Let’s Talk About Marketing... — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Let’s Talk About Marketing...

My name is Mike Silbowitz and I am the Head of Global Marketing here at ArenaNet. I got the opportunity to chat with some of you this week during our Reddit Dev Celebration and really enjoyed the discussions and feedback on how to best create assets to support our Guild Wars 2 releases. I’ve met with our Marketing Team to discuss your feedback and we look forward to implementing many of your constructive and insightful suggestions over the course of the next few months.

Because of the positive experience I had chatting with you all this week, I wanted to continue to test the waters and include you in the feedback process for one of our unreleased marketing assets. You have a lot of knowledge about and experience with Guild Wars 2, so why not tap your expertise and passion in reviewing a video we plan to use to engage potential new players? This unreleased video features positive accolades from our loyal fans while displaying gameplay in a way that will hopefully resonate with a new audience who may not have the rich history and knowledge you already possess. This would go live this month, targeting views by people who have never played our game, or those who may have stepped away from GW2. Any constructive feedback you can provide about this video, either positive or negative, will help us present GW2 in the best light possible.

I really hope you enjoy this sneak peek of the video and look forward to incorporating as much of your constructive feedback as possible in making something we all can be proud to share with our friends as an example of why they need to play GW2.

Thank you and Happy Wintersday

Mike Silbowitz a.k.a "Sibs"
Head of Global Marketing @ ArenaNet
Reddit: AnetHoGM

Tagged:
<<134567

Comments

• Calanthe.3857Calanthe.3857 Member ✭✭

The cinematics are beautiful and the music is good, but I feel like the font of the quotes doesn't mesh well with the video. The font feels off somehow. Like maybe make it gold and more stylized without reducing its readibility. And maybe a voice actor should read some of the quotes.

• Zionka.6897Zionka.6897 Member ✭✭

I love it as is, it's a really powerful video IMO.. the music, the images, if I wasn't already a fan, only knew it existed and little more than that, this would totally make me want to try it out. The only tiniest thing that might be missing is a few seconds of an actual combat scene, rather than, or in addition to, people just drawing their weapons. The combat here, with the motion and fluidity is one of many things I like here. The jackal scene is perfection, with him running across the sand, was my favorite snip.

• Orimidu.9604Orimidu.9604 Member ✭✭✭

I get that the goal of the video shown is to entice new players to join the game, but I feel that you could add Living World Season 4 onto it. If future assets aren't ready yet, add existing content surrounding Palawa Joko. Include his funny quips from The Departing mission and add some of the Twilight Oasis fractal, while throwing in some Anet commentary about how Season 4 will revisit the legend of Joko and reveal more about his origin (assuming that's the direction you're taking). That sort of direction entices new players while also catering to GW1 players who might have ignored GW2 for being too different from the original.

New players will see that you're a company dedicated on churning out new content for the player so they won't feel "done" after they've finished the initial game and expansions. Old players will see that you're paying attention to unresolved lore and possibly come back to take a look.

It's a win-win.

• Fatemaster.3590Fatemaster.3590 Member ✭✭✭

Showing off the Jackal is always a plus, it's probably the coolest of all of the mounts in my opinion, maybe you could even show off the different skins for the mounts. My favorite part of the trailers is that quick scene where Joko's and Balthazar's minions are charging into each other, it was also used in a previous trailer for maybe a second longer. I think though I've just always been a fan of watching scenes of large battles in game going back to GW1 when you could play the story of Turai Ossa and watch the massive battle unfold in the background.

• IndigoSundown.5419IndigoSundown.5419 Member ✭✭✭

Other posters have provided suggestions about things to add to the video (or to replace some of the existing vignettes). How long of a video are you aiming for? A minute seems short for a Youtube video, but placed on other platforms might be just about the right length.

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it. -- Santayana

• rcb.3685rcb.3685 Member

@Cragga the Eighty Third.6015 said:
    Actually, on consideration, I think the player quotes could work well in conjunction with more meaty, from-the-company info.

Like:
    "Five sprawling new maps, filled with adventure and mystery." (And then the player quote)
    "Mounts that let you travel the world as never before" (and then the player quote about mounts)
    "Face a rogue god, bent on destruction." (Then the I Love The Story quote)

This would be my preferred way to go! Maybe get some V/O for the lines describing the types of new content, but then the player testimonials can stay just as text?

• JustTrogdor.7892JustTrogdor.7892 Member ✭✭✭

@IndigoSundown.5419 said:
    Other posters have provided suggestions about things to add to the video (or to replace some of the existing vignettes). How long of a video are you aiming for? A minute seems short for a Youtube video, but placed on other platforms might be just about the right length.

Agree as far as Youtube goes, 1 and 1/2 minutes to 2 with the right content, cinematic and actual footage of in game play might help. Just don't go all WoodenPotatoes mode with drawing it out too long. Sorry WP ;)

• @X T D.6458 said:
    First, I would not use quotes from the forum, use narration with a Gaelic/Celtic voice (It is just perfect for narrating). This makes it look like you are only cherry picking and showing the stuff that's favorable to you. It's why I never watch videos that people post of themselves from youtube, they are always edited to make themselves look good. Use lines from the game, many of your trailers have great narration, use that instead.

Second, I never see GW2 advertised anywhere except for the occasional online link. If you had the resources to produce a television ad, it could bring in a lot of interest and new players. Maybe try hooking up with Steam, that can connect a ton of potential customers to GW2, and other Anet/NcSoft games.

Third, marketing needs to focus on changing consumer emotions and thoughts. That music is good, but you need to add something stronger that makes the blood flow. Music is a powerful tool that can affect how people feel and think, and more importantly how they associate those feelings with a product. The visual aspect needs to display what a player can do. You can be sexy, heroic, and embark on great adventures in a huge world. Showing some npc's walking around does not do that. Showing a player exploring a beautiful map, and suddenly getting attacked by an enormous beast ambushing them while the music shifts from peaceful to heart pounding and combative, does that. It makes people more interested.

@X T D.6458 said:
    First, I would not use quotes from the forum, use narration with a Gaelic/Celtic voice (It is just perfect for narrating). This makes it look like you are only cherry picking and showing the stuff that's favorable to you. It's why I never watch videos that people post of themselves from youtube, they are always edited to make themselves look good. Use lines from the game, many of your trailers have great narration, use that instead.

Second, I never see GW2 advertised anywhere except for the occasional online link. If you had the resources to produce a television ad, it could bring in a lot of interest and new players. Maybe try hooking up with Steam, that can connect a ton of potential customers to GW2, and other Anet/NcSoft games.

Third, marketing needs to focus on changing consumer emotions and thoughts. That music is good, but you need to add something stronger that makes the blood flow. Music is a powerful tool that can affect how people feel and think, and more importantly how they associate those feelings with a product. The visual aspect needs to display what a player can do. You can be sexy, heroic, and embark on great adventures in a huge world. Showing some npc's walking around does not do that. Showing a player exploring a beautiful map, and suddenly getting attacked by an enormous beast ambushing them while the music shifts from peaceful to heart pounding and combative, does that. It makes people more interested.

Thank you for this. I agree that we need to go broader with our advertising. TV and Out of Home is something we need to consider, particularly to engage new players.

Music is key to tap into the emotional connection and leaning on our beautiful content is key, particularly when we show to player experience.

• @Calanthe.3857 said:
    The cinematics are beautiful and the music is good, but I feel like the font of the quotes doesn't mesh well with the video. The font feels off somehow. Like maybe make it gold and more stylized without reducing its readibility. And maybe a voice actor should read some of the quotes.

I see your point on the fonts. I’m gonna discuss this with the team and also look into what can be done with the voice actors. Thank you :-)

• Ricky.4706Ricky.4706 Member ✭✭
    edited December 2

anyone see the new Deadpool 2 movie trailer ? /home/leaving?target=https%3A%2F%2Fyoutu.be%2F8-Cjsnq8kVU" class="Popup

I'd love to see something like that for gw2, because the game itself does have a great sense of humor thats part of what makes GW2 a fun place to be. "you ran from skrittt!!" ......something like a skritt narrating about life in tyria as a pirate lol! ...with random cut scenes of action packed fights from different parts of the game, filled with footage of users having fun.......and a funny script - those kinds of things have viral power, and the humor itself is a selling point that sets the tone of the environment we want you to have fun in! Plus the video script itself is memorable

• Carlin Sanders.3587Carlin Sanders.3587 Member ✭✭✭

I agree with the others, less quotes from people I likely won't know, more credible sources, and put the emphasis on what the xpac brings to the player, such as mounts, huge maps, elite specs and more! Add in something to challenge/dare the player like "Are you strong enough to defeat war itself?" as part of the excitement for new releases includes the challenges it presents.

Also making the video longer won't hurt, as the shorter videos tend to be forgotten more than the longer ones. think of the video as a play showcasing everything good about your product, something that draws people in with wonderful music, great story moments, beautiful environments and fun gameplay!

• Rennie.6750Rennie.6750 Member ✭✭✭

I believe you'd get more impact if you also talked about all the existing content. Numbers speak for themselves, more than quotes. Something like x dungeons (add fractals to the count maybe), y raids, z events, xy maps, xz story instances and so on. If you're showing me quotes from active players for a game I don't play I will likely ignore it, after all they're not playing a game they don't like. Obviously I'm not going to do all the hard work for you but I hope you get the idea.

• Ziooo.8932Ziooo.8932 Member ✭✭

I don't normally respond in forum posts, i tend to only read them and that's it. But i liked this one, so i'll give you my opinion :)
    The video is decent. But there are a few problems (is that the right word?) that i feel need to be addressed.

• First and foremost: the quotes! They seem a bit out of place, the color, the font et cetera. And who are those saying these things? I mean, i understand they are players (some of them seem to be, at least) but to a possibly-new-player? No. They also cover the background scenes, which imo sell the game better.
    • Which brings us to the second point: the scenes! Well, apart from the fact that some of them are half covered by the quotes, they seem to be mostly fights and have way too much movement (which divides your attention while trying to read the quotes and understand whats happening in the background at the same time). All too flashy and intense (the first 30ish secs seem fine, then it escalates). Also, new players won't understand what's being shown (probably even returning players).

The rest seems fine. I really like some of the scenes and the music, kinda resembles the of the trailer (which i loved).

• @IndigoSundown.5419 said:

Hi! The video is intended to be about 1 minute in length and utilized via social channels targeting people who play video games but have not yet played GW2.

• I only have one thing to note:

... "while displaying gameplay "...
    I didn't see any gameplay footage. Lots of sweeping low angles and pretty shots of nameless characters/gods. Like most snippet trailers I see for games it shows nothing that will actually be experienced outside of cutscene footage. That footage isn't gameplay, and provides no reference to the joy of a griffon race, bouncing up a towering pinnacle, or leaping across canyons. The graphics are nice, but that's all this showcases, not the content or the actual experience.

• Alatar.7364Alatar.7364 Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2

People tend to know Websites more than they know Criticts, etc. I'd suggest looking for some Official Reviews of known websites, I am pretty sure you will find positive reviews and you'll be able to put it in your Video, so new people will actually be amazed that this and that website rates the Xpac well.
    Also, this might just be a Personal taste, but I still believe that a bit of Action makes for a better impression than 'dramatic' camera zooms and rotations. I think that something bit more breath-taking will have a better outcome. Also, I am quite sure that what makes One buy/try a game, is when it gets stuck, when it gets under the skin. So adding something a little Mysterious, maybe a glimpse of Something.

PS: The right Music is one of the most important aspects of anything. Be it Movie, Video or Trailer, Music will do 50% of the Job. You need something that sounds more Action-like, but also at the same time is not the Classical Cliche style, that will be a pretty hard part to get right, but it is the one that really matters.

EDIT: Also, maybe less close-ups of fighting People and more Shots of Landscape, Maps.

EDIT2: Forgot to Add, that this Post of Yours is finally a Step in the Right Direction. Because, with all due Respect to all of Anet Staff, there was not much of a Communication which is the very foundation of succes in MMO games. Good Job.

~ I Aear cân ven na mar

<<134567
©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.