Official Mount Adoption Feedback Thread [merged]

@AegisRunestone.8672 said:

@Ayumi Spender.1082 said:Well, I went and checked as I was busy earlier so I didn't see the moment it was changed.Seeing that they updated the Gem Store and it's still the same, it is safe to say this won't get changed at all.Oh well.

Despite the fact that many game sites, WP, dulfy (who is usually neutral about these things) condemn the practice, and there is a heavy community backlash? Anet cannot afford to take all this heat.

Would expect after all that and then today the Gemstore was getting an update that this would've been looked into.It wasn't.I think it's safe to say it's staying whether we like it or not.

We don't even have patch notes. How do we know the gemstore was updated?

Um because of that little tiny topic right there?

Anytime a sale is ending, an item is disappearing, something new is coming up, the Gem Store changes.The other items yesterday was "disappearing in 24 hours" meaning new items will take it's place and those old items are going away.

Also, the game client also updated (assuming for the Gem store update). Was a small update obviously but it's an update.While I don't like this mount situation, I kind of made my duty to keep looking into the Gem store for a while now because I want my bloody Jungle Explorer Outfit.Once again, not liking the mount situation, but I'm not going to 100% stop getting certain things that I want in the gem store. I rather Arenanet know "I like how this is done so I will buy it if I like it" while "I think this set up is stupid, ridiculous, expensive, unfair, evil, makes baby Yahshua cry, etc so I will not give you any service on this."

Not saying those that decide to flat out not give them a penny no more until this is changed of course is wrong.

Those were up earlier before the patch that came up about 20 minutes ago, dude. I saw them this morning. Where I am now, it's afternoon.

I just said I wasn't around when they updated in that same post just on the last page.There was no patch 20 minutes ago.Or if there was, I didn't know.

@Ayumi Spender.1082 said:Well, I went and checked as I was busy earlier so I didn't see the moment it was changed.Seeing that they updated the Gem Store and it's still the same, it is safe to say this won't get changed at all.Oh well.

This is my post.

@Ayumi Spender.1082 said:

Despite the fact that many game sites, WP, dulfy (who is usually neutral about these things) condemn the practice, and there is a heavy community backlash? Anet cannot afford to take all this heat.

Would expect after all that and then today the Gemstore was getting an update that this would've been looked into.It wasn't.I think it's safe to say it's staying whether we like it or not.

Anytime a sale is ending, an item is disappearing, something new is coming up, the Gem Store changes.The other items yesterday was "disappearing in 24 hours" meaning new items will take it's place and those old items are going away.

Also, the game client also updated (assuming for the Gem store update). Was a small update obviously but it's an update.While I don't like this mount situation, I kind of made my duty to keep looking into the Gem store for a while now because I want my bloody Jungle Explorer Outfit.Once again, not liking the mount situation, but I'm not going to 100% stop getting certain things that I want in the gem store. I rather Arenanet know "I like how this is done so I will buy it if I like it" while "I think this set up is stupid, ridiculous, expensive, unfair, evil, makes baby Yahshua cry, etc so I will not give you any service on this."

Not saying those that decide to flat out not give them a penny no more until this is changed of course is wrong.

Those were up earlier before the patch that came up about 20 minutes ago, dude. I saw them this morning. Where I am now, it's afternoon.

I just said I wasn't around when they updated in that same post just on the last page.There was no patch 20 minutes ago.Or if there was, I didn't know.

Yes, there was a new build just an hour ago.

Right now, it's 1:50 pm my time.The post you linked was posted at 10:22 am my time.

The patch that was just released has nothing to do with the gemstore.

For the purpose of your illumination:How some of these other people you're championing handle the situation, according to previous posts in this thread:

Kicking people who've bought these skins from parties.(Along with justifications for why they believe acting like a totalitarian geebag was morally right of them).Verbal harassment/abuse of people who've bought these skins in in-game chat.Actively trying to sabotage the reputation of the game, in an effort to get their own way in the short term with no view as to the effects of their actions on long term health of the game they purportedly care about.

Never mind the morally-charged, inaccurate, judgment-laden words used in some of this "feedback" like cheat, scam, predatory, manipulative to describe Anet's motives, all of which are just. not.... true.It's like, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but they're not entitled to their opinion being unchallenged.And it's these sorts of manipulative lies and disgusting behaviours that I'm going to continue to try call out in the community when I see them, just as you think you need to call it out in Anet's behaviour. I know it's futile to try change the mind of anyone on the internet, never mind people laden with self righteous indignation that their preferences weren't catered to immediately upon release of these mount skins. But what can I say, I suffer from "Someone is Wrong on the Internet!" syndrome.

The reaction has been misplaced, overblown, and stupid.I fully support people voicing their opinions and preferences, but that support doesn't come with immunity from having those opinions critiqued. Nor the methods they have used to have those opinions heard, or more accurately felt.

Obviously that type of behaviour from anyone is pathetic and right to call it out, unfortunately it always happens when outrage of this scale happens.

Don't agree at all that the reaction has been misplaced or stupid though, I might cede you overblown but only because I'm surprised at how many new comments keep being added to the thread and elsewhere. Yes you can absolutely critique any opinion on the internet so go for it, but there are very legitimate reasons for people being pissed off about this.

At this stage I think we really need to see what Anet's next move will be, if they try and brush it under the carpet people should keep voicing their concerns, but I've got some faith they will listen. At the very least I'd expect them to not go this route in future - would be really nice if they could change the adoption licences as they are but it will be difficult as people have already bought them. Can but hope though!

Sadly I've seen this type of behavior championed in both these forums and on Twitter; I agree that it shouldn't be condoned, but I would also argue that (if it happened to me) I wouldn't want to spend time with those players anyway. Again, only my opinion; I know there would be some circumstances where there would be a large time investment lost.

@Kalibri.5861 said:

I've personally opted not to play at all until there's some substantive commentary from ArenaNet on the topic. That aside, I wouldn't be so dismissive just yet. Again, they haven't commented. Just because the gem store hasn't updated doesn't mean they've made a decision. They have to address the community directly after all of this.

Don't lose heart. =)

The thing is it did. The items they planned on removing was removed, and whatever they had planned on adding like those swarm things and whatever are up there while those mount things are still there.I will just take it as "Business as usual. These horrid mount practices are here to stay."Which I still won't pay a damn thing for.

Right now, it's 1:50 pm my time.The post you linked was posted at 10:22 am my time.

You're not listening.

I. Said. That. I. Was. Not. On. Earlier. At in I was not near the computer 3 hours ago. So. I. Went. And. Check. Less. Than. An. Hour. Ago. Because NOW I am at the computer.So I went and check and went "Oh, so the update this morning on the Gem Store didn't do a damn thing about the stupid Mount problem."

I don't know what part of that you're having troubles understanding.

@Kalibri.5861 said:

I've personally opted not to play at all until there's some substantive commentary from ArenaNet on the topic. That aside, I wouldn't be so dismissive just yet. Again, they haven't commented. Just because the gem store hasn't updated doesn't mean they've made a decision. They have to address the community directly after all of this.

Don't lose heart. =)

The thing is it did. The items they planned on removing was removed, and whatever they had planned on adding like those swarm things and whatever are up there while those mount things are still there.I will just take it as "Business as usual. These horrid mount practices are here to stay."Which I still won't pay a kitten thing for.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. Just because they haven't removed the adoption system doesn't mean that's their official stance. Wait for an official comment. There will be one.

@Kalibri.5861 said:

@Kalibri.5861 said:

Don't lose heart. =)

The thing is it did. The items they planned on removing was removed, and whatever they had planned on adding like those swarm things and whatever are up there while those mount things are still there.I will just take it as "Business as usual. These horrid mount practices are here to stay."Which I still won't pay a kitten thing for.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. Just because they haven't removed the adoption system doesn't mean that's their official stance. Wait for an official comment. There will be one.

I guess.My mother always said I'm the pessimistic type. I consider it a "Rather prepare for disappointment so when something good comes up I would get more surprised/happy about it."Keeping high hopes just makes "if" the bad news come out just more sour.And in this case, can lead to even more and more bad topics/messages on the situation and multiple "I quit" topics too.

You're not listening.

I. Said. That. I. Was. Not. On. Earlier. At in I was not near the computer 3 hours ago. So. I. Went. And. Check. Less. Than. An. Hour. Ago. Because NOW I am at the computer.So I went and check and went "Oh, so the update this morning on the Gem Store didn't do a kitten thing about the stupid Mount problem."

I guess the trouble I'm misunderstanding is now: which patch are you referring to? Because I loaded up GW2 this morning, there was no patch, but the items in the post you linked were all there in the gemstore.

And then there was a patch just an hour or so ago. Nothing changed. So, which one are you referring to?

@Kalibri.5861 said:

@Kalibri.5861 said:

Don't lose heart. =)

I guess.My mother always said I'm the pessimistic type. I consider it a "Rather prepare for disappointment so when something good comes up I would get more surprised/happy about it."Keeping high hopes just makes "if" the bad news come out just more sour.And in this case, can lead to even more and more bad topics/messages on the situation and multiple "I quit" topics too.

Haha, you sound like a good friend of mine. I end up trying to temper his pessimism as well sometimes.

But sure, if ArenaNet goes the wrong way, people will react negatively, as has been made clear here. And I think they should. This is crappy. But we're not responsible for that. By implementing an offensive, predatory system like this, they're basically giving their players license to be angry with them.

So, feel free to bask in the glow of righteous fury! =P But, y'know... try not to get too sad about it. We need you here with us. =)

You're not listening.

I. Said. That. I. Was. Not. On. Earlier. At in I was not near the computer 3 hours ago. So. I. Went. And. Check. Less. Than. An. Hour. Ago. Because NOW I am at the computer.So I went and check and went "Oh, so the update this morning on the Gem Store didn't do a kitten thing about the stupid Mount problem."

I guess the trouble I'm misunderstanding is now: which patch are you referring to? Because I loaded up GW2 this morning, there was no patch, but the items in the post you linked were all there in the gemstore.

And then there was a patch just an hour or so ago. Nothing changed. So, which one are you referring to?

Okay I'm going to blame on me being Japanese for this so I'll simply say.The Gem store update this morning/noon/whatever that removed things that was going to be deleted today are gone.

The Gem store update this morning/noon/whatever that Arenanet planned on adding, which was the Silver Fed Salvage-o-Matic, Butterfly harvesting flute, Firefly mining flute, and the Swarm logging flute have been added.

Going by this and the other things in the Gem store, like the mount adoption things went untouched, I will assume that mean they don't care to change anything about the mount rng lootbox item and plan on keeping it there.

The Silver Fed Salvage-o-Matic is only available for 4 days, which going by that, I would assume that the next Gem store update once again going to be in 4 days.It does not mean that the Mount crap will be changed/replaced/removed in 4 days, but if even then it does untouched and still no word from Arenanet will show even more mad signs.

Now my English is really bad, but if you still don't get what I'm saying then I have no clue how else to write it.And no, I won't try typing it in Japanese either. Don't even know if this forum even can post in Japanese or not.

Just adding my two cents to the pile. Like many others, I will not put another dime into this game until this predatory practice ends. Black Lion Keys were bad enough, but this is too far. It's such a shame, coming on the heels of a fantastic expansion. All that goodwill going down the drain. If it's the corporate masters pulling the strings, please make sure they understand how much this can hurt financially in the long run. Short term gains are not worth losing ArenaNet's excellent reputation among the gaming community.

@pah.4931 said:What if you could trade any five skins for one of your choice?

While it wouldn't be as big of a topic, if the mount adoption wasn't around and it was only the Mecha Ram skin which is 2000 gems. That Ram would've been the center of talking on the gem store items.Mainly due to how pricey it is. It not have caused all the backlash, but it would've been spoken on.2000 gems for 1 mount skin is not good. Plain and simple.

The best solution? Let me damn well buy the one (or 2, or 29 if you're that type of person) mounts I want.

ArenaNet is a wholly owned subsidiary of NCsoft Corp (not everyone may know this)

NCsoft shares have been on an upward climb since 2015 (no data about before) starting at about $200 usd (then) and peaked this year at about $475. There was a slight drop on the 9th of this month. Currently at $420 usd.

Q3 earning reports for NCsoft are out and all though it doesn't look amazing for GW2 on first glance neither does it look like they're struggling for cash. $18,000,000 usd (if I remember right) in sales for Q3 off the back of about one week of PoF sales. It is a clear spike obviously due to the ex pac. NCsoft net profit was about a third maybe of total sales. I looked at it the other day so I might be a bit shaky on things but thats the jist of it.

Or in other words, enough with the whole "maybe they have to use this 'questionable sales technique' to save the poor wee Asura babies and keep the wolves at bay" nonsense.

Oh and it seems that there's still a lot of traffic in the gem store after the massive spike when mount skins dropped if sites that track these things are too believed. So I'm sure the plan worked out very nicely.

@Kalibri.5861 said:

@Ardid.7203 said:Something that just popped in my brain by itself:There are a bunch of people who look at this issue and think Anet must be financially struggling, or they will never use this low tactics to monetize player numbers.But, what if it is the other way around? What if they feel so comfortable with the actual standing of the game, that they don't fear to implement widely unpopular commercial strategies to catch the unaware or gullible?

GW2 sales make it seem like the game is somewhat in decline, but we don't really know the story on production costs, so it looks... not great, but uncertain.

(not aiming this at you directly btw, sorry)

EDIT: numbers are a bit off in placed but not substantially so.

Okay I'm going to blame on me being Japanese for this so I'll simply say.The Gem store update this morning/noon/whatever that removed things that was going to be deleted today are gone.

The Gem store update this morning/noon/whatever that Arenanet planned on adding, which was the Silver Fed Salvage-o-Matic, Butterfly harvesting flute, Firefly mining flute, and the Swarm logging flute have been added.

Going by this and the other things in the Gem store, like the mount adoption things went untouched, I will assume that mean they don't care to change anything about the mount rng lootbox item and plan on keeping it there.

In case it helps, general gem store updates don't usually require a patch, which suggests that they are at least semi-automated. It's entirely possible that today's gem store changes were queued several days ago. While I'd also like to see a response on the mount skins, I don't think ordinary changes to the gem store can be interpreted as them declining to respond.

@troops.8276 said:ArenaNet is a wholly owned subsidiary of NCsoft Corp (not everyone may know this)

NCsoft shares have been on an upward climb since 2015 (no data about before) starting at about $200 usd (then) and peaked this year at about $475. There was a slight drop on the 9th of this month. Currently at $420 usd.

Q3 earning reports for NCsoft are out and all though it doesn't look amazing for GW2 on first glance neither does it look like they're struggling for cash. $18,000,000 usd (if I remember right) in sales for Q3 off the back of about one week of PoF sales. It is a clear spike obviously due to the ex pac. NCsoft net profit was about a third maybe of total sales. I looked at it the other day so I might be a bit shaky on things but thats the jist of it.

Or in other words, enough with the whole "maybe they have to use this 'questionable sales technique' to save the poor wee Asura babies and keep the wolves at bay" nonsense.

Oh and it seems that there's still a lot of traffic in the gem store after the massive spike when mount skins dropped if sites that track these things are too believed. So I'm sure the plan worked out very nicely.

@Kalibri.5861 said:

@Ardid.7203 said:Something that just popped in my brain by itself:There are a bunch of people who look at this issue and think Anet must be financially struggling, or they will never use this low tactics to monetize player numbers.But, what if it is the other way around? What if they feel so comfortable with the actual standing of the game, that they don't fear to implement widely unpopular commercial strategies to catch the unaware or gullible?

GW2 sales make it seem like the game is somewhat in decline, but we don't really know the story on production costs, so it looks... not great, but uncertain.

(not aiming this at you directly btw, sorry)

No apology necessary, and no offence taken. I think it's an interesting subject.

The thing is, as I said, this is sales (assuming total revenue including boxes and gems), not profit, which means it's not reflective of operating or overhead costs. Without those numbers, making assumptions on ArenaNet's financial solvency is hard to do. I agree though... I don't think they're at death's door, but the trend does show a gradual decline, and perhaps this adoption fiasco is in response to that. Either at the hands of ArenaNet or (I think more likely) NCSoft.

It could just be a general bandwagoning of an awful but popular monetisation strategy, of course, which would pretty much be the worst-case scenario. The 'ArenaNet in financial trouble' argument is just people trying to give them the benefit of the doubt.

I think you should read whole financial report instead of watching just numbers. GW2 was stated to achieve bigger income than expected. Nuff said. They are not struggling. They earn steady money every quarter, they pay their bills. THEY GREW about 100 employees since HoT.

There is no need for sleezy gambling practices in the gemstore.