Nearly 1700 hours playtime and not a single ascended lootbox drop. Is that normal?

Not here to complain, just hoping to compare notes. Like the title says, I've been playing for a while now and I'm starting to wonder if I just have abysmal luck. In all this time I've spent clubbing everything that looked at me crossways I've never had an ascended lootbox drop, let alone a precursor. Some notes: Account MF is at 149%. I rarely use food that increase MF, and even more rarely use boosters. I don't raid or run fractals. The vast majority of my playtime has been spent in open world PvE participating in most events I come across, the occasional TD/AB meta and bullying a great many random mobs. Given all that, would you guys say that my results are to be expected? Or have I just been beating the odds in the worst of ways?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@LightningWolfTigerBear.6725 said:I don't raid or run fractals. The vast majority of my playtime has been spent in open world PvE participating in most events I come across, the occasional TD/AB meta and bullying a great many random mobs.

This is your problem. Ascended loot boxes are not normal drops, they only come from a few specific places and based on your post you're not participating in most of those.

You can get armour and weapons from:

• Tequatl the Sunless chest (1 chance per day)
  • Triple Trouble chest (1 per day)
  • Fractals - boxes come from the daily achievements and individual pieces, especially rings, can drop directly
  • Raid bosses (only 1 chance per day)
  • WvW rank up chests
  • PvP reward chests
  • Very rarely from guild missions
  • very rarely from champion bags

Trinkets only come from Fractals, Raids and WvW and backpacks can come from raids but mostly have to be crafted.

Based on your post the only chances you have to get ascended drops are when you get a champion bag (and I think those have the lowest drop rates of the whole lot, and none of them are especially common). So it's not at all surprising that you haven't gotten any yet.

(Precursors can come from anywhere but the drop rate on them is so incredibly low that the majority of players will never get one as a drop, or will only ever get 1. Yes we all know the guy whose friends brother got 1 in his first week and has gotten like 5 total, but those are outliers or, more likely, lying/including drops from the Mystic Forge (which are far more likely).

If you want ascended equipment you can either chance which aspects of the game you focus on, or buy trinkets with laurels and craft weapons and armour. If you want a precursor your best bet is to either do the collection or (if it's a gen 1 precursor) buy it from the TP.

Best thing is to look up on the wiki exactly what you want (and there is also a page on "ascended chests"), and backtrack to find out exactly how it drops and try to focus on the best odds without sacrificing your game enjoyment (random chance at all times may be true, but it's not your best method of getting). Banking on it randomly, especially for ascended stuff, probably isn't gonna feel good in the end compared to if you do certain achievements, fight some world bosses, fight champions for champ loot bags, and do some basic tier 1 fractals. Yes, tier 1 has chance to drop ascended chests and i can vouch some of these are literally as easy as open world dynamic events most times so no worries - I recently dipped my toes in those waters too and it was fun). These are some focused ways to better your odds (at least to me) compared to just hoping for random drops, which is possible, but why bank on that when you can adapt and better your chances plus probably get involved in some content you never even knew was there or didn't appreciate fully.

Do content which actually drops ascended loot, then get lucky. Going by your post, you have not been playing content which can reward ascended gear in the first place.

@LightningWolfTigerBear.6725 said:I don't raid or run fractals.

Outside of this content the only things that come to mind are Tequatle and WvW as far as ascended loot chances goes.

See, don't feel bad, you never played content which could drop them in the first place so your luck isn't terrible.

@Cyninja.2954 said:Do content which actually drops ascended loot, then get lucky. Going by your post, you have not been playing content which can reward ascended gear in the first place.

@LightningWolfTigerBear.6725 said:I don't raid or run fractals.

Outside of this content the only things that come to mind are Tequatle and WvW as far as ascended loot chances goes.

See, don't feel bad, you never played content which could drop them in the first place so your luck isn't terrible.

Triple Trouble also give ascended like Tequatl.

Just doing open world content will almost guarantee never getting an ascended drop. Outside of World Bosses (usually Tequatl or Triple Trouble) and landscape chests, I don't think ascended even drops or if it does, it is rarer than a precursor. You can get precursors from random mobs, but I've never had 1 from that source in over 7000 hours (a guildie got one from a jellyfish in Southson whilst farming back in the day with me though).

As you are doing TD/AB I encourage you to stock up on keys. I have had 2 precursors from the smallest AB chests, so increase your chances by making sure you never walk by a chest w/o opening it.

So no, you are not unlucky

Started doing T4 Fractals last year. MF 250%. I have 2 bank tabs full of ascended gear... (you name it, rings, trinkets, amulets, weapons armour)That said. It's extremely rare for ascended to drop in the open world. I can count those number of drops on one hand with 5000 hours put in.

From my experience so far (7+k? hours or something), best drop rate is from higher lv fractals/fractal dailies and raids for obvious reasons (got so many ascended boxes, i lost count tbh, was enough to gear multiple characters + alt builds). PvP is second best option. In normal pve i think i never saw any ascended. Neither in wvw.

Got 11? pres in playtime, most of them from MF. Rest from fractals/dungeons.

If you really want ascended you either have to craft it (which is crappiest alternative in game after token change) or run fractals (best option, imo).

I did Tequatl every night for a couple of months none dropped. Brought a different character down a week later it dropped one.Ascended rings I got a ton from fractals. Most of my ascended weapons and armor from PVP reward tracks. Funny because I don't like PvP. Also one dropped forme in WvW. Never had a precursor drop in PvE yet. Got few from the Mystic Forge.Both are very rare drops.

That's normal, it's not meant to be a reliable source of ascended unless you raid/high fractals .just farm the gold with all those hours and craft it. 60-65g will get you most ascended weapons, ~400g full ascended armor. You could farm @ a casual pace in a few weeks doing SW, metas without any TP flipping. Trinkets are basically free with LW3, and you also can get a free ascended piece from a pvp season - you don't even have to win a game. If you farmed labs during halloween then you should have a nice stash of gold too. World bosses I've only ever got 2 weapon caches from Teq and 1 armor from Wurm.

But going back to my original answer, that's normal, I've only ever got 1 non-world boss ascended drop in the open world, and 1 ascended piece drop from wvw.