better believe it because we have seen it before and if you don't think it will hurt the game/community I implore you to look into the EA and activison controversy

It's exactly because of their big recent controversies that I think that most of this "outrage" bullkitten is misplaced and coming from people who, quite honestly from their posts in this thread, don't know how loot boxes work.They're jumping on an outrage bandwagon because it feels nice, with no actual understanding of the underlying principles or the shades of grey, and a bullthick refusal to educate themselves when they could just instead rely on emotive diatribe, broad sweeping statements and the use of fashionable buzzwords.