Official Mount Adoption Feedback Thread [merged]

I am against loot boxes, will never buy them. I am no big spender in the gem store but at 5€ I would consider buying 1 for each mount, and would definitely buy my favourite even if I had to gold to gems to get it. At 10€ per mount, I might buy my favourite in the future. At any kind of gambling for the one I want, I spend nothing and risk nothing.This is just my personal threshold.

With my personal levels out of the way, I would like to say that I personally feel that whoever made this decision has forgotten that this is a game. The collection rewards have gotten quite good, Caladbolg quest in particular I really enjoyed.If there was a caladbolg like quest for one of these mount skins, even the low effort just add a few dye channels and (slightly) change the channel pattern, I would have eaten it up and earned that mount. I would have then been encouraged to spend some money/gems on buying the gem store mount skin I really loved, if it was not random (I'm a simple man, you give me fun quests and I like how you do stuff, I buy a small gem pack. Otherway around I don't.)

I'm no whale so your market management people probably don't care, but this is a player unfriendly decision in my book.

@kharmin.7683 said:

@Kalibri.5861 said:A development diary or roadmap which said, "Hey guys, we have a financial need to implement this system because the game isn't sustainable, and here you can see the costs versus revenues," or whatever would have gone a very long way to smoothing this out before it became the disaster that it was bound to be.

I can't see any board of directors approving such a message.

Maybe, but that doesn't change the fact that it would be beneficial. They'd have a community behind them rather than against them.

Why do you think crowd funding works? Look at Star Citizen.

@Gaile Gray.6029 said:

@Kapax.3801 said:At the end is there any official news from anet? or are you still reading feedback? :/I ask because the days pass and there are people who already spent money on this.

Yes, we absolutely
are
reading all your feedback.

Hi GaileIt is nice to hear. I'm interested however, when are we going to hear your feedback? So far, the publicity has been... mildly disastrous. Anet got probably the largest PR event since HoT release.

Is the company going to issue some kind of statement maybe?

Something that just popped in my brain by itself:There are a bunch of people who look at this issue and think Anet must be financially struggling, or they will never use this low tactics to monetize player numbers.But, what if it is the other way around? What if they feel so comfortable with the actual standing of the game, that they don't fear to implement widely unpopular commercial strategies to catch the unaware or gullible?

Analyzing in my own case:

• While I mostly despise RNG, I do buy keys from time to time just to support Anet, without ever expecting anything. I see them as "fun" donations, not as buying something.
  • I'm frankly disgusted by the RNG mount skin idea. But it is a superficial disgust: It doesn't make me feel the game is worse or affect my willing to play it.
  • In fact, I know I will never quit the game just because some cosmetic thing is being commercialized in a shark-like way to other people.
  • I'm pretty sure this incident, with all the noise and ripples it has made, will be forgotten or perceived as unimportant for the great majority in a few months, like what happened with the Immortal Weapons Set, the Privateer one, the invisible shoes, sprocket mining tool and a long list of similar problems with the interaction between RNG and cash in the acquisition of items in the game.

What if they have detected the game is so good for a fair amount of players, we won't leave it no matter what happen with the "transactions" aspect?

@Ardid.7203 said:Something that just popped in my brain by itself:There are a bunch of people who look at this issue and think Anet must be financially struggling, or they will never use this low tactics to monetize player numbers.But, what if it is the other way around? What if they feel so comfortable with the actual standing of the game, that they don't fear to implement widely unpopular commercial strategies to catch the unaware or gullible?

GW2 sales make it seem like the game is somewhat in decline, but we don't really know the story on production costs, so it looks... not great, but uncertain.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/7bzor8/arenanet_a_complete_history_of_earnings_since_2005/

I think some of the level of disgust I'm seeing around here is, quite frankly, ridiculous.

These are vanity items. In no way does one have any extra benefit -- no bonuses whatsoever aside from 'looking pretty' -- from owning them. Do I think that the system could have been implemented better? Of course, tbh. I would have rolled out the RNG mount system at LEAST based on a 'per type of mount' idea so that others would have a more controlled choice in what they were purchasing. The current system, however, doesn't make me want to riot like some people here are doing. I mean, come on folks... there are actually huge issues in this world and some of the outrage I'm reading in this thread definitely falls in the category of ludicrous.

@Djinn.9245 said:

@Fluffball.8307 said:

@Djinn.9245 said:

@Fluffball.8307 said:

@Djinn.9245 said:

@Fluffball.8307 said:

@Nocturn.8904 said:

@Fluffball.8307 said:I don't care in any way about
any
of this, which I realize is a stupid thing to post, but I want some sort of balance to the likely false outrage of a certain percentage of the population.

Thank you for that wise insight.

Edit: was my sarcasm apparent enough? I didn't want to be too smarmy if I could avoid it, but I want to make sure the point comes across clearly.

It's not insight. It's a bunch of teenagers whining about something thinking they're changing the world by fighting big corporations. In reality, this isn't a big deal, and anet is not North Korea or Comcast or whatever the kids are raging against these days. This is a complete non issue.

I'm glad it's a non-issue for you. As for customers being able to change big corporations: have you heard of CocaCola? Read up on New Coke.

Oh the customers absolutely can change corporations. And what better issue to rage over than mount skins? This will be on CNN for making the world a better place.

Oh I see, I'm only allowed to criticize corporations if the subject is making the world a better place? Sorry, as a consumer I have many issues I am concerned with, including something that is supposed to be entertainment, not a rigged means of trying to get more of my money than I am willing to spend.

No, of course you can do anything you want. But this whole thing is pretty silly, you must admit. Either buy them or don't: the end.

What I don't understand is why you're trying to influence how other people handle the situation. Why not just let them also do as they like?

For the purpose of your illumination:How some of these other people you're championing handle the situation, according to previous posts in this thread:

Kicking people who've bought these skins from parties.(Along with justifications for why they believe acting like a totalitarian geebag was morally right of them).Verbal harassment/abuse of people who've bought these skins in in-game chat.Actively trying to sabotage the reputation of the game, in an effort to get their own way in the short term with no view as to the effects of their actions on long term health of the game they purportedly care about.

Never mind the morally-charged, inaccurate, judgment-laden words used in some of this "feedback" like cheat, scam, predatory, manipulative to describe Anet's motives, all of which are just. not.... true.It's like, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but they're not entitled to their opinion being unchallenged.And it's these sorts of manipulative lies and disgusting behaviours that I'm going to continue to try call out in the community when I see them, just as you think you need to call it out in Anet's behaviour. I know it's futile to try change the mind of anyone on the internet, never mind people laden with self righteous indignation that their preferences weren't catered to immediately upon release of these mount skins. But what can I say, I suffer from "Someone is Wrong on the Internet!" syndrome.

The reaction has been misplaced, overblown, and stupid.I fully support people voicing their opinions and preferences, but that support doesn't come with immunity from having those opinions critiqued. Nor the methods they have used to have those opinions heard, or more accurately, felt.

@pallas.8150 said:I think some of the level of disgust I'm seeing around here is, quite frankly, ridiculous.

These are vanity items. In no way does one have any extra benefit -- no bonuses whatsoever aside from 'looking pretty' -- from owning them. Do I think that the system could have been implemented better? Of course, tbh. I would have rolled out the RNG mount system at LEAST based on a 'per type of mount' idea so that others would have a more controlled choice in what they were purchasing. The current system, however, doesn't make me want to riot like some people here are doing. I mean, come on folks... there are actually huge issues in this world and some of the outrage I'm reading in this thread definitely falls in the category of ludicrous.

People care about this a lot. Maybe you don't, and that's okay, but try and accept that for what it is. Things affect different people differently, but clearly there are a lot of people who this affects more strongly than you. That doesn't mean they're wrong. Do you agree?

@Ayumi Spender.1082 said:Well, I went and checked as I was busy earlier so I didn't see the moment it was changed.Seeing that they updated the Gem Store and it's still the same, it is safe to say this won't get changed at all.Oh well.

Despite the fact that many game sites, WP, dulfy (who is usually neutral about these things) condemn the practice, and there is a heavy community backlash? Anet cannot afford to take all this heat.

@AegisRunestone.8672 said:

@Ayumi Spender.1082 said:Well, I went and checked as I was busy earlier so I didn't see the moment it was changed.Seeing that they updated the Gem Store and it's still the same, it is safe to say this won't get changed at all.Oh well.

Despite the fact that many game sites, WP, dulfy (who is usually neutral about these things) condemn the practice, and there is a heavy community backlash? Anet cannot afford to take all this heat.

Would expect after all that and then today the Gemstore was getting an update that this would've been looked into.It wasn't.I think it's safe to say it's staying whether we like it or not.

@Jaskar.3071 said:

@rcs.4120 said:

200gems for random chance300 gems for random chance of a specific type,400 gems for specific skin800 gems for fancy pants skin that is presently 2000gems."

I like this idea

I like the concept of the idea, but the gem costs are too low IMO.25050010002000

@Ayumi Spender.1082 said:

Would expect after all that and then today the Gemstore was getting an update that this would've been looked into.It wasn't.I think it's safe to say it's staying whether we like it or not.

We don't even have patch notes. How do we know the gemstore was updated?

@Rashagar.8349 said:

@Djinn.9245 said:

@Fluffball.8307 said:

@Djinn.9245 said:

@Fluffball.8307 said:

@Djinn.9245 said:

@Fluffball.8307 said:

@Nocturn.8904 said:

any
of this, which I realize is a stupid thing to post, but I want some sort of balance to the likely false outrage of a certain percentage of the population.

Edit: was my sarcasm apparent enough? I didn't want to be too smarmy if I could avoid it, but I want to make sure the point comes across clearly.

It's not insight. It's a bunch of teenagers whining about something thinking they're changing the world by fighting big corporations. In reality, this isn't a big deal, and anet is not North Korea or Comcast or whatever the kids are raging against these days. This is a complete non issue.

I'm glad it's a non-issue for you. As for customers being able to change big corporations: have you heard of CocaCola? Read up on New Coke.

Oh the customers absolutely can change corporations. And what better issue to rage over than mount skins? This will be on CNN for making the world a better place.

Oh I see, I'm only allowed to criticize corporations if the subject is making the world a better place? Sorry, as a consumer I have many issues I am concerned with, including something that is supposed to be entertainment, not a rigged means of trying to get more of my money than I am willing to spend.

No, of course you can do anything you want. But this whole thing is pretty silly, you must admit. Either buy them or don't: the end.

What I don't understand is why you're trying to influence how other people handle the situation. Why not just let them also do as they like?

For the purpose of your illumination:How some of these other people you're championing handle the situation, according to previous posts in this thread:

Kicking people who've bought these skins from parties.(Along with justifications for why they believe acting like a totalitarian geebag was morally right of them).Verbal harassment/abuse of people who've bought these skins in in-game chat.Actively trying to sabotage the reputation of the game, in an effort to get their own way in the short term with no view as to the effects of their actions on long term health of the game they purportedly care about.

Never mind the morally-charged, inaccurate, judgment-laden words used in some of this "feedback" like cheat, scam, predatory, manipulative to describe Anet's motives, all of which are just. not.... true.It's like, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but they're not entitled to their opinion being unchallenged.And it's these sorts of manipulative lies and disgusting behaviours that I'm going to continue to try call out in the community when I see them, just as you think you need to call it out in Anet's behaviour. I know it's futile to try change the mind of anyone on the internet, never mind people laden with self righteous indignation that their preferences weren't catered to immediately upon release of these mount skins. But what can I say, I suffer from "Someone is Wrong on the Internet!" syndrome.

The reaction has been misplaced, overblown, and stupid.I fully support people voicing their opinions and preferences, but that support doesn't come with immunity from having those opinions critiqued. Nor the methods they have used to have those opinions heard, or more accurately felt.

LOL my daughter saw this post and asked me what it was about... I told her that there was a new design for the type of animals we ride in the game, and some people are upset because they may pay for something they didn't want, kind of like an instant scratch off ticket for the lottery, except you will get something, even if it's not the grand prize. She rolled her eyes and said, "First World Problems..."

@Ashen.2907 said:

@Jaskar.3071 said:

@rcs.4120 said:

200gems for random chance300 gems for random chance of a specific type,400 gems for specific skin800 gems for fancy pants skin that is presently 2000gems."

I like this idea

I like the concept of the idea, but the gem costs are too low IMO.25050010002000

Sorry man, 2000 gems for one skin is absurd. You're very nearly equating the value of an entire expansion to the cost of a skin.

@Rashagar.8349 said:

@Djinn.9245 said:

@Fluffball.8307 said:

@Djinn.9245 said:

@Fluffball.8307 said:

@Djinn.9245 said:

@Fluffball.8307 said:

@Nocturn.8904 said:

any

The reaction has been misplaced, overblown, and stupid.I fully support people voicing their opinions and preferences, but that support doesn't come with immunity from having those opinions critiqued. Nor the methods they have used to have those opinions heard, or more accurately felt.

Obviously that type of behaviour from anyone is pathetic and right to call it out, unfortunately it always happens when outrage of this scale happens.

Don't agree at all that the reaction has been misplaced or stupid though, I might cede you overblown but only because I'm surprised at how many new comments keep being added to the thread and elsewhere. Yes you can absolutely critique any opinion on the internet so go for it, but there are very legitimate reasons for people being pissed off about this.

At this stage I think we really need to see what Anet's next move will be, if they try and brush it under the carpet people should keep voicing their concerns, but I've got some faith they will listen. At the very least I'd expect them to not go this route in future - would be really nice if they could change the adoption licences as they are but it will be difficult as people have already bought them. Can but hope though!

@Rashagar.8349 said:

@Djinn.9245 said:

@Fluffball.8307 said:

@Djinn.9245 said:

@Fluffball.8307 said:

@Djinn.9245 said:

@Fluffball.8307 said:

@Nocturn.8904 said:

any

LOL my daughter saw this post and asked me what it was about... I told her that there was a new design for the type of animals we ride in the game, and some people are upset because they may pay for something they didn't want, kind of like an instant scratch off ticket for the lottery, except you will get something, even if it's not the grand prize. She rolled her eyes and said, "First World Problems..."

Hahaha! Aww, thank you so much for, with a single post, instantly restoring my faith in humanity.

Um because of that little tiny topic right there?https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/458/news-gemstore-items-new-returned-sales#latest

Anytime a sale is ending, an item is disappearing, something new is coming up, the Gem Store changes.The other items yesterday was "disappearing in 24 hours" meaning new items will take it's place and those old items are going away.

Also, the game client also updated (assuming for the Gem store update). Was a small update obviously but it's an update.While I don't like this mount situation, I kind of made my duty to keep looking into the Gem store for a while now because I want my bloody Jungle Explorer Outfit.Once again, not liking the mount situation, but I'm not going to 100% stop getting certain things that I want in the gem store. I rather Arenanet know "I like how this is done so I will buy it if I like it" while "I think this set up is stupid, ridiculous, expensive, unfair, evil, makes baby Yahshua cry, etc so I will not give you any service on this."

Not saying those that decide to flat out not give them a penny no more until this is changed of course is wrong.

Most of this thread is loud whining and people being angry, which is valid but won't get much of anything done. Let me try to vocalize my feelings in a way that isn't just angry shouting that won't fix anything.

I understand the lure and draw of randomized skins in a "lootbox" style aquiring system. Gambling is fun, but only within reason. In my opinion, these boxes aren't priced reasonably. 400 Gems for a randomly selected skin? When a good majority of these said skins are just retextures? I, like everyone else, read the BL Announcement and saw there was going to be a discounted bundle, and I wa ssuper interested in THAT because it cuts out the middleman on pulling skins at random. Perhaps 400 gems is a reasonable price for the fire/galaxy skins....but not for a raptor skin with a different scale pattern.

The "discounted" price is more than $100. That's outrageous. I preordered HoT when it was still bundled with the base game ($50) and I also bought PoF's second tier ($55) and this bundle is more expensive than both expansions combined. How did anyone ever think that was going to be an okay price for some cosmetic items?

I absolutely agree that the price should be lowered. You could say that 200 may be too low a price for the fire/galaxy/etc skins, but the whole point of gambling is doing it for a chance to get something REALLY cool for not so much monetary loss...and the bulk of the "retextured" skins are, again, not worth a 400 gem pricetag. It would also bring down the super exorbitant price of the bundle to something much more reasonable.

Um because of that little tiny topic right there?

Anytime a sale is ending, an item is disappearing, something new is coming up, the Gem Store changes.The other items yesterday was "disappearing in 24 hours" meaning new items will take it's place and those old items are going away.

Also, the game client also updated (assuming for the Gem store update). Was a small update obviously but it's an update.While I don't like this mount situation, I kind of made my duty to keep looking into the Gem store for a while now because I want my bloody Jungle Explorer Outfit.Once again, not liking the mount situation, but I'm not going to 100% stop getting certain things that I want in the gem store. I rather Arenanet know "I like how this is done so I will buy it if I like it" while "I think this set up is stupid, ridiculous, expensive, unfair, evil, makes baby Yahshua cry, etc so I will not give you any service on this."

Not saying those that decide to flat out not give them a penny no more until this is changed of course is wrong.

Those were up earlier before the patch that came up about 20 minutes ago, dude. I saw them this morning. Where I am now, it's afternoon.

Um because of that little tiny topic right there?

I've personally opted not to play at all until there's some substantive commentary from ArenaNet on the topic. That aside, I wouldn't be so dismissive just yet. Again, they haven't commented. Just because the gem store hasn't updated doesn't mean they've made a decision. They have to address the community directly after all of this.

Don't lose heart. =)