The game does run pretty well on my iMac, (2017 model, with I5, Radeon pro 570, 8gb DDR4 Ram and 250GB flash storage), I haven't had any major bugs or anything, and the FPS has been solid. However the game does read a ton of data, so much that I´m almost afraid of playing for long periods at a time. I'm not sure why the game is reading so much data though.

• Replies 980
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@DrMORO.4627 said:Update! B)

MAC CLIENT

• Fixed a bug affecting Intel HD Graphics 3000 hardware that could cause crashes in certain circumstances.

So, has it gotten better?Time to play more on a Mac! ;)

Okay, on my less-than-ideal system, MacBook Pro (13-inch, Early 2011), 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, 512 GB SSD, and does have Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB, I have been playing the 64-bit native GW2 app off an external SSD connected via USB 3.0-->Thunderbolt 2, at home.The 64-bit app has been occasionally crashing at home, and sometimes failing to launch after clicking the "Play" button in the startup login screen causing black "Untitled" screen freeze which results in a whole system hard reset & restart by long-pressing the power button.Seems that the update might have actually fixed the system freeze at start, or at least it has not happened to freeze the entire system in a while now. Still occasional GW2 app crash with report window sometimes at random timings.

So far, so good, maybe?

A side note: Have a slightly better Mac system at work (Mac mini (Mid 2011) 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 & dedicated AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB) as well to play GW2 off this same external SSD... LOVE the portability! And GW2 runs a bit better on this system than my MBP 13, and no system freeze at all, just occasional GW2 app crashes here and there.

But yes, like most everyone complaining here, I would love to have much better graphic performance over all. I know my Mac systems are not up to the minimum requirements, yet the now-obsolete 32-bit wrapped app, or even the bootcamp version performs better than the present 64-bit native app somehow.

Getting there, but not quite yet...

Please keep up the great work!

@Talek.6795 said:Just installed High Sierra and the game runs much worse then on Sierra ;(

Yep, same, but only after my MacBook Pro has been asleep long enough to enter standby. I'd love it if the GW2 devs could weigh in on this - is this behaviour they're seeing on 2016/2017 MacBook Pros with Radeon GPUs? If so, if they have any clues about the specific cause I'd love to add them to my open radar with Apple about it.

A restart fixes the performance until it's allowed to do a longer sleep again, and the issue persists in macOS 10.13.2 beta 2.

Guys, thank you for these answers. I have MBP retina 2017 with Nvidia GPU.To achieve the best possible fps on 32 bit client i played on Intel Iris Pro cos Nvidia always had some glitchesBut on 64 bit native app i played using Nvidia and after some second or third POF patch with minor fixes to mac client i got really stable and quite enjoyable fps on minimum settings, now i can't even have it ;(

It was a great mistake to upgrade to to High Sierra, and the most annoying think that i can't downgrade. Looking forward to see any updates from Anet or Apple solving that problem. Aside of it i want to thank Anet Mac Team for the native application we all wen use and improve nowadays. Keep up a good work Jon and co <3

Graphics set to lowest and getting 2-3fps, despite my machine being one of the new, higher-end macbook pros [note: this game is the only thing I have ever had issues with on my mac]. Camera control whilst mounted is still a nightmare, in that it just doesn't work with the trackpad, so some of the new content is virtually unplayable. The performance is so horrible I only log in once every one or two weeks now and may simply stop bothering to play altogether, especially considering there's not even been any acknowledgement (that I know of) with regards to performance. Consider me an exceptionally disappointed customer - final mac client feedback score: 1/10.

The new client improved the performance on 1440p quite a lot i think, coming from a late 2012 27" iMac i have now on my new iMac same size model the same fps as on the old one but at 2880p.

TL;DR Performance on 1440p has significantly improved and is also more stable now(even in big PvE events), i dunno if that is due to the change of the gpus from a gtx 680mx to a pro 580 or if the newer cpu contributed a lot to this.Now i just wish that the game could MT like when the client is patching (350% cpu usage)

@Talek.6795 said:Just installed High Sierra and the game runs much worse then on Sierra ;(

Thanks, that is what I heard earlier. Hopefully it will get resolved soon as it is generally accepted that apple machines are not too far behind on OS updates. I would hate to have to choose between GW2 and support for some other piece of software.

I decided to delete the game entirely thinking that there must be a bug or something. Then I went in to my ArenaNet account to download it and now this stupid computer won't let me download the game! and here I thought going to a Mac would be better for me. I just had put the High Sierra OS in so I don't know if that is stopping it or not. Have had a ticket in for a week now and have jumped through every hoop they told me too, but no luck yet. Anyone have any ideas, because I am fresh out and just going crazy trying to make this do what I want it to.

Hi guys,

Not sure this bug is specific to this client, but when I teleport to a waypoint, quickly mount and move somewhere, the camera isn't following me.This bugs occurs since day one of PoF. I can make a video if you need.Not sure this is related, but when teleporting to specific locations, textures take time to load.

I have a 15" MacBook retina 2015 (i7, 16GB ram, 750m) running Sierra last version and I use a external GPU (GTX1070).

Cheers for the good work!

I'm on a late 2015 MacBook Pro with 16GB RAM and since the release of the mac client I've seen its performance slowly improve. It got to the point where I didn't even have to play on the absolute lowest settings anymore. Until.. I updated to High Sierra last week. Now even on the absolute lowest settings I get a max of 9 FPS, which often drops down to 6 FPS just moving around on a map. It literally makes the game unplayable.In return the game is a lot quieter now because the fans don't go on since the game only uses a WHOPPING 33% OF 1 CPU.

Is this problem caused by the game client or is this High Sierra?Either way, please help! I want to play!

Edit: I've found a tip online; Restart and then play. This at least helps the FPS a bit (15-20) for me. Apparently there's an issue with the power management of.. something after you let it fall asleep? IDK. Anyway, restarts before you play may help a little.

Hello,I still have an issue with the cursor being to small, because I play on an retina display, but want to keep UI scaling disabled, since playing in lower resolution is just fine.I also don't think there is any mac, that could handle a resolution where ui-scaling would be necessary.I want the cursor scaling to be bound to the system scale, not the ingame option.Anyone else has this issue?!

@Anabaena.3670 said:Is this problem caused by the game client or is this High Sierra?

There have been performance issues reported with High Sierra. I am guessing I am not the only one begrudgingly holding off upgrading my OS until that is resolved.

If you have access to a desktop, ideally with Sierra, try it on that. If not put sierra on a detachable drive and boot from that on your MBP. I never got good performance with the 32 bit client on a MBP so only used it when I did not have my desktop.

Still having the same issues as I reported here a few weeks ago. It all started after the Oct. 17 update. Everything was fine before that. Something in that update caused the graphics and loading times to change. I'm still sinking into the ground when getting on my mounts and if I move the camera does not follow. It takes several mins for everything to load. Some maps take longer. This seems to be a collision number issue with the mounts. When spawning the mount it looks like the collision number activates on a timer then corrects itself sometime after.

The rest of the graphics take a long time to fully load. and each map seems to be different for the loading times. Due to this it creates problems for joining squads or parties as they are often long gone into the distance or finished killing whatever mob they are after before I have loaded enough graphics to join in.

The other issue is when changing dye colours in the dye window my cursor has to go to the colour below the one I want to use in order to change the dye.

All of these issues I'm having are since that Oct. update. I love this game but these problems make it difficult to play. As a result I haven't been playing as much as I used to. Hopefully you can resolve the issues before to long. We all appreciate everything you're doing to make the game better for the mac.

I'm using ...Sierra 10.12.6iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017)3.4 GHz intel Core i58 GB 2400 MHz DDR4Radeon Pro 570 4096 MB

@Naramoon.7146 said:Still having the same issues as I reported here a few weeks ago. It all started after the Oct. 17 update. Everything was fine before that. Something in that update caused the graphics and loading times to change. I'm still sinking into the ground when getting on my mounts and if I move the camera does not follow. It takes several mins for everything to load. Some maps take longer. This seems to be a collision number issue with the mounts. When spawning the mount it looks like the collision number activates on a timer then corrects itself sometime after.

The rest of the graphics take a long time to fully load. and each map seems to be different for the loading times. Due to this it creates problems for joining squads or parties as they are often long gone into the distance or finished killing whatever mob they are after before I have loaded enough graphics to join in.

The other issue is when changing dye colours in the dye window my cursor has to go to the colour below the one I want to use in order to change the dye.

All of these issues I'm having are since that Oct. update. I love this game but these problems make it difficult to play. As a result I haven't been playing as much as I used to. Hopefully you can resolve the issues before to long. We all appreciate everything you're doing to make the game better for the mac.

I'm using ...Sierra 10.12.6iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017)3.4 GHz intel Core i58 GB 2400 MHz DDR4Radeon Pro 570 4096 MB

Your issues with the game sound very similar to mine. I made a post on page 6 of this thread about my problems. My game started messing up and I reported it to Anet on 10/6/17. I have jumped through hoop after hoop, done everything they asked me to do to fix the game, and yet it still does not work! I get the impression they think something is wrong with my computer but my computer passed every test they posed. The mac client is the issue. They need to fix it, or bring back the 32-bit client, or refund peoples money.

@Zepa Chi Lee.6914 said:Your issues with the game sound very similar to mine. I made a post on page 6 of this thread about my problems. My game started messing up and I reported it to Anet on 10/6/17. I have jumped through hoop after hoop, done everything they asked me to do to fix the game, and yet it still does not work! I get the impression they think something is wrong with my computer but my computer passed every test they posed. The mac client is the issue. They need to fix it, or bring back the 32-bit client, or refund peoples money.

I feel your pain Zepa Chi Lee!I am hopeful that these issues everyone is having will get resolved soon. We just need to be patient I guess.

One other thing is that the sound also takes awhile to load along with the graphics. I know it's not my computer because it's only just over a month old and I don't have any of these issues when I try other games. It's only in GW2. I also don't feel that I should have to buy a detachable drive and install the game on it to get the game to work properly. It's supposed to work on the mac in the first place and it did work at least for me before that Oct. update messed it up.

So after almost a week of these issues, I've concluded that my problems are definitely caused by High Sierra and not the game client. This is because the game only experiences issues when I start it up after it being put to sleep. Apparently, it's a power management thing that is a known issue for High Sierra.The game works pretty much as before if I restart my computer and then start the game.

@DrMORO.4627 said:

@leoh.7239 said:I have a 15" MacBook retina 2015 (i7, 16GB ram, 750m) running Sierra last version and I use a external GPU (GTX1070).

May I ask in detail about what external GPU setup you use?

I'm using AKiTiO Thunder2 PCIe Box, you can find guides on google easily :)