Low FPS / Lag Issues [MERGED]

As I stated in the title, after PoF came out I've had insane FPS drops (1-2 FPS, basically a slide show) in the city and while out in the world whenever i do anything, including just turning my camera. My CPU usage has also skyrocketed whenever I launch GW2 from about 5-7% while idle on a web browser to 100% from just launching the game (50% briefly after the launcher is opened). Before PoF came out, I was consistently running GW2 at 40+ FPS before PoF release on relatively high settings.

Also, this is only happening in GW2. I've had no problems whatsoever with frame drops and high CPU usage in games such as Warframe and World of Warcraft. Knowing this, I contacted support to see if it may be a problem on their end, but it's been 3 days and they haven't replied.

It sucks because I've barely been able to play PoF which I was pretty hyped to get started on. If anyone else has experienced theses issues please comment so ArenaNet can take notice and see if it really is a problem on their end.

Specs:Video Card - EVGA Geforce GTX 960 SSCProcessor - Intel Core i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.4GHz8GB of ram

I'm having the same problem. The first few days was running fine didn't lag at all in the new maps but about 2-3 days ago my frame rate jumps to 15 to 3 frames per second, its not playable at the moment and I tested other games as well and those games run fine. I don't have the best pc but this never happens to me and i shouldnt be getting 3 frames per second. I'm guessing the latest patches caused the game to have a memory leakage cause when i run task manager while running gw2 i can see gw2 eating up more memory then it normally does. I hope they fix this soon so I can actually play the game.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi,

I've recently returned to GW2 after several years away, and I'm running it on a brand new desktop PC.The specs on my computer are: Intel Core i7-7700, GeForce GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB DDR4 2666 MHz. I'm also running the game from an SSD.

I tested my FPS on Heaven Benchmark 4.0 on highest possible settings @ 2560x1440 and got ~80-100 fps on most scenes, occasionally dropping down to a steady 60-70 fps on some more intense scenes.

However, when running GW2 I sometimes randomly start getting really low fps (30-40), even personal story instances and fractals. I could understand it if I only got fps drops during massive world event bosses or similar situations, but a lot of the time during world event bosses I have a solid 80+ fps.

Any help with fixing this would be appreciated, as this is really frustrating.

What NVIDIA driver version are you guys running? It's been reported what version 388.13 and other older drivers from r387 branch may cause this issue.However, it seems like latest driver 388.31 works much better. I was unable to reproduce massive FPS drops with this driver on my GTX 970 and 980 Ti.

@Predator.1398 said:What NVIDIA driver version are you guys running? It's been reported what version 388.13 and other older drivers from r387 branch may cause this issue.However, it seems like latest driver 388.31 works much better. I was unable to reproduce massive FPS drops with this driver on my GTX 970 and 980 Ti.

I've been running version 388.31 for some time now.

I've been having the same problem since Saturday afternoon.I play on a laptop, so it is not super high end, but the game always ran well and with few issues. I've tried: rolling back the main .dat file to a September back-up and updating, clearing the cache in AppData, installing the new nVidia drivers (to 388 from 384), and updating Windows 7. My character models are set to Low. None of it helped.Now, here's the thing. I get 50-60 FPS and everything is alright while I'm doing "simple" things, like gathering in my home instance and dailies. The moment I have to fight, it drops to 5-10 FPS and becomes a slide show. I ran the diagnostics and it looks like the game keeps using the disk (I can hear it turning on and off the way it really, really should not). I'm afraid to play the game any more at this point, and it really sucks because we've got a new episode coming tomorrow.

I hope there's a solution to this. The problem is completely new and very confusing.

do you have shadowplay on btw? im pretty sure it's nvidia shadowplay. I had to turn mine off . my frames would drop to like 9 fps randomly but once i turned it off and restarted my game i had no issues.

i have similar specs with a OC'd 7700k & a 1080ti-- definitely shouldn't be dropping frames but yeah try turning off shadowplay.

You can try updating drivers or tweaking settings but it will not help since that is not the problem. Performance problem is a known issue for GW2, something that ArenaNet never really tried (or plans) to fix. What boggles the mind tho is that ArenaNet knows it, but they still keep releasing assets and map design that cannot be handled by the GW2 client. I mean really, that is something mind boggling...

New maps coming out right, I bet that map will be beautiful but performance will be terrible (like always).

• 2 weeks later...

Press F11 > Graphics Options > Check "Frame Limiter" if it's set to 60 - If not then your V-Sync is enabled. In most cases the only reason you'd want to go higher than that is if you have a 144hz monitor. However if your monitor is 60hz I suggest leaving the limiter to 60 as it would only put unnecessary load + higher temperatures on your GPU with no benefits.

Hello, 2 months ago i bought a new laptop with gtx 1050 i7-7700 to replace my old gtx 650ti - i5 but i had very low fps on my new laptop around 15 - 20 fps. I tried to do everything but it didn't work. When i was desperated i read somewhere about a fix, after that it worked like a charm. Here is the method :

• Check for newest graphic driver.
  • Run > msconfig > Boot > Advanced Options > Check "Number of processors" then drop down and pick highest number in my case is 8 > Uncheck "Maximum Memory".
  • Restart and run gw2.

I don't know if this work on you tho because my case was a newly bought laptop but not replace new graphic card. Atleast it worked for me

V-sync only caps your fps to 60 if you have a 60hz native monitor. If you have a 165hz monitor then your v-sync cap will be 165 - assuming you have the horsepower to push fps above that. If you're computer isn't as strong, but have a 165hz monitor, then your fps will be as much as your computer can render.

• 3 weeks later...

Is anyone still experiencing this? My fps was fine before but it started to drop suddenly down to 4-7fps before going back up again in the last 2 weeks. This week it got worse, it's 60+ when I first boot gw2 then drops and stays at 20s fps after about 15minutes.

I'm playing on a 3 year old laptop with i7 4700, GTX 860m and 8gb ram. I used to run it with low/medium settings at 1080p and get 40-60fps. Now I can't even get stable fps with lowest settings at 720p.

I tried playing other games like Overwatch, Paladins and Heroes of the Storm and they work fine with medium/high settings.