Official Mount Adoption Feedback Thread [merged]

@pah.4931 said:

This is not a game about skill or cosmetics.

Yeah, it is. It has been through two iterations, GW1 and GW2. You're right, though, after this debacle, I'm not having fun. But I _am _going to criticise them for ruining my fun with RNG schemes, since I now have all this free time.

@Sylv.5324 said:

@Jaskar.3071 said:

@Camaro Charr.2805 said:Hey I spent 400 gems on a random mount. It came up Highland Harrier, but I do not show the option to mount the Highland Harrier in game. What gives?

Its a SKIN.there is an option to change mount skins in the hero-menu

In the hero menu it is showing as locked for me... has a lock symbol over it.

Let me guess... because I don't have the original griffon mount, then I cant use it... crap

Thank you for illustrating why the current method is garbage.

Okay A-net, at least give people a "random" skin they can use. Thus far I have given you 400 of my gems for nothing.

@troops.8276 said:

And why do you take the stance that anyone that doesn't agree with you has no experience in either the corporate world and/or running a successful business when some of us do? (I assume I'm not the only one)

I used to run an art gallery a while back, and currently make fab money as someone who is self-employed. You can sell things without gambling schemes.

@pah.4931 said:

@Erulogos.2591 said:

@pah.4931 said:But I support Anet's decision to attempt to create more profits without ANY negative impact on game design.

This right here is where you and others differ strongly. If this method actually does make the money for Anet you believe it will, what are the odds of us being able to get mounts any other way? They won't give us achievement mount skins when they can make money from the same art team effort. And face the fact, this is not a game about skill, it is a game about cosmetics, so access to those cosmetics really does impact the game design.

Hmm. I would say since there currently is a skin for sale for 2000 gems without any RNG, that kinda kills your argument that "we won't be able to get mount SKINS any other way" ... right??

This is not a game about skill or cosmetics. It's a game about fun. If you have fun playing it, then you'll be glad that folks buying loot boxes might get you another expansion or two. If you don't have fun playing it, then why are you playing it. :P

@pah.4931 said:

@Erulogos.2591 said:

@pah.4931 said:But I support Anet's decision to attempt to create more profits without ANY negative impact on game design.

This right here is where you and others differ strongly. If this method actually does make the money for Anet you believe it will, what are the odds of us being able to get mounts any other way? They won't give us achievement mount skins when they can make money from the same art team effort. And face the fact, this is not a game about skill, it is a game about cosmetics, so access to those cosmetics really does impact the game design.

Hmm. I would say since there currently is a skin for sale for 2000 gems without any RNG, that kinda kills your argument that "we won't be able to get mount SKINS any other way" ... right??

This is not a game about skill or cosmetics. It's a game about fun. If you have fun playing it, then you'll be glad that folks buying loot boxes might get you another expansion or two. If you don't have fun playing it, then why are you playing it. :P

There exist people in this world who have fun with dressing up their characters and in extension their mounts in an MMO that is about dressing up their characters and lose out on fun if they cannot dress them up the way they want without paying in a roundabout way for something while wasting most of the money, who'd have thunk?

@Galactic.6453 said:

@pah.4931 said:

@Erulogos.2591 said:

@pah.4931 said:

@Erulogos.2591 said:

There exist people in this world who have fun with dressing up their characters and in extension their mounts in an MMO that is about dressing up their characters and lose out on fun if they cannot dress them up the way they want without paying in a roundabout way for something while wasting most of the money, who'd have thunk?

And some people really enjoy loot boxes. OK. Cool.

Yeah, 'this game isn't about cosmetics' is one of the silliest arguments I've heard in this thread so far. I really have no idea why people are trying arguments like that, is it just trolling at this point? Which is productive how? If the intention is to get me more disgusted with ANet, it's working, I guess, since that's the attitude they want to foster now?

I regret ever spending a dime on this game, and its previous iteration. What a waste of time and money.

@Sylv.5324 said:

@pah.4931 said:

@Sylv.5324 said:

@pah.4931 said:

And frankly, if you like this game, you should too.

Of course I like this game, that's why I'm ticked off that the reason I bought this xpac was gated behind 'gamble or pay a further $120 for a limited time to get the skin you want'. I already paid for the ultimate edition, why was this not included, if they were that desperate for cash?

OK. First of all. Anet never promised Mount Skins with the expansion at all. I can't recall a single marketing device that stated mounts would even have skins. So you can't claim that first point. You bought PoF as it was advertised.

Second of all, if they indeed are "strapped for cash" then why would they include something for free in a package that you bought without them including it? You see how that's silly right? (I still feel like most of you need business lessons ... "making money" isn't enough when you have bosses and investors and boards of directors)

Now let me ask you something. Would you have bought PoF if they announced there would never be any mount skins? If you still would have, then just go ahead and pretend there aren't any mount skins. Boom. Have fun!

Responses like yours are pretty much cementing my resolve never to spend a dime on ANet again, because they have enabled and encouraged this disingenuousness and condescension. Thanks for saving me money!

Does logic often resolve you to not spend money in other realms? Or is logic just toxic to you in video games?

People need to stop thinking with their hearts. This is a very emotional reaction to a very logical decision.

And anyone who is against Anet trying to make more money, please work next week for free at your job. And never, ever ask for a raise. Lest you be yet another "greedy bastard", eh?

@pah.4931 said:

@Galactic.6453 said:

@pah.4931 said:

@Erulogos.2591 said:

@pah.4931 said:

@Erulogos.2591 said:

In that case they can just put in an option for lootboxes for those who enjoy lootboxes and an option for direct purchase for those who enjoy having choice and it'd be perfect for everyone, right?

@Sylv.5324 said:Yeah, 'this game isn't about cosmetics' is one of the silliest arguments I've heard in this thread so far. I really have no idea why people are trying arguments like that, is it just trolling at this point? Which is productive how? If the intention is to get me more disgusted with ANet, it's working, I guess, since that's the attitude they want to foster now?

I regret ever spending a dime on this game, and its previous iteration. What a waste of time and money.

So your argument is that everyone plays this game for the same reason and that is cosmetics? Or, now that I worded it out for you, did you want to change that position??

There are a lot of reasons to play this game. It isn't a Dress Up simulator and was never marketed it as such. How your character looks is an aspect of the game, like EVERY MMO EVER MADE, but that is not its purpose... It exists for a social and fun gaming experience.

And, for the record, I think it's 100% cool to get on these forums and express your feedback on how this was implemented.

What chaps my behind is all the hate at Anet for doing nothing wrong. This isn't even morally gray. They are not evil villains. They have data showing this will make them more money and thus they are trying to make more money. That is not evil.

Also, I enjoy a good debate :D

@pah.4931 said:

@Sylv.5324 said:

@pah.4931 said:

@Sylv.5324 said:

@pah.4931 said:

Of course I like this game, that's why I'm ticked off that the reason I bought this xpac was gated behind 'gamble or pay a further $120 for a limited time to get the skin you want'. I already paid for the ultimate edition, why was this not included, if they were that desperate for cash?

OK. First of all. Anet never promised Mount Skins with the expansion at all. I can't recall a single marketing device that stated mounts would even have skins. So you can't claim that first point. You bought PoF as it was advertised.

Second of all, if they indeed are "strapped for cash" then why would they include something for free in a package that you bought without them including it? You see how that's silly right? (I still feel like most of you need business lessons ... "making money" isn't enough when you have bosses and investors and boards of directors)

Now let me ask you something. Would you have bought PoF if they announced there would never be any mount skins? If you still would have, then just go ahead and pretend there aren't any mount skins. Boom. Have fun!

Responses like yours are pretty much cementing my resolve never to spend a dime on ANet again, because they have enabled and encouraged this disingenuousness and condescension. Thanks for saving me money!

Does logic often resolve you to not spend money in other realms? Or is logic just toxic to you in video games?

People need to stop thinking with their hearts. This is a very emotional reaction to a very logical decision.

And anyone who is against Anet trying to make more money, please work next week for free at your job. And never, ever ask for a raise. Lest you be yet another "greedy kitten", eh?

Here you go with your strawman again. No one is against Anet making more money. It's against Anet making more money with dishonest means.

It exists for a social and fun gaming experience.

Says who, you? Why is your opinion worth more than that of someone who predominantly likes the dressup?

@Dondarrion.2748 said:Been away from game on holiday a week and you managed to burn down your own house with a little thought through solution, Anet. Just imagine if you had dropped the adoption licenses with option to pick your skin instead of the rng... you'd have avoided 95% of the kitten, which is highly warranted given how you chose to implement this.I've yet to return from holiday and haven't even seen the 30 skins but the few i saw even look like hardly any change in model, and i can't fathom anyone would buy even half of them... in which case the rng element seems to conceal anothrr worrying trend; like BL chests that it is ok to reward cash gambling with "trash" items...

http://dulfy.net/2017/11/07/gw2-black-lion-mount-adoption-license-mount-skins/

.> @Sylv.5324 said:

@pah.4931 said:

If ANet wants to primarily be a loot box reward game now, I am definitely out.

They had a lootbox when they launched with the Black Lion chests. So now after adding the adoption contract which is far less "gambling" than a traditional loot box, you equate that to being a primarily loot box reward game?

@Galactic.6453 said:

@pah.4931 said:

@Sylv.5324 said:

@pah.4931 said:

@Sylv.5324 said:

@pah.4931 said:

And anyone who is against Anet trying to make more money, please work next week for free at your job. And never, ever ask for a raise. Lest you be yet another "greedy kitten", eh?

Here you go with your strawman again. No one is against Anet making more money. It's against Anet making more money with dishonest means.

Says who, you? Why is your opinion worth more than that of someone who predominantly likes the dressup?

1) How is it dishonest? You can't just throw words around. They have meaning. Anet never once lied.

2) So, again, your argument is that EVERY SINGLE PERSON who plays GW2 is playing it to play dress up? And that is the correct opinion. And my opinion that people have tons of different reasons to play is the one that needs to be defended. Man, public schools are really failing us, aren't they?

But if you refuse to believe basic logic about GW2 reason to exist, here is Anet's take on it. Let me know how heavily "playing dress up" is featured in the write up:

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/guild-wars-2-design-manifesto/

@AlexanderDracul.7492 said:I don't think it's fair to blame the devs since it could be an NCsoft analyst telling GW2 to implement something, but I hope there is a change of some sort to the system.

If this was an NCsoft thing, then it's even more important to show them, that GW2's community does not support the same rng-box mayhem that other games get away with.

@Sylv.5324 said:Don't care, spending my hundreds a month elsewhere. GLHF.

This is how loyalty for over a decade is destroyed.

Good luck! If you find a great new MMO that really strikes your fancy, let me know! It's getting bleak out there for games as huge and awesome and freeing as these.

@pah.4931 said:

@Sylv.5324 said:

@pah.4931 said:

@Sylv.5324 said:

@pah.4931 said:

What rubbish. Those are totally false equivalencies. And if people stop thinking with their hearts then they could quite easily just walk away from this franchise. If people truly did only spend with pure logical analysis then huge sectors of industry and manufacturing would decline. Do you even realise what you're asking for? And you seem to claim to be some sort of an expert in business. There is all ways a balance between maximum profit and alienating your client base in an open market.

So! I'm still a little shaky on this argument but, i see what people are getting mad at, this is for those who are still confused or wondering, "Whats all the drama for?" The problem with the mount skin issue is not the cosmetic skins but, how its being presented.        You buy an** "Adoption Contract"** you use it to get a mount skin. BUT that skin is at random so lets say you wanted the **"FlameLander"** Raptor skin. But, you don't get it because remember you get a mount skin at **RANDOM**. RNG(Random Number Generator) so instead you get the **"Spotted Sylph"** Griffon skin. This is what people are mad at. The random game or gambling with the Loot Box trend. People want to be able to pick out what they want without having to buy more  **"Adoption Contracts"** to hopefully get what they want. As far as i'm aware Anet has plenty of other ways to make money without having to get people get these contracts so that the players can try to get what they want.

This is what I know of so far. The reason i'm still so shaky on this is because I don't see a problem with loot boxes since a lot of the time its cosmetic stuff. Even with the BLC because it mostly consists of weapon skins and permanent contracts (can only be found in those) and a few items from the Gem Store. Something I like to gamble for to make gold in for legendary crafting. haha

@Sylv.5324 said:Don't care, spending my hundreds a month elsewhere. GLHF.

This is how loyalty for over a decade is destroyed.

In fairness, if it's "destroyed" this easily and quickly, it can't have been a very sturdy loyalty to begin with. You weren't able to buy in completely to the latest cosmetic craze in a way that 100% suited you immediately upon release of said new craze. I don't mean it to seem like I'm picking on you or anything but I think that says more about the quality of your "loyalty" than anything.

@pah.4931 said:

@Galactic.6453 said:

@pah.4931 said:

@Sylv.5324 said:

@pah.4931 said:

@Sylv.5324 said:

@pah.4931 said:

1) How is it dishonest? You can't just throw words around. They have meaning. Anet never once lied.

2) So, again, your argument is that EVERY SINGLE PERSON who plays GW2 is playing it to play dress up? And that is the correct opinion. And my opinion that people have tons of different reasons to play is the one that needs to be defended. Man, public schools are really failing us, aren't they?

But if you refuse to believe basic logic about GW2 reason to exist, here is Anet's take on it. Let me know how heavily "playing dress up" is featured in the write up:

1) How about you read my entire post in the last page.2) No, that is not my opinion, not me, nor anyone ever implied that and you just argued against your statement because you seem to think that dressup is not a valid form of enjoying the game because it's not in the manifesto. And you seem to be unaware that before they launched that there were lots of blogposts on the old anet blog about the hundreds of dye channels and the ability to mix and match gear, so dressup is certainly part of their intention for the game.

Edit well looks like the post is at the top of this page now