Who is your favorite mentor from personal story? — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Who is your favorite mentor from personal story?

Mea.5491Mea.5491 Member ✭✭✭✭
edited November 22, 2017 in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

And why? :)

Who is your favorite mentor from personal story? 279 votes

Forgal
11%
nottsgman.8206Kheldorn.5123Dashingsteel.3410IndigoSundown.5419DietPepsi.4371Ashantara.8731Torn Fierceslash.6375joneirikb.7506BlueBudgie.2179calb.3128Tsume.4762Felipe.1807Vyrulisse.1246Radiobiology.6185Brimstone.3807Alga.6498Crossaber.8934Tseison.4659sevenDEADLY.5281shakome.7458 33 votes
Sieran
28%
Vitali.5039particlepinata.9865maddoctor.2738Endless Soul.5178anxnox.9027Neural.1824Glider.5792Vlad Morbius.1759Yadovid.5863mosser.7695Sciger.1679Curunen.8729Arden.7480Mea.5491Fantasy.5321Tachenon.5270Skyblades.6485Tanner Blackfeather.6509notebene.3190zoozebra.7320 79 votes
Tybalt
59%
Seera.5916Razor.6392AegisRunestone.8672Cerioth.7062Pifil.5193fwuffyness.3158Erulogos.2591Meestercat.2748Matt H.6142mikansei.5742Rauderi.8706Schewe.1673revodeel.2651Khailyn.6248jheryn.8390Zacchary.6183RoseofGilead.8907Alatar.7364Inculpatus cedo.9234Tiscan.8345 167 votes
<1

Comments

• Tybalt

Forgal too Norn for me.
    Sieran looks and sounds like majority of Sylvaris out there. I was very cherry when she acted like a plant and bury herself.
    Tybalt is the best character in GW2.

• Tybalt

I'd be out of my apples not to vote for Tybalt.

The Assassin of Rata Sum
    Proud Member of Wards of the Mists [WARD]

• Tsakhi.8124Tsakhi.8124 Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 22, 2017
    Tybalt

I liked them all, Forgal because he reminds me of Gibbs from NCIS, Sieran because her personality is cute and I want to hug her every time I see her. Tybalt, though, he made me feel genuinely liked and needed; he reminded me that as long as we're laughing, we're living. Sometimes I make an Apple Tart and eat it in his honor. XD

"Moderately wise a man should be-don't wish for too much wisdom: a man's heart is seldom happy if he is truly wise.

Moderately wise a man should be- don't wish for too much wisdom: if you can't see far into the future, you can live free from care."-

Hávamál

• Forgal

Tybalt was annoying. He wasted far too much time on his final speech, I just wanted him to go die, as he had in every instance before. And so he did. I really hate being an enabler for "Local Idiot finally Does Something" headlines.

Centuries ago, I saved Tyria. I've since realized that it is, in Arthur's words, "a silly place".

• Forgal

Forgal won me over when raided that Charr camp. :) The best.

• Halan.8951Halan.8951 Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 19, 2017
    Sieran

• Tybalt

@Halan.8951 said:
    Sieran + Rat-Tastrophe mission = many feels :3

@Ayumi Spender.1082 said:
    Sieran looks and sounds like majority of Sylvaris out there. I was very cherry when she acted like a plant and bury herself.

Boo :#

Boo on not liking her or sounding and looking like majority of the Sylvari female npcs?

• Tybalt

I agree that Sieran was the most rounded character and had a more realistic character arc. But you can never forget your first time so for me it will always be the cuddly apple loving Tybalt.

• Lome.8239Lome.8239 Member ✭✭✭
    Tybalt

I've missed you, Tybalt. Grab an apple and lets finish this.

• Oglaf.1074Oglaf.1074 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Tybalt

Tybalt and his lovely, round apples when in human girl form.

Please Anet give us a hide Chest Armour-option. Tattoo-clad Norns everywhere beg of you.

• Kumouta.4985Kumouta.4985 Member ✭✭✭
    Tybalt

i only remember and miss tybalt.

• particlepinata.9865particlepinata.9865 Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 22, 2017
    Sieran

I just discovered the VA for my favorite Sieran also Voices the Titans quest 10 th anniversery edition im playing on Steam =) The reason i chose her is she has a laidback dont worry too much personality which i like.

• Zedek.8932Zedek.8932 Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 22, 2017

Tybalt did not actually teach me much, but I would favour for Zrii and Batanga. We infiltrated more laboratories and killed more people silently than with Tybalt.
    Good times to turn that lab into a mess with Batanga or to play a bit with the Peacemakers in Rata Sum with Zrii (I hope I did not accidently flipped the missions)

Now, a couple of years later, my Asura turned from a pickpocket to a self-disciplined sniper. That could've never happend with Tybalt, who had too much of...eh...a heart and...ugh...empathy for living beings.

Also, I do not accept anyone as Mentor when he or she is not Asuran.

Excelsior.

Excelsior, my name is Zedexx; Asuran Deadeye and assassin.
    The Hunter / 2x Darksteel Pistols / 2x Whisper's Secret Daggers and my Springer. That's all I need and trust.
    "We [Asura] are the concentrated magnificence!"

• Illconceived Was Na.9781Illconceived Was Na.9781 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 22, 2017
    Sieran

@particlepinata.9865 said:
    I just discovered the VA for my favorite Sieran also Voices the Titans quest 10 th anniversery edition

Julia McIlvaine.
    Interestingly, she has a minor role in a Korean-language film noir called, Asura (retitled to Asura: Gate of Madness).

"Face the facts. Then act on them. It's ...the only doctrine I have to offer you, & it's harder than you'd think, because I swear humans seem hardwired to do anything but. Face the facts. Don't pray, don't wish, ...FACE THE FACTS. THEN act." — Quellcrist Falconer

• Tachenon.5270Tachenon.5270 Member ✭✭✭
    Sieran

Sieran, because it's so hilariously obvious she's a double agent trying her best to get us killed.

• Tybalt

Tybalt was a really memorable character. But I really liked the Sieran story since it put the pc in close proximity to Gixx. Gixx was just great.

Do not allow the perfect to be the enemy of the good.

Tybalt

I gotta say though, I did enjoy Forgal as well - but only because my character was a young Norn Warrior who had a special kinship with the old guy.

I'm sure he's quite forgettable otherwise.

Please Anet give us a hide Chest Armour-option. Tattoo-clad Norns everywhere beg of you.

• Ashen.2907Ashen.2907 Member ✭✭✭✭

I disliked all of them, Claw Island ensured that.

• Tybalt

I liked them all a lot but Tybalt was, too me, the most memorable by far.

As the old worlds fall behind
    Our spirit reaches wide
    With no fear breathing new life
    Awaken from the dark dark slumber

Wintersun - Awaken from the dark slumber (Spring) - Part II The Awakening

• Forgal

Forgal for me. I like to think of my character as being in her mid to late teens, a young and carefree type who's still learning the ways of the world. And Forgal was this old graying warrior who has seen everything and fought countless battles. The old warrior takes this young kid under his wing, teaching her everything he can about battle. And then, in one final stand of glory, he passes the torch to her, giving up his life that she might live to carry on what he taught her the rest of her life. The events of this part of her story forging her from a headstrong kid into a more level headed warrior.

Simple as it might be, I'm a total sucker for this type of story writing. XD

side note: it's been years since I last did these missions and some parts might have been changed a bit in my memory over time ^^;

• Alimar.8760Alimar.8760 Member ✭✭✭
    Tybalt

I still owe him an apple cider...cries

• Razor.6392Razor.6392 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Tybalt

Tybalt 24/7

@Westenev.5289 said:

If Anet wants to challenge me on this, perhaps a "last stand on claw island" fractal could be in order? >:D

That would be lovely.

Never said I'm the best, but I believe I'm better than you.

• Ashantara.8731Ashantara.8731 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 23, 2017
    Forgal

Forgal was the only mentor I could emotionally bond with during the story (and feel truly sad when he sacrificed himself). I liked his background best as well.

Sieran was overly cheerful for my taste ("Cherry!"), and Tybalt was more like a teddybear than a Charr (although some of it was fun to play).

• Tybalt

Because apples.

• Tybalt

Anyone got an apple? I'm looking for apples!

• Griever.8150Griever.8150 Member ✭✭✭
    Tybalt

Tybalt by far. One of my favorite character in the whole game, next to Rytlock and Marjory.

• Cynz.9437Cynz.9437 Member ✭✭✭✭

None of them tbh. I really wish we could get someone like the main character from "Thief" game (a thief with a lot of very very sarcastic remarks) to be our mentor from Order of Whispers.

GW is P2Win. We are always lied to.

• Tybalt

Tybalt is just amazing! I did all the other orders quest line but no one made a connection with me as did tybalt!

• Mea.5491Mea.5491 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Sieran

Can anyone explain the love for Tybalt? I've done the Whispers storyline a few times but I thought he was boring. No offence, I'm just curious. ;)

• Dashiva.6149Dashiva.6149 Member ✭✭✭
    Tybalt

@Mea.5491 said:
    Can anyone explain the love for Tybalt? I've done the Whispers storyline a few times but I thought he was boring. No offence, I'm just curious. ;)

Can't speak for others, but for me he was the most memorable character (altough I really liked Sieran too). He also breaks the stereotype of Charr being all military and gruff.
    His VA was pretty good too.

• Feanor.2358Feanor.2358 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Tybalt

There's more than one mentor in the story?

• Chorne.8195Chorne.8195 Member ✭✭✭
    Sieran

I loved Tybalt, but honestly, I love Sieran even more. I loved how cheerful she was. I chose the Durmand Priory on my first playthrough and Sieran was my favorite character by far in a sea of boring and dull cardboard standups. I never looked on the forums or other spoiler-filled places when I first started playing and when she died it shocked me quite a bit...
    I honestly didn't like the Vigil storyline, ( Or guardians, ) so I deleted my Vigil guardian character. I never liked the amount of Forgal I got to see so I'm not doing it again.

• RoseofGilead.8907RoseofGilead.8907 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Tybalt

I adore both Tybalt and Forgal, but I think Tybalt comes out as my favorite. Tybalt was given some of the funniest lines from the personal story, and he was also easy for me to sympathize with. Forgal was also written pretty well.

Oh look. I have a signature now.

• Sieran

@Dashiva.6149 said:

@Mea.5491 said:
    Can anyone explain the love for Tybalt?

His VA was pretty good too.

Yes, it was indeed.

I liked all three VAs. Much as I think Forgal is an unimaginative trope, Paul Eiding nailed the performance. And whatever my concerns are about Tybalt, Jim Ward also did a great job. (I still prefer Julia McIlvaine & Sieran, but then, I also think the character had the most to work with.)

"Face the facts. Then act on them. It's ...the only doctrine I have to offer you, & it's harder than you'd think, because I swear humans seem hardwired to do anything but. Face the facts. Don't pray, don't wish, ...FACE THE FACTS. THEN act." — Quellcrist Falconer

• Locce.8405Locce.8405 Member ✭✭✭
    Tybalt

I really like all of them, but Tybalt is just on another level. He was a better Demmi Beeltlestone than Demmi Beetlestone. ^^

• Forgal

@Mea.5491 said:

Tis baffling to me as well.

Centuries ago, I saved Tyria. I've since realized that it is, in Arthur's words, "a silly place".

• Tybalt

@Mea.5491 said:

For me it's he was like the big brother type.
    He isn't like other Charrs I've seen in the game except for one I think in Blazeridge who asks his friend if he was Catnapped, and even then he's not a "big" character.
    While I do like Rytlock, he's still like other Charrs. Rugged, a bit grumpy, growling voice, either annoyed or serious or snotty, and usually war-hungry.

Tybalt "IS" none of those. He was carefree, he seemed to like what he was doing, who he was, and didn't need any type of war or fighting to get enjoyment. He was more down to earth as well and seems like the casual type. I found him awesome and I'm not really much of a person that like Charrs except for a very very select few.
    I like Charrs more than Norn, but still... very very select few.

For me, Forgal was too much like a Norn going through an alcoholic withdrawal. He was a bit too serious and a bit too annoyed at things for my liking. At the end he did loosen up a bit more, but even then he felt like he could've either been well... Norn or those Charrs I mentioned that I'm not really a fan of.

Sieran felt fake. Way too fake. Too happy all the time and like she's putting on a face. Even when she had to go kill herself she still was all high hearted and "cherry" (cheery) in a way. I just can't stand people like that as they always seems like they can't be themselves and have to be super optimistic to be accepted. I just have low tolerance in things like that.

I have no clue what happens to Tybalt on the island as I've 1st completed as Vigil then I was just at that mission on my Order's character until I started to work on a 3rd character and went through Priory.
    Saw what happened in Vigil... saw it was the same thing as Priory... I made my decision to never complete my Orders character ever as I really don't think I can stomach that happening to Tybalt.

• Ben K.6238Ben K.6238 Member ✭✭✭
    Tybalt

I'm sorry Forgal and Sieran, but this is one more fight you ain't gonna win.

Tybalt

@Teofa Tsavo.9863 said:

@Mea.5491 said:

Tis baffling to me as well.

His comments during the mission where he magically turns into a human girl.

Also, his voice actor is quite good. Well above average for GW2.

• Tybalt

Tybalt for me too because you don't see many Charrs that get excited about a promotion like he did almost like he was touched by it. Because he was Charr and he lost his left paw he was shunned by his warband. The order of whispers was his only option. He felt bad that he could not contribute like he wanted to for his old warband though. He loved to joke around, but kept to business too. The other part I liked was that he was not much more experienced than you were, maybe by only a week or two. But the best line in the story was What part of secret society don't you understand.

Forgal was witty in his own way but still a gruff attitude. Very nice but strict at the same time kind of like a drill Sargent.

Seiran was a true sylvari always looking for new things and after they were found got so excited about it she would almost squeal about it. Because Sylvari are the youngest race they pretty much have to be in awe of older races.

Now the deaths for each were similar for Tybalt and Forgal kind of the hero thing in their own way, but seiren was different it was just another fun adventure for her to be had.

<1
©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.