Anet switched to higher ping Amazon servers since 2 weeks ago

since two weeks ago Anet has silently migrated almost all instances of HOTM, actual ranked/unranked/AT mapsto 10.63.75.X amazon-owned serversThis affects EVERYBODY in pvp who does not live in the northeast of the united states like NY, virginia, or eastern Canada. If you're from those places, you are getting the same or lower ping now, but you are among the minority.For everyone else, If you aren't aware of this, you probably never bothered to check. Check your ping next time if you are from west or central US/Canada, you will see what I mean.Most people are now getting 30-40 higher ping in PVP compared to before, from 60-70 to 100-120

Anet hosting instances in these new amazon servers is causing so much more skills to not register due to higher ping for the majority of people, yet we haven't heard a single statement about it - nothing.

I think PVP servers should remain hosted on 64.25 NCsoft texas data centers so PVP players across north america can get lower and more stable ping like 80 at the worst, instead of west coast players getting 120 ping. PVE/WVW servers can remain on 10.63 IPs, because having 100 ping in PVE doesn't really affect things as much.it was FINE the way it has been for the last four years, migrating just makes all west coast, south, central US /canada players, even AUS players have more lag.

***Anyway, besides getting some anet statement, I KNOW you guys still have 64.25 servers out there because right now like 1/5 of instances i join are 64.25.I am suggesting that you guys host all PVP instances (which should be a tiny minority of all the instances running for GW2 at any given point) on 64.25 only, while you can keep all instances of other modes on the new servers.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Taken from another poster from another thread:

@antares.5916 said:

@Danzig.4051 said:Ok, just like everyone else I am having problems with Guild Wars 2 crashing, freezing and a erratic and excessively high ping.

But I would like to share with everyone that flash based speed tests like speedtest.net are notoriously inaccurate due to just like our games they are simply a simulator they take information from our modems that the ISP's put there and simulate it to fool consumers.

Here are two far more legitimate and most importantly accurate Internet speed checkers

- Is a great speed checker for if we log in to the website it saves our data therefor we can look back and compare our old speed tests and that has been very helpful for me.

http://s787.photobucket.com/user/Danzig83/media/test%20my%20net.jpg.html?sort=3&o=3

- Is a nice simple but accurate speed checker as well.

http://s787.photobucket.com/user/Danzig83/media/Test.jpg.html?sort=3&o=6

Now due to I live in the Bantay, Philippines and play on the Guild Wars 2 Fissure of Woe server I thought my internet was foobar but no with the tools I listed above I found out my Philippine Long Distance Telephone Internet 99% of the time was fine just needing the modem shut down and all wires disconnected for a few minutes to reset the unit for the problem was much more complex.

For months I have been using command prompt and checking my ping to my ISP to police them, so as soon as my computer is turned on I start using command prompt. And 99% of the time my ping is nice and steady 17 ms - 23 ms with a occasional spike but nothing to worry about.

http://s787.photobucket.com/user/Danzig83/media/pldthome.com%20-t.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

So when I have problem with excessive and erratic ping in Guild Wars 2 I started to get very curious but only started to look into the real cause after the expansion due to excessive game freezing or crashing that is very well known to corrupt my game client.

So I recently did a trace route using command prompt and low and behold what came out of it was very telling indeed.

http://s787.photobucket.com/user/Danzig83/media/Guild%20Wars%20Europe.jpg.html?sort=3&o=2

Now to break down the last screen shot in descending order to see the pings.

http://s787.photobucket.com/user/Danzig83/media/trace%20route%2035.158.82.209.jpg.html?sort=3&o=5

http://s787.photobucket.com/user/Danzig83/media/trace%20route%2052.28.119.137.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

We think of Amazon as being a online retail giant but the reality is they are much more than what meet the eye.

When doing our dailies it should take between 5 minutes and no more than 30 minutes for me it can take several hours due to a ingame ping that fluctuates between 350 ms and 5k just to get my daily free 2 gold and it isn't worth it for me no more I like Guild Wars 2 a lot and I love the guild that I am in very much but I cannot deal with the excessive frustration that comes with the game.

I feel that it is wise to point fingers at Amazon for most of our in game woes not forgetting that ANET is spineless for not keeping its players up to date on the state of the game after all internet connection issues are also their problem.Hopefully what I have posted will help other people.

Cheers

You're not alone. Same country, same problem. It's not so bad in the mornings, but at night, at around GMT+8 8:00pm, the latency spikes starts. And guess what? It's only GW2 that's having this issue for me. 2 months ago,
I only get high latency on the Amazon servers (the 10.xx.xx.xx map ip's).
But now that the servers are seeing wide-spread use in-game, it's a horrible experience for me. And the fact that Anet has not made any official statement about this baffles and disappoints me.

I am on the verge of quitting the game since it has become really unplayable for me. It's a shame though because I love this game, and the times that there were no issues , were a perfect game experience.

Taken from yet another different thread

@Anonymouse.4760 said:Yeah I am having this issue as well, prior to this I would have an average of 65 ping and now it sits at around 110. Please fixhttps://imgur.com/a/TCcdd

@Xtrverz.4069 said:Really hard to play on such high ping hope this gets fixed.

@tomwjd.8172 said:+1seems significant, moved from east coast and can confirm to this.

@Torqiseknite.1380 said:I'm also experiencing this, every ip is now 10.63.xx with consistently higher ping

@Abelisk.4527 said:I too have been noticing higher ping than usual.

While not in pvp, for me. I have noticed higher latency (I live in Texas). I have been jotting down latency issues, map ip, and ping. I have noticed that it affects all of their ip's in the 10.63.x.x range. Here are the results that I have:

10.63.74.150 - 200+64.25.38.210 - 7410.63.75.66 - 200+10.63.74.139 - 200+10.63.74.142 - 200+64.25.38.143 - 78

@Torqiseknite.1380 said:It would be good if anet could at least provide a reply on this topic, right now most map instances are 10.63.xx ips with a few being 64.25.xx, and the 10.63.xx instances tend to be noticeably laggier for non-east coast players

I live in Florida and it’s still just as bad. I have a ticket opened for over 2 weeks now, where they’re having me perform various steps woth the way my network is setup and none of them work (surprise, surprise?), but hey I’m still performing them and not letting the ticket be closed so we’ll see. :smile:

I'm in agreeance — ANET needs to answer as to what their plans are while their servers compromise the game as a whole.

It seems like it could be an easy fix to keep PvE or a select number of instances on the 10.XXX servers, but keep PvP matches and preferably WvW on the 64.XXX instances.

I'm also affected, in case it wasn't clear. Went from 34 average ping to just around 100 average ping.

@Duzik.9137 said:

@Vasdamas Anklast.1607 said:Eastern Siberia here. Been changing from 130 to 180 for ages, nothing changed exactly. (is this ping considered playable btw?)

anything above 60 is considered not so good , anything above 100 is bad , 200 is lag land. I think the problems is with NA servers. Doubt that EU is affected.

Ugh yeah, you are right. I tend to forget that NA servers exist sometimes. Still, it'd be good if they never switched anything for EU so we don't experience the same problems NA does.