Why the word "god" is censored? Answer: It's not — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Why the word "god" is censored? Answer: It's not

Arden.7480Arden.7480 Member ✭✭
edited November 16 in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

That's kinda weird... Will you too censore this word in-game?? That's kinda weird that instead of "god" (g o d) there appears "kitten" instead.

Tagged:

Best Answer

<<1

Answers

• Menadena.7482Menadena.7482 Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 12

Is it? That is rich. Maybe to avoid spoilers pertaining to the six human gods? (edit: looks like they took it out of the bozo filter)

New to the game? Feel free to give a yell if you need PVE help.

• Amaimon.7823Amaimon.7823 Member ✭✭
    edited September 12

I think God is only censored when maybe it creates a 'bad' word with its surrounding. We've used the word god a lot in the lore section.

Edit: never mind, it censors.. that's new for me.. maybe a bug

• Arden.7480Arden.7480 Member ✭✭

Yes, it does.. I used it on lore forum to write about Balthazar and 6 human g o d s. Weird..

• DBZVelena.5186DBZVelena.5186 Member ✭✭✭

See the kitten topic for other words that are kittened. We're basically checking to what extent the kitten filter was imported to the new forums.

The Splinter Warband [SWB] is looking for both new and experienced roleplayers to join our ranks.
    Medium-heavy Charr RP guild with a focus on special operations.
    PM if you're interested!
    Signed: Alexa SplinterSteel.

• Sophiia.6310Sophiia.6310 Member ✭✭
    edited September 12

@Amaimon.7823 said:
    that's new for me.. maybe a bug

Or... It could be propaganda! Biases are leaking!
    Ever since Balthazar's tyrannical return, the word G-O-D shan't be named! And shall be replaced with kitten, so all the Charrs are blamed.
    kitten those separatists. ;)

• TheRandomGuy.7246TheRandomGuy.7246 Member ✭✭✭

Maybe a bug. god.

• It seems god is filtered, but not gods.

The Assassin of Rata Sum
    Proud Member of Wards of the Mists [WARD]

edited September 12

I want to check if Allah is censored (not offence to anyone!!)

It isnt. Blame Balthazar! xD

@AegisRunestone.8672 said:
    It seems kitten is filtered, but not gods.

Probably because of g o d d a m n, but gods as in the six gods isn't because usually when people post that they're talking game lore.

The Splinter Warband [SWB] is looking for both new and experienced roleplayers to join our ranks.
    PM if you're interested!

• Danikat.8537Danikat.8537 Member ✭✭✭

My guess is the forum came with a default list of censored words.

On a lot of forums that would be a good one to include both to prevent religious discussion (which tends to be very controversial and can quickly turn nasty) and several cursewords/exclamations that some people find offensive.

But I agree that on this forum it makes no sense to censor it because gods are a major part of the game's lore and one that's going to get talked about a lot with the upcoming expansion.

Danielle Aurorel - Desolation (EU). Mini Pet Collector.

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair."

• Maybe because Balthazar is the only god left, Balthazar loves to be a god.

• jokke.6239jokke.6239 Member ✭✭

@Arden.7480 said:

Why would that be offensive?

• Chickenooble.5014Chickenooble.5014 Member ✭✭✭

@jokke.6239 said:

@Arden.7480 said:

Because some people get offended over everything. @Arden.7480 , now I dare you to post a picture instead of the name.

@Chickenooble.5014 said:

@jokke.6239 said:

@Arden.7480 said:

Because some people get offended over everything. @Arden.7480 , now I dare you to post a picture instead of the name.

unfortunately (or perhaps thankfully in this case?) the current security settings of the forum only lets you post links. not actual pictures. unless they are on the gw2 server.

PM if you're interested!

Yay it's not censored anymore. :)

• Alga.6498Alga.6498 Member ✭✭✭

Yeah, that would be weird if they censor the word god. Even in-game lore humans have gods, so that dosen't even make sense, glad it got fixed, :blush:

| GW1 2008~ | GW2 BETA player | Separatist | Nightmare Court | Ebonhawke | Ascalon | White Mantle | 71 characters | Sweden |

• Weindrasi.3805Weindrasi.3805 Member ✭✭

Sounds like it was censored because "God," used as a profanity or an exclamation, is very offensive to some people from some cultures. The issue with this particular word is that it has many uses beyond exclamation or profanity. While words like F*** or Sh** are used almost exclusively to cuss or exclaim, "God" is used in many different mediums. But the fact that it can be used as a profanity, puts it in a weird sort of limbo for online-forum-moderation purposes.
    Like many have said, however, it is not practical to censor "God" on a forum for a game/story in which gods play a major plot role.

• Jeknar.6184Jeknar.6184 Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 13

God is sensored because Joko is the only true god. So, instead of god, you must use Joko.

Praised be...

Darkhaven Platinum Legend (Rank 3978) - PvP Phoenix (Rank 70) - 27,5k Achievment Points
    Calamis Fatima / Kawagima / Hanna Flintlocke / Bjarl of Souls
    Leader of Mërcenaries [Sold]

• edited November 13

@Arden.7480 said:
    Yay it's not censored anymore. :)

It never was, as far as I can remember. I can recall making no no changes to the filter to allow that word, I would not have added that word (for obvious reasons, I hope), and it simply is not filtered. If it appeared filtered when this post was made, back in September when the forum opened, then I unlisted it at that time. I am thinking if someone experienced this today, there was some sort of short-term glitch. But as I stated above, it's not on our list, and I can use all variations just fine: God, god, Gods, gods. I cannot use swear words incorporating the word "god" but then, I shouldn't do that anyway. :)

Gaile Gray
    Communications Manager: ArenaNet
    Fansite & Guild Relations; In-Game Events; Community Showcase Live

• Illconceived Was Na.9781Illconceived Was Na.9781 Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 13

@Weindrasi.3805 I don't know if you noticed, you responded to a two-month-old post.

“Lottery: A tax on people who are bad at math.” — Ambrose Bierce.

• @Arden.7480 said:
    That's kinda weird... Will you too censore this word in-game?? That's kinda weird that instead of "god" (g o d) there appears "kitten" instead.

if they did, what would happened to my "War God's Greatsword"? rename to "War Kitten's Greatsword"? :#

• @Gaile Gray.6029 said:

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:
    @Weindrasi.3805 I don't know if you noticed, but "god" and "gods" were removed from the kittenizer™ list a month ago. Whether it was an accident or a deliberate mistake in judgment, it's long since been fixed.

On what basis on you making that statement? Can you establish that this happened? A search reveals that we have posts starting on the day the forums opened incorporating the word "god." We have events with the word in their title. We have a title with that word within it.

As the forum administrator, I cannot recall removing the word from the filter, and I'm sure no one else would have done so, nor would they have had the permissions that allowed them to do so.

@Gaile Gray.6029 said:

@Weindrasi.3805 I don't know if you noticed, but "god" and "gods" were removed from the kittenizer™ list a month ago. Whether it was an accident or a deliberate mistake in judgment, it's long since been fixed.

On what basis on you making that statement? Can you establish that this happened? A search reveals that we have posts starting on the day the forums opened incorporating the word "god." We have events with the word in their title. We have a title with that word within it.

As the forum administrator, I cannot recall removing the word from the filter, and I'm sure no one else would have done so, nor would they have had the permissions that allowed them to do so.

as this post and you point out @Gaile Gray.6029 2 questions first it was made just as the new forums opened up . could it be that all happened over on the OLD FOURMS ???? and it was just forgotten about over TIME ??? which if i recall right if it is not soon or happened already that the OLD forums are now gone for ever right ????

second question is being this word of god or gods and the use of them words in forums and game i find very offending to me personally as well as a very strong believe this should not be in the game its self . unless it regards to lore wise. as them words offend my personal beliefs . and very strongly believe religion's of the real world should not nor do they belong in a video game. as this can only lead to may worse problems that can get easy dragged onto the forums here . then you have to ban all them people for it . so what it is i am asking here is this. is their some way to stop a possible problem before it happens . and so no one gets infected or banned or any thing at all . and do it in such a way the only time that word gets used is in lore. other wise the kittenizer kicks in and does its job saving you and forum mods time in work hours and reports and such and so forth ?????? if not i still thank you for the answer .

1. Just checked: God is not in the filter for the old forums. Whether it was filtered years ago, I cannot say, but I don't believe it was.
    2. As to your second question, as I pointed out, the word "god" is included within our lore, our titles, even the names of achievements or events. The word is not inherently offensive or pejorative. If you see it abused, by all means report a post. But as for censoring the word outright, we don't intend to do that.

Gaile Gray

• @Gaile Gray.6029 said:

My apologies, I was referring to the posts above that said it was being filtered. And then fixed. I shouldn't have presumed that there was an actual issue in the first place. I took it on faith.

I was responding to the post above mine that was made a month after the last previous post. If there ever was an issue, it was long since resolved.

Again, my apologies for confusing things.
    @Gaile Gray.6029 I'm going to redact my post above; feel free to apply any clean up you need to do.

“Lottery: A tax on people who are bad at math.” — Ambrose Bierce.

@Gaile Gray.6029 said:
    I just tested, and the word god was not censored.
    Edit to add: Nor is the word God, gods, or Gods.

It was just for a while. But well it was 2 months ago when the new forum was released. :) I forgot to edit a title. :)

• @costepj.5120 said:
    I want War Kitten's Greatsword. Gimme Gimme.

Honestly, don't we all? :D

Gaile Gray

• Rashagar.8349Rashagar.8349 Member ✭✭✭

This is easily my favourite thread right now.

• AegisRunestone.8672AegisRunestone.8672 Member ✭✭✭

I think d-u-m-b is censored, too.

As an example:
    "You're kitten, you'll die, and leave kitten corpse."

The Assassin of Rata Sum
    Proud Member of Wards of the Mists [WARD]

edited November 13

Shave the World, Shave Tyria. :D

There is also a precursor called: Shave the Queen.

• BunjiKugashira.9754BunjiKugashira.9754 Member ✭✭✭

BufF A GOD, make them stronger...
    Every rifle has a MAG GOD I wish rifles in GW2 had them too...
    Even when I try I can't get the kittenizer to censor god.

No skin should be exclusive to gem-store rng boxes.
    What really happened with mount skins

• Majic.4801Majic.4801 Member ✭✭✭

I believe in Kitten.

"Not the same, real and true. True you feel inside. Always follow what is true." --Sentry-skritt Bordekka
    "Harpy love hurts!" -- Shaman Shoba

• Svarty.8019Svarty.8019 Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 14

@Gaile Gray.6029 said:
    2. As to your second question, as I pointed out, the word "god" is included within our lore, our titles, even the names of achievements or events.

This stuff always reminds me of Polla.

Necro. Never knowingly blasting combo fields since 2012.

• ezd.6359ezd.6359 Member ✭✭

Btw this item ( [&AgFzZQAA] Maw of the Damned ) ingame link looks like this [Maw of the ----ed] ... if anybody cares.

• RoseofGilead.8907RoseofGilead.8907 Member ✭✭✭

@ezd.6359 said:
    Btw this item ( [&AgFzZQAA] Maw of the Damned ) ingame link looks like this [Maw of the ----ed] ... if anybody cares.

It only does that if you have your chat filter turned on. I just linked it to myself and saw the full name.

Oh look. I have a signature now.

• Weindrasi.3805Weindrasi.3805 Member ✭✭

@Weindrasi.3805 I don't know if you noticed, you responded to a two-month-old post.

I am the mighty Joko! The thread has awakened!

<<1
©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.