Nearly 1700 hours playtime and not a single ascended lootbox drop. Is that normal?

5+ years, over 6,000 hours logged in (a lot of it afk but still), and I've gotten no precurser drops and two ascended boxes. Period. I've done fractals, a bit of WvW, a bit of PvP, but mostly PvE. Granted, I got one of those ascended boxes from Teq and it was a Sunless weapon, but that was apparently me wasting all my luck. I barely get named exotics, exotics at all, or rares that aren't guaranteed. My luck in this game is notoriously bad.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@LightningWolfTigerBear.6725 said:Not here to complain, just hoping to compare notes. Like the title says, I've been playing for a while now and I'm starting to wonder if I just have abysmal luck. In all this time I've spent clubbing everything that looked at me crossways I've never had an ascended lootbox drop, let alone a precursor. Some notes: Account MF is at 149%. I rarely use food that increase MF, and even more rarely use boosters. I don't raid or run fractals. The vast majority of my playtime has been spent in open world PvE participating in most events I come across, the occasional TD/AB meta and bullying a great many random mobs. Given all that, would you guys say that my results are to be expected? Or have I just been beating the odds in the worst of ways?

Their RNG formula is a P O you know what. Been playing since the beginning and the drops of good stuff have been absent. It called an outlier account and like me, you are not going to get a decent drop. Their is a problem with the game drops.

Only some part of PvE give you ascended box (Teq, triple trouble and fractal is the only one i know of), if you don't play those often then no matter how much time you play, you will never get one.

I have play for 1800 hours and i have ~20 ascended box or so, more than half of them come from fractal. If possible, you should try fractal, unlike raid, fractal have different difficult tier, and in tier 1 no one should complain no matter how bad you are XD.

I'm about 2000 hours since launch and, if memory serves correctly: 1 ascended armor, 1 ascended weapon, 1 precursor. The armor came from a jumping puzzle chest in Caledon Forest.

The rest of the ascended armor and weapons have been crafted, plus a legendary shield from the precursor.

Ive had 2 drop from doing nothing but the AB meta event and that took over 400 runs.Surprisingly or otherwise, the first drop was in the first 50 or so runs, and the 2nd close to the 400th.RNGs are to some people unfair, as they are only really random over an infinite number of selections, so its perfectly possible for some people to get lots of rare drops for doing very little, and for others to get nothing for doing many events.Its a bit like a roulette wheel.If you do an event and dont get anything good, then doing the same event again doesnt change the odds.

• 3 weeks later...

@Biff.5312 said:I don't know how many hours I have - a couple of years playing almost daily. No ascended drops.

Number of hours is not a good predictor. It depends on the type of content you do far more than how much time you have clocked in the game. Slightly better would be: the number of foes killed (but then: it also depends on where the foes are, what type of foes, and how much MF you have).

Perhaps this is just the luck I have had so far but with just under 800 hours, I would say that my drop rate seems fairly acceptable.I have found that I have more ascended drops when opening many containers of the same type simultaneously.Last month I saved had 15 days worth of tequatl boxes (dragon chest exotic) and received 4 ascended weapons chests (2 teq hoards and 2 stonecleaver) when opening them all at the same time.Disregarding ascended rings, I have had a total of 19 ascended chests so far from world boss events and sPVP reward track boxes. Fractals have yet to drop anything other than trinkets (mostly rings), but I have currently not played this mode more than 30 times.For reference my MF is about 135 I believe and I have not used boosts when opening boxes(perhaps I should change this).

For players focusing on openworld PVE content, my advice would be to target world boss events such as Tequatl and Tripple Trouble as those have been documented to have the most reasonable drop rate.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@Biff.5312 said:I don't know how many hours I have - a couple of years playing almost daily. No ascended drops.

Number of hours is not a good predictor. It depends on the type of content you do far more than how much time you have clocked in the game. Slightly better would be: the number of foes killed (but then: it also depends on where the foes are, what type of foes, and how much MF you have).

No idea in that respect. I do a lot of world bosses but no fractals for instance. Anyway I checked and I have about 1700 hours played. I've had about half a dozen exotic drops, no ascended. I'm not complaining though - just my experience.

Again, people don't seem to understand that ascended loot boxes only drop from specific content:

• wvw/spvp has a very small chance
  • fractals have a very decent chance if you are doing fractal T3 and T4 from daily chests
  • tequatle and tripple wurm have a terrible chance
  • raids have quite a high chance for ascended loot once per week
  • open world has literally 0 chance to drop ascended

My guess is people who don't see ascended loot are just playing game modes where there is no chance to see this loot drop.

If you are talking outside fractals and raids then yes its perfectly normal. I have 3500+ and only ever got one ascended drop on open world. And on WvW/PvP chances are slightly better. Ascended are there are rewards for specific collections and for you to craft when we are talking outside raids and fractals. Only the more challenging PvE content has any realistic chance for a drop.

My base magic find is 220% and about 2330 hours of playtime. I have got quite a lot of ascended chests actually, mostly from tequatl/pvp just playing the game.I don't play fractals anymore and when i used to play back then regularly before HoT (lvl 50 was the max you could do) ascended chests did'nt use to drop in fractals. Although i have still over 2 tabs worth of bank filled with ascended rings from fractals (many deleted lol, you couldn't salvage rings back then) and every single character of mine equipped with ascended rings (i have 15 80's)

I only ever had ONE precursor drop on me and it was a filthy precursor for LEGENDARY TRIDENT (sold for less then 100g) and it dropped from an elite mob in crucible of eternity. I guess what you play or where you play does indeed increase your chance significantly of getting an ascended chest. Got an ascended armor chest yesterday from pvp :P

@Cyninja.2954 said:

Not quite true. As long as you're level 80, you have a (very very rare) chance to get ascended boxes from exotic quality champion bags, world boss chests, and generally any chest found in the open world. One of the only ascended boxes I've received was from a champ bag I got from doing some world boss event.

@RoseofGilead.8907 said:

Not quite true. As long as you're level 80, you have a (very very rare) chance to get ascended boxes from exotic quality champion bags, world boss chests, and generally any chest found in the open world. One of the only ascended boxes I've received was from a champ bag I got from doing some world boss event.

That chance is so low it can be considered nonexistent but sure, you have a 0.000001% chance or so to get one that way. The main idea behind the loot in this game is, you get the loot you need from the content for the content. You absolutely do not need ascended gear for open world content. Precursors are more common than ascended gear in open world content, and that's says a lot.

But you are correct, theoretically if true, there is a very small chance. But since there is tons of people with 4-5k+ hours of playtime without ever seening a precursor drop (myself included) it's to be dismissed.

• 1 year later...