Help a noob out and get a chance at 100g! — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Help a noob out and get a chance at 100g!

Sky.7610Sky.7610 Member ✭✭
edited November 12, 2017 in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

I took multiple year long breaks, so the last time I played this game was about a year or so ago. I only stay for a few days prior to taking another year long break so I imagine nothing catches my attention the last time. I still haven't finish HoTs. Should I skip that and go to PoF (haven't purchase yet - how does it compare to hots)?

Any advice, recommendations, information or changes i should know about or thoughts to a long time returning player?

Thanks for your time and any helpful tips you may provide to me and other returning players! As a small token of appreciation, I will give out (no idea how much 100 gold nowadays is so hopefully it's not embarrassingly low):

• 40g to the most helpful or insightful post
  • 20g each to 3 random commentors based on RNG (I heard it's all the rage recently lol). Pick a # from 1-300 , 1 entry per person , will be using random.org to choose 3 matching or closest matching number (if tie for closest #, the one that is smaller than the generated number will be declared the winner).

Winners will be selected and annouced by 8pm Eastern monday. Please allow up to 2 days for prizes to be paid out (got some essays that needs writing hah).

Edit:
PS: you can also assume, if you like, when giving out advice/tips/info that I don't really need to grind any content (and that gold is for all practical purposes, almost unlimited in my case) for purchaseable resources/gold unless the grind itself is the fun (but it's also helpful info to know for other returning players ofc).

<1

Comments

• Drew.1865Drew.1865 Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 12, 2017

My advice and it is free and no I don’t want your stuff lol.

Start working on your ascended gear. Do the leather farm at lake Doric and open the chests for leather. Salvage the hides from the lake Doric champs.

I recommend making heavy armor for your first ascended set. You can make it dire or whatever the other cheapest insignia is and then change the stats in the mystic toilet.

Use GW2effiency to craft. Create you an api for your account so the site can give you a crafting list.

Also make a level 20 and level 45 to 50 alt and farm silverwastes for the loot boxes and open the bags on these alts.

Do these things until you have all the gold and or mats you need.

• Sky.7610Sky.7610 Member ✭✭
    edited November 12, 2017

@Drew.1865 said:
    My advice and it is free and no I don’t want your stuff lol.

Start working on your ascended gear. Do the leather farm at lake Doric and open the chests for leather. Salvage the hides from the lake Doric champs.

I recommend making heavy armor for your first ascended set. You can make it dire or whatever the other cheapest insignia is and then change the stats in the mystic toilet.

Use GW2effiency to craft. Create you an api for your account so the site can give you a crafting list.

Also make a level 20 and level 45 to 50 alt and farm silverwastes for the loot boxes and open the bags on these alts.

Do these things until you have all the gold and or mats you need.

Hey, thanks for the information, appreciated it!

You might as well pick a # too if you like. These are very negligible amount of gold for me, I had given away thousands of gold or equilevent already. The only thing I was good at in this game prior to taking multi-year breaks was making a boatload of gold.
    Maybe the reason I left in the first place is because everything is so accessible (I can buy anything I want that is purchaseable off TP or gem store via exchanged gem).

Ps: for other individuals you can also assume, if you like, when giving out advice/tips/info that I don't really need to grind any content (and that gold is for all practical purposes, almost unlimited in my case) for purchaseable resources/gold unless the grind itself is the fun (but it's also helpful info to know for other returning players ofc).

• Nilson.9865Nilson.9865 Member ✭✭✭

We have revolted against RNG in loot boxes from gemstore and you are offering gold using RNG. Inquisition is coming for you soul =) =)

• BaconReaper.5719BaconReaper.5719 Member ✭✭
    edited November 12, 2017

Ok the thing is, Heart of Thorns was very enjoyable and fun, although you might not get that much help in those maps as Path of Fire maps are all abuzz right now. If you are a lore/story geek, then I highly suggest you go for it. You can buy Living World Season 3 on the gem store which basically wraps up Heart of Thorns and starts the Path of Fire story, thats if your willing to go the extra mile for the story as well (all the story since HoT has been such great quality, some would argue PoF is somehow better). But if you can't be bothered to finish the HoT/LWS3 story and you just wanna get those mounts, then just buy PoF, or wait for a sale which might hit soon because Living world Season 4 Episode 1 will be out in the next month, and normally there are sales before Living World Episodes. Really its all just personal preference for the story and how much your willing to pay. Living World Season 4 Episode 1 will be free if you buy PoF and log in between the release of episode 1 and episode 2, log in between episode 2-3 then you will get episode 2 for free ECT, as long as you have PoF! Only you can make the option on what to do so don't just listen to any strangers, research on if Path of Fire is really for you (if you can be bothered). :)

(also I choose the number 176 because I'm rlly poor atm from crafting the legend again because anet kinda messed up with a glitch which caused it to be sold for 1 silver :( )

• Would suggest picking up any of the Living World season 3 episodes you may be missing as these will most easily open the new maps which were introduced during your breaks. While not essential, you may enjoy a change of scenery.

This would offer some casual enjoyment of the game/story without requiring any grind or ramp up while also allowing you to unlock any missing elite specializations you may still wish to. Consider it a casual, yet engaging way to see if you want to get back into the game.

I'm gonna opt out of the giveaway, but thanks! Good luck and enjoy.

• Funny, I'm going to give opposite advice - for gear, get a coherent set if exotics and don't bother with more yet. When/if you play some LW3 maps you can get ascended trinkets pretty easy. Weapon is nice but no hurry. Don't bother w armor.

As for HoT vs PoF - that depends on you relation to the story.

Do you want to experience story chronologically? Then wait w PoF until you've played LW2, HoT, LW3 in that order.

If story isn't important and mounts seems interesting, then I'd recommend getting and starting PoF right away and progress until you have Raptor, Springer, Skimmer and maybe Jackal.

If neither Story nor Mounts is a strong pull, then choose based on how you like the maps:
    HoT is pretty compact with much verticality and map-wide meta events on timers, so you can always know when and where people are gathering to play. The LFG tool is sometimes necessary to reach a populated map, but there's always one running.
    PoF has a lot more open maps, some verticality but not the same layering HoT does, and events are generally less scheduled and rigidly organized.

Apart from "which expansion to play" I recomend looking at the styles the elite specs for your class has (like Thief - Daredevil is high mobility multi-target melee, Deadeye is more ranged single-target) and weigh that into your decision on when to get PoF.

Re: giveaway - heck I'll bite: 42
    But you really don't have to bribe people for advice generally ;)

• Play how you like to play. It is healthy to take breaks. If you are into the story, finish HoT. If not, don't. My toons bounce all over the place. I have been playing consistently since beta. I have finished the story steps on just a few of them. I am not into the fashion, AP, and MP (never unlocked raids) wars. I do not have glittery auras (eyesore). I just play to have fun. If you don't want to grind, don't. PoF is fun and the maps are beautiful and nostalgic. You did not state enough of what you want for anyone to give you specific advice. If you just play the game, you will get what you need to succeed. Any other effort is up to you.

. . .
    I'm just here for gold. . .

Volhryol O Maelstom - Chronomancer
    Ghelviir O Maelstom - Druid
    TheSlothArmada - Berserker
    Builds: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1jEaFeEWMhn3_c9Dt7DlOKWMHOVyRbWDSbEEgpSgrTMY/edit?usp=sharing

• Ceridwen.6703Ceridwen.6703 Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 12, 2017

Do HoT first. There's plenty still doing map metas if you want to do those; simply check here: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Event_timers for times, and the in-game Looking For Group (LFG) for squads.

Also finish the HoT story if you want to. I'm not sure you'll have the Living Story Season 3 chapters, which come chronologically between HoT and PoF (and required you to log-in at the time to get them for free), but if you really like your story making some sense, you can acquire the chapters individually in the Story Journal, for 200 gems each (IIRC). This'll give you access to some more maps to complete, and for the most part, you'll find these relatively active as well.

And then there's PoF, which is worth it for the mounts alone (recent skin acquisition debacle aside). It's desert-based, which from the outset gives it a completely different feel to HoT's denser jungle setting. You might also find some of the mobs are easier, but they do have a zealous aggro range to be aware of. You'll find other players using LFG for the bounties on these maps, and the timer linked above will clue you in on the happenings in Crystal Oasis and the Domain of Vabbi.

You can play through all of this at your own speed, and with exotic armour and weapons. However, if you want to play raids or fractals, you might want to consider crafting ascended items for your chosen profession(s). Also, check out what builds are currently being utilised - although I'd always go with something you enjoy and have fun with first, keeping in mind you may well need to change it.

There's also been changes to PvP and WvW, but as you don't mention these, it may not be relevant.

Lastly, I don't think anyone's mentioned the cats yet. If you find yourself missing a glaring in your home instance, consider feeding the cats of Tyria today! Who knows, maybe some of them will follow you home and leave occasional presents for you! Pro Tip: do not mistake house cats for Charr. Neither species will thank you for it.

Oh, and how about 77? I'll go with that.

"Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Steve R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn."

• Neutra.6857Neutra.6857 Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 12, 2017

A lot of people complained about HOT being more difficult, but I really like that zone. I enjoy the metas, both before when the pres where really important and now when they are not. It is fun to have the community come together to do this big events. Since they have added additional events to those maps you also don't need to stay doing the meta, so there is that as well. Tangled Depths is still hard to get around, despite map improvements, although once you have the waypoints the meta is pretty easy to do. The HOT story was ok but not great, although I did have fun doing it on a sylvari character since there was some extras, like being able to hear Mordi. The living world 3 story stuff (which you will have to buy since you where not here when they where free) was...not that great in my opinion. I felt the story bounced around all over and just wasn't very cohesive. That being said the new maps that came with those stories are fun. They are also the best places to get ascended trinkets if you are looking to do that. A lot of people seem to have issues with Draconis Mons, but that is one of my favorite maps. You get to have and admittedly slightly buggy mastery where you can fling yourself around like spiderman.

POF except for a few group events is significantly easier, not only to get around it, but also the general events and hero points. Hero points for instance are not group content and instead us vets. That being said there was a resent update that made awards for some of the larger events far more worth doing, so you should be seeing those in looking for group. I love the mounts in guild wars, and having gliding while also having mounts makes getting around Tyria so much easier. I personally liked the POF story, but think some for the story chapters where rather long. The maps are fun to get around once you have the different mounts, and while you can solo everything, doing it in a small group is great. Generally this is a much more casual friendly area then HOT.

Like Tanner said, you really don't need to get ascended gear, and crafting it is certainly not worth it. You only really need ascended gear for fractals and raids. Like I said before trinkets are easy to get with living story 3 maps, and we now have a few legendary trinkets. You can get a legendary backpack from fractals, WvW, or doing rated PvP. The fastest one to get if you do is probably fractals, since you will need an entire season or more to get the PvP one, and need a commander tag and a high WvW level to get the WvW one. The other legendary trinket you can get is from doing stuff in season 3 maps and gives you a legendary accessory.

I do think POF is worth buying, especially since the living story 4 is likely to be connected to POF, like living story 3 was connected to HOT (you need HOT to open the story).

bacon Reaper, have you contacted ANET about that?

Guess I will go with 242.

• My advice, save your money (plenty of people hear wanna help for free). Use it to craft some neat stuff. Ascended gear would be a good place to start (you don't need it really, but I would at least get some from the laurel vendor when you can).
    If that is not your cup of tea. Then get yourself into an active guild (if not done already) you will then probably be able to shuffle through HoT with buddy. It will help you a fair to to acclimate yourself to the gameplay (which you will need for PoF).

I would also recommend getting your hands on season 3 (another use for your gold). I found season 3 quite enjoyable and by converting some gold to gems to get it you will save some real world cash. Also story wise it will help with the build up to PoF, it flows into it quite nicely and have some nice loot and skins.

• Heyo, nice to see a fellow returner to the game.
    I myself joined back about a month ago after a 3 year long break.
    So everything following is from my perspective and as a returning player -
    I myself finished HoT (along with all the LS) first then moved on to PoF as I wanted a proper continuation of the storyline.
    Having said that, I enjoyed the PoF story much more compared to the HoT one.
    PoF has a lot more flair but it is also comparatively easier.
    I had left when ascended gear had just come out, so first thing for me was to try and get
    full ascended gear of my choice for my main - a ranger.
    So what I did was finish HoT storyline > get full asc gear > finish PoF.
    I was a little bit away from finishing a legendary weapon also when I came back,
    so in between from all the loot and mats I managed to finish that as well.
    Also higher tier fractals can be a lot of fun compared to the old dungeons.

What you do now is totally upto you. If you've been away for long then I'd imagine
    there would be quite a bit of catching up to do as I did. Mounts can be a lot of
    fun as well as gliders which are both game changing. If you are not finnicky about
    continuation you can skip ahead..get the first mount..then get back to HoT and power
    through that. Also the meta's in HoT maps can be quite fun and actually something
    you can partake in properly.

Cheers.

• Vavume.8065Vavume.8065 Member ✭✭✭✭

Playing this lottery is more thrilling than playing the game.

• If you want to spend gold, give it to some poor newbies.

Ten gold per newb makes 10 happy noobs.

This advice is free, like advice from this community.

• CedarDog.9723CedarDog.9723 Member ✭✭✭

Hmm, lotteries are fun. 123

Add me if you want someone to play with if youre on NA

• Shirlias.8104Shirlias.8104 Member ✭✭✭✭

Back To home i will also post something about \○

Thanks for all the helpful information guys!

@Skyline Crash.6254 said:

Add me if you want someone to play with if youre on NA

Sure, will do!

• Hi there and welcome back!

One of the things that I actually enjoy about Guild Wars is the fact that you can leave for whatever reason and when you're ready to play it is right there waiting for you. It's one of the biggest selling points for me - because I have disappeared a few times (computer blowing up, injury etc etc), but like an old friend Guild Wars welcomed me back with open arms.

When my computer died - it was RIGHT before HoT released. I played a very little bit of it, realized it wasn't for me (jumping and vertical moves and I do not get along), but I truly enjoyed the Elites for it (Druid is epic imho as is Dragon Hunter). The gliding also helped in other areas. Another thing that put me off of HoT was the fact if you didn't have a group, you died a lot (or I'm just squishy). So it all depends on your game play and how you enjoy to play. I'm kind of a lone wolf, I try to play a game by myself and then when I need help - I turn to guildies or friends and go from there, so PoF is more suiting for me. If you enjoy big trains and groups, HoT may be worth delving into and finishing before hand.

PoF also offers up mounts - which is a pretty BA system. Not necessary outside of PoF, but.. Enjoyable none the less. And the Elites are cool, I like Soulbeast (I have a thing for Rangers, what can I say)

So in this regards, it's up to you as a player what your play style is and preference. I know, totally doesn't answer your question, and for that I apologize!

I concur with another fellow player who said find an active guild - but I will actually expand a little bit.

Find an active guild that is an all rounder sort of guild. It is involved in WvW, PVP, and PVE. If Fractals are something you're intrigued by - see if they have active groups within. Same with Raids. This guild will help you explore all that is available since the new expansions [i]and[/i] during your absence. The guild should also be one that seems to have some lasting power - because life happens and you might have to take a break again (hopefully for not as long!), and these guild mates will be your connection to the game and help ease you back in without it being a shock to the system.

With so many changes since you have been gone, with professions etc etc - I would suggest perhaps giving a go with a few ones that might catch your eye. If you don't like them, worst case scenario is... delete.

Definitely echoing sentiments of buying the Living Season episodes if you haven't already - these will help give you not only an idea of what has been happening in your absence but also... ALSO helps give you Mastery Points, which these things are very very good things to have.

Also..Wintersday is coming - I suggest getting your Karma up ;) Wintersday will also help you farm exp by doing events etc (If I'm not mistaken, it's been a year.. and I've slept since then!)

• FrizzFreston.5290FrizzFreston.5290 Member ✭✭✭✭

I think it helps if you have someone to play with. Just even through the main storyline itself. And from there just set minor goals. That achievement, or defeating that boss, or getting all masteries or seeing if there is something in that hole over there.

The grind, the repetition never really catches my attention. Though I do like completing things, so that can put my attention on repeating something. The build play is a bother to me, cosmetics don't really catch my attention (I can only redress my character every so often without feeling like it barely matters)

What does catch my attention is mostly story and exploration. We have a small 5-man guild group that once a week progresses very slowly through Living story episodes. Just an hour or 2 once a week. With friends. Most of us also play normally but one of us just plays then.

Exploration for me is about doing most events, finding random chests and defeating whatever is on my way and taking in the environment, read NPC dialogue. (until I get bored with it then I just move on through) Achievements tend to guide my directions most of the time, as I discover them when I go through them. I play it pretty much like a single playergame with the chance of finding other players.

So the only advice I could give is to set a goal first. What do you like? exploring, completing, challenge or just story? And then try to get the most out of that. GW2 does very often leave me with a feeling of, what to do now? At that point it's very good to just space out and kill the first thing on your way and find an event to do, or other activity (PoF has races, HoT mostly adventures, and there's always achievements)

Definitely don't rush to complete. The game is there the next day and the next. If you get bored, read up on what other people do, see what they do. WoodenPotatoes is very good at making everything sound very exciting, and that sometimes leaves me wanting to log back into the game right away. Keeping in touch with the game and the updates and having familiar people (guild, friends) to return to helps a great deal in any game imo.

If you want a number I'd pick 125. Just because. Gives me more ways to entertain my guildies I suppose.

• Ashantara.8731Ashantara.8731 Member ✭✭✭✭

Do not skip HoT (even though PoF's story is much better written, and overall the first playthrough is a lot more exiting than HoT's). The reason you should definitetly go for HoT is that most of its Elite Specializations are much better designed and powerful than PoF's.

Of course, PoF has mounts, which make navigating the world a lot easier. But in the end, it is up to you to decide what content you prioritize.

P.S. Helping other players should always be for free. ;)

• I love how everyone's so helpful when gold is in the picture. So many wall of text posts explaining every intricate detail. :smile:
    I'll bite for the lottery so 177.

As for the advice...
    Before you buy PoF, play the game a bit to see if you're into it. That's what i did when i came back, and join a guild if you're not in one already. Perferably some high level guilds that have taverns and resource synths in their guild halls, that's always helpful, even if the guild is not very active.

Then play what you already have and see how it goes, do you like the core mechanics, do you like doing events, etc.
    If you like it, set a goal for yourself. I wanted to do fractals. So i watched some youtube videos and started to do fractals. Now i'm at T3, fully ascended, and i have more than enough agony resistance for now. Use gw2efficiency for crafting steps and guides, it has really everything you need. It also has resource farming routes. Pretty handy.

In the meantime, i did collections (got Horologicus - you have to play a lot of HoT expansion for ascended elite specialization weapons), did meta events on HoT maps (which are always fun for me), especially when people get together and do Dragon's Stand. And slowly but surely i got my chrono shield.
    Next was the bloodstone visage skin collection. I wanted red eyes. That required some specific bosses to spawn so gw2timer.com helped with that.
    After that, i got Veilrender ascended mirage axe from Path of Fire.
    Now i'm doing WvW because i wanted a change and i don't have a lot of time to play GW2 so i have some fun there.

There's lots of stuff to do in GW2 so setting a goal and working towards it is what GW2 is all about. Otherwise you'll just get lost, frustrated and probably quit again.

If you want to experience the story chronologically and not have to wonder "who those people are" like i did, then play Personal Story - LW season 2 - Heart of Thorns - LW season 3 and only then Path of Fire. Although, LS3 isn't as story important, you won't miss much from there to PoF, the same characters are still there, they'll just spoil the events of LS3 for you if you haven't played it. :tongue: There's some cool trinkets and gear you can get in LS3 maps so that's another thing to work towards.

So yeah, good luck, try something out, get a goal to do, and play the content required to get it. That way you'll always have something new to do.

• Weindrasi.3805Weindrasi.3805 Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 15, 2017

Personally, I think the story in PoF is much better-done than in HoT. I think the reason why, is that PoF is revisiting areas from Guild Wars 1 to a much greater extent then HoT did. Arenanet have tons of plot material, detail, and lore from Guild Wars 1 they can use to enhance PoF--even for players who never played GW1. In HoT, the primary elements of the plot--Mordremoth, the Exalted, and the Sylvari--are all new Guild Wars 2 era things. Because of that, Arenanet had to start from scratch in many regards to build the story of HoT, and depict it to the player base.
    PoF is different because Arenanet already had years worth of old material, notes, designs, lore, and so-on to help them build the story. All this old material was extremely helpful, in that it created a much more rich and detailed expansion--story wise--than HoT was capable of being.
    If you get PoF, it will essentially be like you skipped a book in a series. You've read book 1 and book 2, but you skipped book 3 and went straight to book 4. So some things will be familiar and make sense, but other things won't. To get the full impact of the PoF story, you need--either by playing or reading on the wiki--an understanding of the events that led up to PoF.
    If you don't care about following your character's story, then you're in the clear. Storyline aside, PoF is a very fun expansion. The mounts and the maps of PoF are a lot of fun, and the new specializations are interesting. The terrain of the maps is beautiful, and the NPC's and their cultures are very detailed and well-portrayed. Unlike HoT, you do not need a group to do any of the Hero Points or Mastery Points--you can get map completion alone.

• 193 thx :)))

edited November 13, 2017

I know people play content at different speed but assuming a 'normal pace' of not rushing but not taking time to explore every little detail, how long would it take me to finish hot content (storyline and living story)? Also how much current content for PoF to complete?

Is the best gold farming spot or expensive items in PoF?

• I have always like Mystic Salvage Kits (250 uses).

"That's what" -- She

• Erhnam.5732Erhnam.5732 ✭✭
    edited November 13, 2017

I can only tell you the classic advices:

• Buy the copper fed salvage tool and place it in a shared inventory slot
    • Buy a set of permanent gathering tools, and place them in 3 shared inventory slots. If your characters have their own normal, vendor bought gathering tools, you just need to double click on each of them when you log in with a character, and remember to place (again, by just double clicking) the permanent tools back in the shared slots. Extra bonus if these tools are the magic unbound ones, as you will get extra currency each time you use them
    • Buy a permanent pass (I love mistlock) and place it in a shared inventory slot
    • If you can afford it, get a permanent stylist contract and place it in another shared inventory slot. God knows I would spend more time playing with it that playing the game if I could get one
    • Get a character slot per class (at least)
    • Get more material storage (I am currently sitting at 1k material storage, I think anything between 500 and 1000 should suffice, depending on you crafting habits)
    • Get two extra bank tabs
    • Get more, more, more, shared inventory slots. Honestly, I don't know if I can go back to other games that do not have this
    • And the most, biggest, bestest, advice you can get. Roll a female Asuran necromancer. You won't regret it

And my number for the lottery! #132

Thanks for this!
    EDIT: Forgot one: buy all the LW episodes, if you can

• Svarty.8019Svarty.8019 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 13, 2017

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

Should you buy PoF?
    • I think the story is easier to get into, easier to navigate, and easier to solo.

My guildmates came back from a lengthy absence and played PoF for two weeks. They said it was worth the money. I haven't seen them since. They played HoT for over a year.

Necro. Never knowingly blasting combo fields since 2012.

• FrizzFreston.5290FrizzFreston.5290 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Svarty.8019 said:

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

Should you buy PoF?
    • I think the story is easier to get into, easier to navigate, and easier to solo.

My guildmates came back from a lengthy absence and played PoF for two weeks. They said it was worth the money. I haven't seen them since. They played HoT for over a year.

Singleplayer games are also worth their respective money. Ofcourse, its a bit strange that PoF has the replayability of a singleplayer game. But if the quality is high enough that is just fine. If Anet can keep living story coming soon after then that does definitely help.

I can't say I replayed HoT over and over because it was so much fun. And more that it was needed for certain goals.

@Sky.7610 said:
    I know people play content at different speed but assuming a 'normal pace' of not rushing but not taking time to explore every little detail, how long would it take me to finish hot content (storyline and living story)? Also how much current content for PoF to complete?

If anyone have any general info on this, would be appreciated! :)

• pah.4931pah.4931 Member ✭✭✭✭

Here is my advice to any GW2 player:

Stop caring. This is not the game for caring. Can't afford mount skins? Who cares. Can't afford the Black Lion weapon skins (and don't want to buy or farm keys for black lion chest RNG)? Find one that you can get in game. Learn stuff as you go. Have long term goals, but if you see an event, go to it and enjoy. Create alts and mix it up -- gear is so easy to get in this game and you can have plenty of fun in exotics. Use the LFG tool early and often. Do what's fun, forget the rest.

• I just recently came back after having not played in 4 years. I suggest purchasing PoF and doing the introduction mission to unlock the Raptor mount. Then going back and finishing HoT. In my opinion having a mount really helps navigating through HoT.

edited November 13, 2017

I'm hoping there is a Blackfriday discount on POF or do you guys think it's too soon for the discount to hit the expansion?

• Randulf.7614Randulf.7614 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Sky.7610 said:
    I'm hoping there is a Blackfriday discount on POF or do you guys think it's too soon for the discount to hit the expansion?

Far too soon

What sleep is here? What dreams there are in the unctuous coiling of the snakes mortal shuffling. weapon in my hand. My hand the arcing deathblow at the end of all things. The horror. The horror. I embrace it. . .

@Randulf.7614 said:

@Sky.7610 said:

Far too soon

True but if they do discount it a bit, they can cash in on the shopping and holiday craze though...

• @Sky.7610 said:

@Randulf.7614 said:

@Sky.7610 said:

Far too soon

True but if they do discount it a bit, they can cash in on the shopping and holiday craze though...

Well, unless you want mounts like, right away, you don't need Path of Fire if you haven't completed other stories yet. You might want to finish what other stuff you have before buying Path of Fire, and maybe by that time, they'll do some kind of a discount. There might be one during holidays, but it's too soon after the release so they'll probably discount HoT instead and a bunch of gemstore items. Or maybe they'll do a bundle, HoT + PoF for cheaper or something.

Do you have Heart of Thorns and living world seasons already?

• Donari.5237Donari.5237 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 14, 2017

I think you've gotten a lot of insightful advice. I would add some myself but I'm lightheaded hungry due to this being a diet day and cannot focus enough. So I will take you at your word that gold comes easily to you and I'll just toss in my favorite number:

And see how that works out. (And if I win most likely donate the 20 g to guildmates new to the game).

• @Sky.7610 said:

@Sky.7610 said:

Heart of Thorns is reasonably long since you can't finish half the story until you unlock a certain mastery for which you have to play HoT maps to get. You need experience to train that mastery (and all the ones before it), and mastery points to unlock it. Only then will the story continue since that new mastery will be relevant to whatever happens in the story. So you'll be playing a lot of Heart of Thorns maps, they're full of meta events, hero points, and just general fun to explore. Except Tangled Depths, that map is horribly confusing.

So expect to get quite a mileage from Heart of Thorns, espectially if you plan on getting all the masteries trained. I don't own Living world 2 or 3, but i hear 3 is pretty long, and each episode has a whole map for you to explore. Path of Fire isn't as long as Heart of Thorns, but the maps are pretty expansive and there's a lot of stuff to discover there. Most time will be spent getting access to mounts and training them so you can use their movement ability to access the new story part.

Be warned though, both of those are high level content, if you get into a fight with mobs, some of them can down you pretty fast, especially in Heart of Thorns. Smokescales and Pocket raptors. Fear them. You'll see them fast enough in the first map so don't worry, i didn't spoil anything.

Path of Fire has a different "mechanic" because there are mounts there, so mobs have huge aggro radius and respawn really fast, so expect some long drawn out fights with veterans and elites accompanied by a legion of trash mobs in some areas. And since you can't mount up in combat, you have to finish fighting them because they'll follow you across half the map otherwise (this was done because mounts are very fast so mobs have to react to them in a larger radius, but that radius doesn't narrow down on foot).

As for gold farming, Auric Basin meta event in Heart of Thorns gives you tons of loot if your map completes it, you get rewards based on participation, the overall event success etc. So if you need ecto and mats, go do Auric Basin meta and just salvage everything. LW3 has it's own currency and a lot of ascended trinkets and gear can be obtained by farming that currency and buying stuff from vendors. There's also a leather farm i believe in one of the maps.

All in all, you get a lot of bang for the buck, and the stories are atually really well done, i personally enjoyed them a lot.

edited November 14, 2017

Results are in for gold giveaway! All winners has been scammed paid! ;)

Thanks for all the helpful information guys!

MVP post for me: @Illconceived Was Na.9781 - 40g , great summary and clear

Lottery Results entries:
    6 - Donari.5237
    42 - Tanner Blackfeather.6509
    69 - Vavume.8065
    77 - Ceridwen.6703
    116 - Shirlias.8104
    123 - CedarDog.9723
    125 - FrizzFreston.5290
    132 - Erhnam.5732
    168 - Skyline Crash.6254
    176 - BaconReaper.5719
    177 - Veprovina.4876
    193 - Karrier.9604
    242 - Neutra. 6857
    300 - TheSlothArmada.6709

Winning #: 153, 281, 246 : https://imgur.com/a/fL1bn

Players who won lotto: @Skyline Crash.6254 (168) , @TheSlothArmada.6709 (300), @Neutra.6857 (242) - 20g each

• Donari.5237Donari.5237 Member ✭✭✭✭

Hurray for helpful people and grats to lottery winners. Sky, I imagine you'd have gotten just as helpful posts without the incentive, but it was very nice of you to offer.

• While I am not the biggest gamer I do like this game. HoT was something that I really did not like due to all of the vertical things and it was just a lot to process while trying not to be eaten lol. I did love gliders so that is awesome and the story was great. I am really loving PoF however. Great story and it was tough but not so tough that I could not finish it by myself. The areas are beyond beautiful where as I dont see HoT being that pretty save like two spots. The mounts are fun minus the whole adoption stuff. I really hope you get both so you can enjoy it for what the story is.

• World War III.3869World War III.3869 Member
    edited November 14, 2017

My 2 cents.

I'm in the same boat half the time. If you truly enjoy the game, just take the plunge and buy a gem card(s) and trade it for gold. Obviously if RL budget permits. That's always the best bet to get back into things. Use one of the many GW2 economy tracking sites to maximize your trade in value. If you like the story as I do , play it in order, otherwise in my opinion(even though mounts make HoT easier) you will be missing out on a lot of what the game offers.

Aside from that here's an idea of what you can do: At the very least log in daily for the bonuses and to keep up with them. Kill Teq daily. I have gotten many ascended weapon drops from it over the years. Do at least the minimum amount of dailies for the 2G etc. Do the fractal dailies for other ascended stuff. Complete the Triple Trouble Event daily. I have gotten many ascended armor drops from the event. Stock pile mats so it's easier later to craft Legendaries and/or ascended you need. Activate a couple Legendary weapon quests so you have some other goals and while doing other stuff you'll get some items needed for them. Do the AB meta when you can and have around 30 keys. Don't buy skins unless it's 100% must for taste. If and when LAB or Wintersday is around, farm them to your liking. LAB for instance, run Guildhall MF bonus, Birthday bonus and MF food/utility, use a thief with shortbow or a Daredevil w/same. I averaged 400-500 bags an hour that way. Sell them or gamble them.

Save a character slot and follow a weekly BL Key farm guide. Rowangrey on youtube has one of the best and detailed ways to do it. Knockout the stories and come back for the achievements. Join a helpful guild, don't worry about raids or advanced Fractals right away. When you do want to get into them, study your kitten off with videos/guides and join a training guild that helps newbies. USE LFG. Take HOT for instance, there's a guild that runs ALL the HP and does the DS meta and sometimes other HOT meta weekly. Usually start at 4pm EST TUES/THURS/ SAT. At reset there's a guild that runs around doing everything, look for them as well. Use youtube or Dulfy for achievement guides. Worth noting: Dulfy's guides are not the be all and end all for doing some achievement. There's other too and for example 9 times out of 10 if Dulfy's guide isn't doing it for me if I scroll down below to the comments I almost ALWAYS find a solution that works for me there. Don't be afraid to ask in map chat for help or to make your own LFG or to use commander tag, mentor tag or a good friend that has them when needed.

Other people have pointed out that you can camp out inactive characters at farms. Like you can leave all your extra characters at the flax farm in Hot. There's also a good wood spot in Orr and jump puzzles you can leave characters at to open it up once a day. Don't forget to farm your home instance, guild instance, and EB in WVW daily for mats if you get bored, but at the least do the Guild Hall and your home instance. Make sure to buy some of the Nodes you're missing with Laurels from the vendor. Save all other Laurels because you will need them for mats, a much needed asc gear, a recipe, to complete something or SOMETHING. Just don't spend them to spend them till you're 100% sure. As for bags as someone pointed out, on average you make more money opening certain bags on a character with a certain level. Or you get to snipe the mats you need the most more often as opposed to getting mats you do not need. As for story rewards, research what's most beneficial to get. Like in HoT you want to get the 2H Auric weapons as reward because they cost more to craft for example.

After story it completed go back and start doing achievements you're interested in and do all the HP/Masteries that are left. Prioritize ease of life by getting the Auto Loot mastery maxed out asap, it will save your soul from hell. Pick a season and farm the mats needed for the final rewards. All I got right now off the top of my head. Feel free to message me in game as I'm catching up all the time as well and usually always willing to help or give advice. This is all advice. I don't consistently do all this stuff weekly. If you get caught up doing something else and are having fun and not burning out, that's a good thing. Don't worry about all the other kitten. If you are burning out, play something you find fun like WVW(which btw has a good chance for ascended and has some good reward tracks to work towards now such as legendary stuff). Don't feel overwhelmed or that you'll never catch up. Forget about being top AP for example because people that have played consistently since beta will almost always have more AP due to monthlies and stuff that doesn't exist now.

EDIT: The guy that runs Hot map HPs also does the masteries, waypoints and strongboxes. Worth noting that if you just breeze through the story and move on to POF for the mounts, it's much easier as most HP/mastery groups run with mounts now. The particular guy I'm talking about runs without mounts. With mounts you'll have an easier time getting around however. It will be easier to do the "commune" HPs yourself and a lot of the masteries because you can get to places that requires things like maxed out gliding easier with Springer or (better) Griffon. PoF bounty/achievement/HP runs? Make sure you have the WPs and the mounts(Griffon not 100% necessary) or you will fall behind the zerg.

EDIT 2: Want a super easy time with open world and most activities? Build a Power Reaper with minions. It will almost feel like you are cheating. Keep a backup set of armor for conditions to use vs some bosses and single targets. PR/minions will literally destroy most of the game's story mode bosses/open world/HPs and everything in between. You can practically AFK some things that normally destroy you if you're another class. There's one exception: HoT Hero Points. Most of HoT is hard mode and many of the HP you can not solo under normal circumstance. Sure I've soloed some of the impossible ones but it's far easier with a group. I easily soloed everything in POF and Vanilla with the build. Now I'm using the new POF reaper spec and it kicks kitten for conditions. I'm using that now to not only learn the new rotations(what order to use skills in for max dmg) but because a lot of the achievements I'm currently going for this build shines in. Also worth noting is that necromancer has imo one of the top 3 best skills in the game. Epidemic. Dump your condis on the boss, pop epidemic and watch the 20 trash adds around it die fast.
    Note: Minion master can be bad. You don't want it for Fractals/Raids. You usually don't want them out if you don't want aggro: Triple Trouble Event for example or if you're just running from X to Y they will slow you down getting aggro. if you want to rambo through an open world area, they will kill everything you click on.

That being said, IF you want to use X class to complete Y? GO FOR IT. I have 15 characters, all have their quirks, weaknesses/ bonuses etc. All of them can complete all content with differing degrees of difficulty depending on the content and your skill level. And what better way to get better than actually using the class? Also worth noting: Get a good keyboard(I like mechanical ones) and a good mouse. It helps a shhhhhh ton having dodge/loot/whatever right on your mouse, etc. I can't stress it enough. Sure you can play with a touchpad or on generic stuff, but your life will be easier with good gear IRL.

EDIT 3: I reread everything and I'm sorry for it being so disorganized and not grammar perfect(normally I am, lol). Don't have the time to fix it all and I just spewed everything out that was on my mind as it entered it. Hopefully I gave you some insight though on how I do things. Remember MOST of all Rule #1: HAVE FUN.

• World War III.3869World War III.3869 Member
    edited November 14, 2017

@Sky.7610 said:

@Sky.7610 said:

Hot? Casually maybe a week? Depends on class/skill level and someone else's idea of "normal" daily play. Someone with a RL job or school for example, their idea of normal will be much different from someone that is retired or works from home. Not 100% sure either way, but it's not 100% important imo. Just have fun, take a break from progressing when things are getting grindy or stale. If you only play story and know your way around, have the masteries maxed etc, PoF for example in subsequent play throughs, skipping cut-scenes etc you can do most if not all in 1/2 days depending on how much you play. HoT? If you don't have maxed out HoT masteriers you will have to spend additional time maxing them out with experience. If you don't know Tangled Depths and the other areas well, you will wander needlessly here and there adding additional time, hell even with a guide some in TD lol. People move at different paces, just like I can read a whole book in a couple days casually. My friend reads the same book in a month. She's not stupid, she just reads at a different speed and reads a different amount daily in between other things. I read a book I dive all the way in.

Right now in the current climate POF is bad for farming. Definitely not horrible(bounty runs are ok, etc). I mean doing something is better than chatting in Lion's Arch in regard to farming, unless you're a power merchant on the TP. Otherwise, The HOT Metas and SW are better and more profitable. That does not mean that POF's Metas are bad or not fun though. They just don't produce as much $$$/hour. There is a 10k gold mini and 10k gold confetti aura thingy that you can get as a drop from two different events and they are a pipe dream and 1 in a million so don't worry about them. You'll get a precursor drop from a trash mob in vanilla GW2 before them. If you enjoy doing dungeons for $(even though it's half dead), hell go for it man. I do them sometimes for fun. That's what it's all about. Fun.

• I WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON!!!!!!!!
    I CAN'T kitten BELEIVE IT OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    (20g is a lot for poor AF players!!!)

Volhryol O Maelstom - Chronomancer
    Ghelviir O Maelstom - Druid
    TheSlothArmada - Berserker
    Builds: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1jEaFeEWMhn3_c9Dt7DlOKWMHOVyRbWDSbEEgpSgrTMY/edit?usp=sharing

• My favorite thing to do in this game is take one of my 9 alts and remake them. After I change their look, gear and traits I put them through whatever part of the storyline I miss the most (usually living story season 3 head of the snake). Then I keep playing them on random maps with random people until I get bored and move on to the next character. For me constantly trying a new play style is fun. I spent too many years sticking to my main and missing out on how different each encounter can feel on different characters. Hope whoever wins your lottery doesn't blow it all on ecto gambling ;)

The next time you get angry at someone try walking a mile in their shoes. After that, who cares! You're a mile away and you have their shoes! -Someone with more awesome quotes than me

• @Super Hayes.6890 said:
    My favorite thing to do in this game is take one of my 9 alts and remake them. After I change their look, gear and traits I put them through whatever part of the storyline I miss the most (usually living story season 3 head of the snake). Then I keep playing them on random maps with random people until I get bored and move on to the next character. For me constantly trying a new play style is fun. I spent too many years sticking to my main and missing out on how different each encounter can feel on different characters. Hope whoever wins your lottery doesn't blow it all on ecto gambling ;)

A good example of that would be playing a Sylvari in HoT.

• Matick.4132Matick.4132 Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 15, 2017

Err... seriously?!

These days, when the chatter is all over RNG & Lootbox sh...tuff.
    Giving help because you want money is a preposterous behaviour, imho!

And to the OP. If you're serious and not a troll/bot/trollbot this forum is – unlike the mystical forge or BLC – a pool of helpful stuff, whatever you throw in it. Most of the time your effort isn't wasted – unlike the mystical forge or BLC –, so take a short trip around the forum and a warm WB to you.

The art of monetising and value something by linking it to money, is the reason why we're in this deep trouble anyway. Hence Lootboxes, hence RNG stuff, hell... hence the whole economy. Yeeez.

I don't want gold for rezzing someone, an advice, or a port, or whatever. Just be nice to each other and shout out a TY.

TY

Edit: Well, I've seen in this fred that you've already rolled the dice. Was that your attempt of satire on this whole RNG sh...tuff?!

edited November 16, 2017

@Matick.4132 said:
    Err... seriously?!

These days, when the chatter is all over RNG & Lootbox sh...tuff.
    Giving help because you want money is a preposterous behaviour, imho!

And to the OP. If you're serious and not a troll/bot/trollbot this forum is – unlike the mystical forge or BLC – a pool of helpful stuff, whatever you throw in it. Most of the time your effort isn't wasted – unlike the mystical forge or BLC –, so take a short trip around the forum and a warm WB to you.

The art of monetising and value something by linking it to money, is the reason why we're in this deep trouble anyway. Hence Lootboxes, hence RNG stuff, hell... hence the whole economy. Yeeez.

I don't want gold for rezzing someone, an advice, or a port, or whatever. Just be nice to each other and shout out a TY.

TY

Edit: Well, I've seen in this fred that you've already rolled the dice. Was that your attempt of satire on this whole RNG sh...tuff?!

I think one of us is high on 'Jug of Confiscated Booze'. It is one hell of a Booze. :+1: :p

ps: I retrieved your confiscated booze and mailed you some as any bad influencer would ;)
    https://imgur.com/zc2bXN1 (is embedding image bugged?)

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.