How to balance every single thing that's bad on Engineer [PvP]

Chaith.8256

@Chaba.5410 said:

@Chaith.8256 said:5.) Crystal Configuration: Zephyr - Currently: Holo Leap removes movement impairing conditions and grants superspeed instead of swiftness. New: Instead of granting superspeed, increases the range of Holo Leap from 450 to 900 & adds .75s evade. This trait increases the cooldown of Holo Leap to 4s.Swiftness duration increased to 4s. (Note: live, it's currently 450 not 600)

Removing superspeed would remove Holosmith from my WvW guild's main use for it and I'd probably go back to playing revenant for them. :(The meta in WvW right now requires high mobility to help counter pirate shipping. I'm not sure Anet would make such a drastic skill-split between PvP and WvW.

it would be interesting to see your build. Link me if you do not mind. Hate this pirate ship meta, also forced to play rev because of it. And i dont knowhow you play without stability trait...its not ok on wvw, only bcs of alot of CCs/

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Chaba.5410 said:

@Chaith.8256 said:5.) Crystal Configuration: Zephyr - Currently: Holo Leap removes movement impairing conditions and grants superspeed instead of swiftness. New: Instead of granting superspeed, increases the range of Holo Leap from 450 to 900 & adds .75s evade. This trait increases the cooldown of Holo Leap to 4s.Swiftness duration increased to 4s. (Note: live, it's currently 450 not 600)

Removing superspeed would remove Holosmith from my WvW guild's main use for it and I'd probably go back to playing revenant for them. :(The meta in WvW right now requires high mobility to help counter pirate shipping. I'm not sure Anet would make such a drastic skill-split between PvP and WvW.

did you check out my suggested changes to Scrapper? Having Final Salvo fields move with your position will fill any group needs for that

@Chaith.8256 said:

@Coolguy.8702 said:No more buffs please, core engi is already pretty good, its iust that holo and broken specs overshadow it, id rather everything be nerfed down to core engi level instead.

Core Engi will get further PvP buffs, there's no avoiding that. The new balanced tier in PvP is: Holosmith, Chrono, D/P Daredevil, Tempest, core Ele, core S/D Thief, arguably Spellbreaker and a few others. Core Engi is multiple tiers below the tier ArenaNet is actively buffing and nerfing these classes to.

If you knew engis history with anet you'd realise engi almost never gets buffed and only nerfed, pre pof engi rifle was dog shit and anet never once even tried to buff it which disproves you thinking core engi will get buffed. Like i said, core engi isnt being used as much because holo is a pure upgrade over it. Ive played core engi in pvp, and i had no issues with any of those builds besides spellbreaker and chrono. Core engi is perfectly fine and balanced, anet just gotta nerf everything else down to its level and this game will finally be close to balanced.

I have always wondered why a trait like no scope exists, it is only a partial fury source while up close and has no other added benefit to it, think @Chaith.8256 's suggestion is good but maybe too similar to where I think he got the idea from (Retribution, radiance traitline from guard). That tier has no power option too.

Also not sure if you noticed that explosives has a tier where there's two VERY similar traits for power builds (blasting zone and glass cannon), seems a bit redundant. Not sure if we can get some insight from a dev but I am taging the one that usually talks here and sometimes responds to people's questions on engi: @Robert Gee.9246

@Coolguy.8702 said:

@Chaith.8256 said:

@Coolguy.8702 said:No more buffs please, core engi is already pretty good, its iust that holo and broken specs overshadow it, id rather everything be nerfed down to core engi level instead.

Core Engi will get further PvP buffs, there's no avoiding that. The new balanced tier in PvP is: Holosmith, Chrono, D/P Daredevil, Tempest, core Ele, core S/D Thief, arguably Spellbreaker and a few others. Core Engi is multiple tiers below the tier ArenaNet is actively buffing and nerfing these classes to.

If you knew engis history with anet you'd realise engi almost never gets buffed and only nerfed, pre pof engi rifle was dog kitten and anet never once even tried to buff it which disproves you thinking core engi will get buffed. Like i said, core engi isnt being used as much because holo is a pure upgrade over it. Ive played core engi in pvp, and i had no issues with any of those builds besides spellbreaker and chrono. Core engi is perfectly fine and balanced, anet just gotta nerf everything else down to its level and this game will finally be close to balanced.

@Coolguy.8702 said:

@Chaith.8256 said:

If you knew engis history with anet you'd realise engi almost never gets buffed and only nerfed, pre pof engi rifle was dog kitten and anet never once even tried to buff it which disproves you thinking core engi will get buffed. Like i said, core engi isnt being used as much because holo is a pure upgrade over it. Ive played core engi in pvp, and i had no issues with any of those builds besides spellbreaker and chrono. Core engi is perfectly fine and balanced, anet just gotta nerf everything else down to its level and this game will finally be close to balanced.

Quite true, Condi Engi is a perfect example of this, i totally remember how i was a condition bomb with such build back then in the first few seasons.

I have tested it with today's season and it's defenitely not the same, the build has been overwhelmed by the powercreep, it seems like my big threatening skills barely do anything against my opponents. and oh my, poor of me if i am the one getting condi bombed.

As a core engineer, i agree with your statement \Cool Guy, the only thing i hate of it is how clunky and/or slow the pace of the build is, so much time to see those big numbers rolling...

@Coolguy.8702 said:

@Chaith.8256 said:

You can be a victim about it, most profession forums are, lul, but after the buffs to Acro, Strength, and Radiance, I think I'm starting to sense a trend. In HoT they were doing damage control on ridiculously OP things, way more OP than Scourge/FB are now, comparatively. PoF and recently pre-pof we saw lots of ArenaNet balance attempts to bring up the specs holding the rear, I'm certain that will continue.

@Lunateric.3708 said:I have always wondered why a trait like no scope exists, it is only a partial fury source while up close and has no other added benefit to it, think @Chaith.8256 's suggestion is good but maybe too similar to where I think he got the idea from (Retribution, radiance traitline from guard). That tier has no power option too.

Also not sure if you noticed that explosives has a tier where there's two VERY similar traits for power builds (blasting zone and glass cannon), seems a bit redundant. Not sure if we can get some insight from a dev but I am taging the one that usually talks here and sometimes responds to people's questions on engi: @Robert Gee.9246

Yeah obviously it is a huge parallel to the Radiance buffed trait, just a different trigger being 10+ might instead of retal.

No Scope hasn't fit into any meta build, no meta build has ever included Firearms since core spec overhaul in 2015, if I recall correctly.

You can be a victim about it, most profession forums are, lul, but after the buffs to Acro, Strength, and Radiance, I think I'm starting to sense a trend. In HoT they were doing damage control on ridiculously OP things, way more OP than Scourge/FB are now, comparatively. PoF and recently pre-pof we saw lots of ArenaNet balance attempts to bring up the specs holding the rear, I'm certain that will continue.

Nice try kid but your the one whos asking for buffs, im not a victim since i feel engi is in a great spot atm where its high risk/high reward. Lol anet buffs doesnt mean shit dude, most of them are usually lackluster buffs like "increased auto attack damage by 3%". As i said, core engi is only bad cause holo is a complete upgrade to the power build and the condi build is just overshadow by all the broken pof specs. If anet listens to people like you then everything would be op (some of the buffs you wrequested were just flat out broken).

@Coolguy.8702 said:

Nice try kid but your the one whos asking for buffs, im not a victim since i feel engi is in a great spot atm where its high risk/high reward. Lol anet buffs doesnt mean kitten dude, most of them are usually lackluster buffs like "increased auto attack damage by 3%". As i said, core engi is only bad cause holo is a complete upgrade to the power build and the condi build is just overshadow by all the broken pof specs. If anet listens to people like you then everything would be op (some of the buffs you wrequested were just flat out broken).

Well, no disrespect, but you're just wrong on lots of things:

1.) ArenaNet buffs do mean kitten, dude, Radiance, Acrobatics, Strength, these trait lines became awesome instead of being crap.2.) Core Engi is not only bad because Holo is an upgrade, it's bad because it's bottom tier in PvP every spec is better than core engi outside other bottom-tiers like Necro, Renegade, etc.

Also its not really helpful to say ur changes r broke kid without explanation..

@Coolguy.8702 said:

Nice try kid but your the one whos asking for buffs, im not a victim since i feel engi is in a great spot atm where its high risk/high reward. Lol anet buffs doesnt mean kitten dude, most of them are usually lackluster buffs like "increased auto attack damage by 3%". As i said, core engi is only bad cause holo is a complete upgrade to the power build and the condi build is just overshadow by all the broken pof specs. If anet listens to people like you then everything would be op (some of the buffs you wrequested were just flat out broken).

Can you please at least bring constructive/factual arguments to the topic?, every single profession sub is a cesspool of your kind of people, illogical, jaded, angry.

Most of the things he talks about and offers as suggestions already exist in game btw, the whole radiance traitline was reworked and has giant buffs to power guard on retal already there. The GM trait that interacts with retaliation is a whopping 50% crit rate, the previous tier is 10% damage and 250 Ferocity.

@Lunateric.3708 said:

@Coolguy.8702 said:

Can you please at least bring constructive/factual arguments to the topic?, every single profession sub is a cesspool of your kind of people, illogical, jaded, angry.

Most of the things he talks about and offers as suggestions already exist in game btw, the whole radiance traitline was reworked and has giant buffs to power guard on retal already there. The GM trait that interacts with retaliation is a whopping 50% crit rate, the previous tier is 10% damage and 250 Ferocity.

My thoughts exactly, 'anet will never buff X cause we're the forgotten red-headed step child of the GW2 Profession' seems to be a recurring theme on every profession forum eh

I been maining engineer on different accounts. I used to play guild wars 2 when queens dale champion trains were a thing and we had to buy trait books at 1g /5g /10g.

I seen engineer get nerfed hundreds of times. It doesn't feel good when a company doesn't try to communicate with you about what they think (or programmer design / intent / supposed to be) when it comes to engineer.

Engineer is very under powered. In all game modes. We generally require the most hands on rotations and skills / reflexes and knowledge requirements - and we perform fairly "average" compared to other specs and professions.

I play engineer because i feel drawn to it - subconsciously - and i enjoy it. Granted engineer has a good chunk of useless skills (so does everyother profession ) but i think engineer is literally the worst profession in the game since PoF released.

My biggest problem with engineer is that it takes more work and more effort to deal decent damage / heal better / tank better / = just be better in combat - than other professions. But that's mostly a pvp problems not a pve problem.

Engineer has no aegis, resistance, very little stability, very little quickness, huge cast times, mediocre power and condi damage, We have no unique mechanic and super speed is given out to other professions , we are not very tanky even with toughness and vitality, and if we go full berserker or condi build - are damage is not as good as say - a warrior or necro or a thief.

Engineer is just a solo player mess and i think holosmith is actually the strongest spec / build right now currently. Scrapper is ok...decent team work ...but as i played scrapper - i could never be a roamer (even in zerk gear) like a thief or a mesmer.

I am sure engineer is quite strong in spvp and 1v1s and for pve they should be able to do competitive damage - so there's that going for them. But engineer is very painful to play as when you look at your traits and they don't feel rewarding or powerful and you can't do much "outplays".

I do remember celestial power rifle and OP turrest and chemical healing bombs. Engineer had their broken moments. OH yea scrapper in HOT so tanky and powerful.

Yea good times i miss those times.

1.) ArenaNet buffs do mean kitten, dude, Radiance, Acrobatics, Strength, these trait lines became awesome instead of being crap.2.) Core Engi is not only bad because Holo is an upgrade, it's bad because it's bottom tier in PvP every spec is better than core engi outside other bottom-tiers like Necro, Renegade, etc.

You're also wrong on a lot of things, all those traitlines you listed were already very good at the beginning at the game then got nerfed and buffed over and over again. If anet has a habit of buffing underperforming things then why are there still useless traitlines and skills across the board (like thief critical strikes, necro death magic, warrior arms). I never said engi was underpowered (you did tho lmao) I think its the most balanced class in the game atm which is why I said all your buffs were pointless and would just add more powercreep to the game. Also based on your profile history i can tell you just love to piss people off, esp since you actually think firebrand support is broken.

@Anthony.7630 said:I been maining engineer on different accounts. I used to play guild wars 2 when queens dale champion trains were a thing and we had to buy trait books at 1g /5g /10g.

I seen engineer get nerfed hundreds of times. It doesn't feel good when a company doesn't try to communicate with you about what they think (or programmer design / intent / supposed to be) when it comes to engineer.

Engineer is very under powered. In all game modes. We generally require the most hands on rotations and skills / reflexes and knowledge requirements - and we perform fairly "average" compared to other specs and professions.

I play engineer because i feel drawn to it - subconsciously - and i enjoy it. Granted engineer has a good chunk of useless skills (so does everyother profession ) but i think engineer is literally the worst profession in the game since PoF released.

My biggest problem with engineer is that it takes more work and more effort to deal decent damage / heal better / tank better / = just be better in combat - than other professions. But that's mostly a pvp problems not a pve problem.

Engineer has no aegis, resistance, very little stability, very little quickness, huge cast times, mediocre power and condi damage, We have no unique mechanic and super speed is given out to other professions , we are not very tanky even with toughness and vitality, and if we go full berserker or condi build - are damage is not as good as say - a warrior or necro or a thief.

Engineer is just a solo player mess and i think holosmith is actually the strongest spec / build right now currently. Scrapper is ok...decent team work ...but as i played scrapper - i could never be a roamer (even in zerk gear) like a thief or a mesmer.

I am sure engineer is quite strong in spvp and 1v1s and for pve they should be able to do competitive damage - so there's that going for them. But engineer is very painful to play as when you look at your traits and they don't feel rewarding or powerful and you can't do much "outplays".

I do remember celestial power rifle and OP turrest and chemical healing bombs. Engineer had their broken moments. OH yea scrapper in HOT so tanky and powerful.

This is overly pessimistic, > @Coolguy.8702 said:

You're also wrong on a lot of things, all those traitlines you listed were already very good at the beginning at the game then got nerfed and buffed over and over again. If anet has a habit of buffing underperforming things then why are there still useless traitlines and skills across the board (like thief critical strikes, necro death magic, warrior arms). I never said engi was underpowered (you did tho lmao) I think its the most balanced class in the game atm which is why I said all your buffs were pointless and would just add more powercreep to the game. Also based on your profile history i can tell you just love to kitten people off, esp since you actually think firebrand support is broken.

Core Engi is underpowered in PvP, no amount of nerfs to anything else will make it good, cause they'd have to nerf 15 specs. Firebrand makes tempest obsolete in PvP, it should be fair to where they both are useful. I'm not trying to tick people off.. Unless the truth hurts :trollface:

Core Engi is underpowered in PvP, no amount of nerfs to anything else will make it good, cause they'd have to nerf 15 specs. Firebrand makes tempest obsolete in PvP, it should be fair to where they both are useful. I'm not trying to tick people off.. Unless the truth hurts :trollface:

Except its not, i dunno if you're new to engi but ive won plenty this season playing a classic static discharge boon spam build, less damage then holo but more sustain as it should be, firebrand making tempest obsolete is mainly cause scourge (which is broken as fuck and will be nerfed...) just wipes tempest off the game due to tempest not having enough cleanse to handle it. Firebrand has less healing but more stability and cleanse to make up for it.

@Coolguy.8702 said:

Except its not, i dunno if you're new to engi but ive won plenty this season playing a classic static discharge boon spam build, less damage then holo but more sustain as it should be, firebrand making tempest obsolete is mainly cause scourge (which is broken as kitten and will be nerfed...) just wipes tempest off the game due to tempest not having enough cleanse to handle it. Firebrand has less healing but more stability and cleanse to make up for it.

First time Engi here, grats on your God of PvP title with Static Discharge core Engi

@Coolguy.8702 said:

Except its not, i dunno if you're new to engi but ive won plenty this season playing a classic static discharge boon spam build, less damage then holo but more sustain as it should be, firebrand making tempest obsolete is mainly cause scourge (which is broken as kitten and will be nerfed...) just wipes tempest off the game due to tempest not having enough cleanse to handle it. Firebrand has less healing but more stability and cleanse to make up for it.

Relevant:

Do you know who you're talking to?

@DirtyMonk.9240 said:

@Chaba.5410 said:

it would be interesting to see your build. Link me if you do not mind. Hate this pirate ship meta, also forced to play rev because of it. And i dont knowhow you play without stability trait...its not ok on wvw, only bcs of alot of CCs/

I basically run this: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vdAQJAsenEIDlIjVID2XBcJjlBD7LAseePg1n7TQpvHWETiA-jFCEQBwb/Bmo0AAnAAHqMbjKBbjeA/p+jLfAABAQAM0hO0hO0hGpAWdrF-w

Stab comes from my party. Yea, it's tough sometimes if a teammate misses their rotation but that's what Elixir S is for, LOL. We play a modified pirate ship where we actually do pushes too because if you don't attempt pushes you allow the opponent to optimize for ranged damage only, which hurts. I'd prefer to run rifle, which I started with when PoF came out, but rifle doesn't really have cleave. I swap to rifle and replace Hard Light Arena with something else if I'm not zerging. The recent change to sword is pretty nice.

@Chaith.8256 said:

@Chaba.5410 said:

did you check out my suggested changes to Scrapper? Having Final Salvo fields move with your position will fill any group needs for that

Scapper is in a weird place ever since the dazes were removed from gyros. It got relegated to typical engi "jack of all trades" role where it attempted to be a supporty class with some dps - bruiser I guess. It didn't feel at all distinct from anything. And Scrapper is even more melee-oriented than Holosmith, in a meta that is very anti-melee.... I've already been feeling like I need to slot in grenades or even replace prime light beam with mortar kit due to the pirate ship because without rifle I can only really lay down the damage when we engage close up.

@Chaba.5410 said:

@Chaith.8256 said:

@Chaba.5410 said:

Scapper is in a weird place ever since the dazes were removed from gyros. It got relegated to typical engi "jack of all trades" role where it attempted to be a supporty class with some dps - bruiser I guess. It didn't feel at all distinct from anything. And Scrapper is even more melee-oriented than Holosmith, in a meta that is very anti-melee.... I've already been feeling like I need to slot in grenades or even replace prime light beam with mortar kit due to the pirate ship because without rifle I can only really lay down the damage when we engage close up.

I think Scrapper should become more useful in WvW group content. It has WvW written all over it. A good idea would be for Decisive Renown to instead of granting might, instead, grant 10 targets maximum for abilities that apply super speed to allies.

@Chaba.5410 said:

@Chaith.8256 said:

@Chaba.5410 said:

I think Scrapper should become more useful in WvW. Having Decisive Renown instead of granting might, increasing the amount of allies that benefit from the Scrapper's super speed to 10 would help a lot, I added that to my list of suggestions :)

How about a modification to Chemical Rounds ? Tell me what you think of that :

Chemical RoundsIncrease the condition duration and the attack speed of pistol skills if you wield two pistols.Duration Increase : 30%Attack Speed Increase : 30%

I imagine that while you have this trait equipped, you alternaterively fire with each pistol instead of only shooting with one hand for Fragmentation Shot and Poison Dart Volley. It would be classy and fun while not being that OP since you would win DPS on 1. and 2. but loose DPS for Blowtorch, which is your main damaging skill. You'll lose the bonus if you equip Pistol + Shield, but I don't think your main source of DPS comes from 1. 2. 3. when playing a build with Shield. I even doubt people would take Firearms trait line. My proposition be the most effective in PvP, where an Engineer would more consistantly apply conditions while camping Pistol for range attacks. (since the kits providing conditions are mainly melee).

@RedSPINE.7845 said:How about a modification to Chemical Rounds ? Tell me what you think of that :

Chemical RoundsIncrease the condition duration and the attack speed of pistol skills if you wield two pistols.Duration Increase : 30%Attack Speed Increase : 30%

I imagine that while you have this trait equipped, you alternaterively fire with each pistol instead of only shooting with one hand for Fragmentation Shot and Poison Dart Volley. It would be classy and fun while not being that OP since you would win DPS on 1. and 2. but loose DPS for Blowtorch, which is your main damaging skill. You'll lose the bonus if you equip Pistol + Shield, but I don't think your main source of DPS comes from 1. 2. 3. when playing a build with Shield. I even doubt people would take Firearms trait line. My proposition be the most effective in PvP, where an Engineer would more consistantly apply conditions while camping Pistol for range attacks. (since the kits providing conditions are mainly melee).

Pistols #1 and #2 are really bad, a 30% speed boost would be very welcome, at the expense of reduced duration. Animation change would be awesome too. Overall, I think this change would be very welcome, but the trait is currently not dead, if Pistol Mainhand or any condi builds were worthy, 50% base Condi duration would be clearly better than the alternatives.

@Anthony.7630 said:I been maining engineer on different accounts. I used to play guild wars 2 when queens dale champion trains were a thing and we had to buy trait books at 1g /5g /10g.

This is overly pessimistic, > @Coolguy.8702 said:

You're also wrong on a lot of things, all those traitlines you listed were already very good at the beginning at the game then got nerfed and buffed over and over again. If anet has a habit of buffing underperforming things then why are there still useless traitlines and skills across the board (like thief critical strikes, necro death magic, warrior arms). I never said engi was underpowered (you did tho lmao) I think its the most balanced class in the game atm which is why I said all your buffs were pointless and would just add more powercreep to the game. Also based on your profile history i can tell you just love to kitten people off, esp since you actually think firebrand support is broken.

They should nerf 15 specs though. If everything is OP, then .. everything is OP. They wont, but they should..

Holo is considered balanced and I still feel like I'm doing too much damage to everything.