Hmm I thought it was OK. The story telling was pretty high quality, and very well done. I really appreciate that you also removed a lot of the projectile hate that was in PoF

There are just still somethings that I feel need a bit of polish:

• The branded awakened archers feel a bit overtuned
  • The meta events also feel a bit overtuned
  • I would love to see a way point added to the area near the ship meta. Everything there pretty much can 1-hit KO you and it is super annoying having to run back from the wp, even with mounts.
  • The Sunspear assistance things that you can buy in the astralarium also feels a bit under tuned for its cost, I think that needs a longer duration at least.
  • Also before I forget, the story instance where your have to fight that awakened Sunspears lady, can you add a respawn at the start of the fight instead of leaving the respond in the prison. It was really frustrating having to complete the sneaky prison encounter gain when you die.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like:Content and map are pretty cool.Story was a step up from PoF, things actually happening to important characters that didn't feel forced. Reintroduced Joko and took him in an interesting direction that seemed natural for the GW2 era world.Sunspears being sunspears.Reconnecting with an old GW1 friend (wish he had a better VO and fight though)Additional fractal sinks that feel worthwhile but not necessary.Lots of optional VO conversations, some are context sensitive.Small variations based on character choices, and effort to keep new PoF characters in the narrative rather than throwing them away.Leaving Joko offscreen for now to build tension with excellent "interrogation log" is good storytelling.Presence of opportunity to use HoT mastry that is entirely optional and not progression blocking. More of this please.

Dislike:Overall lack of ingame rewards is even worse than LS3, combined with increased gem store prices. Game is straying even further away from the buy to play model.Only worthwhile Ingame reward is even more grindy and full of lazy annoying scavenger hunt achievements than previous LS seasons.Lazy copypaste mastry with nonexistant narrative justification.Battle for Amnoon lacks permanence. We could have some sort of phasing approach to replace ambient VO and some decorations to reflect the battle without splitting it in to two zones."Save Taimi" again. I love Taimi but you're really overusing her. Same story could have been told more effectively with any other character and an inquest golem.Too many tedious one liners. Seriously. Stop it. We don't need this much comic relief.

The last boss of the story felt abit too tanky but then again i was playing mesmer so guess i deserved.

Also im kinda sad that there seems to be no reference to the sunspear sactuarry and the marshal if you have done the griffon collection which i find to be a let down considering the focus on the sun spears.

Also thatbthe book about astralaria doesnt say more, esp to ppl that made the thing. FeelsBad.

As for the rest. I love the map and the size, i absolutelly welcome the more mature and serious note the episode had and i love the small touches ans references to race and class. Great start imo.

Not finished but..

Likes:New map is beautiful.Love the meta events.So excited to return here after playing Nightfall.New mastery didn't require much grinding.Map not designed around 100% needing a griffon - I'm so afraid this'll happen and lock other players out of future content over an optional mount but it didn't this time!OMG Paragons still exist!New minis look greatAurene!Plenty of treasure to find - meta feels rewardingOMG the Scarab plague! The actual Scarab Plague!A certain city was not branded and changed in open world - thank you!JOKO! I was hoping PoF would not be the last we heard of himThe music!Very minor but.. the night sky. It's very stunning when you're up high at a vista.Rox!

Dislikes:The stupid lights in the first instance that ruined my enjoyment of the entire event and turned it into a "oh god I need to finish this before I puke" race to the finishWay too much knockback, stun, and trash mobs in the first instanceUnable to stop and talk to optional NPC in first instance due to trash mobs and NPC AITrash mobs only target the player in first instanceMobs are doing way too much CC and condi in open world - think of the squishies!AoE circle obsession - absolute reverse of the nice change in PoF that presented fights with mechanics and not so much unavoidable, punishing AoE dance (except you, Crystal Fragment in Crystalline Memories. You and your flashing crystals in your last phase can burn in the heck of an unwashed Charr's armpit in summer)Michael Bay Philosophy getting worse ("the more explosions/bright lights, the BETTER!")Grimdark storyline - hope this gets lighterWhere is Zojja? With all that talk of Snaff in PoF ... why is she not even contacted or anything? Is she dead?Lack of consideration for Melee only or Ranged only toons. "Let the NPCs kill it" should not be the way to finish a story because the bosses have become build specific.Seizure warning now actually needed. Light sensitivity, sensory sensitivity, and migraine sensitivity ones needed to. This should not even be a thing when everything up to HoT's Bitter Harvest didn't require it because effects were reasonable but still conveyed the atmosphereRaptor skin looks like it was taken directly from the joke "Legendary Kasmeer mount" video.Bugs. So many bugs - Griffon putting me on the ground when I get on it, Canach going invisible, invincible WyvernMeta needs a huge zerg which promises it'll die off in a monthB-Salt AKA Braham

Overall:

Story 2/10 - have not enjoyed a single instance thus farNew Map 8/10 - needs a few tweaks but very nice!New items 5/10 - Average. Not great. Not a flop.

@Aerlen.5326 said:Not finished but..

Likes:New map is beautiful.Love the meta events.So excited to return here after playing Nightfall.New mastery didn't require much grinding.Map not designed around 100% needing a griffon - I'm so afraid this'll happen and lock other players out of future content over an optional mount but it didn't this time!OMG Paragons still exist!New minis look greatAurene!Plenty of treasure to find - meta feels rewardingOMG the Scarab plague! The actual Scarab Plague!A certain city was not branded and changed in open world - thank you!JOKO! I was hoping PoF would not be the last we heard of himThe music!Very minor but.. the night sky. It's very stunning when you're up high at a vista.Rox!

Dislikes:The stupid lights in the first instance that ruined my enjoyment of the entire event and turned it into a "oh god I need to finish this before I puke" race to the finishWay too much knockback, stun, and trash mobs in the first instanceUnable to stop and talk to optional NPC in first instance due to trash mobs and NPC AITrash mobs only target the player in first instanceMobs are doing way too much CC and condi in open world - think of the squishies!AoE circle obsession - absolute reverse of the nice change in PoF that presented fights with mechanics and not so much unavoidable, punishing AoE dance (except you, Crystal Fragment in Crystalline Memories. You and your flashing crystals in your last phase can burn in the heck of an unwashed Charr's armpit in summer)Michael Bay Philosophy getting worse ("the more explosions/bright lights, the BETTER!")Grimdark storyline - hope this gets lighterWhere is Zojja? With all that talk of Snaff in PoF ... why is she not even contacted or anything? Is she dead?Lack of consideration for Melee only or Ranged only toons. "Let the NPCs kill it" should not be the way to finish a story because the bosses have become build specific.Seizure warning now actually needed. Light sensitivity, sensory sensitivity, and migraine sensitivity ones needed to. This should not even be a thing when everything up to HoT's Bitter Harvest didn't require it because effects were reasonable but still conveyed the atmosphereRaptor skin looks like it was taken directly from the joke "Legendary Kasmeer mount" video.Bugs. So many bugs - Griffon putting me on the ground when I get on it, Canach going invisible, invincible WyvernMeta needs a huge zerg which promises it'll die off in a monthB-Salt AKA Braham

Overall:

Story 2/10 - have not enjoyed a single instance thus farNew Map 8/10 - needs a few tweaks but very nice!New items 5/10 - Average. Not great. Not a flop.

There is a seizure warning in the box. Now yeah go back and rate it properly because the story deserves more than that.

Pretty nice map, nice effects.Story was ok, a little underwhelming back story of the Sunspears. I think it might of needed a bit different introduction into the secret sunspear order. Joko felt dominating and evil. That's a good thing, a character u can learn to despise.

Overall id say it was pretty good... BUT ONE THING THAST BOTHERS MEEEE

NO JUMPING PUZZLE !?!?!?!?!?!?!

The story, maps, meta, fractal, and general improvements made this patch were really good. It added a lot of content to do, which is nice. In terms of criticsms:

Some of the actual bosses (wyvern, last instance) were extremely HP heavy. Wyvern especially was pretty boring of a fight. Rytlock decided to not help at all and watch from stairs far away too which was a bit annoying. If it had some mechanics it wouldnt be bad, but it felt like a HP sponge.

The Warden boss in The Hero of Istan instance probably has too much AOE. It was particle effects and AOE effects galore and they chained into eachother with little wiggle room. It didn't hurt much, it was just annoying. I feel the same way for the fight in the meta with the same boss.

There were a ton of trash mobs in these instances. It was a bit annoying on a ranger personally, not hard just tedious. A slight cutback on the 50 mob spawns would be lovely.

@zealex.9410 said:

There is a seizure warning in the box. Now yeah go back and rate it properly because the story deserves more than that.

What box? Your PoF had a box that said: "Warning! We have Michael Bay Disease! All effects will continued to be ramped up until even people without health issues will melt their eyeballs. Please do not play if you value your eyesight and don't like eating aspirin." Did your HoT box say: "Warning! The last story instance has an achieve called "migraine" for a reason because of visual effects." My game was free of all these effects until the end of HoT story and I didn't see a darn thing about any of this. What edition do you have? If it's the generic seizure warning - no dice because that was on GW2 core game and that game had zero effects like this.

Also I don't have seizures, I have migraines :) Two different things. Is there a migraine warning?

Also (last one I promise), I also rated it on the mechanics destroying my enjoyment, bad AI design, glitches, and lack of enjoyment SO FAR. I haven't finished! When I get to the last instance, that may change.

In comparison, I gave PoF story an 8/10 for being challenging, generally fair, good on mechanics, wonderful in story, and a pleasure to play. PoF has one very awful instance that I can overlook because the rest was amazing. Maybe LW S4 will too.... but I'm not holding out hope.

.... now where is my PoF box. I want a PoF box!

Locking wvw reward tracks so far in the LS story line when there are blunt gates for pve content is the WORST chose you can make for a video game and for players who buy your expansion for more wvw effects but not for pve. In effect your locking wvw content behind pve walls major pve walls. What where you thinking?

Ended up getting a mezmer to do it for me so i could just get to the story's just for the wvw reward tracks. I hope this is how you like ppl to play your game because THIS is the worst way to have a wvw content all be it small added for your wvw players.

First, a pet peeve: the new zone is wonderful and nice and all that, good job, but it nonetheless suffers from the same GW2-centric problem as pretty much every other GW2 zone: without the handy dandy place names on the world map, how the heck would we even know where we are? There are so few recognizable landmarks. And by that I mean, the land itself is different. If you want to be creative and free with the world building, why not send us to NEW, as in previously unknown, areas?

If you're in a hurry, here's the TL;DR: last night, my resolve (embargo!) to not spend money on this game was weakening, and I was thinking yet again of upgrading my second account with both HoT and PoF, primarily due to the lure of gliding, elite specs, and mounts, oh my. By the time I reached the final LS4 Chapter One story mission, however, I was thinking instead of uninstalling GW2 and never looking back.

Here's why:

• I disabled something or other that prevented the boss from taking damage. I disabled it again. Hey! I disabled it again.
  • I was subjected to mass quantities of AOE carpet bombing spam. I was subjected to mass quantities of AOE carpet bombing spam again. Hey!
  • I got knocked back. I got knocked back again. What the hey?
  • I fought off several hundred waves (slight exaggeration applied for emphasis) of enemies while some NPC did something to eventually let us move on. I fought off... hey, come on.
  • I was condi-spammed. I was condi-spammed again. What does Fonzie's motorcycle run on? HE-E-EY!
  • Ooh! Ah! Ooh! Ah! Wait. This isn't a fireworks display. Is it?
  • Braham, or, as I like to call him, Bramm-Bramm. Can has Trahernia back? He may have basked in the old secondhand glory a few too many times, but he never made me want to punch a hole in my monitor. Hey! Somebody should make a video, and whenever Braham speaks, have him say "Bramm! Bramm! Bramm-bramm-bramm!" That would be cool.

So, anyway, that's the gist of it. Thanks for listening. Hey.

I loved the LS3 maps and liked the story, but you totally went next-level with this release. It's amazing!

This was IMO the best story bit we've had yet, and Istan is absolutely gorgeous. Where the LS3 maps eventually relied on the map currency farming for replayability, this one is packed with metas, Brandstone hunting, adventures and events. Great job, can't wait for more!

Overall really good. The new zone is nice, events and metas are good, feels like there's a lot more to do than in the whole of PoF! Heart missions quite quick to progress which is good. Story good overall (any story bits with Taimi in get a thumbs up from me).

The bad-Mob intensity in open map is insane, no space to stop and take in thr scenery, remount, or chat etc unless you kill everything!-Boss fights felt a bit dragged out-The game randomly freezes in the new zone (I have to close via task manager & reload). I've never had that happen anywhere else in the game.

Ran through the episode last night. Did not read spoilers. Used Viper's condi Scourge with no vitality, healing, Blood Magic, or other defensive stat's and traits. No deaths.

• Liked being able to get out of combat to mount or swap utilities.
  • Liked the number of trash mobs, which kept Scourge from starving for LF
  • Story was interesting.
  • Dialogue was good.
  • Liked seeing Aurene's growth.
  • Ally NPCs were very effective, which reduced the skill burden

Inconsistent map design to its predecessor

let me start this with you did this with bitterfrost frontier where the lore contradicts map design, go speak to any kodan in frostgorge heck do the dungeon you'll see what I mean about the ice temples.

Domain of Istan, I do not see how 200+ years of a sea level island form mountain ranges like they have in GW2, it makes zero sense for there to be mountain ranges like that, yes there was mountain ranges in gw1s version but nothing like mount everest thats in gw2.

What is with the map design and is there a reason for the map changes to the map in gw1? I understand time changes most things but land masses not quite so.Didn't know Joko learnt Terra Forming /s

I liked the story and all the historic lore to explore in the new map. Especially The Astralarium is a favorite hangout/ enjoy the scenery place for me.

1) One thing that really annoyed me is the overuse of flashing crystals/Lightning and (first instance) and the bright/flashy Orange aoe's (last instance). There where too much and i was really fighting the flashes instead of the mobs. Its like Ray of Judgement in gw 1 (monk), everywhere constantly.2) One other thing is there where too much trash mobs in the later part of the story. I ended the fight succesfully but tired.3) The new maps (since LS 3 and Pof) have too much standard mobs, i was constantly fighting a lot of ibogas, even when the only player, when exploring. It could use some more balance between mob dense and mobless space.

@Frostfang.5109 said:

@Tails.9372 said:

@Frostfang.5109 said:Can we plz get a teenage Aurene mini!Oh come on this is almost the only thing you actually can buy with the new currency, how did you not notice that?

U can? Where????? The only thing i've found is a branded wyvern.

Same vendor as the Branded Wyvern, think it was added on an update cause i did not notice it there when I went there at release either.

Please stop the bright animations.

Fire should not be neon redPurple should not be neon purple.There should not be so much motion within all of the two or three toned animations.It's too bright, happening too quickly across the screen.

Please can you take into consideration the more muted tones like you used to do with older instances. And no, I don't have medical issues or anything of the sort, but getting motion sickness because everything is neon bright on the enemy's side is not cool. It doesn't make me want to play the story again.

I know you can still pull animations from older seasons or even from personal stories to make them work. And the brandstorm was the absolute nightmare. You doing too many bright, flashy things and packing it in small areas. Just please, consider toning it down so I can actually look forward to wanting to do the story/Living Seasons, instead of dreading for my health.

It's a big amazing update! 1st thing that i jumped in was a story.

! It started with brandstorm at Amnoon city where i had to fight branded, crush crystal power sources, avoid lightning strikes and everything that mobs threw at me. Number of foes and dirt that they flew at me made me focus. It was spectacular and fun. Next i travelled to new island location.BMTYQ91.jpg

New map is beautiful locations full of hostile foes. I like that an Awakaned in this map has their own city. These zombies are military force, different from zombies in Orr island. As they are in their homeland, they are usually outnumbered single player. I felt the difference. I'm very happy that fauna hasn't sand snakes, but has more of deadly it's members such as mesmer snake and thunderstick and vortex bug.I also like that pirates in this location. They are more pirates than anywhere in the game. They make pirate commentaries, fight each other, they live in wooden pile of crap, they can even make profit from your laziness and have FLEET with many cutthroats!I like everything about battle events in this map. Awakaned capital city siege, pirate captains encounter, Awakaned supply interception. Events gave me good rewards, omg finally rewards in PoF thank you, Anet. Meta bosses has crazy set on skills animations. There are space laser airstrikes, nukes, aoe spell storm. At night this is even more contrast and flashy.

! VbKdiTY.jpgX7nsoY8.jpgPO8QB3i.jpgIt's Raining Men !!!! I can't not to love it.! ANaiDy6.jpgSqs9hTc.jpgI like map visuals. Of course it has bugs, but they have not damaged my eyes too much. Here is my favorite place : the bloody cave. A blood cuts through rock not because of its power, but because of bugs of the game. I have never seen that much red blood in gw2.! utO8lta.jpgLRGZoBy.jpgBack to the story.! In Champion's Dawn story mission i don't like Koss. He had to be awakened sunspear champion but he is not "Champion" he is elite/silver foe. i followed trail of bodies, so i prepared myself to tough fight. Defeat Koss was easy task. He was more defensive boss then offensive. Block, healing, easy to break CC bar. Easy boss named Koss, it's not what i expected. The Hero of Istan missions remainded me of Witcher 3. "Impossible task with coin", debt and prision break with help of magic. Can't blame you for lack of imagination. Prision break mission was interesting with bunch of cool stuff: prisioner outfit, skeleton guy, "101 Things That the Mordant Crescent Doesn't Want You to Know". Animation of speaking was ridiculous XD. And that boss battle. She is hot, then she's cold.... amazing.The First City! I think it's my most memorable mission. Anet gave us very good final mission for Daybreak episode. Canach as always amazing, tossing his sarcastis commentaries. Asuran slaughterhouse that was creepy for me because my character is asura, all these dead bodies... But when Braham appeared,i laughed so hard. Those wings, no helmet omg boy! And after this deed of the Savior he started battle against holographic wall. What a change of situation! From creepy to funny. Scruffy battle was great! I like little details in this boss encounter. If my shot missed static storm, characters will say something about that. "Sorry but i'm trying". Here is another little detail Taimi has red eyes before battle, and normal eye colour after it. She was going to suffocate, so these red eyes. This is scary. And finally i saw scrapper enemies with gyros! Omg! Story characters evolve in their classes, so i was glad to see scraper foe. I like image of destination in the asura gates - cool. My character /kneel when she speak to rescued boy Taimi. And inquest's consoles was not bad too)))! NwpNqGA.jpgMaOsLpt.jpgucOx9Hs.jpgVBrItur.jpg! Summary. This update is one big pice of cake for me. I like the story, i like new area, new fractal. I like other changes like key ring, mirage axe fix. I like that you brought more voiced dialogues. I will not accept another tripple A MMORPG without good voice acting, because of you. You did well. I don't like some visual effects on map which i will report in "bugs" later. So i'm happy, this is big amount of content, good content. Thank you, Anet, your team is amazing. I apologies for lack of brevity.

@Lilyanna.9361 said:Please stop the bright animations.

Fire should not be neon redPurple should not be neon purple.There should not be so much motion within all of the two or three toned animations.It's too bright, happening too quickly across the screen.

Please can you take into consideration the more muted tones like you used to do with older instances. And no, I don't have medical issues or anything of the sort, but getting motion sickness because everything is neon bright on the enemy's side is not cool. It doesn't make me want to play the story again.

I know you can still pull animations from older seasons or even from personal stories to make them work. And the brandstorm was the absolute nightmare. You doing too many bright, flashy things and packing it in small areas. Just please, consider toning it down so I can actually look forward to wanting to do the story/Living Seasons, instead of dreading for my health.

^^this^^ I am going to repeat: stop with all the over-the-top graphic effects. I was very nauseous by the end of the first instance fight. What Lilyanna has pointed out so succinctly is a bit of a problem.

If you go back and read some of the comments regarding these effects, you will notice a lot of folks would appreciate the ability to tone these effects down. You could offer a slider or click box so folks can tone down all the graphic effects individually, without removing them for others. Here is just one thread regarding this issue: https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/comment/290990#Comment_290990

It is worth a read by one of your developers. After all, you have color blindness options, so why not add this to that category?

As a pure mapper I always am slow with doing storiesBut I just heared from a coworker who raged after he DC-ed after a 90 minute () end boss fightIt gave me shivvers as I tried the HoT finish 2 times that ate 45 minutes to end in a full reset when downand the PoF endfight that was just pres 1, maybe 1..1 and followed by : restart at waypoint .. 40+ times.That one made me laugh and wonder if a more tactical fight using skills wouldnt be more fun ( ofcourse it would )

So I guess this story, like so many before, will go into deep storage half way tru ....

I practically stopped completing stories long ago when they introduced the "stand-on-red-on-a-friday-and-not-get-hit-by-green-blobs" type achieves

I rather do a fifth map complete even when that gives a rare L80 in stead of the L80 exotics we once got :-)

Storysteps shouldn't take over an hourGive me a normal boss and make some nice achieve for the achievers fighting the same with hitpoints times 10:-)

Story and the execution of it 7/10 (it would be 5/10 due to that mess of a first instance, but a certain somebody we encounter later brought it up 2 points) Seriously, I rushed to my home instance hoping y'all pulled a M.O.X. but was sadface. Also disappointed there's no nifty rewards.New map 8/10. I love the overall appearance and feeling like I always have things to do. Dislike the new magic gathering whose only purpose it seems is to give us a random new mastery. Dislike the heavy atmospheric haze in many places which tanks my fps and can't be managed through graphic options.

Here is my feedback:

• Large amount of content -- the map was pretty big and the story felt substantial
  • New keys and currencies added to the wallet

Dislikes:

• Having no dialogue choices -- In general but also specifically in relation to Braham. I am not sure why the pc tolerates him, really. We should have some dialogue choices and have the option to express opinions rather than being a doormat.